Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why does it have to be humans?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Apr 05, 2012
Greetings Professors and Wizards of all ages!

Of all the races on all the worlds in the spiral, why are the Humans the only ones training at Wizard City?

What about playing a Marlybonian that's learning life magic? Or a frog (sweeper) learning myth.
Let's go one step farther! A treant learning death or a forest lord learning balance!

I understand that there would have to be an entirely new set of stats created for these new races. Being a programmer myself, I know that could be frustrating.

What other races would the rest of you like to see as a starting race?

Survivor
Apr 14, 2011
vollans wrote:

Of all the races on all the worlds in the spiral, why are the Humans the only ones training at Wizard City?

What about playing a Marlybonian that's learning life magic? Or a frog (sweeper) learning myth.
Let's go one step farther! A treant learning death or a forest lord learning balance!

I understand that there would have to be an entirely new set of stats created for these new races. Being a programmer myself, I know that could be frustrating.

That is a good idea, I would like to see a race of Elf like creatures but one of the reasons that it's just humans is because to make it more life like and easier to program, I think. What would you like to see?

Survivor
Mar 07, 2009
Definitly Draconians or Ravens would be a fun idea. Marleybonians would be fun as well!

Defender
Apr 24, 2009
vollans wrote:

Sorry to completely CRUSH your idea, but

If we had all that, then all that work drawing out gear and making different designs would be flushed down the toilet. It will never happen.

Delver
Sep 20, 2009
vollans wrote:

No, because your supposed to be a wizard/witch in training. Being a different race isn't the plot of the game. Also, you can't learn magic if your human.

Explorer
Apr 05, 2012
DouDou123 wrote:
No, because your supposed to be a wizard/witch in training. Being a different race isn't the plot of the game. Also, you can't learn magic if your human.

I assume you meant "if you're not human."

What's stopping other races from learning magic?
The Balance teacher is from Marleybone. So they can learn magic.
You battle cats, dogs, rats, crabs, treants and all other manner of creature. All using the same spells you are, so having other creature races as player characters is possible.
Humans are not the only ones affected by the larger plot of the game, so why should the elves in Firecat Alley, or the bears in Grizzleheim, any other mob race sit back and watch it happen?

The only thing really stopping it from happening is the people that make the decisions at the top of the ladder.

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
Survivor
Oct 24, 2009
There are other races using magic in Wizard city.

The Ice Teacher is a Fairy.
The Balance Teachers are a Dog and a Kroc.
The Storm Teacher is a Frog.
The new Death Techer is a Dwarf.
The Life Teacher is a Cow.

Not to mention all those Teachers at Wysteria.

It just gets down to all the trouble to program the wizard players and their stuff. :P

It would be a neat idea though.
One I like.

Marissa SparkleSinger lvl 60 Life
Marissa PearlBlossom lvl 40 Fire
Marissa DreamCloud lvl 45 Myth
Marissa RainBowCrafter lvl 48 Storm

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
My question is, how would they program all the gear to look on a draconian for say, or a treant, heck, what about a troll??? Trolls just look like complete dopes.

Delver
Apr 12, 2011
Yes because if you weren't a wizard the entire plot of the game would be ruined

Mastermind
May 13, 2011
ok, i dont get it. how are wizards inhuman? our characters from earth!

Survivor
Dec 19, 2008
There is also another reason why this idea wouldn't be good right now .... We already have monsters to fight! If your race was a fire elf, and you were in Firecat alley, fighting a fire elf .... Wouldn't that be a little confusing? We also have transformations so that lowers it down even more XD If you want this to happen, Kingsisle has to make the whole game over again. This idea is supposed to be given before the game is released .... :P

Champion
Nov 22, 2008
Morresa wrote:
There are other races using magic in Wizard city.

The Ice Teacher is a Fairy.
The Balance Teachers are a Dog and a Kroc.
The Storm Teacher is a Frog.
The new Death Techer is a Dwarf.
The Life Teacher is a Cow.

Not to mention all those Teachers at Wysteria.

It just gets down to all the trouble to program the wizard players and their stuff. :P

It would be a neat idea though.
One I like.

Marissa SparkleSinger lvl 60 Life
Marissa PearlBlossom lvl 40 Fire
Marissa DreamCloud lvl 45 Myth
Marissa RainBowCrafter lvl 48 Storm

Well yes that is true and we even fight the earth teacher of Wysteria. So its very possible to have other races I know my sister (Bailey PearlBlossom, go figure) would love to be a fairy. My other sister(formally known as Katherine GoldSong) would thuroughly enjoy being a mermaid(sirens) and I would love being a Evil Snowman. Hehehe :P :P If it works for this to be programmed then so be it.

Junor Programmar,
Valdus Darkcaster

Explorer
Apr 27, 2012
I think it's a good idea!

Like you can be creatures from your own school, like Life can be elves or something :P

- Savannah LifeHunter, Level 43 Theurgist "Spider Squisher"

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
how bout this

yes we will get to be different types of creatures
but maybe instead of the gear getting redone for them
they just have a set outfit that evolves while they age
so fire wizards can be
little dragon hatchlings to start
and evolve into draconians

this will likely fix outfit problems many will say

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
Hero
Jun 11, 2010
Humans are the easiest to model, easiest to customize, and have the best proportions for the gear. Basically you would have to start from square one to make the game have multiple races .The Transformtions try to make up for that.

However I do like the idea (whether it could be possible or not). I would love to see a Mander transformation or race. My friend is obsessed with Salamanders.

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
If that happened then, it would completely re-design the game. And if you were like a elf, and Merle says: "Young Wizard!" it would be confusing. And we already have transformations. Also, the gear designing and all that would be ruined.

Jasmine FireBlade, lvl 80 pyromancer
Jessica SparkleGem, lvl 70 thaumaturge

Defender
Aug 01, 2011
DouDou123 wrote:
vollans wrote:

Uh have you seen other creatures cast spells how is that not learning magic?

Defender
Aug 01, 2011
Gobblers and bears also a lion from zafaria could be cool i love lions

Survivor
Feb 29, 2012
not to burst anyones bubble but we could replace the whole idea with transformations they could make a new marlybonian transformation or a treant transformation or all of these ideas into transformatin they can be bought for five hundred gold so maybe if they lowered that price a little bit all of this could work.

Explorer
Aug 01, 2009
auguni123 wrote:
not to burst anyones bubble but we could replace the whole idea with transformations they could make a new marlybonian transformation or a treant transformation or all of these ideas into transformatin they can be bought for five hundred gold so maybe if they lowered that price a little bit all of this could work.

More transformations would be cool, and if thy could be equipped and unequipped
Btw, 500 gold is cheap once you get to krokotopia+
I'm starting tomb of storms and have over 25k gold from selling useless stuff and questing (still buying gear, pets, a house, and keeping most furniture)

Explorer
May 27, 2012
Yeah! I mean, come on! Why do you have to play as a human! You could probably play as like, a mander! Or a wraith! Or a draconian! Or a gobbler! Or a krok! Or a ghoul! Or a banshee! Or a MarleyBonian! Please, KI! I really wanna play as a Krok learning awesome storm magic!

Survivor
Feb 23, 2012
DouDou123 wrote:
vollans wrote:

Someone is a fan of bland and normal. Small race options wouldnt hurt. After all, they have polymorphs and tranformations, so they have shown its not impossible. plus many other games have creature options. So we know it is possible for programmers to do. It would show that KI is up for a challenge, and are ready to add content. THe only thing is, existing wizards would need a way to change their race. Which could be possible in a selection, where you have a limit of 3 changes.

Survivor
Feb 02, 2009
I say this is is a great idea! The gear designing wouldn't be completely ruined, because some people would want to stay as being wizards. And someone said the other races could have a set outfit, one they keep in the entire game, so they would just evolve into better ones! And they can still buy things to boost their stats. Sure, it might be a little weird battling your own race in one of the worlds, but you have to remember, these evil guys have been "turned" by Malistaire's plots. He made his army and you, a good wizard/whatever you are, are trying to stop him! I mean, that is the whole point of the game, right? Defeating the evil people? I don't see why this shouldn't happen. I would want to be able to turn into an Ice Wyvern, or a Collosus! I think your Idea is great, Vollans!