Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Help Understanding Some Combat Symbols

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jun 03, 2012
I realized I am having trouble understanding some of the spell symbols and what effect they have on a duel. I would really,really appreciate it if someone could clarify for me. Thank you in advance.

- Dispelling Next"Fire" Spell (round circle with spikes around it) --Do I place it on me or the mob I am dueling?

-"Fire"Damage Over Multiple Rounds - (diamond with spikes) - - Again who do I place it on?

-Convert Incoming ""Fire" Damage -What does it convert the damage to? Who do you place it on?

-Absorbs All Damage Accept Drain Damage - Once again place on me or the mob?

-The final and biggest question is the "blade." Is this attached to another spell or do you place on yourself on its own?

I know this is a lot of questions, but as you can see I am pretty lost. Again Thanks in advance.

May Your Magic Take You Far,

SaraoThundergove,Fire Wizard

Survivor
Mar 30, 2009
Darlar828 wrote:
I realized I am having trouble understanding some of the spell symbols and what effect they have on a duel. I would really,really appreciate it if someone could clarify for me. Thank you in advance.

- Dispelling Next"Fire" Spell (round circle with spikes around it) --Do I place it on me or the mob I am dueling?

-"Fire"Damage Over Multiple Rounds - (diamond with spikes) - - Again who do I place it on?

-Convert Incoming ""Fire" Damage -What does it convert the damage to? Who do you place it on?

-The final and biggest question is the "blade." Is this attached to another spell or do you place on yourself on its own?

I know this is a lot of questions, but as you can see I am pretty lost. Again Thanks in advance.

-Although dispel has it's uses in PvE, it's mostly used in PvP. What this spell does is next fire spell casted from the enemy with this on dispels. When a spell is dispelled it's lost and the pips that are used to cast it. (Against those annoying balances that load up pips for judgement. Note the correct dispel must be used. Ex: A death wizard wouldn't care for a fire dispel.)

-As the name states. It damages over time, you place it on the enemy. It can be useful for shields as the first attack breaks any shields.

-It convert you damage to ice. You mostly place it on your school's enemy mobs. In your case fire. Ex. lets say your fighting a fire boss in DS, putting a convert on him causes his resists to be lost AND the boost from ice damage is gained.

-I don't know this. I assume yourself.

-Blades are VERY useful. They boost your attacks and let you save up pips since most cost 0 pips. You place it on yourself

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Darlar828 wrote:

Hi~ I'll try and explain as best I can. ;)

Darlar828 wrote:

A dispel is a charm that's placed on one enemy; for example, if you cast a Fire dispel on a boss, his/her next Fire spell will fizzle.

Each school has a dispel~ you can learn your own school's dispel for free, but the others will cost a training point each and can be learned from Mildred Farseer (a hidden trainer in Colossus Blvd). Here are the dispels:

Quench (Fire)
Dissipate (Storm)
Entangle (Life)
Melt (Ice)
Vaporize (Myth)
Strangle (Death)
Unbalance (Balance, d'uh :P)

Balance also has Elemental (Fire/Ice/Storm) and Spirit (Myth/Life/Death) Defuse~ these are triple dispels. They costs 5 pips to cast and are school-only quest spells. Treasure versions of both cards are available at the Bazaar.

Darlar828 wrote:

If it does damage, you cast it on your enemy (unless you are Death).

The exception to this, for a Fire wiz (as far as I know, anyway), would be Immolate, which requires you to take 250 Fire damage to deal 600 to your enemy. But that's nothing~ just make sure to cast a Fire shield on yourself beforehand.

Each card has a symbol on it~ this symbol will tell you what the card is used for. I suggest checking this out:

http://wizard101.wikia.com/wiki/Spell_Types

Darlar828 wrote:

All schools resist their own damage, but (except Balance) boost against another school. Here are the opposites:

Fire/Ice
Myth/Storm
Life/Death

Level 50+:

Myth/Ice/Death.
Life/Fire/Storm.

PvE combat only:

Life, Death, & Myth/Balance.

How prisms work:

A prism, or convert, is useful for fighting same-school bosses. If you're a Fire wizard, your spells will have almost no effect on a Fire boss (because all bosses have about 80% resistance to same-school spells). When you place a prism on your enemy, it will be activated by the next incoming spell of that school and convert the damage to its opposite (see the chart I made above).

For example: You're a Fire wizard, dueling Alicane Swiftarrow (a Fire boss) in Firecat Alley. If you put a prism on him, it will convert your next spell's damage from Fire to Ice~ meaning that it'll boost against him, rather than him resisting 80% of your attack.

Darlar828 wrote:

Spirit Armor is a Life spell that, when placed on you or your teammates, absorbs 400 damage from the next attack (or 500, if you've got a treasure-card or amulet version of the spell). It looks like any other shield, but can take a few rounds to get rid of.

Note that this shield does not apply to Death's drain spells, which harm the enemy and heal the caster at the same time.

Darlar828 wrote:

Blades can be placed by you, either on yourself or your teammates, and will boost your next spell (as long as the blade is of your school~ Balanceblades are universal). Most of these are also available in treasure, pet item, or amulet form as well. Here's a list:

Fireblade (+35% to next Fire damage spell)
Stormblade (+30% to next Storm damage spell)
Iceblade (40% to next Ice damage spell)
Mythblade (+35% to next Myth damage spell)
Lifeblade (+40% to next Life damage spell)
Deathblade (+40% to next Death damage or drain spell)
Balanceblade (+25% to next damage spell)

Balance also has Elemental (Fire/Ice/Storm) and Spirit (Life/Death/Myth) tri-blades~ these are available to all schools at level 25, from the Balance tree in Krokotopia, and they add +35% to the next spell from the corresponding school (they also stack with 0-pip blades). We Sorcerers get them for free, but they cost everyone else a training point.

Another Balance buff is Bladestorm~ this is a global/group spell, that allows the caster to give a +20% blade to all teammates, including him/herself. It's also a school-only quest spell, and cannot be purchased for training points, but treasure versions are available.

Darlar828 wrote:

You're welcome~ I hope this helped, even if only a little. And, if anything I said confuses you, feel free to ask us for clarification. ;)

Happy trails,

El Veeb/Laura Shadowsong
the Archmage of Awesomeness ;)

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Try the Player Handbook, you probably have additional questions (even beyond your posting) that can be answered in the Handbook. If you still have questions afterwords, other players will (or likely already has) post the answers directly to your questions.

https://www.wizard101.com/w101playersguide/spell-cards

https://www.wizard101.com/w101playersguide/clothing-gear5

There's also tons more symbol descriptions in the "in-game" handbook/help section, as well. To get to it, open your book, click on the combat tab (wand icon) and go to page 4. The next 8 pages are all nothing but symbol descriptions.

However, has a general rule, spiked wards/blades are usually placed on the enemy, regular blades/wards are placed on yourself or a teammate.

Survivor
Feb 28, 2009
Darlar828 wrote:

Hello Darlar828!
Here are the answers to your questions:
1) Dispelling next fire spell should be placed on the mob you are dueling.

2) You place the damage over time spell on the mob you're dueling

3) The converter converts fire damage to ice damage, and you place it on your opponent.

4) Ah, the absorb spell :), you will place this on yourself and it absorbs up to 400-500 damage (depending on which absorb it is) unless the spell used against you is a

5) You will place the blade on yourself and it boosts any other spell from the school it comes from.

Hope this helps!

--Sabrina Goldendust
Lvl 46 Conjurer

Survivor
Sep 23, 2010

This will cause the next fire spell from your enemy to fizzle, place it on the enemy.

-"Fire"Damage Over Multiple Rounds - (diamond with spikes) - Again who do I place it on?

I would guess the enemy, i am not sure what card you have there

you place it on the fire enemy to convert your next fire spell to an ice spell to make it more powerful

-absorbs All Damage Accept Drain Damage - Once again place on me or the mob?
You.

-The final and biggest question is the "blade." Is this attached to another spell or do you place on yourself on its

The blade goes on you if it is a fire blade and you are using a fire spell it will increase the damage of the next fire spell used by the percentage shown on the blade.

When you choose a card either you or the enemy will light up, that tells where it goes. Hope this helps, you can also look in your book under the question mark and see about the spells and how they work.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Darlar828 wrote:

The easiest way to see what spell can be placed on who is during battle when you click on the spell in your deck either you or the monster lights up - this tells you what can have the spell put on it.

Keep in mind a lot of spells your wizard is given may never get used as they are either a waste of time or consume pips that could be used for a damage spell. I can clear up a few here.

All dispells attempt to prevent the monster from casting a spell so goes on monster.
Convert will convert your fire spell into and ice one when it hits the monster so that one goes on the monster.
The blade becomes very important, you place that on you and when you cast your next fire spell it boosts it by that percentage.
All over time spells mean they do initial damage and then follow up with more over each round stated - mainly 3.