Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What do you think would make WC chat safer?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 08, 2009
Lately I have noticed a lot of foul language, and the dye shop is becoming popular once again. I just wanted to know if anyone had any new ideas of how to keep chatting safer and stricter.

So far some of the ones I've heard are=

darthjt- 5$ processing fee for mutings.

Now I dont exactly agree with this one, dont know why. I think that to have chat, you would need to have a credit card on file. And along with a wizard being banned, the credit card would be banned. So to get chat, you would have to enter your credit card. This way, unless you have several credit cards, you cant continue making wizards with open chat. However, the language is only getting worse and worse, and this may soon be the best way to solve this problem, so I guess I still do agree. (I think I met you a few days ago darthjt, and I must say, I was rather excited :P. I appreciate all the work you and other WCP's do.)

Some other idea's I've heard from several people are=
- Paying for chat
- Chat lvl restrictions
- Chat only for members

So does any one have any other ideas? Or if you agree with any of these, why?

Mastermind
Oct 15, 2010
I think the fee for un-muting is good. Also, level restrictions and only for members are good ideas. I'm all thumbs! :P

Explorer
Jul 31, 2011
Another awesome idea:

Banning the credit card that is used on a banned or repeat offender's account. This would be KI wide, not just for THAT wizard's account but anywhere in the companies websites. (including P101)

I really really like this idea! I feel this is another great way to deter this terribly profanity activity.

Defender
Aug 07, 2011
I think they need to come down harder.

I think punishments need to be way stricter. First time with vulgar language, permanent mute. If that's too extreme (I beg to differ; they agreed to not use that language but if it's deemed too extreme), first time, one month mute; second time, the mute is permanent and forever.

Vulgar visual acts -- no 2nd chance. Permanent ban from the game. Period. End of story. Let's not cover-up sexual abuse or tolerate it. I know this isn't chat but KI needs to stop ignoring visual problems and needs to address it. Put mods in game to catch it. Have a way to report them. Something you can click on like you do the report now and attach a screen shot. Maybe the log should include emotes used so that a report will show dance/clap. I'm not tech savvy enough to know exactly what but KI certainly should be.

I also think they shouldn't tell someone has reported but reword it to something like an in-game moderator has witnessed your language and you are hereby muted until the logs can be reviewed and proper action taken. (Proper action being up to and including being banned from the game.)

And, finally, the field to describe what you're reporting needs to be longer. I made a report today that didn't give me enough room to let them know what two words I was reporting to describe male body part or even that it was suggested that someone do something inappropriate with that part. They need to be longer so we can say the whole thing. Hopefully, they'll see on the logs but it would help them find it if I could say they referred to it as xxx x and suggested another wizard do xxxx with it.

Yes, I saw that today. At noon. In the commons. The Spiral is growing quite vulgar indeed.

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
Like I said in these others posts, there is no perfect answer. Either way you will have people that will abuse the system. Your best option is to not play the game if it bothers you that much, or use menu chat.

People will always find loop holes and each time something is done to try and combat these people the masses who enjoy the game will suffer with them.

The 5 dollar processing fee I am against. I don't feel it is the right solution, plus I don't want a possible mix up happening with my account and getting charged extra. When there are millions of paying players on a game mix ups can happen.

The only thing I can think of is keep your child with menu chat then you are safe. That or feel free to use the ignore button, it is there for a reason.

Defender
Aug 07, 2011
Snowyandspots wrote:
Like I said in these others posts, there is no perfect answer. Either way you will have people that will abuse the system. Your best option is to not play the game if it bothers you that much, or use menu chat.

People will always find loop holes and each time something is done to try and combat these people the masses who enjoy the game will suffer with them.

The 5 dollar processing fee I am against. I don't feel it is the right solution, plus I don't want a possible mix up happening with my account and getting charged extra. When there are millions of paying players on a game mix ups can happen.

The only thing I can think of is keep your child with menu chat then you are safe. That or feel free to use the ignore button, it is there for a reason.

That's like saying I shouldn't go out on the street because the cops can't possibly catch every mugger. If crime's up, cities tend to hire more cops, not expect the citzenry to hide in their houses. Well, crime's up in the Spiral. KI needs to hire people to police it.

Defender
Mar 10, 2012
Or why not shut down all chat players for good? Seriously guys there is nothing we can do to make this a safer place. There are new generations to come with worse and worse attitudes and remarks.

Explorer
Jul 31, 2011
I think the number one first thing that must be done is KI needs to update and further enhance their chat filters. They are sadly outdated now with new creative ways of chat.

That would be an excellent first step while they work on finding a solution for repeat offenders who create account after account once they are muted.

I am 110% on board with the $5 fee, I also agree with the level minimum and f2p chat limits.
There have been a few other excellent ideas described on this forum and I seriously hope KI reads them and considers each one, weighing pros and cons properly. In time changes will come into play and the spiral will be a safer place.

I have witnessed here in the last 24 hrs in the commons a terribly alarming role play scenario that I can not even describe here. It was an adult situation with extreme vulgar descriptions and profanity coupled with movements and "who" the role play characters were playing is downright immoral and illegal. Also the felony acts are increasing within that same theme.

Something must be done, there are some minor TOU infractions but also some very serious things happening that must be stopped.

Defender
May 21, 2011
i think there should be more ingame moderators as in actual players. i also think that they should track the email, as in what computer that email was made from and ban that computer
they should tell anyone though cause they will find a way around it.

but that would work for now.

Delver
Aug 14, 2009
If people would keep reporting them instead of going on forums complaining and getting more words taken away from both the innocent and guilty text chatters.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
GrammyH wrote:
Snowyandspots wrote:

That's like saying I shouldn't go out on the street because the cops can't possibly catch every mugger. If crime's up, cities tend to hire more cops, not expect the citzenry to hide in their houses. Well, crime's up in the Spiral. KI needs to hire people to police it.

Very Well Said GrammyH,

Why do people insist that the ones that behave properly and follow the rules change and punish themselves and allow the ones that are breaking rules and behaving badly, simply allow them to continue their ways?

That would be ignorance at the highest degree. No, you don't punish the good and reward the bad, you make punishment more severe for those that break the rules.

A $5 fee to restore chat would be great and only 2 chances 1st time is 1 week and 2nd chance is 10 year. With penalties this strict, it would get most in line.

Also, any account or family account would have to pay the $5 to restore chat. let me explain:

Account 1 breaks the rules & gets muted.
Account 2 & any other accounts or new accounts are muted until fee is paid.
Account 1 will remain muted until the punishment time ends.

This way, a person can not simply make a second account and start cursing on the same credit card or family account!

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
conno365 wrote:
Or why not shut down all chat players for good? Seriously guys there is nothing we can do to make this a safer place. There are new generations to come with worse and worse attitudes and remarks.

Shutting down those who break the rules will be sufficient. Every. Single. Time. Eventually, those undesirables will go away, and our game will become more famous as a safe and family-friendly place.

Qbb

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
I can see your point in banning a CC if an account has been muted or banned. But I do have one problem with that. If this is on a family of accounts, WHY punish the whole family for the transgression of 1.

The suggestions that have already been made are well thought out and would help greatly in reducing these transgressions. Paying members that do follow the rules should not have to be subjected to these players in the game. Open chat and filtered is a priviledge we have earned and therefore, should not require further payment in order to keep it nor should we have to voluntarily disable them to accommodate them.

@Conno365 your take on this is turning a BLIND EYE so to speak to the problem. Why do you think KI gave us the tools to report with? This was there way to let the community help in keeping the game clean.

If the new generations are worse than what we are seeing now, then I blame that on their parents for not teaching them better manners. Sorry, but your answer is not acceptable. We will continue to clean up the game so our young wizards can come back and have some fun too.

The $5 fee to get an account unmuted is more than reasonable and actually, I think it should be increased each time a particular account repeats these offenses.

The restrictions and requirements on F2P accounts are more than acceptable. No player that breaks the ToU/Chat rules should be able to turn around and make a new F2P just for the purpose of having open chat and consistantly repeating the same offenses that got them muted or banned in the first place. If they really want to play the game fine, BUT DON'T BREAK THE RULES.

Both of the above suggestions above are VERY reasonable and workable.

You don't break the rules in REAL LIFE without suffering the consequences so you should not be able to here either.

Fallon WinterLeaf a "Wizard City Protector"

Survivor
Feb 08, 2009
I think I didnt understand the whole $5 fee thing completely, and after reading some of these comments, it sounds like a much better idea. Increasing the amount of money each time even sounds better! However I dont think they should have to pay until the second offense, I'm always worried about those who got a false strike. Even the KI moniters can mistake something for something its not. I also didnt think about banning the cc for family accounts, good point.

I also agree with updated filters, because it is extremely easy to say anything around the filters, even with filtered chat.

Good ideas everyone!

Survivor
Jan 11, 2010
I don't think the $5 fee would be appropriate for players who are already paying, but I think it would be necessary for non-paying players. My two cents, peace. :-)

Zachary Shadowflame, Storm Level 7 8)

Survivor
Jul 27, 2010
azont wrote:
Lately I have noticed a lot of foul language, and the dye shop is becoming popular once again. I just wanted to know if anyone had any new ideas of how to keep chatting safer and stricter.

So far some of the ones I've heard are=

darthjt- 5$ processing fee for mutings.

Now I dont exactly agree with this one, dont know why. I think that to have chat, you would need to have a credit card on file. And along with a wizard being banned, the credit card would be banned. So to get chat, you would have to enter your credit card. This way, unless you have several credit cards, you cant continue making wizards with open chat. However, the language is only getting worse and worse, and this may soon be the best way to solve this problem, so I guess I still do agree. (I think I met you a few days ago darthjt, and I must say, I was rather excited :P. I appreciate all the work you and other WCP's do.)

Some other idea's I've heard from several people are=
- Paying for chat
- Chat lvl restrictions
- Chat only for members

So does any one have any other ideas? Or if you agree with any of these, why?

Well, maybe this system.

If you say something not that bad, like stupid or dumb, you should get a note from Kingsisile.

If you say something bad, like a curse word about some one, but just one, maybe a 1 or 2 day restricion of text chat or open chat and a note from Kingsisle.

If you curse allot, every day and about people, you should get banned for 2 months. And a message from kingsisle.

But if its just plain bad, then yeah, no more text or open for you.

And bad people will be like this:
Then before you know it, the good will be smiling and the bad will be crying.