Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Quest helper lag

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
I use the quest helper and the game lags ridiculously.

I turn quest helper off and it stops.

Wondering if anyone is having this problem too? Is there something I can do to prevent or stop this?

Thank you in advance for any help with this.

Mastermind
Sep 20, 2008
ninnian wrote:
I use the quest helper and the game lags ridiculously.

I turn quest helper off and it stops.

Wondering if anyone is having this problem too? Is there something I can do to prevent or stop this?

Thank you in advance for any help with this.

:?

Try a lower image-quality if possible; but personally, I never use it, since its rarely pointing the correct way, at least for me...

Scarlet SkullHammer (Death 38, Black Cat Pet, "Shadow")

Mastermind
Oct 17, 2008
Yes, yes, and YES!

I figured this out only yesterday. But I agree, the quest helper gives HORRIBLE lag.

I can give a wonderful example, too. I had been using my quest helper in Ancient Burial Grounds. I decided to take it off, because I was going to take some screenshots. Then, when I tried putting it back on, suddenly my entire screen was going soooo slow! I couldn't even type to tell my friends what was going on. I eventually got so annoyed that I quit the game and went on my level 13 Death character, and she worked perfectly fine, even with the quest helper. I then tried my myth, and she also worked. I explained to my friends that "Sierra is broken." So I had to help my sister as an initiate... how embarrasing.

A few days later, I logged back onto Sierra. She still wasn't working. Again I was angry, but for some reason I choose to try and turn off the quest helper. It ran perfect after that. Strangely enough, after a few minutes of playing without it, the quest helper came back on by itself and worked.

So it must be triggered by turning off and back on the quest helper.

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
It seems like the quest helper uses some pathfinding algorithm to find the distance; it certainly doesn't use a simple straight line distance. It also recalculates constantly. Still, there are pathfinding algorithms that are polynomial time, and modern computers are powerful enough that this shouldn't bog down a computer much unless it is recalculating the distance way too often. Is the slow-down related to how far you are from the relevant quest?

Delver
Sep 25, 2008
I also noticed that my quest helper sometimes turns on by itself. Quest helper is a useful tool, but not when it comes up when you did not even turn it on.

Does anyone else have this problem? I notice it happens sometimes when I type, is there a shortcut key that turns quest helper on automatically?

Administrator
Mastermind
Sep 20, 2008
Gamma wrote:
T will toggle the Quest Helper Arrow on and off.

BTW, Gamma, both in the Test and Live Servers, the "K" key which is suppose to switch Decks is not working at all. You might want to have someone look into that.....

Scarlet SkullHammer (Death 38, Black Cat Pet, "Shadow")

Administrator
Mastermind
Sep 20, 2008
Gamma wrote:
It's Control and K.

;)

Need to edit the Newsletter then; It clearly states "K", not "Ctrl + K". I also found nothing about it in the Help portion of my in-game information...

Yell at the proof-reader, I guess....

Scarlet SkullHammer (Death 39, Black Cat Pet, "Shadow")

;)