Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why 4/10 pet abilities?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 30, 2009
Now I'm pretty new to hatching pets so I could be wrong about everything written here. I did a little research and found that you can only unlock 4/10 pet abilities. What's more, which ones you unlock are completely random. Am I the only one who finds this rediculous?

I can understand the 10 abilities gained after hatching a pet to be random and have no problem with that. I have a problem with the fact that your pet can never reach its full potential. For example, I just spent a LOT of crowns on the book pet (Dread Grimoire or something like that). I realized shortly after that that I couldn't train it o its fullest. That means that out of its pedigree of 60 I can only get probably in the 20s. So this basically sets you up for failure. What kind of system says, "here's the max, too bad you can never reach it."

I don't normally complain about anything W101 does because I understand that they try their best to make the game fun for everyone, but this aspect of the game is plain stupid.

Please tell me if I am understanding this wrong because I hope I am.

Survivor
Mar 31, 2012
Orpheus7 wrote:
Now I'm pretty new to hatching pets so I could be wrong about everything written here. I did a little research and found that you can only unlock 4/10 pet abilities. What's more, which ones you unlock are completely random. Am I the only one who finds this rediculous?

I can understand the 10 abilities gained after hatching a pet to be random and have no problem with that. I have a problem with the fact that your pet can never reach its full potential. For example, I just spent a LOT of crowns on the book pet (Dread Grimoire or something like that). I realized shortly after that that I couldn't train it o its fullest. That means that out of its pedigree of 60 I can only get probably in the 20s. So this basically sets you up for failure. What kind of system says, "here's the max, too bad you can never reach it."

I don't normally complain about anything W101 does because I understand that they try their best to make the game fun for everyone, but this aspect of the game is plain stupid.

Please tell me if I am understanding this wrong because I hope I am.

I think that to reach it's maximum, or full potential as you say, you have to train it to be an adult, buy another pet and to the same thing, then hatch a pet in the hatchery. You get another completely different pet, and then I think you can get it to it's max with derby and abitity.

I'm not sure, I'm just guessing. My life has a blue cyclops that is a teen and has mana gift and in the derby something that does something bad to the pet behind you, minus 10 of something. I find it very useful when doing the pet derby.

Hope what I said works.......

Caitlyn StrongTalon, lvl 18 theugist.

LOL

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
The reason they do this, is because if you gained all 10 talents, that would be 10 ranks, who would want to gain all that exp for one extra talent (Not including derby). Plus, for spud pets, (Pets with amazint talents) imagine 10 SPUD TALENTS, its enough with Spell-proof, Spell-defy, Spritely, and Pain-giver. Imagine if they had Spell-proof, Spell-defy, Spritely, Unicorn, Pain-giver, Pain-bringer, [School]-giver, May-Cast Pierce, drop it, and May-cast balanceblade. Easy warlord.
Its just to limit the power of pets, plus 10 derby talents would be a pain.

Explorer
May 07, 2011
Here is an example to tell you why you can only have 4/10 talents:

Health Bounty - More Health
Mana Bounty - More Mana
Spritely - May cast Sprite
Unicorn - May cast Unicorn
Feinting Spell - Gives the card Feint
Balanceblade - Gives the card Balanceblade
Sharp-Shot - More accuracy
Spell-Defying - More resist
Pain-Bringer - More damage
Tower Shield - Gives the card Tower Shield

Understand why they don't let you get all ten talents? It would break the game. Really badly.