Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Porting to Locked Worlds

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Aug 01, 2009
Just wondering what everyone's perspective is on people porting to places they don't have yet.

Let me put out a few questions:
1.) Do you ever port to high lvl worlds and what do you do there and what is your etiquette?
2.) What's your feeling about low levels porting.
3.) Anything else?

Here's my answers :3

1.) Yes, I have gone to worlds I haven't unlocked.
I'm a level 42+ in Questing in Mooshu currently.

One amazing high lvl friend of mine allows me to farm with him in winter tusk, which I have yet to get through by trudging through GH, and has taken me to just look around ZF and AV.

I personally ask no matter what before porting to my higher lvl friends there. (I have a lot o.o) I can hold my ground even in battle in Avalon, so I know the risks of being there, and I know that I won't be a burden while exploring, and I find that to be very important for people exploring higher worlds.
I actually made a friend when exploring avalon and was actually invited to join a battle since the people wanted some more enemies to fight.

I personally only go to ZF for the Vengeance TC sooooooo not much to say there. XD

2.) I'm fine with low levels porting to me unless they mess up the whole battle. I don't have any menu chat players on my list, so I don't wory much there.

Only thing is that thy could ask before porting XD (most my friends do)

3.) I think people should learn to ask before porting and joining battles.
After being accidentally stuck in a battle in winter tusk by the HalfFang instance's sigil and taking 5-10 minutes to defeat two of them, I've learned people really don't want a random low lvl joining XD

Avalon is worse o.o got hit by an earthquake and medusa same turn, would have killed any lower lvl and left those in he battle wih extra enemies.

In general I also don't like "area beggars" you could call them, which would be people begging or demanding you take them somewhere.

I mean, I understand just asking to visit (I do so a lot) but demanding to and such is plain rude.

I met a lvl 23 in ZF 'commons' who I first asked why he was there, in which he ported there, as I did. I then noticed his lvl and stated he should try lvling some more, as he wouldn't survive here, in which he proceeded to seem to think I was stupid by saying he soloed a fight cause he got a good spell card, I don't think 1300 health would last a round or two of zafaria alone. Then he asked for a panther, which I suggested he try getting a mount with gold, and added him to help out, which he started demanding me to take him everywhere so I removed him.
I think those are plain rude manners, and really, why would someone even have to be told to ask nicely and such.

/endrantthingy

Anyone else have any answers to these questions and such :D

Survivor
Jun 02, 2012
lionheart999 wrote:
1.) Do you ever port to high lvl worlds and what do you do there and what is your etiquette?
3.) Anything else?

1. Yes, I do. I'm currently in Celestia, but I port to the Avalon and ZF. First off, I do not jump in people's battles unless they are calling for help. That just seems polite. I normally only go to get away from the usual. Plus, I ask before I port, because it's just rude not to.

2.I really cannot stand for a low level (say, below 35) to port to me in battle. I absolutely resent anyone porting and then fleeing.

3. No, not that I can think of.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
1) I have in the past, at the request of higher level friends. Once I was done helping I left.
2) If they are asked to help and port in, then help. Once the duel is over, you don't necessarily have to leave, but good golly, don't jump into a battle if you aren't prepared to at least attempt to cast spells. I had that happen in Zafaria. A level 20-something was there and joined my duel and proceeded to immediately tell me she had no mana. :x
3) I agree... asking if you can port is only common courtesy. :)

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
lionheart999 wrote:

-Generally speaking, no. I don't port to areas or worlds I haven't unlocked myself, on any of my wizards, unless I'm specifically invited to~ in fact, there have only been 2 such situations:

1) I was about to do Mirror Lake with 2 friends, but one went AFK~ while we waited for her, the other took me to see Avalon. I was level 70 anyway, not a big deal.

2) I had just offed Malistaire and had just entered the CL base camp when I got a call from a friend to port to him in Trial of the Spheres. I told him no, since I hadn't unlocked the area myself, but he prodded me until I finally caved and went to help him. He was grateful, but failed to mention the cheats... until after I used a wand-strike.

...Fortunately, no one died. My friend leveled, and I got some sweet rewards out of the deal. :)

lionheart999 wrote:

It depends on that specific person.

I've had mixed experiences with this as well~ one friend, who was only level 20something, kept porting to me in Avalon and fleeing/asking for healing. Since he'd been using me as a teleport pad for a while, I deleted him.

On the flipside, a level 8 friend accidentally ported to me while I was Dragonspyre. He apologized profusely and didn't flee, but acted like a minion~ we were both Balance wizards, so he bladed/shielded/healed me while I attacked the monsters. Once we finished the fight, he thanked me for showing him "our" cool spells before porting back to his intended destination.

^^^
This kid is a shining example of courtesy and respect~ the above incident happened nearly 2 years ago, and he is still the standard by which I judge ALL low-level 'porters.

lionheart999 wrote:

3.) Anything else?

I'm not averse to showing newbies around~ they can even ride on my spiffy Hydra mount! But I would appreciate it if they:

1) asked before porting;
2) stuck like glue to me once they ported;
3) made like the guy I mentioned in #2.

That is all.

~El Veeb
the Archmage of Awesomeness

Defender
Jan 01, 2009
Well said Veebs. I am only in cl now but port to zf and av a lot to help higher level friends. Wouldn't dream of porting without being asked. I am fortunate to have several young wizard friends like yours and I think the world of them. My friends low and high level know I will drop most anything to help in a tight spot. Maybe that is why I am still in cl. lol
Michael Nightgem lvl 64 Necromancer

Explorer
Jul 31, 2011
Speaking on behalf of myself, my husband and our daughter we feel the following.

The only accessible parts of locked worlds should be the common, no battle areas (near the spiral doors).... they should actually remain locked until you either get the key/quest from Merle or open it however via questing. (in a place like Zafaria where there is fighting near by, there should be an invisible barrier)

The one and only exception is when you get a spell OR pet quest in an un-opened/locked world... that one area, the single area of the quest should then open so you can port to the door/area with help of a friend.

This would help stop the power leveling and the low levels jumping into Celestia/Zafaria/Avalon fights and either begging to be healed or fleeing.

All large high EXP dungeons should always remain locked until the wizard actually gets the quest to open it, no porting, no nothing.

That is our three pennies. :)

Delver
Apr 11, 2012
lionheart999 wrote:
Just wondering what everyone's perspective is on people porting to places they don't have yet.

3.) Anything else?

One amazing high lvl friend of mine allows me to farm with him in winter tusk, which I have yet to get through by trudging through GH, and has taken me to just look around ZF and AV.

I personally ask no matter what before porting to my higher lvl friends there. (I have a lot o.o) I can hold my ground even in battle in Avalon, so I know the risks of being there, and I know that I won't be a burden while exploring, and I find that to be very important for people exploring higher worlds.
I actually made a friend when exploring avalon and was actually invited to join a battle since the people wanted some more enemies to fight.

I personally only go to ZF for the Vengeance TC sooooooo not much to say there. XD

2.) I'm fine with low levels porting to me unless they mess up the whole battle. I don't have any menu chat players on my list, so I don't wory much there.

After being accidentally stuck in a battle in winter tusk by the HalfFang instance's sigil and taking 5-10 minutes to defeat two of them, I've learned people really don't want a random low lvl joining XD

Avalon is worse o.o got hit by an earthquake and medusa same turn, would have killed any lower lvl and left those in he battle wih extra enemies.

In general I also don't like "area beggars" you could call them, which would be people begging or demanding you take them somewhere.

I mean, I understand just asking to visit (I do so a lot) but demanding to and such is plain rude.

I met a lvl 23 in ZF 'commons' who I first asked why he was there, in which he ported there, as I did. I then noticed his lvl and stated he should try lvling some more, as he wouldn't survive here, in which he proceeded to seem to think I was stupid by saying he soloed a fight cause he got a good spell card, I don't think 1300 health would last a round or two of zafaria alone. Then he asked for a panther, which I suggested he try getting a mount with gold, and added him to help out, which he started demanding me to take him everywhere so I removed him.
I think those are plain rude manners, and really, why would someone even have to be told to ask nicely and such.

/endrantthingy

1) I never need to port to other worlds I don't have access too. I have access to lots of worlds already!

2) My feeling about low levels porting to me is that I turn my port off when I feel like I don't want any distractions, and turn my port on when I'm not busy.

3) About number 2:
I normally have my port off when I quest or when I'm just a little upset. I have my port on when I'm inviting friends over to my castle and that's it.

Miranda ThunderGem
"Be Amazed"

Defender
Mar 10, 2012
1. i never ported to higher level places

2. i dont add low levels so i dont have problems or any feeling of them coming cause i dont have them as friends.

3. Nothing else, i just follow the storyline and i dont jump place to place.

Explorer
May 27, 2012
Galaxyl0l wrote:
lionheart999 wrote:

3.) Anything else?

/endrantthingy

1) I never need to port to other worlds I don't have access too. I have access to lots of worlds already!

2) My feeling about low levels porting to me is that I turn my port off when I feel like I don't want any distractions, and turn my port on when I'm not busy.

3) About number 2:
I normally have my port off when I quest or when I'm just a little upset. I have my port on when I'm inviting friends over to my castle and that's it.

Miranda ThunderGem
"Be Amazed"

Some apprentice decided to port over to me at Hall Of Valor, where I was up against Jotun with my other friends.

When I went over to Celestia, just as I went through the door, I get a friend request from....REALLY! A LEVEL 2 IN CELESTIA! ARE YOU MAD!

Mark Duskhorn
If you see a Sunbird, make a run for home!

Join the SBIAOUSAWWTDI (Sunbird is an overused spell, and we want to destroy it!)

Defender
Aug 07, 2011
I hope they never ever stop allowing lower levels to port in. Here's why:

1. If your new wizard is gardening or crafting, they need access to the gardening/crafting spells they can only get from other worlds.

2. Lower levels help with quests. I am currently working my level 75 Life through Avalon. I'm finding it fun but challenging. I have two accounts and am porting in a level 43 Balance. This is my 2nd highest wiz and she is more than holding her own. My grandson, a level 34 Fire, also ported in and helped me with one boss and he did a quite fine job of it, thank you very much. Simply put, if you can't beat a boss and no equal or higher level friends are on or free to help, those lower pals can be invaluable and telling them to help and scram is just rude. Let them explore a world they haven't seen a little.

That said -- there are certain courtesies that should be observed by said lower levels. I agree with the ask before porting for the obvious reasons though I think it is also smart to turn off ports or hide to friends since you can't rely on people to be courteous. On the other hand, the opposite is also true. I have had high level friends port in without asking and just clear everything away without letting me kill anyone when I was enjoying the challenge. Very frustrating and I let it slide because I could not think of a good tactful to tell them their "help" was not appreciated.

And it goes without saying -- though I think this is true of equal levels and just generally anyone -- that you shouldn't jump into other people's battles. I hate with a passion when people do that and I will stand there and heal myself while they die when they do it to me, especially if I almost had the mobs defeated.

Explorer
May 30, 2011
Actually lower level wizards should not be porting to locked worlds they should focus on their own quests because if they help high level players with their quests they start to lose focus on their own quests and fall behind. i used to get called for help while i was doing my own quests. and idid help but i made a critical mistake and fell behind on my quests i am an arch mage myth wizard and i only go as far as the wyrd in avalon. You see that is why lower level players should focus on their own quests so they don't end up in my position.

Defender
Aug 01, 2011
lionheart999 wrote:

3.) Anything else?

/endrantthingy

1. I don't

2. I hate when they port because they just draw an extra an enemy to the battle and flee its annoying.

3. Nothing Else.

Thomas Stormleaf
Balance Archmage

Survivor
Apr 15, 2011
lionheart999 wrote:

3.) Anything else?

1) Yes. I am level 24 and I sometimes port to DS to help my friend with some bosses
2) I am mostly fine about this. As long as they know what they are up against and don't port into battle and flee (I've heard about this going on in Celestia a lot) then I'm fine with it.
3) I am glad lower levels can port because without that feature we wouldn't be able to help our friends and they wouldn't be able to help us.

Heather Shadowthorn, Adept Diviner and happy with porting :)