Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Myth school no longer viable

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 28, 2009
I am writing this out of concern for what I believe is an oversight of the myth school design.

While myth remains one of the most powerful schools at low and early medium levels, it quickly becomes tedious and unworkable at higher levels.

No new multi-hit spell at high level means that a myth wizard has to boost up Humungofrog to a ridiculous level (blades, treasure blades, colossal, traps, etc) to kill enemies in street fights in the higher worlds. That would not be reason enough to abandon the class, but add to this a weak health level and a mediocre critical block availability and you have disaster. Myth wizards simply do not have the staying power to LIVE long enough to defeat fistfuls of enemies in ZF and AV.

So, one ponies up crowns for a life amulet, right?

I found myself, even with the life amulet, pipping, healing, trying to blade, etc, healing more, prep more, get myth aura cast, healing more prep more, cast frog and they don't die, heal more, prep more, finally cast another big frog and they die.

This is the only school that has this problem. I have leveled life, storm and ice to high levels. I've watched fire, balance and death friends handle things quite handily. Why is myth so clumsy at high level? (I stopped at level 65, exhausted and tired of dying.)

Why Medusa? The largest damage myth spell up to that point (used for bosses, right?) STUNS twice as its special ability. Did anyone in design ever note that 98% of all the bosses out there are immune to stun? So you fall back to Orthrus to hit bosses and start wondering why you should be excited about Medusa at all. (except for the very cool graphic, which is one of my favorites in the game).

It simply takes so much longer to accomplish quests you handled easily with other wizards. I know three people who have deleted their high level myth wizard and started new wizards in another school instead. Sadly, I have done the same.

I truly believe that the design team should give myth another look. The flavor of the class even gets jerked around - from the tough soloist at low level who can handle anything alone because he/she has a pocket full of minions, to a high level weakling who can't finish most fights without calling/begging for help. What WOULD professor Drake THINK??!
(or is that the reason he couldn't take on Malistaire himself? hmmm...)

Food for thought., submitted respectfully.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
My Myth, now level 71, was slated for delete at level 45, until I slowly figured out how to work blades and the frog - which I can pump out every 4 pips - prior to that I just could not seem to get this wizard off the ground - my gear didn't meet expectations, my spells so last years etc. wah wah wah, abracadabra - but alas I stuck it out, over the bump in road.

Of my other higher level wizards myth is one of my best creations only surpassed by my original Life who I learned the game with and she forgave me for all my boo boos.

I stuck with it - at level 56 I suited her up with the level 56 crafted Hat and Robe gear from Wintertusk - game changer for me, from then on she became a pure killer. A few blades and frog, another blade frog fight done. Boss fights bring out the bull, dog, snake lady or balisik. The cyclops minion has been a big help, I used the puppet until Zafaria.

In the end after having all the schools wizards I have found - each has it's pros and cons - the sooner you figure how they are suppose to work the easier the game goes.

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
Your post has given me much to ponder on! And here I was thinking all this time that it was just the fact my myth is the very first one who goes into a new area/world was the reason I had a harder time with her.

I still truly enjoy playing her, but I have been looking for another multi-hit spell to come our way. There are just so many buffs, blades, and traps one can put onto the enemy and then use humongofrog. although, I do have a friend and fellow myth who dealt some fantastic damage in Avalon with her "doctored" froggy.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
I am not exactly sure what gear you are using, but you need to invest some time into doing WaterWorks and getting your WaterWorks gear. Then, I advise taking some time into getting a good pet with spell proof and spritely.

Myth is far from weak, nor does it take forever to defeat mobs. A hint of advice, if I may.

With the proper gear and a good pet, Humongofrog can do 900 to 1000 damage without a blade, more if used on enemies that are boosted by myth attacks. So, what you might want to start thinking about, is blade, then frog, then blade frog, or just frog, pending on how much health is remaining.

I personally love myth, all of myth's spells, myth is one of the most powerful schools at low levels and high levels, but it is only as powerful as the wizard that uses it. If used poorly, any school can be weak.

Survivor
May 28, 2009
Hi. I have to agree with you with regards to myth. I had played a couple of years ago and then had to quit for various reasons. I had gotten a myth wizard up to level 40 or 41 and was having fun with her. got her to mooshu and due to a friend had gotten to dragonspyre.

When I came back there were so many changes and new content that I started a new wizard making her a death/life wizard. I found I was able to handle a great many things solo with her than I was ever able to with my original myth wizard.

I have kept the myth wizard but I find i'm having more fun on my death wizard.

Explorer
Apr 29, 2009
What's the complaint here, really? You think Myth is weak or that Myth's strongest global attack is among the weakest of all schools. Earthquake is really bad considering its pip amount/damage ratio...the PvE characters don't shield and build up attacks like they do in PvP so it's not really needed. This is a school that is better built for taking down enemies one at a time...with flair. I think you're asking for a stronger Myth global spell here...not sure it's a need at this level...yet. Ask again in ten or twenty more levels.

Explorer
Jan 03, 2011
I can't agree with this one. maybe it's just my biased opinion because myth is my favorite school but myth is incredibly fun, for me, to play with. It's always the first school I get through new worlds and when going through high dungeons (ww, tower, ml, morganthe...) I always favor it.

The major pros (for me):
-- myth is probably the most balanced school stats wise. i mean it has no extreme strengths or weaknesses. it's just in the middle compared to everyone else: midrange health (second or third lowest i think), mid-range damage, mid-range defence, near perfect accuracy (with proper gear)...

-- a quite unique set of spells. every school has its own special spells but frankly, myth has some of the most useful: minions (though only useful until celestia), shield breaker attacks (Although i don't use them anymore, i can't ever forget how helpful Minotaur and orthrus were), shield removers

-- FROG.
While i agree that myth should get a new AoE. something tells me i will stick to frog anyways. frog is incredibly versatile. After getting much experience fighting in group dungeons, i have come to realization that four pip AoE spells are the best. it takes way too long to wait for pips for a 8-9 rank spell. imagine what's gonna happen with tank 10. A frog with a colossal gives you a base damage of almost 600. with the average damage boost of myth, which should be at around 59-60 (more with a pet) that's anywhere from 800-1000 damage raw.
Here you can go about it one of 2 ways:

1) use Darthjt's strategy (which i use on mobs mostly) or blading once and froging. this is where frog's status as a 4 pip spell comes into play, you can spam it very fast if you use the blade - hit and repeat formula

2) mostly for boss fights: set up as much as possible (and frog. I allow myself to do this because i am confident in my pets to keep me alive meanwhile (I like to breed pet, so i have some of the best pets for any school. some of the best talent combo for myth include proof, defy, sprite, and pain / proof, pain, sprite and unicorn / proof, defy, sprite and unicorn)
this strategy will likely kill the minion and take quite a chunk from the boss.

But as Darthjt said, it really comes down to gear. my recommendation:
ww set
toth athame
peridot ring of battle
a wand that focuses more on critical block (I can't comprehend for the life of me why people value critical rating over critical block or any other stat for that matter, you're practically just gambling with your battle)
a good pet with any of the combo i discussed. it's hard to get a good pet but it's really worth it. (always focus on getting either 2 resists and sprite, or the 2 heals and proof. last talent can be anything)

dang this was long, i should just make a guide on central or something.

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
darthjt wrote:
I am not exactly sure what gear you are using, but you need to invest some time into doing WaterWorks and getting your WaterWorks gear. Then, I advise taking some time into getting a good pet with spell proof and spritely.

Myth is far from weak, nor does it take forever to defeat mobs. A hint of advice, if I may.

With the proper gear and a good pet, Humongofrog can do 900 to 1000 damage without a blade, more if used on enemies that are boosted by myth attacks. So, what you might want to start thinking about, is blade, then frog, then blade frog, or just frog, pending on how much health is remaining.

I personally love myth, all of myth's spells, myth is one of the most powerful schools at low levels and high levels, but it is only as powerful as the wizard that uses it. If used poorly, any school can be weak.

I completely agree myth can be a beast. Put a colossal on your frog and a blade and you will be hitting into the 1000s.

Don't see why you are complaining myth has some of the coolest spells in the game medusa is a strong attack for myth. Death has a scare crow which costs 7 pips that is a lot more and it can do less damage than frog.

Survivor
Aug 28, 2009
Hello again, I'm writing to clarify. TY all for your comments!

Firstly, I DID have WW gear (or most of it), I did boost frog (if you read my text you see that this was the strategy I was employing), and I still died far more often than my other wizards. I have played this game for nearly three years, I have three pvp warlords, I know the system.

I wasn't trying to whine, honestly! :-)

My concern was (as is) as I stated: in the overall design of the school. The strengths of the Myth school(minions and being the most powerful spirit school) that we enjoy at the lower levels is changed up after Dragonspyre. I'm comparing school to school. Let's not bring in pets, great gear, etc. I wasn't even trying to say determined, good players can't overcome the unbalanced (my opinion) design and be successful. And Myth still kicks serious backside in the pvp arena! :-) I've given this thought and yes, I think the lack of a level 68 multi-hit spell is possibly the largest weakness. Secondly, even with Talos, minions simply are not worth the pips to cast in ZF and AV.

It may be unfair to say this, but here goes: If Myth were given a truly powerful minion who could tough out the street fights in Avalon (where the mobs start with 8 pips and can have up to 4K health each), would that minion reduce the amount of crowns spent on npc's for hire? I hope this was not a consideration in the design of Myth's upper levels, but I fear it may be so.

Getting one's Myth wizard from Malistaire to young Morganthe provides an extra challenge, and bravo to all those who have succeeded. . I just thought I owed my myth wizard a post here to try to verbalize how unfair it seemed that Myth loses its steam and some of what makes it so powerful at lower levels.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
LisamarieSC.

You have my FULL and COMPLETE sympathy and condolences. Deep down, the way you feel about Myth is EXACTLY how I feel about it.

As you may have read already, and as I expected, we are the only ones that think the way we do, and nothing will change, nor be understood the way WE understand it.

I am so, so sorry.

Alright, let me try to help you adjust for those high level worlds. Hopefully, in a more friendly and non condescending way in which most people have replied. Especially ONE person I always see.

My basic street fight 'strategy' is to simply boost the frogs with Colossal and fire them frogs right of the bat. I actually don't play around with blades. Shields are MUCH more important, especially in Avalon/Zafaria.

Shield yourself 2 or 3 times. Fire off Colossal frogs, back to back. That should actually be enough to finish any street mob in Avalon. If not, a third frog. But always shield yourself first. Mobs in Avalon are insane, and rediculous.

Against bosses, I have sort of had a revelation, or sorts. Buy a uniform that has maximum resist against whatever element boss you will be fighting. Carry shields of that respective element ANYWAY. And shields against the element of the minion. That way, with all that resist, you'll resist any damage by at least 50-60%+. Even without shields.

Don't give up on healing spells. You may need them anyway. Don't change your general strategy against bosses either. But you'll take so much less damage. Yea, your accuracy, power pips, damage boost, and other resistances might go down the hole, but, you'll survive so much better.

I have given up thinking about Myth in terms of minions and soloist expert. And, please, you can't think that way about Myth ever, because that only really applies to the low levels. I still summon Talos for the heck of it, though. Think of Myth as unique in terms of ... being of the Myth element.

I do find that sad though, BUT, my Myth is now at 74/75/76, I forget and lost track, and I still enjoy seeing my Myth call forth Medusa attacks (despite it's relative weak power, and useless stuns against bosses) and I love Basilisk. Basilisk and Orthrus are actually my go-to spells now, I use Medusa only if I need to take advantage of converts or traps.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Actually, there are multiple strategies to use with Myth.

1. The Humungofrog Strategy, which most do use.

2. Blade once, then use an Enchanted Ninja Pig. That can do massive damage depending on your gear/boosts/critical, between 1500 and 5000 damage. All depending on how you have your wizard setup.

3.Another strategy I like to use for myth, is to Shield, use Myth Blade, Equipment Myth Blade, Spirit Blade, Treasure Spirit Blade, then use Pet Humungofrog. While his AoE DoT is killing everything, I can heal as needed, or cast blinding light and then heal, if it will take all 3 rounds.

I do agree with you completely, Minions are a complete waste of time. Not only are minions a waste of time, but so are the minion spells. That dimension shift spell is a complete joke. 6 pips to take things from a minion? Are you kidding me? It costs 5 pips just to cast a minion, Minions are attacking almost every chance they get. Minions have very low health, even talos is weak compared to Mobs in Avalon, or even Celestia & Zafaria for that matter. Not sure why anyone would ever summon a minion in PVE.

I do love the Basilisk spell, Medusa, Earthquake, Ninja Pigs, Orthrus, Minotaur, and Frog spells, those are all great and wonderful spells for myth. I do wish as you do, that instead of Dimension shift as a spell, which is totally useless, Myth got a good 6 or 7 pip attack all spell that the damage is not lowered to take of blades and shields like earthquake, but a good spell that does massive damage or damage over time, like the humungofrog pet, although you can't enchant that attack card.

I am sorry you have difficulties playing solo on your myth, it really is one of the more strategic schools to play.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Come to think of it, I STILL never got the Ninja Pig spell. ** Woe is me....

As a matter of fact, I will most likely log on right now and spend another 30 minutes just trying to farm it.

Survivor
Dec 15, 2010
Thank you!

I totally agree! I started my myth and it was the best, the minions were a big help and it wasn't to easy or hard. Getting into DS and CL I was dying almost every battle and had to call my willing friends to the rescue.

I am currently level 65 and haven't gotten my new spells. I heard dimension shift takes your minions blades and shields? HAHA! What a waste! KI NEEDS to make a better spell. Yet redo the stats of the spells. We have 2 damage over time spells. The basalisk and the humongofrog pet but that's not an actual spell. We don't however have a X pip spell like "tempest, heck hound, dryad" that's unfair especially tempest. I don't even know what the other utillity spell is for myth but I can guarantee that it's not any good. I'm just trying to let KI know they need to make myth better!

Also, my health is 2,943! That is low for 65. I have my waterworks gear and a life mastery amulet. I saw that some amulets give you health but not to much. Can anyone tell me some gear I can buy or craft and where to get it!? I need better stats!

Survivor
Jun 25, 2011
I tried a myth for a while and it seemed pretty cool, but super difficult for mobbng, considering there was only frog. For lvl 50 and lower, it is annoying.

But what i've found later on is that myth can be a powerful contribution in the most difficult instances. It seems funny because they don't really have mobbing ability but when you get to major bosses like waterworks and ghost avalon and jabberwock, you can shine by aiding your teamates by increasing their power when bosses try to remove traps or earthquake you.

Additionally for PvE, basilisk is THE strongest skill in the game, so don't underestimate your hitting power.

And in pvp its just where your meant, specifically 1v1. Played right you can overcome any situation, and even keep yourself safe with trap removal and blade removal, then destroy them with piercing and stunning power.

Realy on later levels, mobbing problems don't quite exist. Sure it takes more than the average frog, but with a couple of blades and decent equips that add % damage, your frog becomes a powerful force.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
k31th wrote:
Thank you!

I totally agree! I started my myth and it was the best, the minions were a big help and it wasn't to easy or hard. Getting into DS and CL I was dying almost every battle and had to call my willing friends to the rescue.

I am currently level 65 and haven't gotten my new spells. I heard dimension shift takes your minions blades and shields? HAHA! What a waste! KI NEEDS to make a better spell. Yet redo the stats of the spells. We have 2 damage over time spells. The basalisk and the humongofrog pet but that's not an actual spell. We don't however have a X pip spell like "tempest, heck hound, dryad" that's unfair especially tempest. I don't even know what the other utillity spell is for myth but I can guarantee that it's not any good. I'm just trying to let KI know they need to make myth better!

Also, my health is 2,943! That is low for 65. I have my waterworks gear and a life mastery amulet. I saw that some amulets give you health but not to much. Can anyone tell me some gear I can buy or craft and where to get it!? I need better stats!

Stick with your Waterworks gear!

The Crafted gear in Avalon is not too too bad, which gives a lot more health, but you lose 11 universal resistance with the hat but gain double the critical points. The Myth/Ice boots have great critical block, but you lose 3 universal resistance, incoming health, and lots of power boost.

Myth is best in WaterWorks gear when you compare the resistance to the health given.

As far as Shift goes, it is an awesome spell, it pushes a DoT that is on you, to an opponent of your choice. The Huge problem with this spell is, KI made this spell cost 4 pips! I could see if it cost 2 pips, but 4?

Yeah, KI is failing at their math skills big time. KI grade for math is a D-.

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
k31th wrote:
We don't however have a X pip spell like "tempest, heck hound, dryad" that's unfair especially tempest.

Question : How is tempest 'unfair?' Storm is the school meant to have the highest attacks and frankly, Tempest follows that statement unlike certain other later level spells. *grumble*

As for the Myth, problem the others are right. A frog with collossal and perhaps a blade could do a lot of damage.

Explorer
Jan 03, 2011
For lvl 50 and lower, it is annoying.

But what i've found later on is that myth can be a powerful contribution in the most difficult instances. It seems funny because they don't really have mobbing ability but when you get to major bosses like waterworks and ghost avalon and jabberwock, you can shine by aiding your teamates by increasing their power when bosses try to remove traps or earthquake you.

This exactly! to be quite honest myth was pretty hard to play up until level 60 but i still enjoyed. it's manageable if you don't mind the strategic play but i am glad i struck through it and i regret nothing. after getting the best astral spells, myth becomes one of the most wicked school in the spiral. As you stated, we really shine in group dungeons and mobs battles(even boss fights) are pretty much a breeze. the way i look at it people who go the flashy moves schools can't really appreciate myth properly

Myth is best in WaterWorks gear when you compare the resistance to the health given
And this works out for every school in general. the gear is good on a global aspect. I can't comprehend why people feel that set is overrated when the results are there. I once read a comment here from someone who deleted friends with bad gear and there and then i thought "that's a bit much". but i feel the same way now (though i don't delete people based on that). it sometimes pisses me off when people insist of using second or third rate gear, then whine for help on chat sigh..

Come to think of it, I STILL never got the Ninja Pig spell. ** Woe is me....
As a matter of fact, I will most likely log on right now and spend another 30 minutes just trying to farm it.

You should definitely invest time in farming it. coupled with frog, pigs is my default set up now. it's the best spell a myth can have when considering damage to pips ratio. and the low pip level makes it somewhat spam-able. it has a similar damage to orthrus and when couple with a sun spell, it's quite devastating.

Another strategy I like to use for myth, is to Shield, use Myth Blade, Equipment Myth Blade, Spirit Blade, Treasure Spirit Blade, then use Pet Humungofrog. While his AoE DoT is killing everything, I can heal as needed, or cast blinding light and then heal, if it will take all 3 rounds.
I have never really given much thought to using noble humongofrog before because my frog pet was first generation and the talents while good for a first gen, weren't to appealing (and partly because i dislike DoT spells) but it has a lot of merits. especially since the damage of noble humongofrog is quite substantial. i guess i should look into breeding that frog now.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
darthjt wrote:
Stick with your Waterworks gear!

The Crafted gear in Avalon is not too too bad, which gives a lot more health, but you lose 11 universal resistance with the hat but gain double the critical points. The Myth/Ice boots have great critical block, but you lose 3 universal resistance, incoming health, and lots of power boost.

Myth is best in WaterWorks gear when you compare the resistance to the health given.

I agree Waterworks is still really good for Myth. The only other setup I sometimes do for Myth, is max crit (usually the bosses you have to do solo). Since, without a Life Amulet, Myth healing relies on golem destruction. It isn't bad healing if you can critical often and time it right so your minion doesn't die.

Defender
Aug 26, 2010
Wow and I just thought the problem with myth is that there haven't been any updates in minions in awhile. It's amazing how many myth wizards forget that minions are their strength, you would probably find things a lot easier if you used your minions. I love playing with my myth because I set out a minion which means I don't have to carry the whole fight (my secondary is death with a death amulet so healing isn't a problem).

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
TamelaD wrote:
Wow and I just thought the problem with myth is that there haven't been any updates in minions in awhile. It's amazing how many myth wizards forget that minions are their strength, you would probably find things a lot easier if you used your minions. I love playing with my myth because I set out a minion which means I don't have to carry the whole fight (my secondary is death with a death amulet so healing isn't a problem).

Minions are not their strength. Minions havent been their strength since every other school got a minion back at level 18. Myth's strengths now are the ability to break shields, blades, and stun. If you seriously think myth's main ability is to summon minions, then you are way off of the purpose of myth at higher levels, which is what the OP is talking about.

Explorer
Jan 03, 2011
TamelaD wrote:

what level are you though? every myth learns at some point that minions are unreliable from celestia up. the amount of pips monsters get, coupled with critical just make minion a waste of pips. they get wiped out before they even have a chance to cast twice usually. Talos is the only one who can actually be useful in celestia. but in zafaria, even he bows before those wild beasts.
At this point, i don't think people mind the lack of minion as much as the lack of useful minions.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I don't use any of the new spells. I just think they are ... well, I think they are genius in their concept, but just miss when it comes to practicality.

I still use Talos, I now worked out a strategy where I can take minimal damage from anything without worrying about instant deaths, and shield my minion instead of me. I still carry Tower shields, since reduced damage simply does not hurt.

There were boss fights in which me and Talos simply dominated the battlefied. I would cast a spell, while Talos follows up with Minotaurs and Frogs. With the Time of Legends spell up, the damage flows from you and Talos like .... the damage flows from mobs. xD

There were fights that were so beautiful and awe inspiring to look at, I wished I could have rewound time and recorded it for a good youtube video.

Explorer
Apr 10, 2010
Yeah Myth isn't the BEST PvE'r but it is a boss in PvP. Quite recently I've taken it upon myself to raise one of those little buggers to do what they were ment to do: dominate PvP. PvE really isn't honestly that hard in the first place anyway. A bubble, a few blades, and maybe 2 col'd frogs and those mindless mobs are done for.

Defender
May 29, 2011
thejordanator wrote:
TamelaD wrote:

Minions are not their strength. Minions havent been their strength since every other school got a minion back at level 18. Myth's strengths now are the ability to break shields, blades, and stun. If you seriously think myth's main ability is to summon minions, then you are way off of the purpose of myth at higher levels, which is what the OP is talking about.

Thats not really true. I'm not going to say minions are myths strength but, it is there specialty. Lets put it this way.

Fires specialty is DoTs. Death, ice, and myth now have those. Does that mean its not fires speacialty though? No.

I agree that removing shields and stuff and also stunning is myths srength. But minions are still there specialty, and what seperates them from the other schools.