Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Weak Pyromancer

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 24, 2012
I could use some advice here. I'm Lvl 27 Fire Wizard and I don't feel like I have enough pips all the time. In a duel I sometimes have to pass to build up my strength so I can deliver one of MY spells. I'm ok for sand beetles and blood bats (the cards that are attached to my wand), but my fire cards turn up gray most of the time unless I pass a round. In the meantime I'm getting pummeled. This worked ok with Rotting Fodders and Gen. Achilles, but now I'm in Marleybone and these guys aren't kidding. Is it the way I have my deck set up? What can I do so that I'm able to deliver the big spells early?

Alura

Survivor
Nov 30, 2011
Try different items that give you better power pip ratings. If you have some power pips you can definitely pull off your spells faster.

Hope this helps.

Destiny Starflame Lvl 49
Master Pyromancer

Survivor
Sep 11, 2010
I get the wand that allows me an extra pip at start up - it's a gem on a stick, not very manly for the guys but no matter it's what we use on our wizards in their 20's. Some gear toward this level does offer a bit of a pip boost also. As play becomes stepped up you will find gear and deck set up become more important - especially if you solo like me.

On the other hand all my wizards are closer to or past level 30 to hit Marleybone as the beginning isn't so bad but does progress from there. They have done Crab Alley, Wyesteria and parts of Grizzlehiem to help fill in the level gap. We take all quests and side quests though DragonSprye with Celestia and Wintertusk being the only worlds be do just main quests on.

As for pips you get a new one every round of battle, you have a chance to get a regular white one or a power pip that counts as 2 pips toward any of your school spells, the number in the to corner of your spell show how many it will take away from your feet when you cast it. Try to fill in between rounds of waiting for the right amount of pips with blades, traps, a shield (any shield at lower levels because monsters cast out of schools spells too) or a wand spell but make sure your wand is the opposite of your school so you do not use up your blades and traps, it can also be handy for breaking shields the monster puts against your convert.

In the end it's all about patience to wait for the pips to be able to use the spells you want to cast, I can relate as I had a time waiting when I first played but believe me it does pay off when you can one hit stuff rather then small spell them giving them time to defeat you.

Defender
May 24, 2012
Dear Walter,
You're the second person I've heard say that they use a wand that's opposite their school. For me that would be an Ice wand. I get that part, but do I want one with cards for all schools attached, or one that has Ice sparklers only? I'm confused about this. Also, I've been at the bazaar looking at wands and I'm not sure I recognize the ones with the start-up pip. That would be a great help as I also solo. I think I'm realizing by reading in the message boards, that at this point I should be paying more attention to the capabilities of my attire. Boost percentages instead of just health score. You guys are teaching me a lot. Thanks.

Survivor
Jun 13, 2012
i am level 29 thaumaturge and i am having the same problem! i keep having to flee or die in battles w/ people on the streets. other than that i keep coming out of battles with low health ( and we are talking the HUNDREDS!). so i need more pips. please help

Chase IceShard
Level 29 Thaumaturge

Defender
May 24, 2012
Dear moocow,
I'm the weak pyromancer and I'll tell you what I've changed in the last couple weeks.
1. I keep several different wands. When you go to the bazaar, check for the ones that give you a pip or two at the beginning. Also, choose one with sparklers instead of cards. Then, before I step into a duel, I change to the wand that's opposite. If I'm fighting Firebelly, for example, I use an Ice wand. The advantage is the sparklers cost nothing to cast, and if he's put a blade trap in front of you it can be easily broken and it costs you nothing.
2. I was always in too big a hurry to strike. So now I cast my Wyldfire (ring of fire, +25% to any fire spell), then I put up shields and my casting blades (+35%). By then you've built up some pips and the big guns are ready and loaded. I can usually bring down a Rank 5 boss in a couple hits. If you have time release spells, use them! It may not seem like doing much, but you're wearing them down. Hit the boss with one. Let him cook while you deal with the minion. Relax, set yourself up, hit 'em big.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
quilteddawg63 wrote:
Dear Walter,
You're the second person I've heard say that they use a wand that's opposite their school. For me that would be an Ice wand. I get that part, but do I want one with cards for all schools attached, or one that has Ice sparklers only? I'm confused about this. Also, I've been at the bazaar looking at wands and I'm not sure I recognize the ones with the start-up pip. That would be a great help as I also solo. I think I'm realizing by reading in the message boards, that at this point I should be paying more attention to the capabilities of my attire. Boost percentages instead of just health score. You guys are teaching me a lot. Thanks.

My biggest reason for opposite school wands is to break shields on the monster that will effect my convert and not use my blades and/or traps up. In the 20's level I use the ruby gem on a stick one, it offers the pip advantage I need, I feel sorry for guys with this one but it gets it done, it also has 80 damage so you can effectively remove your 1 pip spell from you deck usually and the wand cast is 100% no fizzle. I have pretty much collected all the schools of it now, either won or purchased with gold over time.

The only wand I know of, early in the game, that has all the cards attached is the one you get in Wizard City when you started the game which now that we get the school wand first I no longer use them any more. Wand spells can make great fill ins while in fights or you can discard them in your hand so fresh cards come in next time around or you can access your sideboard with out having to throw out a spell card you are waiting on pips for. In the end a wand can work for you if you work it right.

Defender
May 24, 2012
Thanks brwac, that's my exact reasoning too. I use my wand sparklers to break their blade traps with no cost to myself, then my good spells are not diminished. I have noticed, when shopping for other wands in the bazaar that there are several wands with cards. You and Walter got me started with the sparklers and I quickly saw their value. Thanks you two for all the advice.