Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Do you have enough outfits that work?

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 24, 2012
When I first got into this game I wore whatever went together. A girl has to look good on the street ya' know. Now that I understand that what I'm wearing backs up my power it's another story. But here's my complaint. Even though I get clothes for winning a duel I'm still in the original tunic that Merle Ambrose gave me when I enrolled. Why, you ask? It's still the rock'in-est frock I own. Looking good has gone out the window. I'm in a red tunic, red hat (with flames!!), and then on my feet? Pink slippers. Yup. Crazy. So, finally, here's my question. Why am I being loaded up with clothes I can't use? I'm only at level 24. How many more pairs of boots do I have to sell off. And here's another thing. When I go to buy another robe or boots their life level is so low there's no point. As I level up will I have access to better stuff, or am I just shopping in the wrong place?

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
quilteddawg63 wrote:
When I first got into this game I wore whatever went together. A girl has to look good on the street ya' know. Now that I understand that what I'm wearing backs up my power it's another story. But here's my complaint. Even though I get clothes for winning a duel I'm still in the original tunic that Merle Ambrose gave me when I enrolled. Why, you ask? It's still the rock'in-est frock I own. Looking good has gone out the window. I'm in a red tunic, red hat (with flames!!), and then on my feet? Pink slippers. Yup. Crazy. So, finally, here's my question. Why am I being loaded up with clothes I can't use? I'm only at level 24. How many more pairs of boots do I have to sell off. And here's another thing. When I go to buy another robe or boots their life level is so low there's no point. As I level up will I have access to better stuff, or am I just shopping in the wrong place?

If you are a savy stylist, you will find plenty of looks for your wizard. Here are my tips:

Frequent the Bazaar and look for clothing items that carry the names of bosses in the game. Those items are often school-specific and will have better stats than the usual battle drops. Athames and rings that bear boss names are also good for school-specific stat boosts. As you level up, you will gain higher stats: more health, mana, power pip chance, accuracy, damage boost, resist, etc.

Farm bosses in each world that are known to yield special outfit item drops. Check out some guides to show who drops what item:

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65552

I have a taste for clothing that bears school symbols. All of my wizards wear at least one clothing item that shows school spirit :) My favorite bosses to farm for school-specific clothing items are in Kropotopia, Marleybone, and Mooshu. I often continue to farm these worlds as I achieve higher levels so I can take the items to Eloise and stitch them to my higher level gear items. For example, my pyromancer wears the elegant outfit for Fire, stitched to her Waterworks gear. Scarlet looks hot AND has serious fire power. Haha..

Another way to get a fresh look is to craft outfit items. Although most are not, unfortunately, unique styles, those from Wintertusk DO have a nice Norse symbol, and the items are not likely to be found in the Bazaar.

Finally, consider purchasing crowns outfits. Some of them are unique styles and colors. Again, those items can be stitched to gear appropriate to the level of your wizard.

May you travel the Spiral in style,

Iridian, Scarlet, Rowan, Moira, Alexandria, Taryn, Fashionistas 8)

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Hey, I love cool and coordinated outfits for all my wizards With that being said, the battles in the Spiral will frequently 'drop' new outfits that your wizard may or may not be able to use. This could mean drops for school-only (not necessarily yours), and drops that can be used for any school.

Once in a while, I'll get a drop that will actually be better than what my wizard already has. I find that there are many cool outfits and stats in the Bazaar and at the different world vendors that will work better than the drops.

Crafted outfits/gear get even better, especially around level 50+. The same goes with shopping at the Bazaar, but I find level 50 gear there isn't good at all, so I wait till I can check out the craft vendors spread out all over the world I'm working on, till I hit Wintertusk. That's when it starts getting serious about gear stats.

I will usually keep an outfit or two in my dorm/house bank just because it looks cool. That way, when I do pick up something with good stats, I can stitch it to my lesser, but cooler looking outfit.

Pretty much, everything else I get I sell, but if I find something I like for another school-only wizard, I will put it in the 'shared bank', so my other wizard(s) can use it.

By selling off gear you don't need, it will provide you with coins so you can purchase better gear or recipes to craft gear. There's a method to the madness. Gear I don't want? (Sad face). Coins from gear sold? (Happy face, and a WOOHOO)

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
quilteddawg63 wrote:

You should be selling anything that doesn't benefit you. That's kind of why things are 'dropped' - to help and to help us 'earn' money for better gear.

If you're not shopping in the bazaar, you're shopping in the wrong place.

There is no way you should have the original clothes on at level 24. Your life, power, shielding and power pip stats are all affected by your clothes. Do you have the same wand or deck as when you started? I doubt it.

The game isn't about being pretty, it's about beating the bad guys, which you can't continue to do without the right gear.

There is always the stitch option if you don't like the clothes that have the best stats.

now go shopping!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
quilteddawg63 wrote:

Hi there!

Drops (gear, etc) that you receive from bosses are completely random~ only quest rewards are school-specific.

As you level up, you'll get gear from quest rewards, but can also buy stuff at the Bazaar in Olde Town. If you don't know where it is, just hang a right when leaving Merle's place~ keep going in that direction, and follow the path through the Shopping District into Olde Town. When you get there, the huge building on your right is the Bazaar... Go in, and click X to see what's available. Be sure to check the box that says "usable", to view only gear for your school and level.

When choosing gear:

Don't just look at health~ I have no idea what school you are, but will assume that you're a pyromancer (Fire wiz) because you mentioned flames... if that's the case, your health and accuracy are going to be lower (to compensate for your high base-damage). Look for clothes that have a combination of stats~ boosts to accuracy, damage, resistance, incoming heals, etc., are all quite useful.

As an example~ Angela Nightflame, level 15 Pyromancer:

Hat: Cap of the Oasis (+3% universal resist)
Cloak: Scavenger's Radiant Robe (+80 HP, +2% to Fire accuracy)
Boots: Pyromancer's Lambent Boots (+13 HP, +1% to Fire accuracy)
Athame: Bastilla's Flame Dagger (+40 HP, +36 mana)
Ring: Alicane's Band (+40 HP, +36 mana)
Amulet: Nightshade's Choker (Weakness card/-30% to enemy's next spell)
Pet: Baby ruby shenlong dragon (gives 1 Quench/Fire dispel card)
Wand: gives 6 Scorch cards (60 damage each)

Total boosts:

Damage: 0
Resist: +3%
Health: 173
Accuracy: +3%
Mana: +72

Sometimes, it's a trade-off~ in this case, I gave up damage boosts for resistance and accuracy.

-

Of course, as you level up, you'll uncover different qualities to look for in gear.

Example #2~ Laura Shadowsong, level 80 Balance:

Hat: Hood of Judgement
(+287 HP, +8% PP chance, +9% universal resist, +58 Balance critical points, +18% Balance damage, +5% incoming heal)

Cloak: Cape of Judgement
(+383 HP, +8% PP chance, 12% universal resist, +13 universal block, +21% Balance damage, +30 Balance critical points, +3% incoming heal)

Boots: Boots of Judgement
(+131 HP, +8% PP chance, +27 universal block, +7% universal resist, +14% Balance damage, +4% incoming heal).

Athame: Claw of the Ghost Wolf
(+200 HP, +150 mana, +7 universal block, +16% PP chance, +12% incoming heal)

Ring: Ring of Rare Origins
(+200 HP, +150 mana, +15% PP chance, +21% incoming heal)

Amulet: Witch's Star Necklace
(+50 HP, gives 1 Hex/+35% trap and one Balanceblade/+30% to next spell)

Pet: ancient Starfish
(+7% universal resist, +4% PP chance, may cast Sprite spell)

Wand: Staff of the Wildgrave
(+2% armour piercing, +46 universal block, +26 critical points, +1 PP at start of fight).

Total boosts:

Health: +1231
Mana: +300
Damage: +53%
Resist: +35%
Accuracy: 0
Power Pips: +55%

Advanced stats:

Critical: 114 (school only~ 26 for all others)
Block: 93
Power pips: 99%
Incoming Heal: +45%
Outgoing Heal: 0
Armour Piercing: +2%
Stun resist: 0

For this particular wizard, I've chosen to play her defensively and have opted for low damage, high resistance and block. Depending on who she's fighting, I'll alter her gear as required~ as an example, Storm has a higher critical rating; when she goes up against a Storm boss, I'll trade her wand for another one that boosts her block-rating to 170, so she has a better chance of weathering the storm, so to speak. LOL.

~

If you don't like the look of your gear, you can stitch it (this costs 100 crowns per piece, but is totally worth it!).

For example, I stitched Shadowsong's best gear with some pretty, no-stat stuff that I bought for gold in the Crowns shop and at the Bazaar; her cape, for example, looks like the Guardian's Vestment, but has the Cape of Judgement's stats... That way, she looks sharp, without sacrificing power.... a girl's gotta keep her fashion cred, after all. ;)

Hope this helps!

El Veeb/Shadowsong/Angela
& the El Veeb Army :)

Explorer
Jan 14, 2011
For each new world I encounter, I always search the wizard101 wiki for cute looking outfits with great stats. I find what I want, I write it down in a little notebook, as well as who drops it and where to find them, then when I get to that area, I farm said person until I get what I want. Piece of cake. :)

But you wouldn't catch me dead in an outfit with non-matching colors. No matter how excited I am that I finally got that robe I have been wanting, I am running to the shopping district to get that thing dyed before I put it on.

On picking a stylish outfit, you also have to take into mind your mount, if you have one. You know that cute little outfit that is pretty much just tights, a wavy piece of fabric that looks like a skirt in the front and it has a cape in the back? It also has a really cute top. But, if you wear that robe while riding on a broom mount, it looks awful.

I always find myself wearing a spellbinder's hood (or something that looks similar) because I chose an awful face for my character. But the hat is cute anyways.

Defender
May 24, 2012
Thank you guys (and gals) for all the good info. I learned stuff in the last 10 minutes that I never thought of. I did do a quick run to Wisteria and came back with a great outfit that really boosted my life. The red hat looks a little strange in the Well of Spirits but it kills the ghosts!! I will now be experimenting with dying and stitching. Does she do shoes? Thanks again. Alura SunRider, Pyromancer Extraordinaire.