Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ice is OP and Storm is UP

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Aug 01, 2009
Ice is frankly overpowered, it's immunity / insane resist / godly health make them seem like gods, PVP and PvE.

Not gonna argue PvP since I don't PvP, but in PvE yeah, makes the game easier for them, but I don't think KI intended for them to be resistant THAT much when fighting in street fights and stuff.

Storm IS underpowered, even with their high attack. Their health is insanely low and seriously can not let us last to get some of our spells out to survive.

A lvl 15 ice can have more health than a lvl 48 storm. That just seems a bit unbalanced, yeah, storm could blast that Ice to bits 2 or 3 bladed and trapped turns later, but that ice would've shielded and such before.

PvE is even worse for storm. When fighting dragonspyre guys with 2,000+ health, and them going first (not to mention 2 of them) storm stands a small chance. I normally have to tempest after a blade and trap to hope to kill the mob (normally 2 pp and 2 normal pips) and I still finish the battle with small health.

Don't say to 'Up your strategy' or 'get better gear'
Storm drastically needs more health, even if the base was raised by 200-500 health. I've seen storm lvl 80s only have 2000 health, an ice has 5000 and ice can last long enough to hit as High or HIGHER than a storm.

Feedback Please :3

Quinn StormTalon; LvL 47 MasterMind Diviner (See what I did there?)

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
I personally think that is wrong. In PvP you are correct in my opinion, but Storm in PvE is a MONSTER. Especially during avalon and mooshu.

Personally, with my ice, during dragonspyre I have had EXTREME difficulty soloing, to the point of only playing on my balance, storm, and fire.

The reason for this is because of Tempest. And their blade comes at an early level, along with some insane damage boost. My storm got through dragonspyre with only one piece of crowns gear, and it was a level 35 one. My ice currently has not one, not two, but THREE pieces of crowns gear. Including Farmed gear and Longblade of the Homonculus (Lets face it, it looks AMAZING!!!!) and is currently level 46. (Is at dragonspyre academy, very start)
My storm wizard got off easy, at the point of my ice, although level 50 at the time I believe. Currently, he was our first wizard to finish Avalon (in less than a week!) While our Ice is stuck desperately trying to quest once per week just to finish the Crystal Grove.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2010
I will try to help because i have played each class extensively.

I will start by saying there is ALWAYS going to be variances due to soloing/duoing or full 4 man group.

I will give my thoughts on each class and their basic purpose as i see it.I will not talk about Minions.

Life:team player,main purpose to heal.Could use better Absorb imo.They are not going to be a soloing machine,fights will take a lot longer trying to solo Life.So it is a trade off time for survival.

Death:basically your solo class.Their benefit is they do not need to go back n forth healing one turn and damage the next,they can do it all at the same time.Death even has a nice little heal that if a shield is put up first can heal more efficient than a healers heal.Death has the benefit of getting "Feint" through it's normal spending,while other classes have to waste 6 training points to go outside their class to get it.

Ice:This is the class you are talking about.IMO it is a class designed to be more a nuisance than anything overpowering.I actually find the Ice class to be quite weak in terms of damage.Their function is to sort of act like a Tank.They do this with Taunts and a weak Aoe.Later they get the stronger Aoe's that can also stun,but remember nobodies stuns work very often on Bosses[something i would like changed].Ice is NOT an efficient killing machine but more so acts like a Tank.

Fire:various Aoes but nothing o/p.Many aoe and DOT options keep shields down on all.IMO perhaps a little on the fragile without the huge damage to back it up.

Storm:THE dps class of the game,however cannot do it alone.It is imo an extremely fair trade off,you just need a healer to cover your back and or an Ice to taunt all or variations of anything to keep the fragile Storm from dying.

Balance:Without getting into all the little things,it's basic benefit is it's resistance or lack of.It is a median class sort of like your jack of all trades ,cover all bases but not overly great at anything.I would relate a Balance class similar to playing a Human in a rpg.

Myth :More so early on is the Minion class.it again is sort of your middle of the road damage class.They can serve certain purposes like filling in that 4th spot with a minion or using Earthquake to remove benefits.I would call the Myth class your equivalence of a SUPPORT class.

I think the OP should be able to see now,that there is no O/P class,they all have variant benefits and roles and lack of.

Defender
Nov 21, 2010
Ice should always start the fight first for difficult fights it maybe good idea to let the ice stand alone in the first turn to take the first damage especially if the mobs do AOE damage. There is the reason why ice is the only school who has many taunt spells while other schools got pacify spells.

I believe that some schools made for solo more than others. You cant compare that one school can hold this fight and my school cannot.

zubov56
Balance are the support school they can shield, blade, weaken, trap, heal or even hold the opponents till the team will be ready to attack.

Myth suppose to be a summoner school. Myth can support their summons very well but how they can support their team?

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
Ice is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to defeat in pvp, Their biggest resist gear I've seen was 54% to all!!!, This is ridiculous. If they're going to have around 5,000 health and 50% resist to everything they need their attack power lowered by A LOT. Not complaining just giving a suggestion...

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
What I have found since I started playing the game is - any school can solo most all the Spiral with the gear that has flooded the game.

I have a wizard in each school and work the gear to their weaknesses to compensate them, getting every drop of power I can out of them. I have an aggressive play style, I go in blade, trap up and kill. I spend training points only on the Sun spells that boost my regular spells and one for the blade from Niles. I craft the Wintertusk gear at level 56, the helmet has a blade - accept the boots. I have a pet with spritely.

My first wizard was a life and altho you are right patience is needed, I learned the game on this wizard so didn't find it a problem. I was able to solo most all the game with out a problem. I did train to Feint due to being a one hit wonder until Forest Lord came out. My need for help back then was with, the then required, Marley Bone Warehouse for the Celestia Key, I did need one other wizard for the Malestaire instance, the Trial of Spheres and Mirror Lake. The only place I ever played life support was in Water Works - since I always soloed my first run was probably not that good in the support but I learned how after a few runs.

Now all schools have it much easier because of the gear available at even the beginning levels. If you want an easy solo wizard - death is the best choice, I have found.

Survivor
Oct 22, 2009
If you're struggling with Ice, you're doing it wrong. Ice is the best in PvP, PvE and the resist they get is crazy. Its unfair, I use Myth, and I believe storm and myth are in drastic need of changes.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2010
I just made a ice wizard level 12 atm and i admit that ice is over powered in pvp. But think of it this way. Ice gets ice blade at a high level i dont even have it yet. Storm blade is low level to get and also storm shark can hit over 400 and evil snowman can hit 300 max. And if you blade on storm shark you can hit 500 at least man. Dont be so selfish. People trained ice for resist and they wont take your selfish reason so we can be lowered okay?

Explorer
Aug 01, 2009
Darthjp wrote:
If you're struggling with Ice, you're doing it wrong. Ice is the best in PvP, PvE and the resist they get is crazy. Its unfair, I use Myth, and I believe storm and myth are in drastic need of changes.

I don't even have an ice currently, my best friend does though, I don't have the patience for battles as an ice wizard. XD

Thank you for your agreement as well!

ALSO:
With storm, unless changes are made, may I have some suggestions on good gear to purchase for my storm so he can survive DS?

He's Lvl 47 now, almost lvl 48. :3

Explorer
Dec 14, 2008
There are posts like this all the time. KI will not change the schools from what they are. Some schools just don't work for some people. Don't play them if you can't come up with a good strategy for them.

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
lionheart999 wrote:
Ice is frankly overpowered, it's immunity / insane resist / godly health make them seem like gods, PVP and PvE.

Not gonna argue PvP since I don't PvP, but in PvE yeah, makes the game easier for them, but I don't think KI intended for them to be resistant THAT much when fighting in street fights and stuff.

Storm IS underpowered, even with their high attack. Their health is insanely low and seriously can not let us last to get some of our spells out to survive.

A lvl 15 ice can have more health than a lvl 48 storm. That just seems a bit unbalanced, yeah, storm could blast that Ice to bits 2 or 3 bladed and trapped turns later, but that ice would've shielded and such before.

PvE is even worse for storm. When fighting dragonspyre guys with 2,000+ health, and them going first (not to mention 2 of them) storm stands a small chance. I normally have to tempest after a blade and trap to hope to kill the mob (normally 2 pp and 2 normal pips) and I still finish the battle with small health.

Don't say to 'Up your strategy' or 'get better gear'
Storm drastically needs more health, even if the base was raised by 200-500 health. I've seen storm lvl 80s only have 2000 health, an ice has 5000 and ice can last long enough to hit as High or HIGHER than a storm.

Feedback Please :3

Quinn StormTalon; LvL 47 MasterMind Diviner (See what I did there?)

each one are suppose to be oppisits

ice is tanking trying to be hard to kill using high resist and lots of shields
allowing a slow painful death
storm is fast dangerous and overall powerful
low health and resist is made up with power to deal lethal damage faster then you can say bolt

i play both schools ( legend ice , magus storm)
and the storm by far is more fun to play and is doing stuff so much faster then my ice wizard did things
took my storm a week to do kt
took my ice months to finish kt
also my storm was soloing kt with ease ( a lil help here and there but 90% soloed or so)
she is currently working in gh ( 30 cap mark)

the personality of both
ice
the strong deffensive one, not willing to rush things and carefully plan every move and hold off strikes while studying the opponent's attack pattern

storm
the strong upbeat one, rushs things and kills fast but if she gets too careless she might fizzle and that leaves her to a non shielded blow
but quickly tries again and ends up blasting the enemy to pieces

with this comparasion of my 2 wizards and there school style
we can all say ice can be a boring but strategic type while acting as a wall that learns the enemies attacks then strikes
while my storm is the kind of wizard that thinks twice about studying a enemy attack pattern and just blasts them before they can shield leaving them deffenceless

ratings
ice 5/10 ( sry its my own school but i must agree its not op but its not weak either its neutral and boring)
storm 9/10 ( we can all agree storm has lots of fun attacks and there effect to deal 1000 for 2 pips in some cases is insane and cant be ignored)
hince the name insane bolt storm wins the school off comparasion

Delver
Jul 21, 2009
Easy fix . don't pvp :p Ice has always had high resist they get it higher with pet talents. But there spells are not any stronger then they always been. Ice is more less a tank build and anyone that's ever played other MMO's names I wont post here know that in pvp it is VERY hard to beat a tank that's just how it goes. We can't have our cake and eat it too. Sorry. Find other ways to get around the ice. Dis spells work good weakness works you can even stack plague with weakness there is many ways around it. Ice shields work great too :p lol anyway good luck :)

Explorer
Aug 01, 2009
redmist01 wrote:
Easy fix . don't pvp :p Ice has always had high resist they get it higher with pet talents. But there spells are not any stronger then they always been. Ice is more less a tank build and anyone that's ever played other MMO's names I wont post here know that in pvp it is VERY hard to beat a tank that's just how it goes. We can't have our cake and eat it too. Sorry. Find other ways to get around the ice. Dis spells work good weakness works you can even stack plague with weakness there is many ways around it. Ice shields work great too :p lol anyway good luck :)

Where in here did I state I PvP?

This post on the storm is UP part is simply based of my PvE Experience.

Delver
Jul 09, 2009
Darthjp wrote:

Ice isn't the best. I've seen many people defeat ice wizards and so have I. Ice is still considered 4-5 in PvP by most players I have asked. Myth actually don't have problems with ice. It's only fire and storm because the 100% resist on those schools. Fire and myth are the top two schools in PvP, but I understand if you have a hard time with ice's resist. Since Ki won't do anything till a long time I made a strategy for the resist. Armor piercing and dispels ruins many ice wizards it's not even funny. Don't allow them to heal either by using life dispels. Converts also go a long way.

Aaron Drakewalker Archmage Pyromancer

Delver
Jul 21, 2009
lol . whatever dude if you want a topic about storms only then maybe you should have not called it * ICE is OP and storms is UP* plus whos to say i was only talking to you did i quote you ? anyway not worth my time. i said what i wanted to say good luck . lol

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
From the PvE perspective (I don't know why people always jump to PvP discussions -- there are other things than just killing other people, as can be so eloquently put) I will say Storm is OVERpowered.

Storm is insane. I can get 100% accuracy. Not a single fizzle. And that comes along with a 97% power boost. And it goes beyond 100% once you find certain Avalon equipment. So 80 Storm wizards can have a natural 101% power boost. That is right, DOUBLE base damage of spells, naturally, without any form of boost whatsoever. I believe there is a body piece out there that provides a 1% higher boost than the Waterworks robe, at the cost of defense, of course. So, that is upwards to a natural passive 102% damage boost. Insane!

(Waterworks, both damage talents from pet, and the more powerful Avalon dagger and ring.)

That is absolutely insane. A 4-pip Kraken with Colossal attached to it will do 1500-1600 damage or so right off the bat. Without a single boost. A Colossal Tempest for a single power pip (2 pips) will do 900+ damage to mobs. And that of course increases as more and more pips are charged. That is just crazy. A successful Wild Bolt will hit for 2001 damage. For 2 pips. That is crazy. A 2 pip Colossal Lightning Bat will do 1,100 or so damage. Again, crazy.

I suppose this is offset by incredibly brutal Avalon fights. In that case, it may be a much better idea to sacrifice power for defense. Which is exactly what I did with my Myth wizard. (He had a 78% power boost, or something like that, but was getting SLAUGHTERED by Avalon mobs.)

Survivor
Apr 13, 2010
I personally think KI made the schools perfectly balanced which is exactly why i cannot find a perfect one for my main! I did have a lvl 40 life and it somehow got deleted. (maybe i did i just dont remember?) but i am ripped between Storm and Ice ATM... i also like death and i have no idea what my opinion is on balance. Myth.... idk... and Fire is good i just cant really get into my fire character... so yea... thats my thought on the schools... also a suggestion to KI - I personally love the test realm and i think other people do too... If you leave it open, you could advertise that you have 2 versions of the game but you still have to be a sub or buy so many crowns to get it... just a suggestion...