Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Report Button Idea...

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
I think the report button should be updated and you can click on a reason like foul language, sharing account info, etc. So they cant just type in something like: Saying hi. Disagree/agree? Also, if they click on something they didnt do, KI can mute them for 10 days for the first time, second time, a month third time is a 10 year mute or ban.

EDIT:

The first time is a warning
Second time is 1 week mute
Third time you lose your report button.

I think that makes it a little bit better?

Explorer
Jul 31, 2011
I think that would be a nice addition. ONLY reportable offences are listed, that way there is NO question.

Selections/options could be:

Vulgar profanity/swearing around filters
Sexual profanity/Inappropriate activity
Bullying
Suicide threat
Illegal activity (drugs, rape)
Threat of violence
Sharing/trading/giving of account info
Sharing/giving of personal info
Hacker
Code/crown generator promoting

Would make it easier for everyone of all ages.

Survivor
Jul 24, 2012
I totally agree it would be way easier so there and no false reports....and if someone clicks on something you didnt do ki should check to make sure they did that and if they didnt they should be muted for 10 days

Defender
Mar 10, 2012
jennm2203 wrote:
I think that would be a nice addition. ONLY reportable offences are listed, that way there is NO question.

Bullying
Suicide threat
Threat of violence
Hacker

Reportable offenses not offences

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Explorer
Jul 31, 2011
conno365 wrote:
jennm2203 wrote:

Bullying
Suicide threat
Threat of violence
Hacker

OK big deal. you got the point right? Spell check messed up and you are so big to point it out. W101 would have the final say anyway so unless they say ok it is just a suggestion, I offered examples, I s/c spell check mixup due to typing on a mobile device is not a crime.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
conno365 wrote:

The spelling of offenses is correct both ways. This isn't just a US site anymore. Most Europeans and Canadians spell it with a 'c'.

Delver
Feb 28, 2012
This idea will completely eliminate the non-reportable things (rudeness, chain-stunning, false report, etc.) from being reported in the first place. VERY GOOD IDEA!

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
Newicewizard wrote:
I totally agree it would be way easier so there and no false reports....and if someone clicks on something you didnt do ki should check to make sure they did that and if they didnt they should be muted for 10 days

Actually, that could be first time it happens. Second time could be muted for a month, third time muted forever or banned.

Jasmine/Jessica

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
I wold like people to remember that they can report others using the help and support tab on this site. If you can write he vulgar wizard's name down, the realm, world area, and time of day, you may report that person at your leisure and with great detail. I can live with a menu chat setup for in game reporting, but if this is implemented, people must be aware that they can still make reports on the website.

I suspect someone is trying to, "pull a fast one," within this thread. The idea sounds like a good idea, and seems harmless. I just can't shake the feeling that some of the more avid supporters of this idea are trying to create a loop hole that they can abuse later. As if they have several vulgar acts they wish to commit, and want the reporting system made narrow and inflexible, so they may harass people and escape punishment via technicality.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
zebulous wrote:
I wold like people to remember that they can report others using the help and support tab on this site. If you can write he vulgar wizard's name down, the realm, world area, and time of day, you may report that person at your leisure and with great detail. I can live with a menu chat setup for in game reporting, but if this is implemented, people must be aware that they can still make reports on the website.

I suspect someone is trying to, "pull a fast one," within this thread. The idea sounds like a good idea, and seems harmless. I just can't shake the feeling that some of the more avid supporters of this idea are trying to create a loop hole that they can abuse later. As if they have several vulgar acts they wish to commit, and want the reporting system made narrow and inflexible, so they may harass people and escape punishment via technicality.

Sure you can, Zeb. But 25 million players means an overlap in name choices~ if reporting through the website, simply naming the foul-mouthed wizard isn't enough.

As it is, there's too much grey area, when it comes to reporting, and that's part of the problem. This system is simple and leaves no room for misinterpretation as to what is or isn't reportable~ it's also easier to use, for little kids or people with physical conditions not conducive to typing a lot. And I sincerely doubt that anyone here has any kind of sinister agenda or ulterior motives~ doesn't hurt to anticipate, but there's a line between that and paranoia.

I've also seen videos on YouTube of wizards who spam false reports at people, and they put things like "being a loser" or "cocoa pebbles" in the report box... this wouldn't eliminate false reports, but it would keep KI's staff from becoming inundated with them.

Here's my take on the list above~ things that would be included, were this to be implemented.

Profanity
Sex/drug reference
Hate speech (specify racial, religious, ethnic, anti-gay, gender-based)
Violence (threats, suicide or rape talk)
Solicitation/giving of account info
Solicitation of personal info
Hacking threats
Code/crown generator promotion
Impersonation of KI staff.

-

/my 2 cents,

Laura/veebz
a Wizard City Protector

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
In addition to my post above, I have another idea:

If this system is implemented, it could also be used to remind players of the ToU they agreed to upon signup. For example, if you click the 'profanity' option, a pop-up would appear:

WARNING: False reports are against the rules and may result in sanctions against YOUR account. Do you wish to continue?

Then, the reporter would click Yes or No.

-

Again, it wouldn't eliminate false reports entirely, but it probably would cut them in half.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
I like this idea. :P Except I think that the terms "Sexual" and "Anti-gay" and "Rape" are a little inappropriate... I think "Inappropriate References" would be better... Just for safety, who wants a little kid asking their parents what that is? The parent may misunderstand (Not everyone's parents are willing to listen; mines included, as little as I want to realize/admit it.), and stop paying to the game... And we don't want safety to somehow be "unsafe" now do we?

PS: I never knew, are Menu chatters with subs able to report? I wouldn't understand the point...

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
vonawesome1 wrote:

If this system is implemented, it could also be used to remind players of the ToU they agreed to upon signup. For example, if you click the 'profanity' option, a pop-up would appear:

WARNING: False reports are against the rules and may result in sanctions against YOUR account. Do you wish to continue?

-

Again, it wouldn't eliminate false reports entirely, but it probably would cut them in half.

Agreed :)

Jasmine FireBlade/Jessica SparkleGem.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
grahambhg wrote:
This idea will completely eliminate the non-reportable things (rudeness, chain-stunning, false report, etc.) from being reported in the first place. VERY GOOD IDEA!

This is a very good idea. I would make reporting much easier.

As for eliminating, false reports, I doubt that. If a person is going to false report you it does not matter what they type in. The chances are since I have been falsely reported a couple of times, they are going to pick any or the worst option to do this with. BUT always remember, those false reports go back on them not you.

Defender
Mar 10, 2012
vonawesome1 wrote:

-

I am pretty sure they are all aware of the consequences, yet they still dont obey this rule and abuse the report button.

Defender
Aug 07, 2011
I think this is an excellent idea. Personally, I would love it. The two lists suggested above seem pretty complete and KI could determine if it covers everything or not. It would be far more effective than the current system. I saw an You Tube where someone was showing you they didn't get banned immediately for false reporting and was typing in the report basis as things that are themselves reportable offense. I'm betting he did get himself banned (didn't seem to understand that it wasn't always instant and must have typed in 20 disgusting things) and while someone like that would probably just keep clicking on the worst option, it wouldn't be as much "fun" (twisted idea of fun but whatever) for him and he'd still get banned for doing that massive amount of false reporting.

Survivor
May 26, 2012
less false report i freaked out one time someone reported me for nothing

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Ronster55 wrote:
I like this idea. :P Except I think that the terms "Sexual" and "Anti-gay" and "Rape" are a little inappropriate... I think "Inappropriate References" would be better... Just for safety, who wants a little kid asking their parents what that is? The parent may misunderstand (Not everyone's parents are willing to listen; mines included, as little as I want to realize/admit it.), and stop paying to the game... And we don't want safety to somehow be "unsafe" now do we?

PS: I never knew, are Menu chatters with subs able to report? I wouldn't understand the point...

Hey, Ronster~ I only put those terms there for reference, as in those are the offenses that would fall under each category. I hope that KI wouldn't include them on the report-menu... that wouldn't be cool; that said, when reporting slurs, it might be helpful if KI knows what type we're reporting for, so they understand that these are legit reports and we're not simply reporting for "being rude".

And yes, that's what my parents were like... I was verrrry sheltered as a child, which is also a form of "unsafety"; not giving your kids the tools to protect themselves is just as bad as letting them run wild.

I don't see why menu-chatters would have a reason to report~ they can't see any ToU violations (since they can't see what's typed by text and open-chat players). That said, muted players can probably report, since they can still see what the others are saying... Maybe KI will verify this for you, if you email Support.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
sammystarr7 wrote:
less false report i freaked out one time someone reported me for nothing

Sammy, this idea will not necessarily stop or reduce the false reports. But it will make reporting a lot easier by being able to select the offense and sending it rather than having to type one in. This would leave no question as to what the offender has done. Plus KI would still receive the same amount of chat logs they are currently receiving when a report is made.

The thing to remember is that as long as you KNOW you have done nothing to break the rulse, don't worry about an occasional false report. It happens to many of us. The player that makes it a habit to file false reports can and will be sanctioned. One of those sanctions is the LOSS of THEIR report button.

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
I agree that this should be made a bit more specific. Plus more options could be added to offer an option for all reportable offenses. I also agree that there should be a notice warning of false reporting before doing the report.

I think this would help a lot!

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
Defender
Mar 10, 2012
Ki's method is better and is fair, this one is down right harsh. If your having problems with people just take off text chat.

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
Agreed. Though first time offense for a false report should be a warning. Not a 10 day mute. The kids that do report might not realize all the rules compared to an adult. Really being banned after your third false report is a bit much.

One example is... someone reports someone for scamming three times in a day. Right now scamming is not a reportable offense. So that person would get muted for a false report that he/she didn't know about.

Just my thoughts. :?

Defender
May 17, 2011