Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

"Did not collect" quests are driving me crazy

AuthorMessage
Defender
Dec 31, 2010
I'm not even past the market yet and I've been through my 24th street battle for those spices! Ive been playing in zf for 2 weeks already! It's taking me forever! I'm not complaining about zf, I like the plot (I didn't understand cl's plot) and the graphics, but all of these street battles are draining my mana and the fun. KI, please consider raising the chances in zf concerning collecting quests.

Keira Dreamleaf lvl 65 Diviner!
(yes, these unnecessary battles have raised me about 3 levels from the start of zf!)

Survivor
Mar 11, 2011
fun23k wrote:
I'm not even past the market yet and I've been through my 24th street battle for those spices! Ive been playing in zf for 2 weeks already! It's taking me forever! I'm not complaining about zf, I like the plot (I didn't understand cl's plot) and the graphics, but all of these street battles are draining my mana and the fun. KI, please consider raising the chances in zf concerning collecting quests.

(yes, these unnecessary battles have raised me about 3 levels from the start of zf!)

I am not to Zafaria yet, and therefore have no encountered this problem, but I would have to say that you are most likely simply unlucky. But if you believe that there is a problem with the drop rate, you should probably ask
some others on how the quest went for them. Perhaps, if that quest really was a pain to every player who has gone through it, KI may make a slight change. But considering your only evidence here is based on your own luck, I doubt they'll do much.

Also, maybe you should be thankful. It got you up three levels, right?

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
There are a few areas in the Spiral, where the collecting takes forever.

Zafaria is the worst one, because not only do you have to collect from one type of mob, you end up having different collecting quests for the same type of mob.

For example: Lion Fire Ravagers. My Balance wizard was the first one to tackle them. First, you fight them a couple of different times for quests. Then, you have to collect 8 of something (I forget what it was) for another quest. It took me 57 of these Lions to collect the 8 items I needed. I fought them all by myself, until the very last fight when one person joined me (hence the odd number).

I don't mind fighting mobs a few times to collect, but when it goes on and on and on, and you don't collect anything, it gets tedious and extremely annoying, especially when you don't have any other quests that can break up the monotony.

It would be nice if we could get at least ONE item per mob fight. I can deal with that.

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
fun23k wrote:

I am past that and on elephant graveyard, but i got the spices easily, i don't understand why you are not getting those spices.(I reccomend killing with friends or just killing them faster or slower.) P.S cool, you level up tree times?That is very hard for me.
-Adam Wintersinger *A level 72 ice.*

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
The main problem with "do not collects" may be that in the lower worlds where say you had to fight 50 Fire Elves to get something the fight was usually a one or two hit fight and you were ready for the next. As the worlds progress in difficulty the fights to collect can take up to 15-20 mins before you are ready to take on some more causing a big hold up if you were planning on moving your wizard on.

I was unfortunate with the Fire Rangers in Savanna on one of my wizards and ended up fighting them over 2 days for one of the collect quests but on another wizard my luck was the same with the Water Matons in Celestia. I realize these quests are a necessary part of the game but after a while how can you help but not yawn and wish you liked a different game more.

Wizards is a game based entirely on chance to get - there is a chance you will get them over with sooner or later, you don't get to pick which.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
QueQueg wrote:

Zafaria is the worst one, because not only do you have to collect from one type of mob, you end up having different collecting quests for the same type of mob.

For example: Lion Fire Ravagers. My Balance wizard was the first one to tackle them. First, you fight them a couple of different times for quests. Then, you have to collect 8 of something (I forget what it was) for another quest. It took me 57 of these Lions to collect the 8 items I needed. I fought them all by myself, until the very last fight when one person joined me (hence the odd number).

I don't mind fighting mobs a few times to collect, but when it goes on and on and on, and you don't collect anything, it gets tedious and extremely annoying, especially when you don't have any other quests that can break up the monotony.

It would be nice if we could get at least ONE item per mob fight. I can deal with that.

Oh my gosh...those Lion Fire Ravagers.
I've just stopped playing that wizard for awhile due to that quest. I've probably killed as many as you have and now have ONE. Just ONE of whatever I need.
I really don't find that fun at all. Nor is it a challenge. It's just time consuming to the point of frustration.
Yes, it would be nice to get one at each duel...or even one at every-other duel. But over 50? Forget it.

Survivor
May 27, 2009
QueQueg wrote:

i agree. i literally fought about fifty or sixty lions before i got the guides staff. i had to do that quest in segments too avoid getting to frustrated.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
RavenLady777 wrote:
QueQueg wrote:

Oh my gosh...those Lion Fire Ravagers.
I've just stopped playing that wizard for awhile due to that quest. I've probably killed as many as you have and now have ONE. Just ONE of whatever I need.
I really don't find that fun at all. Nor is it a challenge. It's just time consuming to the point of frustration.
Yes, it would be nice to get one at each duel...or even one at every-other duel. But over 50? Forget it.

When my Ice tackled the Lion Fire Ravagers, I did around 150 (maybe more?) of them in one day. Not all were for quests of mine, though.

There were a lot of Fire wizards who were trying to fight the Ravagers. Since the Ravagers are fire themselves, it was difficult for many wizards. So, I was literally there all day long fighting them, helping as many Fire wizards as I could.

I kept my deck very very small. 2-40% blades, 2-Gargantuan, 2-Frost Giant, and 1-15% Amplify. Seven cards total. I made sure I was in the first circle while the Fire wizards took up the rest of the spots. Blade ... enhance ... amplify ... hit. I would take them all out in one shot. Since my accuracy was 100%, I never fizzled. I made a LOT of Fire wizards happy that day. Made me feel good .... plus it didn't hurt that I got two Lion badges that day.

:)

Survivor
Mar 11, 2011
Once again, I don't see much of a problem.

The fire lion rangers were easy for me since I simply powered up with balanceblade and amplify, then spammed Ra. I had two friends who were also doing the quest backing me up, and we got the quest done in about 12 battles, which was about 48 lions.

I may be wrong here, but is it possible that your luck with these quests may change if you have friends to help you?

Survivor
Aug 29, 2009
I have found the same problem when trying to get the items alone. I have had no trouble collecting when battling with other players.

Survivor
Feb 15, 2010
Oh my gosh, I hate "Defeat and collect" quests! I'm not in Zafaria yet, but I'm in Celestia right now (just began Stormriven), and I HATE HATE HATE their "Defeat and collect" quests! I miss the days when I was a lowly level 12 still in Wizard City, back when you would ALWAYS get an object after every battle! But now, I often have to go through about 10 monsters per item! Sometimes I'm lucky, like that one time where you have to collect sacred bark from those Junglethorns, and I collected two after the fourth battle, but that rarely happens. I REALLY wish they might increase the drop rate.

Courtney Starstone
Level 51
Grandmaster Theurgist

Explorer
Jul 15, 2012
fun23k wrote:

this is all the entire point of the game, if not the game would take 1 hour to beat

Delver
Feb 16, 2010
It does indeed help to have others fight with you during any of the collect this item quests. If you are fighting solo, go to a crowded realm and jump in with some folks. Otherwise it can take days and days. Yep, Zafaria and Celestia were among the worst. Those Crystal spiders in Dragonspyre have always been a pain for me as well. Oh and by the way thank you to the 2 wizards that jumped in on my soloing death wizard who was fighting water matons in Celestia. You managed to bring in 2 more of the water matons, not the fire ones, and then you fled. My scarecrow and I laughed ourselves silly and I got the fuses.

Explorer
Jan 31, 2011
fun23k wrote:

I completed those quests from the first try, but it happened to me in celestia a lot with collect quests. You gotta keep trying no matter how annoying it is, and trust me, i DO know how you feel. If you get too annoyed, do a side task or something and come back to it later.

Evan level 66 Life wizard

Survivor
Aug 19, 2011
I so agree! It's very annoying to have to fight so many combats and never see the light at the end of the tunnel. KI take heed! I also find it annoying when i have to fight lots of the same monsters. sometimes there are monsters i only need to fight once, but another for almost all quests. I understand we can multipurpose some quests, but it would be nice to fight different ones too.

going 2 or more days trying to collect is bogus. I agree there should be a limit, every other combat, or every other 2 combats. but at least give us a light at the end of the tunnel!

Survivor
Jul 14, 2012
i feel ya with those quests but i can advise that you go to an area where the monsters that yo have to collect from are there only. dont go where they are mixed with other creatures walking around, also try to go to a crowded realm and join other battles you will have a higher chance of collecting against 3 or 4 than if you fight solo vs 1 or 2.

- with tempest all quests are doable -

Explorer
Aug 01, 2009
I have a bad feeling about zafaria then.

All my wizards (a master, adept (almost magus), and a lvl 10) all have TERRIBLE luck in these collect quests. I seriously need to defeat 20-30 scarlet screamers to et the lumina crystal (for a lvl 8 or 9 that's a lot XD)

In krok - DS I still have bad luck so, I really am not looking forward to zafaria XD

Anyone else have the same bad luck as me?

Survivor
Jul 02, 2012
QueQueg wrote:

LOL, those lions are the worst, i literally had to kill exactly 99 of them until i got the 8 spears or whatever it was. Thank god for storm blade, gargantuan/tempest second turn kills, that would have drove me up a tree. I do agree with the drop rate on collection quests needing to be modified slightly on the increase side on certain quests, that would definitely be one they have to fix....

Delver
Feb 28, 2012
My tricks of the trade: (your results may vary)
1. Press M outside of battle, (be someplace enemies won't pull you into battle, of course!) maybe there is another bunch of who you need to fight.
2. Try a different realm. (busier if you are in empty, or emptier if you are in busy)
3. If you are going solo, try teaming up with somebody; if you are with somebody, try separate battles.
4. Try another time/ day.
5. Got a different quest you can do? Ok take a break from defeat-and-don't-collect!!

Survivor
Aug 07, 2010
In my opinion Zafaria collect quest were much easier than celestia. In celstia I would have to fight thirty people. Zafaria collect spells are nothing comared to Celestian.

Survivor
Jan 24, 2012
i feel your pain. quite tedious to have to kill 100 fire dudes for 8 staffs. seriously?! if i dont log out every hour or so, it would drive me mad. i suggest you do the same. hatch/train a pet, work on garden anything to break up the monotony! good luck and happy hunting.

Explorer
Feb 13, 2011
Now you are listening to a person who loves this game but I agree It did seem to take forever to get through battles and quests. Battles were so long! You can't just pop in and play for awhile and get anything done. I agree with the person who mentioned yawning. It got really boring and discouraging.
I have a thing about pets so I suffered through it but I didn't have a lot of fun. The last two worlds have been pretty much the same. A world for advanced players? No just hard and time consuming. What happened to the fun? The game is beginning to feel like work!
My two youngest have quit the game and the adult males say they work all day and they expect to have fun on the game.
The cloths always seem to be about ten levels behind what ever world I am fighting in. Most of us are still using our level 60 cloths. I am level 80 I should be glowing with power now. It would be nice to be able to fight by my self once in a while.
If the new cloths have good power I am thinking of leveling up to ninty before I fight in the new world.
Well, I am a die hard wizard fan so I will stick around and hope for the best.
Mattie

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
grahambhg on Sep 1, 2012 wrote:
My tricks of the trade: (your results may vary)
1. Press M outside of battle, (be someplace enemies won't pull you into battle, of course!) maybe there is another bunch of who you need to fight.
2. Try a different realm. (busier if you are in empty, or emptier if you are in busy)
3. If you are going solo, try teaming up with somebody; if you are with somebody, try separate battles.
4. Try another time/ day.
5. Got a different quest you can do? Ok take a break from defeat-and-don't-collect!!
If you are a bit overpowered I find going solo to be much faster (in real time) than with a team. Especially if its random drop-ins. Blading/Trapping and then single hit AoE is the fastest method if your wizard is powerful enough.

Going solo allows you to fight repeatedly using a set strategy without any concentration. So you can do it while watching TV etc. Strangers jumping in breaks the pattern, requiring you to pay attention.

If you find the battles very challenging then spend an hour somewhere else and level up. It will be much faster/easier if you are just 1 or 2 levels higher, especially with improved gear. Well worth it if you must do many reptitions of battle.

Survivor
Apr 18, 2012
I know! I'm not in zafaria yet, still on stormrivin in celestia. But every single quest I've got to collect something is crazy! I've been doing a quest in celestia for days and still haven't collected the three items I need. So Kingsisle, mind increasing the chances of collecting from ALL collect quests?

Survivor
May 17, 2012
Well I just got to ZF and that happens to me too, but just keep trying and don't give up!