Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Too Much "101"'s. Too Much cash.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 01, 2011
Hi! It's imahuman1 here. I think that KI is just getting too expansive and expensive.

~First of all, the new game Pirate 101 looks ok, but I would rather have the game we are all playing bigger and better. Like my friend ***** (not going to say names for safety issues) always says, "Quality before quantity". I feel like it would be too much pressure on KI to do this all, but its not my choice.

~Second of all, I think that KI should make Crowns less expensive. Just Crowns though, the membership is definately worth it. They say "you can buy Crowns for as little as a dollar, but in truth, it is only for as little as five. I am currently trying to get a house from the Crowns Shop, using gold, and using Crowns to buy gold for help. The Crowns are just too much money! I mean, the 5-10 dollar ones are great, but the 15+ dollar ones I believe should have a better value.

Just getting this off my mind, so comment if you feel the same way, or if you don't.

Cheyenne GriffinCaller Level 46, Myth~

Delver
Feb 16, 2010
Patience is a virtue young wizard. I've never, ever bought a house with crowns (real money) other than the gift card bundles. If you are using crowns to buy gold you are wasting your money. You would be better off just buying the house with the crowns if you were going to do that. If this is your only wizard, you are high enough level now to do some good farming for gold. The Ravens in GH was great for that at your level. Grab some friends and farm away. In fairly short order you will have all the gold you need for your house by selling all the drops.

Good luck with your house hunting.

Defender
Jul 28, 2009
For me I never get crowns, well because my parents said I need to pay for the game if i want it. Well the only time they will buy me any Wizard101 stuff is for Christmas. But I have bought a Myth House from the Crowns shop but I have bought that house with gold. I honestly think crowns are a shortcut to get want ya want so I'm just saying you don't have to buy crowns you could just earn it by farming like I do sometimes but yea. Okay so here's a little hint I guess, I got my Myth House by selling my bank... So sell your bank!

Destiny DeathBlade
Lvl 58 Myth

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Once you make questing more important then the things you can have you will have all the gold you need.

My wizards use crowns for stitching of the final outfits only - all the rest - mounts, houses, special things to adorn the houses, all is purchased with gold.

Survivor
Jun 19, 2009
I have loved W101 since it came out. Cash is a nessary when it comes to any game that is F2P (Free to Play). The game has a limited F2P but that is the point. Like any game, it comes at some sort of price. This is also why I LOVE that they put in the ability to let me buy one pack of crowns on sale.,(We have a rule in the house. We can only buy the 60K crowns when it is on sale for $60) and be able to split it between our family accounts. This saves us money and anoyances.

I see the crowns to enhance the game play at times, depending on what you buy. My family buys the outfits but only baseline. This means any wizard can use it. As we go though the game, we switch out pieces for better and store the rest for the next wizzy to go though. Talk about hand me down robes (yes a pun for Harry Potter).

The thing I love is that it does not make the wizards so powerhouse, like certain games. But that is me.

Not saying your wrong. Just my thoughts.

Survivor
Mar 14, 2009
brwac wrote:
Once you make questing more important then the things you can have you will have all the gold you need.

This sounds like something to go by 'outside' the game as well actually. :)

Defender
Jul 23, 2011
Alot of things in the crown shop, even houses, can be bought with the gold option. Check it out for yourself. I farmed, sold, and then farmed and sold some more. I was able to purchase the Island Getaway (excellent for gardening) with the gold I earned. Wizard101 is not expensive unless you get caught up in the extras you don't need. Everything you need to thrive in this game can be acquired through drops, or bought with gold.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
First of all, a lot of companies run multiple MMOs, but they continue to update all their games. Rest assured, Pirate101 won't stop Wizard101 from growing :D

Second, it's easier to farm for items to sell to the Bazaar for gold then to buy gold. Halfang is known for dropping high sell price items. He can be found in Vestrilund, but you have to have completed the quest to beat him to access him.

Survivor
Nov 25, 2010
imahuman1 wrote:
Hi! It's imahuman1 here. I think that KI is just getting too expansive and expensive.

~First of all, the new game Pirate 101 looks ok, but I would rather have the game we are all playing bigger and better. Like my friend ***** (not going to say names for safety issues) always says, "Quality before quantity". I feel like it would be too much pressure on KI to do this all, but its not my choice.

~Second of all, I think that KI should make Crowns less expensive. Just Crowns though, the membership is definately worth it. They say "you can buy Crowns for as little as a dollar, but in truth, it is only for as little as five. I am currently trying to get a house from the Crowns Shop, using gold, and using Crowns to buy gold for help. The Crowns are just too much money! I mean, the 5-10 dollar ones are great, but the 15+ dollar ones I believe should have a better value.

Just getting this off my mind, so comment if you feel the same way, or if you don't.

Yes with this new "Pirate 101" coming out I am getting worried... I'm not a fan of pirates and I dont exactly like the way you fight in it or the style of it.. I'm afraid they will spend more time on Pirate 101 than they will with Wizard101. And crowns are so expensive! I am working on training my pet and buy the mega snack packs. I go to buy 20$ worth of crowns and i get 2 snack packs and thats it. My mother says "I hope your getting your moneys worth!" And really, i'm not. 20$ For 2 things. Back to pirates 101.... I dont think they should be making it. People play wizard101 because they wanna be magic like in movies and fight epic battles. You can go outside and dress up as a wizard but you cant shoot fire balls... You can in Wizard101. You can dress up as a pirate make a ship and pretend to find gold in real life. You can do that in pirate101. If they do go through with this i hope they lower the price of crowns on this game since they will have money coming in from 2 different games. The bundles could be a little cheaper people have told me but I think the bundles are fine.

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
isaiahcrabbe159357 wrote:
imahuman1 wrote:

Yes with this new "Pirate 101" coming out I am getting worried... I'm not a fan of pirates and I dont exactly like the way you fight in it or the style of it.. I'm afraid they will spend more time on Pirate 101 than they will with Wizard101. And crowns are so expensive! I am working on training my pet and buy the mega snack packs. I go to buy 20$ worth of crowns and i get 2 snack packs and thats it. My mother says "I hope your getting your moneys worth!" And really, i'm not. 20$ For 2 things. Back to pirates 101.... I dont think they should be making it. People play wizard101 because they wanna be magic like in movies and fight epic battles. You can go outside and dress up as a wizard but you cant shoot fire balls... You can in Wizard101. You can dress up as a pirate make a ship and pretend to find gold in real life. You can do that in pirate101. If they do go through with this i hope they lower the price of crowns on this game since they will have money coming in from 2 different games. The bundles could be a little cheaper people have told me but I think the bundles are fine.

one 2 mega snack packs are 10$ (10$ gets 5000 that is exactly the price of 2 mega snack packs)

and think of it like this
yeah ya cant be a wizard irl for real ( technickly)
but pirates are more then just fighting for gold and treasure

also i hear pirates are more populor then wizards

also pirate101 isnt gonna stop wizard101
think of pirate101 as a little side journey that will help pay for new wizard101 content
ki even said once that pirate101 isnt gonna stop there main item aka wizard101

the cash is a big pricey in crown area
but remember
you dont need the items to play
just membership for the adventure ( besides crown items sometimes drops and some can be bought for gold)

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I hope that Wizard101 won't get to be neglected because attention will shift to the newly Pirate101. I hope that Wizard101 will continue to be tweaked/improved/expanded, along with new game.

And it is true, this game could be so much more perfected... but after 4 years, I think it is safe to say that changes we would want will not be happening.

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
Wizard101 is always working on Wizard101 stuff, Look at the new updates for test realm: We had no idea about this update, And think about how much work it must have taken to do all that!

Survivor
Mar 22, 2011
isaiahcrabbe159357 wrote:
You don't need to buy mega snacks. Bosses and some Avalon creatures now drop plants that give mega snacks (Couch Potatoes, Deadly Helephant Ears, etc.) Save you dollars for the subscription and start farming for plants!

Survivor
Nov 30, 2010
Virtually you can get ALMOST EVERYTHING in the crown shop for gold or from a drop and if you would like to know exactly what you want from the crown from what boss check w101 central they have EVERYTHING you need to know

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
I'm a financially ok adult. I can spend money just fine. Call me frugal but....

1. Membership under $10/month is an entertainment bargain (compare hourly cost of other forms of entertainment: theatre, books, CD's, DVD's etc.)

2. Crown purchases are completely unnessary for a fantastic gaming experience. The only crown items I have purchased is a mount and a fancy sword/wand that I don't use anymore. The mount is a definte must-have, but you can get mounts with gold. (personally I believe buying your way through the game is a soft form of cheating, but thats just me). So my mount was a one-time cost of a couple bucks.

3. I bought two houses with gold.

4. My best pet was the free hound from a KI promotional thing a couple months ago. I got really lucky with the talents. I got lots of other pets from drops, but my hound is awsome. (thanks KI - it really was a nice present!).

5. I'm level 50 something now (PvE) and I find the bazaar has fantastic equipment. Its generally not flashy, but very good in stats. I like to dazzle with my awsome game play, not my outfit!

Final Statement: Wizard101 is ridiculous entertainment value for your money. Assuming you like magic and dragons.

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
Spooks 99 on Oct 20, 2012 wrote:
Virtually you can get ALMOST EVERYTHING in the crown shop for gold or from a drop and if you would like to know exactly what you want from the crown from what boss check w101 central they have EVERYTHING you need to know
Lets see....
Card packs....*clicks gold thing* "cannot buy with gold"

Seraph wings (forever) "crowns only"
....and so on (too lazy to go on)
I really dont like Pirate101 or anything and i want a good release instead of another card pack...=/

Defender
Aug 01, 2011
TheDragonTamer237 on Jul 26, 2012 wrote:

Well dude I do agree but KI is a big company so they really need the extra money or the prices would go down. Plus this is a rpg based game they usually have stuff you can buy for a higher price rather then online kid worlds in online kid worlds membership is very cheap. However wizard101 is very fun so you should think about buying crowns wisely! Good luck in the spiral young wizard.

Survivor
Feb 01, 2011
Ok, so I tried Pirate101 and it isn't that bad. I do like it, though ,just not as much as W101.
Thanks for responding and giving your opinions!

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
I do agree it would be nice if the crowns purchases were a bit cheaper. Unfortunately they are a business and want to make money. I wish they would cut us better breaks on crowns. Someone on another thread brought up a good idea of crowns discounts for memebrs and that would even be nice.

Explorer
Mar 18, 2010
I see your point. Yes, crowns are overpriced, but I have reached max gold so I can buy anything I want. You don't need to buy gold with crowns if you sell what monsters drop. I am higher than your level, but I reached max gold from selling drops at level 47 or so. I have crowns for other uses. But I have one thing to say: Never tell anyone you have crowns.

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
A couple of suggestions that will help out.
Use your crows for Evil Magma Peas. Much better investment than Mega Snack packs. Avalon bosses drop them as well, but not often.
Save $ and buy crowns on special and you can get 1000 per $.
Farm Halfang. I have my kids farm Halfang with me (they port) and you can have the gold for a house in an hour or less. See about finding a higher level friend who can port you into WT to farm. The rewards are the best I have seen (avg of over 2k gold per fight). Also drops an amulet that sells for 8200 gold.
I bit the bullet and bought Evil Magma peas instead of snack packs. A high initial investment, but I have trained hundreds of pets since.
pods

Squire
Jul 28, 2011
Pirate101 looks OK, but I'm getting worried. What if people quit wizards for pirates and I know from these message boards that some people already have. I hope the original Wizard101 designers and workers will stay on Wizard101 and kingsisle is hiring new people for Pirate101.