Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Learning to set up your deck - Help Needed

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jun 03, 2012
I am a little embarrassed to write but feel I am missing something snd really need others help because I don't really feel like I have a handle on the subject of my deck. I am a level 26 so its kinda pitiful but what can I say? I need help. I have made it through most of Krokotopia and the Krokosphinx quests. I have done most alone, because I am not skilled enough to play the right card at the right time so I don't really play a good part of the duel team. I see young kids playing (which I haven't been for a long time) and understanding the subtleties, but I just don't really get it. How do such low level wizards have such big cards in their decks 9not and have the pips to use them. I have read everything I can find on the subject but mostly what people say after the basics is that a deck is a very individualized thing and you set up your deck for your own needs. Well, the unfortunate thing is I don't know what that means. So, everyone,how did you figure out what card to play when and what to have available.

I get such conflicting information it just confusing things even more. Do I keep a wand or not? Why don't the cards or pips I need come up? It seems like more than anything else the cards on the bottom left side show up over and over. Finally, why don't my Treasure cards show up when I discard?

Any help or where to find it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Sarai Thundergrove, Junior Archeologist (lvl 26 Fire Wizard)

Defender
Aug 06, 2011
You shouldn't be embarassed. I was confused on the same subject while questing on my first wizard. I later figured out that zero rank spells (such as blades, wands, and traps, etc.) can be helpful in powering for your spells, plus, they help you along in a battle. As you are Level 26 (So am I), you have an availabitlity for a wand that starts you off with an extra pip. If you don't have one, you might wand to check out The Bazaar in Olde Town. They start at Level 20, so you shouldn't have a hard time finding one. So, when you start with two pips, it takes less time to power for a higher ranked spell. Lets say for example a Meteor Strike spell. It takes four pips to cast, and will hit all enemies. Knowing that you know the Fireblade spell, that is, if available, the first spell you want to cast. Firetrap is also a good idea. If no power pips were acquired, then use the other power up, or wand. Then you'll have enough pips and a good spell to attack with. You and I are the same level in the same school, so I could give you a deck layout if you tell me which deck you have equipped. I can also meet you in the game if we set a Time, Realm, Date, and Zone.

Adam GoldenEyes, Level 26 Pyromancer
Krokotopia Explorer
"Your destiny is like a spark, still waiting to be lit into a full fledged fire."

Explorer
Jun 03, 2012
Adam, thank you so much,I would love hear more. once again I don't understand what difference one deck or another matters? I only thought that as you move up, the deck has more slots available. I also am confused - I see the different decks I have all show the spell cards but I don't understand - can you equip each one using the same cards and then use one or another depending on need? And then haw do you know the need. You obviously are on top of this and in comparison to my confusion. I even have trouble understanding how exactly the blade spell works. I understood it has to be attached to another card from your school, and then is it the next turn that it works? arrggh,. you can see I am a bit of a confused wizard. How I got so far i almost think it is luck, although I am getting a little less confused when helpful players like you come along.

To answer your questions, I currently am using the Mummified Deck, but I have the ones under this one also (although I don't know what that means) I play at all different times so if you let me know If there are times that are better for you we could set up a time to connect in the game. Again, I really appreciate your help and offer for in game help

Sarai Thundergrove, Junior Archeologist (lvl26 fire wizard)

Defender
May 24, 2012
I'm also a level 26 Pyromancer. Hi. I found that what helps me is keeping my deck lean. By that I mean I don't keep every card I own up for play. I keep my green fairies, my timed sprites (I'm sorry, I can't remember all these names), my meteor shower and my card that makes the flame circle for a +25% boost. My wand has six cards attached to it from various schools, and my necklace has another high powered spell from another school. That card shows up along the bottom. King was right about the wand. The first one you get just has sparkler cards attached. Trade that one for one that will give you blood bats and death sprites and ice beetles. Go to the bazaar.
Here's something else I just started doing. The doors open, you're facing a boss and one of his minions. Before you move, because once you move a muscle you're drawn into that circle. Before you move, check your deck. Mouse over the boss and minion to see what school they are and change your cards if you have to. If you're facing Ice and Death bring up your ice shields and lots of fire. I use my timed spells as often as I can to burn off some of their energy. Sometimes, if I have enough life to take a hit, I pass.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Darlar828 wrote:
Adam, thank you so much,I would love hear more. once again I don't understand what difference one deck or another matters? I only thought that as you move up, the deck has more slots available. I also am confused - I see the different decks I have all show the spell cards but I don't understand - can you equip each one using the same cards and then use one or another depending on need? And then haw do you know the need. You obviously are on top of this and in comparison to my confusion. I even have trouble understanding how exactly the blade spell works. I understood it has to be attached to another card from your school, and then is it the next turn that it works? arrggh,. you can see I am a bit of a confused wizard. How I got so far i almost think it is luck, although I am getting a little less confused when helpful players like you come along.

To answer your questions, I currently am using the Mummified Deck, but I have the ones under this one also (although I don't know what that means) I play at all different times so if you let me know If there are times that are better for you we could set up a time to connect in the game. Again, I really appreciate your help and offer for in game help

Sarai Thundergrove, Junior Archeologist (lvl26 fire wizard)

I recommend you visit the Bazaar and buy a level 25 for Fire only Deck, when you open the window to buy tab to the decks and make sure you click on usable in the bottom of box, then I double click on the level to bring highest levels to the top and then click on school and fire only will be listed first. I stop buying decks at level 35 since they have always had enough space for copies of my school spells with. I run all my wizards decks of 20 cards or less, big dungeons I either add in a few big spells or treasures but other wise don't have to fuss with it all the time. You can also buy a wand for your level that helps you get a spare pip at the start of the duel. In a dual while you are waiting for Meteor Shower which needs 4 pips at your feet, yellow ones count as 2, you can wand one round, blade your self the next, put out a trap and cast Meteor Shower, clean up with Fire Cat, wand or elf as needed.

While you are at the Bazaar sell off all the items you don't use/need so you have gold to buy stuff you can use, at low levels buying gear that boosts health is handy, it means hat, robe, boots, athemes and ring can help. I use a wand opposite of my school which would be ice so that I don't use up any of my blades or traps casting it.

My deck usually consists of 3 blades, 2 traps, 1 fairy, 3 Meteors, 2 3 pip birds, 1 Fire elf, 1 Fire Cat, 2 Prisms in case I face a fire boss, etc., I play to hit so do not put shields in my deck unless required. If you fill your deck with cards chances are you are going to spend a lot of time right mouse clicking to remove cards not needed.

Treasure cards must be loaded into your equipped deck, if they are in another deck already you must remove them to put in new one. You should become familiar on basic battle and what spells get it done and how to rearrange cards in your deck. Your spells can be loaded into several decks with out problems but treasure cards can only be in one at a time. I keep only 2 wands in my hand so if more come up I discard them. No new cards will come up if you don't discard the ones you won't need.

Access your back pack then down side click on icon of a deck, toward the end of icons across the top is one that looks like 2 gold cards stacked click on that and put in treasure cards. During a duel right mouse click to discard a regular card and click draw to bring in a treasure card.

Scale things down so you can figure it out little by little, when I started the game I didn't "get it" till I was in mid Mooshu I finally started to figure stuff out. Keep asking though it does help.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Yeah some good advice from above posters, if I may add to it in a summary form:

Know your environment, know what the enemies can do, know what your spells can do, count your spells and add to fit the area.

As a growing archmage I use only a few frogs and some bigger spells with gargantuan. I just enchant my frogs, blade up and hit. So I only have about a dozen to 20 cards in my questing deck, my pet frog spell and wand strikes on the side.

Survivor
Mar 07, 2011
It is just a matter of luck. The cards will show up at randomly times. So if you are unlucky for that moment, then you won't see the card you wanted. Also, if you want more information, then go to youtube and watch some boss fighting videos and get the idea of how to set your cards. That is where I got the idea from.

Marissa Deathbringer, Grandmaster Necromancer Level 51
Laura Lifeleaf, Legendary Theurgist Level 69

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
Darlar828 wrote:
I am a little embarrassed to write but feel I am missing something snd really need others help because I don't really feel like I have a handle on the subject of my deck. I am a level 26 so its kinda pitiful but what can I say? I need help. I have made it through most of Krokotopia and the Krokosphinx quests. I have done most alone, because I am not skilled enough to play the right card at the right time so I don't really play a good part of the duel team. I see young kids playing (which I haven't been for a long time) and understanding the subtleties, but I just don't really get it. How do such low level wizards have such big cards in their decks 9not and have the pips to use them. I have read everything I can find on the subject but mostly what people say after the basics is that a deck is a very individualized thing and you set up your deck for your own needs. Well, the unfortunate thing is I don't know what that means. So, everyone,how did you figure out what card to play when and what to have available.

I get such conflicting information it just confusing things even more. Do I keep a wand or not? Why don't the cards or pips I need come up? It seems like more than anything else the cards on the bottom left side show up over and over. Finally, why don't my Treasure cards show up when I discard?

Any help or where to find it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Sarai Thundergrove, Junior Archeologist (lvl 26 Fire Wizard)

if just the wand cards show up your deck isnt even equipped
total oops there if thats the problem
also for those high card users what are they using
if its monk, samoorai, ninja pig they grabbed that off ninja lore pack
if its anything else then its tc or from some unique clothes
i am a lower lvl fire wizard then you but make sure not to just max out everything
run a couple tc meteors ( or regular meteor i forget when ya get it)
get a pet with balance or dragon blade
max out your fire blades and traps
and during fire battles use prisms instead of fire traps
overall you decide how you run your deck with the advice i shared
also when ya discarding for tc discard wand hits for a good tradeoff
also make sure you filled the tc zone with tc in your spelldeck if ya want tc