Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

wands getting weaker

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 18, 2009
Ok, so is it just me, or are the wands giving fewer cards as they advance in level? I don't know how others feel, but I for one do not like this turn of events. I use those so that I can build up pips, and I would like it if they returned to six-card spell givers, please.

Defender
May 19, 2012
I kind of have mixed feelings on this myself. I don't like when I begin a fight and end up with five or six wand spells right off the bat, because then I have to discard most of them to make room for the real spells, which then makes them useless to me anyways, because they are no longer available to me unless I reshuffle.

I do like using wand spells though for breaking shields that monsters put on themselves and for breaking weakness the monster cast on me. If I don't have the wand spells to do that, it is also annoying. So what I would really like to see is the same, six cards for wand spells, but a more random chance of the wand spell showing up in my deck, so they don't all appear at once.

As long as they keep showing up in my deck the way they do now, I actually prefer the fewer wand cards.

Survivor
Sep 19, 2011
Defender
Jul 23, 2011
The higher level wands give fewer spells, but at the exchange for better stats. By this, I mean they boost your pips, critical rate and critical block rate. Also, the spells use no pips which allows you to build up for a bigger attack spell. If you battle in a two person team, wands are great. The first player breaks the shield with a wand attack, then the second casts an attack spell. Great teamwork, I think!

Mastermind
Oct 15, 2010
Caballo203 wrote:
The higher level wands give fewer spells, but at the exchange for better stats. By this, I mean they boost your pips, critical rate and critical block rate. Also, the spells use no pips which allows you to build up for a bigger attack spell. If you battle in a two person team, wands are great. The first player breaks the shield with a wand attack, then the second casts an attack spell. Great teamwork, I think!

Yes, I agree... We get more block/crit in exchange for less wand spells. Also, be aware that the attacks are doing more damage...

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
transmuterwarior wrote:
Ok, so is it just me, or are the wands giving fewer cards as they advance in level? I don't know how others feel, but I for one do not like this turn of events. I use those so that I can build up pips, and I would like it if they returned to six-card spell givers, please.

Fewer cards, yes... But the stats are so much better!

My Balance wizard received a Staff of the Wildgrave as a drop in Avalon. It's a Death wand, but the stats on it are totally worth it for her. Check out the awesomeness here:

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Item:Staff_of_the_Wildgrave

-

At level 70-80, keeping your deck small is key to ending battles quickly and quietly. As such, I don't like having it cluttered up with wand strikes (which usually get discarded, anyway)~ this is my setup:

Standard Mob Deck

3 Power Nova
3 Colossal
2 Availing Hands
2 Balanceblade
2 Reshuffle

Optional

2 Amplify
1 Bladestorm

Sideboard

4 Major Torment (wand strikes)
1 Balanceblade (+30%, from amulet)
1 Hex (+35%, from amulet)

Because I can use power pips for Reshuffle, I can just spam Colossal, tri-bladed Novas at the baddies, again and again... and again, until the end of time!

The only time I would need a wand strike is if I'm facing an Ice boss, because they Tower constantly. I'm a Balance wiz, so it's not as simple as wanding off Weakness (from those annoying Death Ninja Pigs that are spammed in PvE) with an off-school strike~ if I do that, my blade goes with it. So I just fill my treasure deck with Cleanse Charm, and Shatter takes care of those pesky shields (even though it's a pip-guzzler~ 99% power pip chance and no mastery amulet, do the math. LOL.).

/my 2 cents, for what they're worth.

-El Veeb
the Archmage of Awesomeness

Defender
May 19, 2012
I was going to say the same thing, it's not so easy using wands to break shields and weakness if you have balance blades on, so it's not always ideal to use wand spells for this.

Also, if you use death traps, especially feint, you really don't want to wand the monster, or there go your traps. Something to keep in mind when you're teaming up with other people as well. You may just tick someone off, always breaking their traps. I had this problem for a bit, using my balance wizard to cast the trap then casting a wand spell from my life wizard. I learned real quick to pay attention to the traps on the monster. :P

vonawesome, I noticed the small deck you use, and I think that's AWESOME! I noticed you keep Availing Hands in your deck, but I don't put that into my deck because I group with my life wizard from my other account and she does all the healing. I just keep a few sprites in my deck, for emergencies. I did take death as my balance wizard's secondary (up to feint), however, and would most definitely want a few feints in there as well.

I was wondering though, I noticed you have two reshuffles in your deck. I've seen this question asked once before but I never saw the response to the question and have no idea where it was posted at now. When you use reshuffle, does it reshuffle the card back into the deck again as well, or do you need the second one?

With so few cards in your deck, it seems like you could just put one reshuffle and leave it at that. Or do you just put the second one in for emergencies (like say, you're discarding something and accidentally discard your reshuffle, then you have a second to fall back on)?

Edit: Also, what is Shatter? I can't seem to find it in the list of spells in the wiki. Thanks!