Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Tired of Getting the Same Pet Over and Over

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 12, 2009
I'm getting mad cause in the pet pavilian I have hatched with bad and good pets. Some of the bad ones give you cards at baby others do this at adult, anchent, or epic. Well i've hatched with a forest beast, spirit of nature even a pixie queen and do you know what i got i got all forest lords thats all I ever get. I'm not saying I dont like forest lords its just that I want something else I mean i'm life and all those pets sounded amazing to me but all I got was forest lords. I think that in an update you should make it so you only get the other persons pet, not everyone wants to hatch with you for your petagree. I'm sorry if i made people who desighned this game mad, I just want something other than forest lords all the time. Plz make this something in the game.

Defender
Jun 23, 2011
you are not the only one dude. i got like 20 sea dragons sat at my housei use to just have one, its all about luck.

Survivor
Apr 10, 2012
Survivor
Apr 27, 2011
uber frustrating but maybe there is a reason like i hatched with a carnation pixie and obviously didnt get it but maybe that is becasue they want you to go out and buy the pack for it?

Survivor
Dec 31, 2010
I am pretty sure you will always get the pet that is a higher number/pedigree.
If it is a school pet,then you will always get the school pet.

Explorer
Feb 12, 2011
zubov56 wrote:

Nope, you have a 50/50 chance. I heard a ton of "old-wives-tales" of how to get the pet you want - but it comes down to a 50/50 chance. Sometimes it just takes a while to get what you want. When you are dealing with hybrid pets it is even worse.

The only case where you WILL NOT be able to get a pet, is a school pet (lets say death). If you do not have any death wizards on your account, you will never be able to receive wraith, scarecrow or bone dragon from a hatch. BUT if you DO have have a death wizard in your group, even a life wizard can end up with a wraith. They can't equip it, but you can get in a hatch. (I know, my Ice has received quite a few Forest Lords - she just transfers them over to the Life, so she can use them)

I also have "starfish lane" in my house - where I plopped about 15 failed hatches - all starfish (I was trying to get my starfish talents moved over to my snow beast). Yes, it took me about 20 total hatches to get 3 of the desired talents onto my snow beast. And I am still not done hatching it (stupid health gift, ugh).

Explorer
Oct 03, 2009
amy7274 wrote:
zubov56 wrote:

Nope, you have a 50/50 chance. I heard a ton of "old-wives-tales" of how to get the pet you want - but it comes down to a 50/50 chance. Sometimes it just takes a while to get what you want. When you are dealing with hybrid pets it is even worse.

The only case where you WILL NOT be able to get a pet, is a school pet (lets say death). If you do not have any death wizards on your account, you will never be able to receive wraith, scarecrow or bone dragon from a hatch. BUT if you DO have have a death wizard in your group, even a life wizard can end up with a wraith. They can't equip it, but you can get in a hatch. (I know, my Ice has received quite a few Forest Lords - she just transfers them over to the Life, so she can use them)

I also have "starfish lane" in my house - where I plopped about 15 failed hatches - all starfish (I was trying to get my starfish talents moved over to my snow beast). Yes, it took me about 20 total hatches to get 3 of the desired talents onto my snow beast. And I am still not done hatching it (stupid health gift, ugh).

more like a 10/90 chance, while both of you get the "10" part of it.

Survivor
Aug 03, 2010
MightyWizard1999 wrote:
I'm getting mad cause in the pet pavilian I have hatched with bad and good pets. Some of the bad ones give you cards at baby others do this at adult, anchent, or epic. Well i've hatched with a forest beast, spirit of nature even a pixie queen and do you know what i got i got all forest lords thats all I ever get. I'm not saying I dont like forest lords its just that I want something else I mean i'm life and all those pets sounded amazing to me but all I got was forest lords. I think that in an update you should make it so you only get the other persons pet, not everyone wants to hatch with you for your petagree. I'm sorry if i made people who desighned this game mad, I just want something other than forest lords all the time. Plz make this something in the game.

School pets are the only ones that give different breeds. DNA # doesn't really matter for them. For instance, I hatched my Mammoth with DNA 54(0) with a Bone Dragon DNA 55(0) and we both got Glacial Dragon, which is basically a cool blue bonish type dragon. You can however, if I have read correctly "swipe" attributes from ANY hatch, but as the WIKI says, it could take 7 generations or more. It's all random for the most part.

My suggestion, don't bother EVER attempting to hatch YOUR pet with ANY pet with less than DNA (60). IF you want cool mixes for Forest Lord, try a hatch with Judgement(to get Crop Watcher), Kraken(to get Cloud Beast), etc...Whatever you get will not give you a matching card. For instance, mixing a Fire Genie with a Mammoth gives you Jinn pet, but the card it gave was still a Fire Genie.

Survivor
Jul 14, 2010
Maybe Well If You Use The Same pet All The Time And Hatch With Pets Tha Are Like Almost All The Same Like Fairy Queen And A Bunch Of Those All Sound Life Or Something Pets So Try A Diffrent Pet Of Yours Or Try A Fire Pet Or Myth Or Something tell me if this help bye!!!!!!

Maria RoseHeart If You Wanna Add me come up to me and say pet when i am writeing this i'm level 33

Explorer
Jun 26, 2009
I have hatched 9 times and haven't had good luck. I hatched 8 times with my orthrus have one hybrid Frost Hound :). I have also hatched once with my life minotaur and got a life Minotaur. So that's like a.... 11% of my pets are what I wanted. Just one frost hound! Frost Hound!!!

Sloan Windthistle

Survivor
Jul 29, 2011
I Understand What You Mean, And I Really Wish They Would Make It So You Only Get the Other Person's Pet. But Then Pets Rarities Would Fall So Fast, Everyone Would Be Walking Around With Cerberus, and Wanderer, And Helions. I Think The Whole Reason They Made It 50-50 Is Because Not Everything In Life Is Handed To You On A Silver Platter. Your Gonna Need To Cope With Disappointment and Setbacks (i.e. wasting gold).

P.S. They Pets I Stated Are Merely an Example, I Know There Are Much Rarer Pets Out Their

Explorer
May 30, 2011
yeah i got alot of orthrus and humongo frog babies thats why i stopped doing them ive train different pets mostly mixed breeds. and BTW your pets pedigree doesn't affect what pet you get in a hatch thats just the luck of the draw is all. if you train a pet to ancient,epic and mega yeah the pedigree will increase if your willing to train your pet that far.

mixed breed pets are sometimes better then the original pet though i wonder if i can train more then one first gen orthrus and humongo frog ive never treid before. some people arent meant to have a hybrid pet. the only pet ive gotten all the hybrids if using my mythical basilisk it give me the hybrids every time i hatch with it.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
huh, I was told you usually get a version of the pet that had the lowest pedigree between the two. This usually happens for me. I am guessing this is because higher pedigree pets are supposed to be more rare...

Survivor
Mar 30, 2010
i am really mad. i had 50 thousand gold, and i spent it most of it on a pet i already own. i know someone from w101 mainframe will read this so i dont care if you post this on the message board, though i would like a reply from you guys. it made me cry when i spent most of my money for nothing. i dont care about luck, i care that i never have any. and i could have bought a heckhound for 1500 from a vendor in krokotopia!!! the prices need to be more realistic. i spent about 30,000 coins on it. i would at least like half of it back. and also keep in mind that i can quit playing at any moment...

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
leda789 wrote:
i am really mad. i had 50 thousand gold, and i spent it most of it on a pet i already own. i know someone from w101 mainframe will read this so i dont care if you post this on the message board, though i would like a reply from you guys. it made me cry when i spent most of my money for nothing. i dont care about luck, i care that i never have any. and i could have bought a heckhound for 1500 from a vendor in krokotopia!!! the prices need to be more realistic. i spent about 30,000 coins on it. i would at least like half of it back. and also keep in mind that i can quit playing at any moment...

Why are you breading pets with a low level wizard? Most of the gold can be easily made by selling equips found in dragonspire and beyond. Not even boss drops just stuff from normal battles.

You can spend time to get gold, and in the process level up as well. spending crowns to buy gold is an unnecessary shortcut. It sounds like you regretted taking that shortcut. The expense wasn't worth the time saved. Learn from your disappointment and move on.

I have played mmo's that are constantly on the verge of dieing. Wizard101 is far, far, from that state. There are hundreds, if not thousands, who play this game off and on. Your threat to quit does not inspire terror in the devs. It also won't inspire hundreds of players to quit the game with you.

Survivor
Jan 29, 2012
zebulous wrote:
leda789 wrote:
i am really mad. i had 50 thousand gold, and i spent it most of it on a pet i already own. i know someone from w101 mainframe will read this so i dont care if you post this on the message board, though i would like a reply from you guys. it made me cry when i spent most of my money for nothing. i dont care about luck, i care that i never have any. and i could have bought a heckhound for 1500 from a vendor in krokotopia!!! the prices need to be more realistic. i spent about 30,000 coins on it. i would at least like half of it back. and also keep in mind that i can quit p laying at any moment...

Why are you breading pets with a low level wizard? Most of the gold can be easily made by selling equips found in dragonspire and beyond. Not even boss drops just stuff from normal battles.

You can spend time to get gold, and in the process level up as well. spending crowns to buy gold is an unnecessary shortcut. It sounds like you regretted taking that shortcut. The expense wasn't worth the time saved. Learn from your disappointment and move on.

I have played mmo's that are constantly on the verge of dieing. Wizard101 is far, far, from that state. There are hundreds, if not thousands, who play this game off and on. Your threat to quit does not inspire terror in the devs. It also won't inspire hundreds of players to quit the game with you.

with me it only happened once with my snake tried to get a patriotic leprecaun

Survivor
Mar 30, 2010
zebulous wrote:
leda789 wrote:

dont assume stuff, there are a few things that you assumed:
1. i am a level 43, on to dragonsphere. is that high enough?
2. i never took that shortcut, nor have i ever bought gold with crowns
3. i am not trying to inspire others, i am just trying to talk to the management
also, what does mmo and devs mean? and you kind of sound like someone from the management...

Explorer
Jul 22, 2009
Ok here is how to almost guarantee getting the other pet
I use to keep getting spirit of natures until I did a quick google Your pet's pedigree (Number by DNA thing) has to be higher than the other pet make sure there is a 5 number gap any less and you will be taking a gamble.
Hope this helped! :D

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
Turnip78 wrote:
Ok here is how to almost guarantee getting the other pet
I use to keep getting spirit of natures until I did a quick google Your pet's pedigree (Number by DNA thing) has to be higher than the other pet make sure there is a 5 number gap any less and you will be taking a gamble.
Hope this helped! :D

Your pets pedigrees don't have to be higher. I've hatched with the same and higher and gotten a lower pedigree different pet entirely. (Not my best move, but oh well. I:)

It's random and that's that.

Explorer
May 30, 2011
most of the orthrus ive gotten over and over were from trying to get hybrid pets trying to mix with stormzilla,helephants,hydraand satyr though i finally did get a jade hound but i had to wait 4 months to get one when i hatch with a wraith i always get a nightwalker instead of a grimtooth and ive hatched with adult,ancient and eipc ones still no hybrids so i gave up on orthrus hatches.

And i got humungo frogs because other people wanted to hatch non school only pets like storm hounds,mythzilla,goat monks,fire beetles,stom demons.
and everytime i hatch humungo frog with a judge i always get a topaz karken never a astral judge.

the mythical basilisk always gets the hybrids with no trouble at all. But i haven't been able to hatch with any other wizards for going on 4 months now and i have sent a report twice about it and KI still hasn't sent me any reply about how to fix the issue.

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
leda789 wrote:

Hatch at later levels. 50-55k gold is what a hatch costs with 2 good pet peds. (takes a level 70+ character what 30 minutes to get that much gold)I have been hatching a ghost dragon with a red ghost done it over 25 times I never receive the ghost dragon which is good since I want the red ghost :-) 8 out of 10 pets usually fail the 2 that dont 1 is more than likely to have 1 talent you dont want hehe. Pets are the only reason i play now.

Survivor
Sep 15, 2012
i have filled up one of my houses (50 pets) with ghosts
and btw form the pets you listed im guessing you getforest lord cos you use life pets try doing wierd combos like balance and myth or death and storm

Explorer
Oct 03, 2009
I am glad i get the same pet now that my pet is the one i want, I can create the same pet with better stats and the same look. The only time this may become aggravating is when trying to get a hybrid. Don't get discouraged, just look for a pet with similar stats as your pet. This will make your chances a little less slimmer.