Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Mega Mega Mega Pets!

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Getting a 5th talent is great! 2000 exp is a little tough with the snacks we have though. I like the idea of tickets for snacks, but they need to be 7 or 8 rank at that price.

The new games are fun. How about putting some energy elixers or exp "potions" in as drops? That would rock.

Survivor
Jul 01, 2009
How about being able to feed pet snacks to your pet when they pop up on the side of your screen? Or you could feed them to your pet in the backpack just like you can with equipment.

Explorer
May 30, 2010
As long as we're wishing, how about being able to train your pets in your own castle so you aren't distracted by chattering players wanting to hatch while you're trying to level?

Or pet pavilions in other parts of the Spiral, so you can go to one less crowded during vacations when so many folks have time to be online. It wouldn't need the hatchery or derby, just the training games.

Why not let me double-feed my ancient and epic pets if they get a 4 during a regular training session? Or perhaps double-feed if the pets manage to grab 100 snacks in the maze, or x snacks in the gobbler game or 3 bull's-eyes in the cannon game. Not certain how you'd handle the dance game that way -- maybe if it manages to get a perfect score in under 5 seconds per routine?

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
well i am glad we could buy lots of pet snacks in the test realm and level up pets to test it out. I for one will NOT be doing this most likely in the real realms... i leveled up 3 pets to mega and got nothing good... one got a 'may cast ice blade' spell and the other two got mana increases... very lame.

KI we NEED a way to either choose one or two of the stats we want or a way to see what talants the pets will get. The pet system is awesome and I love it, BUT, I really think you would sell lots more crowns in the long run if you had a potion <sold for crowns> that would see the talants. I would be so willing to buy a full load of mega snacks IF I knew an awesome stat was coming.

ellie

Survivor
Dec 20, 2010
Weretacha wrote:
As long as we're wishing, how about being able to train your pets in your own castle so you aren't distracted by chattering players wanting to hatch while you're trying to level?

Or pet pavilions in other parts of the Spiral, so you can go to one less crowded during vacations when so many folks have time to be online. It wouldn't need the hatchery or derby, just the training games.

Why not let me double-feed my ancient and epic pets if they get a 4 during a regular training session? Or perhaps double-feed if the pets manage to grab 100 snacks in the maze, or x snacks in the gobbler game or 3 bull's-eyes in the cannon game. Not certain how you'd handle the dance game that way -- maybe if it manages to get a perfect score in under 5 seconds per routine?

These are two of the best pet related ideas ever. I would love a way to train my pet at home and have thought many times that we should get a bonus for over 100 snacks on the maze game. Double feeding for perfect runs is an excellent idea and would soften the blow some people are experiencing with the new 2,000 point mega training.

Defender
Jan 28, 2010
Wintercull wrote:
Weretacha wrote:

These are two of the best pet related ideas ever. I would love a way to train my pet at home and have thought many times that we should get a bonus for over 100 snacks on the maze game. Double feeding for perfect runs is an excellent idea and would soften the blow some people are experiencing with the new 2,000 point mega training.

True I agree the question is weather they will listen to us or not.

Survivor
May 17, 2009
I just finished training my 5th pet from Epic to Mega, and I have to say I am not really thrilled with the proposed changes to the pet training system.

It takes WAY TOO long to train a pet that much for such little gain. The main reason I was able to train 5 pets was because of all the mega snacks I had on my account from the live realm. If I hadn't had those snacks, I don't think I would have kept trying to train after using up the few crowns you gave us for testing things. One of the major issues I have is the sheer amount of XP needed to gain that next slot. 2000 XP is a lot to ask, especially when the pet games (yes, even the new ones) are so redundantly boring and time consuming. The Ninja game alone is way too difficult for such a small gain, if any (I have yet to complete it on level 1 with a perfect score). The other major drawback I have noticed is the increase in the cost to play each game. Not only do we have to play more games to get more XP to reach a new level, but we also have to play those games over a longer period of time because each round costs us more energy at each new level. The higher increase in energy means more energy refills whether it's over time or with crowns.

Examples
By using a wizard with a total of 80 energy, getting a perfect score on a game (4 XP), and not using any snacks:

Teen - (125 XP/4 XP gain per game) x 2 energy per game = 62.5 energy needed
Adult - (250 XP/4 XP gain per game) x 4 energy per game = 250 energy needed
Ancient - (500 XP/4 XP gain per game) x 6 energy per game = 750 energy needed
Epic - (1000 XP/4 XP gain per game) x 8 energy per game = 2000 energy needed
Mega - (2000 XP/4 XP gain per game) x 10 energy per game = 5000 energy needed

At 80 total energy, that comes out to:
Teen - 0.78125 refills and an XP to energy ratio of 0.5
Adult - 3.125 refills and an XP to energy ratio of 1
Ancient - 9.375 refills and an XP to energy ratio of 1.5
Epic - 25 refills and an XP to energy ratio of 2
Mega - 62.5 refills and an XP to energy ratio of 2.5

If I trained 2x/day without using snacks, it would take me almost a month to train 1 pet from Epic to Mega. That's also after using 3000 more energy than the XP I'm gaining, and all for what? One talent that could horribly back-fire by being one of those lame selfish talents or a card-giving talent (my personal pet peeves when it comes to talents). This is way too much to ask. Please, consider changing your pet training system.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2010
It surprises me how many people are annoyed with the new pet talent. Pet training isn't a mandatory, it's not something you have to do in order to progress in the game; it's an option. Pets can make the game easier, they can make the game more fun. Yes, I know people that have actually quit altogether because the pet training made them so crazy, but, to me, it boils down to: Don't like? Don't do it. If getting a pet to epic or even adult is all you want to do, that's fine, but there are some that are looking forward to the extra talent and are willing to work for it. I'm just glad we've been given the option for it and I'm glad they've kept test realm open long enough for us to level a few pets and see if any are worth training to that level in live. I doubt I'll do a pet to mega without checking in test first, but I'm glad to have that choice.

And, for people sweating the crown cost of mega snacks and how much real money it would cost to train a pet up that high, I'd point out that Deadly Helephant Ears and Evil Magma Peas are drop items now and even before that Cornbread Fruit Bush and Prickly Bear Cactus (both of which are gold items) drop mega snacks.

That all said, I really do hope we get double feeding bonuses for better-than-perfect runs, as mentioned above. :)

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
I am LOVING the pet updates!

I'd like to see a little more exp for the new games, as they take longer.

I'd like to double feed at the top level (as mentioned above)

I'd like more tickets from derby so more people would do it and we could get races with shorter waits.

Other than that, perfect!

Survivor
Dec 31, 2011
jobob95401 wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:
I don't find this to be particularly enjoyable to begin with. Training pets to Epic has been one of the most boring and tedious things in the game. With an additional 2000 xp now added for Mega pets, I can guarantee it is not something I will be rushing to the Pet Pavilion for nor will I be buying Mega Snack packs......

It has always been my opinion to train a pet to adult in the Pet games then take them to maybe Grizz and finish training them in actual battle with better xp and rewards.

I couldnt agree more if your into pet training and farming they should be able to recieve exp from a battle just like your wizard. Maybee you could add some quests that you could train the pets on as well.

I have well over 200 pets that i kept...(trashed probally 150 just to make room)..Out of 200 4 are decent out of the 4 none of them have the exact talent i was hatching for.

I agree with others there needs to be a list of what the new talents are or most will not train to mega.

Only those with crowns and time will. Second since you have added items to reduce hatching times and hatch all eggs.

Why not make an item that cost crowns that once you train your pet to adult you purchase "The all seeing pet potion" that shows you the rest of the talents for your pet.

Then you will get more people in the long run buying crowns.

Or and including "The all seeing pet potion"

You make a crowns item that guarentees a spefic talent. You could even make it to where once the the pet eats the power of unicorn or fill in the blank they be come sterile where as you could not hatch with it.

Sorry for the long winded speal I spend alot of time and Crowns on this game for myself and kids only to be further pushed away by untenable goals.

Agree...agree....agree... made tons of comments on test realm about pet training. Once pets reach adult, we should be able to at least feed them after boss fight. Once they reach epic, then they should earn experience points on boss fights and be able to give them a snack.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
The best solution for Pet training would be to train them in ACTUAL battle. Our pets would get let's say maybe 10% XP based on what the quest gives. In battles to complete badges maybe 2% of any XP you get which is actually very little. Pet snacks would still be used at the end of each battle. It would be a lot more fun than the pet games.

Survivor
Jun 24, 2012
67qwerty wrote:
Where is the button to feed your pets after the derby?
I cant seem to find it but everyone else can.
There isnt one ... at least ... i dont think ... the only way you can feed a snack to your pet is by playing a game

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Wintercull wrote:
It surprises me how many people are annoyed with the new pet talent. Pet training isn't a mandatory, it's not something you have to do in order to progress in the game; it's an option. Pets can make the game easier, they can make the game more fun. Yes, I know people that have actually quit altogether because the pet training made them so crazy, but, to me, it boils down to: Don't like? Don't do it. If getting a pet to epic or even adult is all you want to do, that's fine, but there are some that are looking forward to the extra talent and are willing to work for it. I'm just glad we've been given the option for it and I'm glad they've kept test realm open long enough for us to level a few pets and see if any are worth training to that level in live. I doubt I'll do a pet to mega without checking in test first, but I'm glad to have that choice.

And, for people sweating the crown cost of mega snacks and how much real money it would cost to train a pet up that high, I'd point out that Deadly Helephant Ears and Evil Magma Peas are drop items now and even before that Cornbread Fruit Bush and Prickly Bear Cactus (both of which are gold items) drop mega snacks.

That all said, I really do hope we get double feeding bonuses for better-than-perfect runs, as mentioned above. :)

I wish this forum had a "like". I agree 100% with this post, though the EMP drop rate on test seems very low. I got ONE so far in Avalon.

Double feeding for perfect scores would rock; maybe only for pets ancient and above? Please pretty please?

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Wintercull wrote:

What it may boil down to is - so you liked to have a trained pet? Well now that talent you wanted is more of a "chance" to get with another slot for training higher available. In the end you can not convince me this is the update pet training needed it's made for crown buyers and people who excessively garden - but not on the wizard they train the pet with or there won't be energy for both.

So make crafting, pet training and gardening for maybe 25% of the wizard population who have the time, crowns, can figure it out and then actually do it.

Altho I have "earned", with time, everything I have in the game with out the use of crowns, I have no objection to things being made easier then harder.

Defender
May 19, 2012
In regards to the two new games, I'm disappointed in them, in that if you do not complete the game, you get 0 training points. It's bad enough that you only get four training points for each game played, but to work so hard, only to end up failing towards the end, and still get 0 points is ludicrous.

I was hoping for something new and different and exciting, but the gobbler game is very similar to the cannon game. I like the Way of the Ninja Pig Game, but with the difficulty in completing the course, I won't play it, because I stand to waste a lot of time getting 0 points and I still think only 4 points every five or so games (yes, that is probably how often I would fail at this game) is just a waste of my time and effort. I'd rather feed my pet junk that I can't sell or give away in order to gain experience and not waste my time on stupid games for little to no experience points.

Until KI does something to improve the pet training system, I really can't be bothered with it anymore. I don't know why they don't listen to their player base as I have seen so very many people, myself included, who would so much prefer to level their pets in battle. If I wanted to play games like these, I'd just stay on Facebook and say forget Wizard101. Why do you think I'm not on Facebook?

Now, on the other hand, KI should make some kind of a quest for our characters to complete, along the same lines of the Way of the Ninja Pig Game. That would be very challenging, different, and a lot of fun. Throw in a few monsters along the way who will 'push' your character over the edge, and make it even more challenging. :P

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
The Grumpy Gobbler game is fun. The Nnja obby is too, but really hard.

2000 EXP is a lot, but it is worth it for an extra talent, so I think the updates are good.

Survivor
Jul 05, 2012
In my opinion the mega mega mega pets is a horrible idea.
what happens with low lvl pvp (lvl20s)?
what happens you fight someone that has a mega pet?
their pet boosts their heals, pierces your shield, and hits critical on you?
completely unfair.
mega pets should have a level limit.

Survivor
Apr 14, 2012
And there's going to be next month is new maps on Grub Guardian is Wysteria, Zafaria, and Avalon

Survivor
Mar 09, 2012
Thank you KI for the new addition...

Looking forward to the joy/pain of getting that great/awful 5th talent!

I know 2,000 is a lot, but somethings should be done overtime... they do not need to be accomplished with Mega Snacks and completed in one setting.

I am looking forward to the challenge of this new level.

I've enjoyed this game tremendously with my family. Keep up the good work!

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Well after all this work on this update it will be interesting to see all the mega pets running around.

I'm just glad that I rushed and got in all my training done prior to the update so my pets have the one talent I want them to have. I don't think this update is for the regular pet training wizards and having one less chance to get a talent with another level added doesn't really work for me so I won't be bothering with pet training any more probably.

Explorer
Jan 16, 2012
I am glad everyone can share ideas on the board...that shows us they care about our opinions. I've heard many good ideas, and I hope they hear them soon to make mega pets more fair than they currently are in training them.

Ultimately, we all want the best experience when we play and gear has its limitations, so the added pet talent really helps those of us trying to get a little more power or more defense or healing that we need for harder battles.

The cost of it is extreme though. As a pet collector, I know that 125+250 = 325 total points needed to get your pet 2 talents as adult and able to rehatch. If you add the 500+1000, it becomes epic at a total of 1825 points since it hatched.

I am thankful they are still developing the game. Like a post earlier read, it's not mandatory. Though I personally believe its not worth the investment on a fifth talent on one pet, I dont have to train one to it.

Lets be more appreciative of KI and work together instead of sending so many angry remarks in the message boards. As players, we'll motivate and inspire each other better if we look more positive in our postings.

Explorer
Apr 15, 2012
Whenever I train up pets, I always use level 7, 8, and 9 pet snacks.
With the new mega pets level, we have to train up 2000 points. That's fine, but the mega snacks I have been using don't even cause a dent in the amount of training I have to do.

I guess this is going to be extremely challenging. However, based on the amount of training and the amount of snacks that I will need to train just ONE pet up to Mega, I most certainly will not be buying mega snack packs AT ALL for pets needing to be trained to Mega. It would take way too much work and time, and wayyyy too many snacks.

My level 8 mega snacks are only giving roughly 15-20 points per snack. And I have to raise it up 2000 points? Definitely need to come out with better snacks that make it easier to train up.

Another thing.....you said that the new pet snack vendor would be coming out with high level snacks.
I seriously do not think that level 5 and level 6 pet snacks are high level. I just don't.

Survivor
Dec 18, 2009
The pet training has always been my biggest issue in the game since it was first released. These are simple benefits for the unnecessary, time consuming work you put into it. I do understand that the exp required is supposed to double with each pet lvl up but if you guys are gonna bump it up to 2000 at least give us an edge but i feel maybe thats to much to ask.
I think before K.I. start making anymore additions to the game they should see what should be improved first. I am sry to call it out like this but i believe they know exactly what they are doing and they know they are making the game harder for the players (purposely), i cant help but feel their intentions are not for the good of the players but for their own benefit(whatever their motives may be). Point i am making is i believe its a wasted effort to suggest anything because they will chose to do what they want.
I am not to excited about this update. I have a balance and a death. I am 4 years still trying to get the pet i want for my death and it took me 3 years before i even got a healing pet for my balance(unicorn) and still not the pet i am looking for. There are so mant drawbacks to this pet training feature. The gold to hatch is to expensive, you dont even know what talents your pet has, the work you put into it is so time consuming and tedious, and to top it all off you get the pet to epic and the pet is useless. But yet the only update recieved are 2 new games that cost 10 energy, more work( fill the exp bar with 2000 xp) and no edge. K.I. your producing more cons than pros to the game now.
I really hope you guys get something done right because since zafaria the game has been getting worse. You guys havent done right by the gear, the crafting, the least we can get are some useful pets and be rewarded for the hardwork we put into anything we do here. Walking out empty handed doesnt not justify the hard work players and myself have contribute to the game. Lastly and as a final say Listen to your subscribers K.I. and look at whats going on. You have more unsatisfied customers than pleased customers. Your defeating the purpose of a test realm if your just gonna put out more unproductive work thats gonna displease more people. I dont understand the logic and i dont know what the motives are but whatever direction this is headed its the beginning of a bad reputation for this game.

Survivor
May 01, 2010
goldendragon18 wrote:
I don't find this to be particularly enjoyable to begin with. Training pets to Epic has been one of the most boring and tedious things in the game. With an additional 2000 xp now added for Mega pets, I can guarantee it is not something I will be rushing to the Pet Pavilion for nor will I be buying Mega Snack packs......

It has always been my opinion to train a pet to adult in the Pet games then take them to maybe Grizz and finish training them in actual battle with better xp and rewards.

I agree. but i really wanted another online game, or a pet pvp, i mean, why have schools if not to actually be used for something other than a "YOU CAN'T HAVE! ". (Pro-Wizpet101).

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
My biggest issue is that training from Epic to Mega involves ONLY xp gain. All my stats are maxed out, and I am solely training for a 5th talent.
I just hope that newer pets are released that have attributes high enough to make it worth training past Epic for something other than a talent.

As it is, Death Dealer has a supposed max of +12% damage, but the equation on the Central Wiki limits the gain to roughly 9% with attributes maxed out around 250 or so. This made me think that pets will have a higher attribute max than before.

I guess I will just have to be on the look out for pets with super high attributes to hatch with?
pods