Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Deck/Card Mix (tips for proper card mix)

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 08, 2008
Curious to see if anyone had any particular good hints to provide around proper card mix within your card deck (including those from equipment).

While I'm up to level 30 now and have done fairly well to date, one of the most frustrating things I still run into is going into a battle and the initial cards in my "hand" are not really good for a battle and I'm wishing that I could restart the battle with a new hand. Anyone have any good pointers or tips you've picked up that help you in battles.

For example, one of the first items I learned (took me a while) was the proper use of 0 pip spells to get you where you need to use the higher pip (higher damage) cards so I try to keep a fair sampling of those handy.

I've also discovered that as I've gotten deeper in the game, I've pretty much eliminated 1 pip damage cards because they don't get me where I need to be to eliminate the creatures I'm fighting.

One tip I saw this morning was actually using the treasure card slots only for health cards rather than damage cards. I know I haven't used treasure cards effectively in the past, and I thought this was a pretty good idea.

Anyone else learned anything cool like that in your adventures? Multiple decks? Recommended ratio of damage/shield/multiplier cards?

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
The nice thing about the game is that you can almost always determine your foe's school before you enter combat.

Solo:
Do I need prisms? If so, in a 30 card deck: add 4.
Main attack school spell: add 4.
Zero-pip traps: add 4
Zero-pip swords: add 4
Heal spells (2 pip): add 3
Do I have shields vs this school: add 3
Secondary attack school spell: add 3
Reshuffle: add 1
(4 slots variable)

Team: Add support spells if you have (1 point heal, etc)

I like choosing spells from my realm (ie if I am death then spirit (death, myth and life) )so I can use the lvl 22/25 spirit trap/spirit baldes from Niles) in my variable slot to boost item spells and teammates.

Survivor
Jan 26, 2009
I've learned to never use a full deck if I want to play well against the monsters I am facing. I learned the first time around that a max deck is more cards to have to get rid of to find the cards I needed. Now unless I'm fighting a boss I only have about 15 cards max in my hand.

My treasure cards are all armor cards. Basically its a 500 point heal, and Sprite cards.

Survivor
Dec 17, 2008
I have a life wizard, and like you mentioned, I have life/healing spells in my treasure cards. My deck is built on a pinewood deck, having max of centaurs, seraphs, and blades. When I am about to face a boss, I check his school, and whatever his main school is then I put that shield in with my deck.
So, so far, centaurs, seraphs, blades and shields. Then, two reshuffles. When playing, as soon as I see one reshuffle, I discard it. I don't use traps. As soon as you throw out a trap someone will hit it with their wand, so yay. Blade does 40% over the 25% the trap does, so stick with blades. If I am facing a life school opponent, Life prism.
And that's it.
Blades
Centaurs
Seraphs
Shields (dependent on school type)
Two Reshuffles
Life Prism if opponent is life
Pinewood deck only lets you have 16 cards, and i carry the higher pip cards because at this point you will get lots of power pips, so no worries there. Higher pip cards and zero support. Oh, and I did break down and purchase an earth walker pet. Life card 5 pip earth walker. Just gives me an extra card without carrying one.
This keeps my deck lean and fast. I soloed mooshu (even Jade Oni, which I am not going to lie, was tough).
If i get hurt, treasure card a pixie.

Survivor
Mar 02, 2009
Hi, I am new here and was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a printable index of the cards.

Defender
Sep 15, 2008
Adapre42 wrote:
Curious to see if anyone had any particular good hints to provide around proper card mix within your card deck (including those from equipment).

While I'm up to level 30 now and have done fairly well to date, one of the most frustrating things I still run into is going into a battle and the initial cards in my "hand" are not really good for a battle and I'm wishing that I could restart the battle with a new hand. Anyone have any good pointers or tips you've picked up that help you in battles.

For example, one of the first items I learned (took me a while) was the proper use of 0 pip spells to get you where you need to use the higher pip (higher damage) cards so I try to keep a fair sampling of those handy.

I've also discovered that as I've gotten deeper in the game, I've pretty much eliminated 1 pip damage cards because they don't get me where I need to be to eliminate the creatures I'm fighting.

One tip I saw this morning was actually using the treasure card slots only for health cards rather than damage cards. I know I haven't used treasure cards effectively in the past, and I thought this was a pretty good idea.

Anyone else learned anything cool like that in your adventures? Multiple decks? Recommended ratio of damage/shield/multiplier cards?

Ok I'm in dragonspyre, i use

Max Blades
Max Traps
3-6 Heal
Rest 4 pips or higher attack spells

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
aaronfiresword243 wrote:
Hi, I am new here and was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a printable index of the cards.

The closest thing I have seen is over on Wizard101 Central several have listed all the treasure cards they have and almost everything was there.
(See link to the left to go to Wizard101 Central).

Explorer
Feb 09, 2009
Your instincts are pretty much spot on so far.

I also hd the idea to use my short decks when doing PvE but got tired fo swapping them back and forth. Plus I don't want to get used to fighting in different tempo when fighting PvP.

I play PvE with the same team that I play PvP with. So we get all the practice we need while running the game together. If we have cards in our opening hands we don't need we just discard the extra cards. That way you go through your deck faster without having to equip different things.