Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Bad secondary school

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 18, 2012
Hello All,First off I'm new to wizard101 and chose storm as my wizard.Not knowing much about the game I picked balance for secondary school.My wizard is at level 20 now and realizing this was likely a bad choice and I should have chosen life.My question is should I continue on with balance,start using points on life,or just delete and create a new wizard.Yes I know you can reset points for crowns but not knowing about game purchasing system I bought a membership.I now wish I had used the money on crowns and purchased the locked areas but since I didn't I'm trying to avoid purchasing crowns.Thank you in advance to all who respond and sorry if I got a bit long winded!

Survivor
Jun 02, 2012
Well, if you have only used your training points for balance spells, haven't completed any of Zeke's quests, and are between a level sixteen and twenty-two (you said you were a twenty) you should still twelve skill points available to you throughout the game. At a level thirty-five you will be able to train up to the sprite in Life, if you do not complete any of Zeke's quests. If you complete three of Zeke's quests, you can complete up to a sprite at level twenty.

If you still need to know more, I suggest using a skill point calculator.

Emmaline Mythblade
Grandmaster Pyromancer

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
rhamnales wrote:
Hello All,First off I'm new to wizard101 and chose storm as my wizard.Not knowing much about the game I picked balance for secondary school.My wizard is at level 20 now and realizing this was likely a bad choice and I should have chosen life.My question is should I continue on with balance,start using points on life,or just delete and create a new wizard.Yes I know you can reset points for crowns but not knowing about game purchasing system I bought a membership.I now wish I had used the money on crowns and purchased the locked areas but since I didn't I'm trying to avoid purchasing crowns.Thank you in advance to all who respond and sorry if I got a bit long winded!

I recommend training in Life and not buying back. Weakness is what Balance is used for mostly and it's fine.

I suggest Life to Satyr and then Ice to Tower.

Not knowing about secondary schools, I had my first wizard (also a Storm) dabble in many. I finally decided to train Fire to the shield and Life to Satyr. Then I got my Sun spells, and Reshuffle.

Survivor
Apr 10, 2012
save up your training points, dont train anything, secondary schools are useless later in the game

Survivor
Apr 10, 2012
Delver
Jan 13, 2010
rhamnales wrote:

No, stick with balance. Your storm, right. I am a balance lvl 77 almost lvl 78 and i suggest stick with balance

Survivor
Jun 18, 2012
Thanks for the tips.I had been doing quests alone and when I would have a bad streak of fizzles I'd end up dying.Has been alleviated somewhat with increased deck capacity but I still am not crazy about my combo of storm and balance.The balance attacks take away power pips and aren't as strong so I only put the 1 sandstorm into deck plus a few weakness and just use storm attacks.Think I'll just try to save them up for now.Where would I find the training point calculator mentioned in one of the posts?Thanks again I appreciate all the help.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
There is a script or algorithm in the game that prevents fizzles from happening to often in a row. Set up your blades and traps, think think about needing to heal. You see, if you cast lightning bat and it fizzles, you should try to cast another lightning bat or storm shark the next turn. At this point you are less likely to fizzle again. You can fizzle three times in a row back to back, but it is rare. If you cast anything else, any spell that doesn't fizzle, then your next attack has just as much chance of fizzling as if you had restarted the battle.

When I play my storm wizard, I always try to cast an attack spell after each fizzle. Try to figure out what is necessary to kill the normal monsters around you. For example: wand blast, wand blast, blade, trap, heal, attack(or fizzle), attack(or fizzle), attack(slight chance of fizzle), attack(fizzles are not possible at this point unless you have a dispel charm floating around your head.) heal, and repeat. This attack pattern works well for me. I rarely fizzle more than twice in a row.

Survivor
Jun 18, 2012
Zebulous,Thanks for the info.This shows how much of a noob I am but I didn't realize the "accuracy" charm lessened chance of a fizzle by 10%.I've been doing better since getting the larger deck and haven't died since.Are there secondary spells you can get without having to learn lower rank spells first other than shields from the fairegrounds girl? Considering secondary spells can consume power pips without getting the pip bonus does anyone really use them for attack spells? I'm new I admit but it seems a waste to me.I've played lots of other MMORPG's and never had so many people offering help/advice.This game truly has an outstanding community.

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
I'm storm and I got all sun spells, accuracy for pierce (pvp) and the damage boosting for mobs. I also got some star.

Explorer
Feb 12, 2011
rhamnales wrote:
Zebulous,Thanks for the info.This shows how much of a noob I am but I didn't realize the "accuracy" charm lessened chance of a fizzle by 10%.I've been doing better since getting the larger deck and haven't died since.Are there secondary spells you can get without having to learn lower rank spells first other than shields from the fairegrounds girl? Considering secondary spells can consume power pips without getting the pip bonus does anyone really use them for attack spells? I'm new I admit but it seems a waste to me.I've played lots of other MMORPG's and never had so many people offering help/advice.This game truly has an outstanding community.

Secondary schools are only useful in the beginning of the game. Early on, you are more likely to get lots of white pips, so using an off school spell is using up the same amount of pips as your school spells. Later, once you start getting more power pips, using off school spells will put you at a disadvantage (unless you have a mastery amulet to maximize your power pips). By the time my wizards hit about lvl 30-35, all off school attack spells have disappeared from their main deck.

Every wizard I have does train - Death to Feint / Life to Satyr /Ice to Tower if I have enough points to do it. Death might be the one I leave out if I need to. Feint is nice to have, but I think the Tower is much more helpful (if you have to pick) I do have a life amulet, so training life is a no-brainer for me.

Btw -you do have to train all the lower spells, to get to the higher ones (wouldn't it be nice to pick and choose!)

I recommend saving some of your training points for the sun spells you start getting at level 50. There are a total of 37 training points (I think that is the current number) by the time you reach lvl 80, with quite a few quests in ZF and AV that award points.

Defender
Mar 09, 2009
When I brought my storm wizard into the world, I trained for life secondary. This helped me in 2 ways:
1.) Getting up to the Satyr card (really helps with healing)
2.) Since Storm fizzles a lot, especially at the lower levels, I used the life attack spells MORE than the storm spells, as the life spells have a 90% accuracy rate, rather than the much lower 70% accuracy rate of the storm spells. Of course that changed once I was able to get my accuracy up with new gear.

Reed Firehammer

Delver
Jul 21, 2009
rhamnales wrote:

Tell you the truth being you do not wish to reset your points with crowns and your only level 20 I would del it and make a new one you will need them points later on .There a few few options you can take .

option 1 : life up to Satyr and Ice up to Tower
option 2 : Ice up to Tower and Death up to Feint

But you Really want to take Ice to tower that Shield is a life saver by cutting the attacks back by 50%. later on you want to Learn a few spells from Star school and Sun School. If you were higher level then it be worth saving the wizard but level 20 is to easy to get . Good luck hope this helps you .

Survivor
Jun 18, 2012
Thank you all again for the advice.I decided I couldn't wait until I had enough gold to get a mount with all the running back and forth and got some crowns for a mount and reset my points.I now have life to spirit armor so far and I plan to follow the advice given by several people to train life to satyr and ice to tower but for now I will just save my points until I start having difficulty defeating bosses.You have all been very helpful and I was so surprised to see so many people offering advice and no one making fun of the noob.I will recommend this game to everyone I meet from now on.

Survivor
Apr 14, 2012
If you don't have any crowns, click on buy crowns, but if you trained all of your secondary or third school spells, make sure you get the most.

Explorer
Apr 21, 2012
hello everyone! there is no bad secondary school. let me explain.
balance= for a wizard who wants to keep things in shape.
storm= for a wizard who is loud and like to create a bit of chaos!
fire= for a wizard who likes hot things.
ice= for a wizard who likes cold things.
myth= for a wizard who likes to make up things.
life= for a wizard who likes plants and gardening.
death= for a bitter wizard who dislikes and avoids nice and living things.

there you go match yourself with these!

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
rhamnales wrote:
Thank you all again for the advice.I decided I couldn't wait until I had enough gold to get a mount with all the running back and forth and got some crowns for a mount and reset my points.I now have life to spirit armor so far and I plan to follow the advice given by several people to train life to satyr and ice to tower but for now I will just save my points until I start having difficulty defeating bosses.You have all been very helpful and I was so surprised to see so many people offering advice and no one making fun of the noob.I will recommend this game to everyone I meet from now on.

We were all noobs at one point or another and altho I have taken several wizards though the game I still consider myself learning something new all the time. Getting little hints and help a long the way is really great. I started by visiting wizards101central.com when I found I just wasn't playing the game well enough to go on.

As for out of schools spells - on my first wizard I did do that but none other because around level 40 I found it was a waste of my precious power pips, the only spell that remained was Feint which I mainly just used in boss fights since I soloed. If you train to Satyr later on that is going to cost you 8 pips when they are power pips and you are given a 2 pip health spell just put 2 of them in your deck, at that point aren't you just going to run the wave and kill the monsters. I was lucky with my first wizard I could do the 3 quests in Zafaria so I had enough points to get to Colossus.

My Storm is true to her school - the only outside spells I get now are ones that will enhance the school given ones starting with the blade from Niles, then I will continue to the Sun Spells for the damage boost. I can fill in with Treasure Cards for anything else I want to add because I end up with tons of them.

Since I started the game things in the gear selection have improved greatly so I can make any wizard good to go with just using their school spells and gear. I have to admit spritely pets are my down fall - I have one on each of my wizards and I don't care what other talents it has. To bad Storm doesn't have a better Minion or I would use that more also.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
I am an archmage storm warlord and I am running the balance mastery amulet now. I trained up to weakness, unbalance and reshuffle. From what I have seen you have trained up to sandstorm which is not a bad investment. An enhanced sandstorm can easily take out minions, and at your lvl, monstrous sandstorm can clear an entire area of monsters. I certainly dont recommend continuing along your training path for balance. Depending on whether you are going for PvP or PvE, you still have a lot of room for improvement. It isnt desperate enough to warrant a delete. I recommend heading into another school for now.

Survivor
Mar 13, 2011
I am going to point out some things that I, myself, realized they help a lot when you're ready to choose your secondary school rather than tell you what to do. :)

Your main school is the one you are going to need the most! You will eventually have all the spells and you'll be able to use powerpoints (unless you have purchased a school amulet). In addition your wizard will have more accuracy or strenth due to your gear. The "plus" you get from your gear though will only affect you main school's spells. And that brings me to the next "tip".

Secondary spells, in my opinion, shouldn't be used as attacking spells. They help you recover your health or as shields or buffs. In order to use them you don't need more than, let's say 1 pip for the shields and 4 pips for the health (satyr) so they help you build up pips to use the spells from your main school (attack and defeat.)
Secondary spells are as I call them, my "help" spells. :D

So let's say you have a Myth wizard. What I would do is train Life up to Satyr. Then, Death up to Feint (70% next outgoing spell and +30% next incoming spell) and that's it! Then you can use your training points on Balance (Tree outside the Balance school in Krokotopia) or keep them and spent them when you enter Celestia!

I have five wizards, all of them have the same exact secondary schools. Life for Satyr and Death for feint . I think those two spells are must-have's.

I just wanted to share my opinion! You could try it sometime and see how it goes! Have fun playing the game, young wizard! :-)

Delver
Jun 17, 2012
ericgao21 wrote:
save up your training points, dont train anything
You must be crazy.