Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ice

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 19, 2010
i think there is a problem with how people treat ice. First they say it is one of the worst schools out there then they claim it is overpowered in PVP. Can the complainers stop i can think of many complaints for each school. So stop putting down ice.

Delver
Apr 11, 2012
I'm a Life wizard and I have heard people say that Ice is "weak". I don't think it is and the those complaints about Ice aren't true.

P.S. what's your complaint about Life?

Explorer
Feb 12, 2011
Ice is not weak at all. BUT, it is rough at first. You don't get your blade until lvl 38 - and until then you struggle to get decent damage. Health might be higher than everyone else, but when you have to go 7-8 rounds in battle instead of 3 or 4? You need that health. It is at this level people scream about ice being weak. Frankly, it kind of is.

Once ice gets to grandmaster, things turn around. Put crafted gear and add sun spells on legendary and up? Yea, then Ice is powerful. And it is at this level that people scream about ice being overpowered. Frankly, it kind of is.

~Amy (lvl 80 ice)

Delver
Apr 11, 2012
amy7274 wrote:
Ice is not weak at all. BUT, it is rough at first. You don't get your blade until lvl 38 - and until then you struggle to get decent damage. Health might be higher than everyone else, but when you have to go 7-8 rounds in battle instead of 3 or 4? You need that health. It is at this level people scream about ice being weak. Frankly, it kind of is.

Once ice gets to grandmaster, things turn around. Put crafted gear and add sun spells on legendary and up? Yea, then Ice is powerful. And it is at this level that people scream about ice being overpowered. Frankly, it kind of is.

~Amy (lvl 80 ice)

yeah, it is kinda rough at first, (my friend told me that) but when you get an ice blade and an ice colosuss, things really start turning around.

P.S. Is your character's name Amy Moonshade?

Miranda ThunderGem
"Be Amazed"

Explorer
Jun 04, 2011
I'm a level 45 ice, and I honestly don't know why people complain about ice being too weak, or too strong later on. Really, being an Ice is harsh at first, ( agreed, Amy), but it doesn't mean we are showing our true colors. Ice can be rough, but we can become powerful with later on gear and other stuff. High health? Low attack power? Look at storm. Low health, High attack power? It's just to balance out all the schools. So the complaints should stop, because Ice isn't any more powerful than the rest. If you do the right things in game, than any wizard can equal the other.

Emmaline Iceshard

Lvl. 45 Ice :)

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
I'm an archmage Balance wizard, but have a few Ice wizards my level as friends and have seen them in action enough times to know that those stories about them being "weak" are totally not true.

Most recently, an archmage Ice friend and I paid a visit to the Crown of Fire. Being a good little Balance wizard, I stood there and buffed her~ amulet Balanceblade, trained one, and Bladestorm, plus a treasure Elemental Blade (she'd trained Elemental Blade, so mine wouldn't stack with it), before reshuffling and blading myself.

Then, I removed any Weakness traps on her, decimated the minions, and took a few cheap shots~ that way, my friend could buff up while he spammed Weakness at me instead. Then, I threw down an amulet Hex (just in case), and she smashed him the next round with a Colossus that did close to 20,000 damage... Only when the cut-scene at the end kicked in, did we have a chance to recover from our stupefied shock. Even my friend was surprised!

-

This particular friend wanted her Ice wizard to be a lean, mean, fighting machine. So she gave up a huge chunk of resistance (I think mine's slightly higher) for a damage boost of 48%, which is big for Ice... Because they're the tank class, their base damage is slightly lower, but it's easy for an archmage thaumaturge to pull off Storm-strength hits.

As for me, my little Ice wizard is only level 18... I'll cross that bridge when I get there. ;)

Explorer
Feb 12, 2011
Galaxyl0l wrote:
amy7274 wrote:

~Amy (lvl 80 ice)

yeah, it is kinda rough at first, (my friend told me that) but when you get an ice blade and an ice colosuss, things really start turning around.

P.S. Is your character's name Amy Moonshade?

Miranda ThunderGem
"Be Amazed"

Wow - name is close, but no. Amy Moonpetal :)

Oh, and just to be clear - I do agree that once Ice gets lvl 56 crafted gear from WT, we start to become pretty unstoppable - and by AV crafted gear, well we have all heard the resist complaints.
Between gear and pets, I carry 4 stackable blades (5 if I include TC blade), add in our crazy high damage bubble and colossal sun spell? Pssh, my Mammoth is something awesome to behold :) Weak? not at all. And I no longer even bother carrying traps in my deck (unless going against a Myth boss, and that dreaded Earthquake)

PS - I do not PvP, so my opinion is based on the PvE world....

Survivor
Nov 25, 2011
goldencrumb07 wrote:
I'm a level 45 ice, and I honestly don't know why people complain about ice being too weak, or too strong later on. Really, being an Ice is harsh at first, ( agreed, Amy), but it doesn't mean we are showing our true colors. Ice can be rough, but we can become powerful with later on gear and other stuff. High health? Low attack power? Look at storm. Low health, High attack power? It's just to balance out all the schools. So the complaints should stop, because Ice isn't any more powerful than the rest. If you do the right things in game, than any wizard can equal the other.

Emmaline Iceshard

Lvl. 45 Ice :)
True, everything is give and take to try and balance the schools, but there is such a thing as changing TOO much. Right now, Ice can have total immunity to fire and storm. Tell me, do you think that is balanced?

Explorer
Dec 19, 2010
Galaxyl0l wrote:
I'm a Life wizard and I have heard people say that Ice is "weak". I don't think it is and the those complaints about Ice aren't true.

These are all the complaints i can think at the moment. That i heard from people that only do pvp. These are not my opinions i only have heard them from other people on forums.

Ice resist is to high(if you take away that how are we going to survie any battles)

Life i forgot the name of this spell but it brings you back to life with like a lot of health(taking away this spell would only be ok if we took healing away from all other schools)

Myth they suumon minions to do all their work(they dont have high attack, resist, or health)

Storm people say they have to high attack power(exact opposite of ice they have the lowest health so they have to kill fast)

Fire pretty much the same as storm(again pretty much the same thing as storm)

Death they can attack and heal in one turn(their health is the second lowest health i think it might be fire please correct me if i am wrong)

I want everyone to know that these are not my opinions i am just stating what i have seen on these forums( i personally think all schools are equal it is just how you use them that makes the difference)

Defender
Aug 06, 2011
I will guarrantee you that 85% of the people that diss Ice are judging the untouched, raw attack power that comes with Ice spell cards. Because, once a Thaumaturge reaches Level 40, they are virtually a second fire school. Given the astral spells, Ice can mount some pretty sick attack power, smothering enemies. And, at that stage, who else can survive for 15+ Rounds alone in a boss fight in a place such as Celestia? Noy many. Ice's tank 4-5k health points can save many deaths or flees, and even help to assure victory. So, and every manner of speaking, Ice can compete with the big dogs.

I.e. I am currently working on a storm wizard, and he obviously can devastate enemies in one round. However, I often die in battles to street mobs given Storm's very low health points. I have an Ice wizard ubn practically the same spot as my storm, and I have not yet died to a street mob. (Krokotopia, by the way).

Delver
Apr 11, 2012
A month ago, I was in Mooshu and I got caught in a battle. Someone just joined in to help me i think and then he started telling me about how my clothes made him think i was ice and then he asked me why i was wearing white/blue instead of green. I told him i like the color of ice and i like it's powerful colossus spell then he said ice was weak :| and i got that from lots of people who said ice was weak I'm starting to wonder if people are going a little too far with this 'ice is weak' thing.

I think they should just stop it because there is nothing wrong with ice (i'm a huge fan of ice ) and i got those 'ice is weak' complaints from almost every world I've been to except wizard city...

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
vonawesome1 wrote:
I'm an archmage Balance wizard, but have a few Ice wizards my level as friends and have seen them in action enough times to know that those stories about them being "weak" are totally not true.

Most recently, an archmage Ice friend and I paid a visit to the Crown of Fire. Being a good little Balance wizard, I stood there and buffed her~ amulet Balanceblade, trained one, and Bladestorm, plus a treasure Elemental Blade (she'd trained Elemental Blade, so mine wouldn't stack with it), before reshuffling and blading myself.

Then, I removed any Weakness traps on her, decimated the minions, and took a few cheap shots~ that way, my friend could buff up while he spammed Weakness at me instead. Then, I threw down an amulet Hex (just in case), and she smashed him the next round with a Colossus that did close to 20,000 damage... Only when the cut-scene at the end kicked in, did we have a chance to recover from our stupefied shock. Even my friend was surprised!

-

This particular friend wanted her Ice wizard to be a lean, mean, fighting machine. So she gave up a huge chunk of resistance (I think mine's slightly higher) for a damage boost of 48%, which is big for Ice... Because they're the tank class, their base damage is slightly lower, but it's easy for an archmage thaumaturge to pull off Storm-strength hits.

As for me, my little Ice wizard is only level 18... I'll cross that bridge when I get there. ;)

Yeah, I'll admit, I'm the Archmage Ice vonawesome is talking about.

Ice attack spells are very weak in the beginning until Wintertusk, when you can craft the L56 gear. Then things start to change for the better. In Celestia, the Astral spells, and getting the Astral Colossus in Zafaria help even more.

I don't PvP, so I couldn't tell you how my Ice would do. I decided to go with a balance of offense and defense. This meant giving up the potential of super high resistance, to get better damage boost, healing, accuracy, and power pip chance. My Fire resistance is 57%, Storm is 65%, and the rest of the schools are at 28% or 29% (I forgot which).

I do keep several pieces of gear in my backpack so I can switch at any time, depending on if I need more defense, or more offense capability.

My Ice health ranges between 5362 - 5695, depending on my gear. My accuracy is at 101%, which means I never fizzle. My damage boost is 42-48%, depending on gear, and healing is 34 - 50%, depending on gear. I have 90% power pip chance.

My Ice is a tank, and is affectionately known as "Tank Girl". I've been called upon so many times to help others with bosses and dungeons, and I always take the first spot on the fighting sigil. I love my Ice wizard. As much as I love the other schools, Ice has become my favorite.

And, when vonawesome and I hit the Crown of Fire to fight Malistaire, we both work as an excellent team to defeat the enemy, and have a lot of fun doing it.

My Ice wizard also kept her second school, Death as a backup. I feel it's an excellent and deadly combination (in a good way). I have a Death amulet, plus I have 28% damage boost, and 102% accuracy for my Death spells.

So, in the beginning, Ice is pretty weak, but if you stick with it, through thick and thin, you will be very happy with the results as you get to higher levels. Honestly, PvE is where it counts. That's where you have the most fun with your Ice.

Brynn IceBlade, L80 Ice
"Tank Girl"

Delver
Apr 11, 2012
QueQueg wrote:
vonawesome1 wrote:

-

Yeah, I'll admit, I'm the Archmage Ice vonawesome is talking about.

Ice attack spells are very weak in the beginning until Wintertusk, when you can craft the L56 gear. Then things start to change for the better. In Celestia, the Astral spells, and getting the Astral Colossus in Zafaria help even more.

I don't PvP, so I couldn't tell you how my Ice would do. I decided to go with a balance of offense and defense. This meant giving up the potential of super high resistance, to get better damage boost, healing, accuracy, and power pip chance. My Fire resistance is 57%, Storm is 65%, and the rest of the schools are at 28% or 29% (I forgot which).

I do keep several pieces of gear in my backpack so I can switch at any time, depending on if I need more defense, or more offense capability.

My Ice health ranges between 5362 - 5695, depending on my gear. My accuracy is at 101%, which means I never fizzle. My damage boost is 42-48%, depending on gear, and healing is 34 - 50%, depending on gear. I have 90% power pip chance.

My Ice is a tank, and is affectionately known as "Tank Girl". I've been called upon so many times to help others with bosses and dungeons, and I always take the first spot on the fighting sigil. I love my Ice wizard. As much as I love the other schools, Ice has become my favorite.

And, when vonawesome and I hit the Crown of Fire to fight Malistaire, we both work as an excellent team to defeat the enemy, and have a lot of fun doing it.

My Ice wizard also kept her second school, Death as a backup. I feel it's an excellent and deadly combination (in a good way). I have a Death amulet, plus I have 28% damage boost, and 102% accuracy for my Death spells.

So, in the beginning, Ice is pretty weak, but if you stick with it, through thick and thin, you will be very happy with the results as you get to higher levels. Honestly, PvE is where it counts. That's where you have the most fun with your Ice.

Brynn IceBlade, L80 Ice
"Tank Girl"

Wow, impressive stats for an ice wizard... i was exepcting around 4,500 health but wow more than 5,000? Now that's a very impressive wizard QueQueg, a very impressive wizard ;) Honestly ice is a very good school, but i still sport life...

Miranda ThunderGem
Life- secondary school Fire- L46+

Delver
Jan 13, 2010
Galaxyl0l wrote:

Whoever said Ice is Weak you should see my friend Gabriel Wildweaver! He was helping me in Ghost Avalon when he used a Frost Giant which did 18000 damage and he did NOT get critical, just blades and traps and i am not sure about boost.

Cole Dunerunner

Lvl 80 Archmage Sorcerer Hero of Avalon

Survivor
Jul 07, 2011
I also think that Ice put downs are pointless! My best friend (Zachary Shadowshade)is an Ice and he's really powerful!Ice are awesome,in my defense.And I'm a pyromancer! Ice should not be downgraded!

Hunter Dragonheart,
Level 74 Pyromancer

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Wow, impressive stats for an ice wizard... i was exepcting around 4,500 health but wow more than 5,000? Now that's a very impressive wizard QueQueg, a very impressive wizard Honestly ice is a very good school, but i still sport life...

Miranda ThunderGem
Life- secondary school Fire- L46+

Thank you! :)

I work really hard to try and get the best balance of stats I can for my Ice. I still have some Ice gear I'm still farming for in Zafaria and Avalon, that seems to elude me thus far.

I love all the schools for their differences and accomplishments. Each one is a challenge to learn, and to learn HOW to use them. Not everyone will like Ice, nor will everyone like another particular school. That's their choice and I certainly respect that.

So far, I have not seen any Ice wizards with stats close to mine. It's probably because they go for more resistance, which is great, however, battles will take longer, because the offense stats will be much lower.

I'm still trying to get my version of the perfect Ice pet. Not necessarily with resistance (although that would be a bonus), but one with good damage boost, power pips, and health boost.

Have fun, and enjoy your Ice :)

Delver
Apr 11, 2012
aditha12 wrote:
Galaxyl0l wrote:

Whoever said Ice is Weak you should see my friend Gabriel Wildweaver! He was helping me in Ghost Avalon when he used a Frost Giant which did 18000 damage and he did NOT get critical, just blades and traps and i am not sure about boost.

Cole Dunerunner

Lvl 80 Archmage Sorcerer Hero of Avalon

That's really impressive... the thing about the frost giant 18,000 damage thing is awesome. Tell your friend i said that he's a really great wizard .

Explorer
Apr 21, 2012
sorry guys for all the things! they say it is the worst? well the worst is storm. it always seems to fizzle! i mean the spells are awesome! but they are no good if they fizzle a lot.