Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizard101 like Harry Potter?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jul 08, 2010
Kay, so Harry Potter is one of my all time favorite books. (And for those of you creeps who have nothing better to do then call people nerds, reading things like Harry Potter doesn't make me a nerd.) So, I've noticed a lot of similarities between this game and Harry Potter as I'm POSITIVE many of you have too. In one ad, it even said 'Like Harry Potter? Try Wizard101!' So don't you guys agree that Merle Ambrose is kind of like Dumbledore. Our character is Harry Potter. Cyrus Drake strikes me as Severus Snape. Their personalities are exactly alike. Plus just say their names. They RHYME. Well almost. C'mon Cyrus Drake, Severus Snape. Seriously. Ravenwood is like Hogwarts. Balestrom is Flitwick. Greyrose is Mcgonogall. (Although she doesn't really look much like her, she's always reminded me of Mcgonogall for some reason.) So name some things you find similar! I'm personally glad this game has based some of it's ideas off Harry Potter because I just love that series! Happy questing to all and to all a good night! Hehe! ;))

Survivor
May 03, 2012
I am a huge fan of Harry potter and I nodiced it too! (I noticed the one about Snape and Drake on my first day.)
Dosent Malistare seem like Voldimort?

Defender
May 17, 2011
Wizty101680 wrote:
I am a huge fan of Harry potter and I nodiced it too! (I noticed the one about Snape and Drake on my first day.)
Dosent Malistare seem like Voldimort?

no, malistare has a nose. Voldemort does not.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
There's nothing wrong with HP, or playing this game... In fact, that's why I love this game so much. Boyfriend said, "oh hey, you're a Potter fan~ you'll like this game"... and he was right!

(I was 12 when the first book in the Potter series was released, and I was in my 20s when Deathly Hallows came out. To this day, I love those books just as much as my 6th-grade self did. :D)

I can match up a few of the characters, but it would be no fun if I listed them all here. Still, Falmea (and her HP counterpart) are probably my favourites~ apologies to Alhazred, Arthur, and Lydia Greyrose. :P

laulenak wrote:
no, malistare has a nose. Voldemort does not.

Good point, though I think Malistaire's nose more than makes up for Voldy's lack thereof. LOL.

*insert comment about mountains and molehills here*

-El Veeb

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
No.

Okay so the very basic aspect of the game is similar (both about wizards, both contain magic schools, both contain teams of characters trying to defeat evil). But other than that, not really. Reason being the method of casting, and inner workings of school are different. Besides, if W101 was supposed to be like Harry Potter, Ravenwood would be in Marleybone, not Wizard City. It seems you must have a British accent to get into Hogwarts.

I like that this game is different. Alot.

P.S. After Dragonspyre, it gets even more different. That and Morganthe is awesome!

Explorer
Jul 08, 2010
Wow glad I'm not the only Potterhead here!

By they way Team Voldemort. He can pretty much destroy Malistaire and his nose with him. I have but one word to prove this statement. Horcruxes. Boom. Nuff said. ;)) So uhm, @eggywig, to be honest I'd prefer an online Hogwarts. If this game was even more similar to Harry Potter, I'd be more in love with it. So we're kind of opposites, lol. @vonawesome1 really? I'm a year older than you were when Harry Potter first came out! I ready the whole series in about a month, though. My fave series by far. And yes I understand the differences between the villians, but this game wasn't exactly built off of Harry Potter, so you shouldn't base your whole argument on 'how Voldemort and Malistaire are ever so different because Malistaire has a nose', but I agree they're both extremely different. Once again, I say this with pride, Voldemort creams Malistaire, any day, any way, any time, any place. K? K.

Kayla -lvl 72, Transcendent Diviner

Kiley Dreamer -lvl 24, Adept Sorceress

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
sparksflygirl wrote:
@vonawesome1 really? I'm a year older than you were when Harry Potter first came out! I ready the whole series in about a month, though. My fave series by far.

Oh, I remember being your age like it was yesterday! Every time a new Potter book was released, my little sister and I would read the whole series, from beginning to end; then, we'd read the new one together and compare notes! We're both in our 20s now, and still die-hard Potterheads. :)

sparksflygirl wrote:
And yes I understand the differences between the villians, but this game wasn't exactly built off of Harry Potter, so you shouldn't base your whole argument on 'how Voldemort and Malistaire are ever so different because Malistaire has a nose', but I agree they're both extremely different. Once again, I say this with pride, Voldemort creams Malistaire, any day, any way, any time, any place. K? K.

Oh, come on~ I was just having a bit of fun with the nose thing, though I won't speak for the other posters. :P And I agree that Voldy would eat Malistaire for breakfast~ he doesn't fizzle or use faerie dust, and the Death Eaters would quickly and quietly beat those soul servants into submission! Bwahaha!

That said, I like Malistaire for the same reasons I liked Severus Snape~ though misguided, there were good intentions behind his evildoings (sort of); the road to... uh, Dragonspyre... is paved with good intentions, after all. Therefore, it's just as easy to love him as it is to hate his face.

(as it were, my other favourite bad-guys ("V" and the Phantom of the Opera) were also motivated by love... I'm a sucker for "sympathetic" villains, which Voldy certainly wasn't.)

This is a fun topic~ glad someone raised it from the dead!

-Laura/El Veeb/vonawesome
the Archmage of Awesomeness

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
One word in this sentence:
Wysteria.
The tournament, winning a special cup, different schools in the tournament
Oh, and Marleybone like London.
Cyrus does remind me of Severous Snape.Little grumpy to the wizard, but is a good guy in the end.