Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

When will pets change?

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
May 31, 2009
Bought the crowns dog for storm, man it never changes. You spend crowns for a pet and what does it give you when you level it? Nada, Hatch it? Why hatch it I should have gotten a good return on my crowns from the pet.
I stop playing for several months and a friend talked me into returning. I thought the new storm dog would be nice but I can remember now why I stop play in first place. Seems I have 12 wizards and about two have decent pets. I wish the game would wake up in the pet department.
I remember now how I deleted more pets than game has players. Some of them crown pets. Hope the dog gives me more than a smile because from this first level of leveling it dont look good. I dont Hatch pets, if they dont give me good from start they get deleted and dog on way out. waste of crowns. this is why 12 wizards and about two have good pets. I dont try hatching, the pet should come with good in it. Why is it crowns if you have to hatch good into the pet? If I spend crowns the pet should have good already in it. Or sell all pets for gold.

Explorer
May 07, 2011
Sorry for the wall of text :)

No pet is ever going to be perfect when you just buy it. Almost all of the whole pet system is luck based. Do you think I got a perfect pet when I trained my Starfish up to Ancient? NO. I got some good traits and other bad traits. But through hatching, you can get good pets. Some friends of mine have been training and hatching pets FOREVER trying to get what they want on them. You almost always have to breed. Very rarely, you might get good traits to Epic, but there is ALWAYS something better. Why have Ice-Shot when you can have Sure-Shot? Why Spritely, when you can have Unicorn? Most of the pet system is based upon hatching pets and training to get good things. If you get to Wintertusk or Celestia+ the drops there give like 1000 gold each, which is plenty to get to hatching. If you buy a pet through crowns, the is NEVER a guarantee you will get the perfect pet on your first try. If you sell the pet, you are wasting your money when you could spend a few minutes to get enough gold to hatch and maybe get better traits. Hope this helped.

Delver
Oct 08, 2010
You should think about hatching pets. its a good way to estimate what you are going to get for talents from between what each parent has. it may be hard to get it perfect but its definitely worth it and im glad i went through the hardships to get it. even if you cant its a lot better than spending wasted money on crowns pets that dont get what you want.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Most people buy the pets just for their spell card, them make them into spud pets. Sorry to break it to you, but you will NEVER get a perfect pet from a first generation.

Explorer
May 07, 2011
Ronster55 wrote:
Most people buy the pets just for their spell card, them make them into spud pets. Sorry to break it to you, but you will NEVER get a perfect pet from a first generation.

Have to make a little comment here.
The Starfish pet has the right talents (for me anyway) to become a perfect pet. Spell-Proof, Ice-Giver, Ice-Shot, and Spritely. However, I have terrible luck, so it didn't work out for me.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
BlueHighwind wrote:
Ronster55 wrote:

Have to make a little comment here.
The Starfish pet has the right talents (for me anyway) to become a perfect pet. Spell-Proof, Ice-Giver, Ice-Shot, and Spritely. However, I have terrible luck, so it didn't work out for me.

Yes, that is a good pet, but, why have ice-giver when you could have Pain-Giver? Why have Ice-Shot when you can have Sharp-shot? Thats what I mean by perfect pet, with all universal talents.

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
A perfect pet is impossible to get on a 1st gen if you want 4 specific abilities.
My suggestion would be to train a couple of pets to adult which have abilities manifested that you desire, then keep hatching those two until a hatch gives you what you want.
Over time you may also find that what you want changes. I started out wanting a spritely pet, but have found that most of the time he casts spritely after I have defeated all the enemies with a health filling scarecrow.
Now I am shooting for a double damage (death giver and pain giver), spell proof, and sharp shot pet.
I have gotten three of the 4, but I am having a tough time breeding out spritely.
Hatching is somewhat of a chore, but when you are at a higher level, gold becomes something you need to spend to stay under the gold cap, so it helps. I just don't like deleting pets, and I have a couple dozen running around my house.

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
The game is about training pets to become better. Do you really expect any pet to give you the best thing in the game when you first hatch it? No. That would ruin the whole point of it. You hatch it and get one good or okay stat, but as you level it up, you unlock more powerful stats. A Pet leveled up to Ancient is a thousand times better than a baby pet. You also will probably not get the perfect pet on the first try. You will more than likely have to get two of these pets, and chances are each one will have one or two traits that you like and some you don't, so you have to breed them.

Defender
May 19, 2012
Actually, you can end up with a pretty good pet right off the bat. I have a Snake in the Basket that I got from the bundle, and he's trained to Ancient now and has three really good talents (or at least I think they are great talents). He knows May Cast Spritely, May Cast Weakness, and he gives one card for Gargantuan (+225 damage to one spell). I'm anxious to see what his fourth talent turns out to be, and he's already got over 500 experience towards Epic. I haven't trained too many pets yet, but he is the best I've gotten so far.

My Fierce Hound is only adult though, and already knows May Cast Spritely and Death Giver, so he seems to be turning out quite good as well. I got him through a pack.

Both my hawks have learned May Cast Spritely, one gives a card for Disarmament (remove one positive) and also knows Pip O Plenty. The other hasn't been trained to adult yet. I am hoping at least one of them gets the talent for the Storm damage card (I don't know what the spell is called). If each of them ends up with at least two good talents, I may hatch them together and try to come up with a better hawk pet.

I have four sea dragons as well, but only one has been trained to adult. The other three haven't been trained at all yet. The one that is trained knows Sharp Shot and gives a card for Tower Shield. I find both of these talents to be nice to have. Again, if I can come up with two sea dragons that have at least two good talents, I may hatch them and try to come up with a better sea dragon pet.

I don't find these pets to be disappointing at all in how they are turning out, and don't have a problem with hatching to come up with even better.

Defender
May 19, 2012
I need to correct myself on one thing in my post above. The Fierce Hound was not obtained through a pack, but through the Epic Bundle. I could not recall at first, where I had gotten him from, but I was taking a look at the new bundles and noted the Epic Bundle pet was a Fierce Hound, and realized I was wrong in my post above. I have not purchased any pets directly from the crown shop, so I only have pets that I have obtained through packs, bundles, quests, and drops. I knew he didn't come from a quest or a drop, so just assumed he came from a pack. I only have one Fierce Hound, so I know he came from the Epic Bundle.

Survivor
Jul 10, 2012
When trying to get a diffrent pet when you put them in hachery there is not the greatest chance they will be perfect i mean with enough as they are the pet may have good stats and skills you never know if they have bad then just keep them it is a wast of gold to get rid of them just because they have bad stats dosent mean they wont change if you keep them they might not but pets are not first time things you get what you want all the time

Survivor
Aug 26, 2011
i still don't thank money goes for good if it did i would have a new pet but i don't so i don't have any pets i sold them and then you don't get your crowns back

Survivor
Jul 06, 2012
what's the perfect for you? though for me, the pet must be able to cast Smoke Screen, Tower Shield, Balanceblade, and Spritely. i know this will be hard, specially getting the balanceblade... on the other hand i already got the tower shield and smoke screen. btw, those abilities are from first generation pets: Sunfire Foo Dog, Vigilant Dragon, and Ivory Shenlong Dragon.

P.s. has any got all these 4 abilities in a single pet?