Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Kill you before you kill me

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
Storm wizards who need a strategy have it great, because you can use strategies like i am about to tell you to raise your rank. No not in a 2v2 or a 3v3 or a 4v4. In a 1v1. I call the strategy "Kill you before you kill me". I know technically this is the goal of everyone in PvP but with storm, especially the higher level wizards that are having trouble strategizing, or those wild bolt spammers, this is for you.

The goal is to constantly put pressure on your enemy, and have them guessing what they can do to counter your next attack. Your goal is to never go more then 4 turns without attacking. Allow me to explain. First turn Kraken, then blade and find another attack and save up to use it. Make sure you have colossal or gargantuan on them. if they shield, bring earthquake, shatter, pierce, bats, snake, mutate elf, Whatever you think you need. Constantly always finding and thinking when will my next attack show up so i can use it will help you.

This strategy works guys. I was a private with a rank of 400 and now i have ranked up to sergeant with a rank of 550. I went from 6 wins and 17 losses, to 18 wins and 22 losses.

I am not going to share how I set up my deck, but i will tell you i have changed it, and generally if you stay within the ideas that i have shown above, you generally can count on a win, especially if you go first

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
thejordanator wrote:
Storm wizards who need a strategy have it great, because you can use strategies like i am about to tell you to raise your rank. No not in a 2v2 or a 3v3 or a 4v4. In a 1v1. I call the strategy "Kill you before you kill me". I know technically this is the goal of everyone in PvP but with storm, especially the higher level wizards that are having trouble strategizing, or those wild bolt spammers, this is for you.

The goal is to constantly put pressure on your enemy, and have them guessing what they can do to counter your next attack. Your goal is to never go more then 4 turns without attacking. Allow me to explain. First turn Kraken, then blade and find another attack and save up to use it. Make sure you have colossal or gargantuan on them. if they shield, bring earthquake, shatter, pierce, bats, snake, mutate elf, Whatever you think you need. Constantly always finding and thinking when will my next attack show up so i can use it will help you.

This strategy works guys. I was a private with a rank of 400 and now i have ranked up to sergeant with a rank of 550. I went from 6 wins and 17 losses, to 18 wins and 22 losses.

I am not going to share how I set up my deck, but i will tell you i have changed it, and generally if you stay within the ideas that i have shown above, you generally can count on a win, especially if you go first

Yea that strategy does work but it also has down fall. I happen to be a death and for death it's on the easier side to beat storm since they don't heal or shield too much. So for a death they could throw up fortify use a drain and finish it up with skeletal dragon. The strategy works for a storm as long as they get power pips but due to there high power they lose the power pip chance.

It's not easy to play storm most have a lot of trouble with it although you can do a lot better with that strategy. When a storm runs into a tank it's over because even a tank can kill a storm with minimal buffs.

Survivor
Mar 27, 2010
Snowyandspots wrote:
thejordanator wrote:

Yea that strategy does work but it also has down fall. I happen to be a death and for death it's on the easier side to beat storm since they don't heal or shield too much. So for a death they could throw up fortify use a drain and finish it up with skeletal dragon. The strategy works for a storm as long as they get power pips but due to there high power they lose the power pip chance.

It's not easy to play storm most have a lot of trouble with it although you can do a lot better with that strategy. When a storm runs into a tank it's over because even a tank can kill a storm with minimal buffs.

Yep storm is an offensive school. Playing defensive as a storm will get you killed. Bats, snakes, bolt and elf are perfect shield breakers. For tank people, you might need to go full pips first before releasing your barrage of attacks. And never attack without colossal (unless you just want to break a shield). An infallible or vengeance will help too. Still storm is very hard school to use in 1v1.

Pack in an insane bolt for those desperate moment where you are sure you will lose (then when you hit, tell them I will not die by your hands :P)

P.S. when you get an ice with crafted gear (80+ resist) to storm. Forget about your chance of winning -- you won't win -- so just have fun with insane bolt or regular bolt. Spam it. hehe :)

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
Snowyandspots wrote:
thejordanator wrote:

Yes (sarcasticly) because a death can use a drain to devistate me and somehow one turn later they use a skeletal dragon? I use tower shields. I don't blindly attack. I use fortify, i heal. What makes you think that the death could kill me? They could not get to full power pips to be able to do that against me. I wouldn't allow them to last that long. Skeletal dragon with no buffs doesnt hurt. Your acting like it would. I have taken many of skeletal dragons with no buffs and they dont really effect me that much. All of the sudden you find yourself(as a death) with 500 health and no way to heal yourself because you wasted all your pips on that dang skeletal dragon and that wraith. One kraken later, good game. I am sorry but fortify, wraith, skeletal dragon combo wouldnt really work.

Why would a tank be able to kill me? Its not like my attacks dont do anything to them. Storm attacks are devistating. Ice and myth, or whoever the tank may be, will be constantly trying to heal while they are getting clobered with krakens stormzillas and tritons. They wouldnt have enough pips to kill me. A no buff snow angel isnt going to hurt, nor will a no buff mammoth, or basilisk, or gnomes, or anything really. You think that the buffs just auto appear? no. They dont. They are constantly healing and trying to shield and surpress my attacking. They arent worried about buffing and doing whatever attack they may chose. When i lose, its against a person of a higher rank sometimes, or its because another storm got lucky wild bolt spamming. Thats it. I beat everyone else most of the time, even if i go second. I Havent lost with this strategy going first at all.

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
thejordanator wrote:
Snowyandspots wrote:
thejordanator wrote:

Yes (sarcasticly) because a death can use a drain to devistate me and somehow one turn later they use a skeletal dragon? I use tower shields. I don't blindly attack. I use fortify, i heal. What makes you think that the death could kill me? They could not get to full power pips to be able to do that against me. I wouldn't allow them to last that long. Skeletal dragon with no buffs doesnt hurt. Your acting like it would. I have taken many of skeletal dragons with no buffs and they dont really effect me that much. All of the sudden you find yourself(as a death) with 500 health and no way to heal yourself because you wasted all your pips on that dang skeletal dragon and that wraith. One kraken later, good game. I am sorry but fortify, wraith, skeletal dragon combo wouldnt really work.

Why would a tank be able to kill me? Its not like my attacks dont do anything to them. Storm attacks are devistating. Ice and myth, or whoever the tank may be, will be constantly trying to heal while they are getting clobered with krakens stormzillas and tritons. They wouldnt have enough pips to kill me. A no buff snow angel isnt going to hurt, nor will a no buff mammoth, or basilisk, or gnomes, or anything really. You think that the buffs just auto appear? no. They dont. They are constantly healing and trying to shield and surpress my attacking. They arent worried about buffing and doing whatever attack they may chose. When i lose, its against a person of a higher rank sometimes, or its because another storm got lucky wild bolt spamming. Thats it. I beat everyone else most of the time, even if i go second. I Havent lost with this strategy going first at all.

What's your power pip percentage because last time I checked most storms get a lot more white pips then most people. Making it harder to attack fast. By waiting 2 turns you have given the enemy time to blade and shield at that point they can do a heavy hit on you then next turn throw an infection on you and finish you off a few turns later.

Also for a tank we can say ice and myth they can have around 42 to 51 ( for myth) and 50 to 81 ( for ice depends if it's ww gear or crafted) if you are a storm you will need to throw up a convert fast or use infallible but that takes a turn up plus another turn taken up for a blade and then depending on your luck with pips you might be ready for a triton. But that ice or myth can be ready for a medusa or ice angel.

P.S. the 81 resistance for ice would be for storm only. Since the crafted gear gives storm and normal resistance.

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
Snowyandspots wrote:
thejordanator wrote:
Snowyandspots wrote:
thejordanator wrote:

What's your power pip percentage because last time I checked most storms get a lot more white pips then most people. Making it harder to attack fast. By waiting 2 turns you have given the enemy time to blade and shield at that point they can do a heavy hit on you then next turn throw an infection on you and finish you off a few turns later.

Also for a tank we can say ice and myth they can have around 42 to 51 ( for myth) and 50 to 81 ( for ice depends if it's ww gear or crafted) if you are a storm you will need to throw up a convert fast or use infallible but that takes a turn up plus another turn taken up for a blade and then depending on your luck with pips you might be ready for a triton. But that ice or myth can be ready for a medusa or ice angel.

P.S. the 81 resistance for ice would be for storm only. Since the crafted gear gives storm and normal resistance.

Storms are supposed to have lower power pip percentage? Explain that to me. Whenever I wish for a white pip I get a yellow one. (Not complaining though, my tempest thanks me.) And my Power Pip percentage is at 39 (ish) percent.

Survivor
Nov 26, 2011
Snowyandspots wrote:
thejordanator wrote:
Snowyandspots wrote:
thejordanator wrote:

Okay that's stupid. I'm storm an my power pip chance is 82. So i get them almost every time. And after that infection a few turns later you'll be dead by a kraken or a stormzilla criticalling on you.

Explorer
Apr 10, 2010
You mean spamming? Yeah this is pretty common among Storms but dosen't get them very far. All the damage they deal just gets towered, weaknessed, healed off or completely walled by a competent Ice wizard with crafted 70+ Storm resist (I have a pic of an Ice friend with 100+ Storm and Fire resists and 50+ everywhere else). Just hitting and blading dosen't make you win. Timing and strategical spells are key (I.e. infect, dispels, doom, sacrifice, various off school tc's ect). They best a spammer can get to is Knight imo although I have seen some warlords and overlords although they seldom win against me or people I see in general. Storm is and will always be a 2v2 - 4v4 school at max level, although I've taken up the challenge up of raising one, but I only plan to take him to 60 to avoid walls of Ice and only have to face up to knight 60-80 no matter how high his rank gets :P. Once it gets high enough or I tire of 1v1 Storm I'll level up to do 2v2-4v4 with friends.

Survivor
Nov 26, 2011
Lucario450 wrote:
You mean spamming? Yeah this is pretty common among Storms but dosen't get them very far. All the damage they deal just gets towered, weaknessed, healed off or completely walled by a competent Ice wizard with crafted 70+ Storm resist (I have a pic of an Ice friend with 100+ Storm and Fire resists and 50+ everywhere else). Just hitting and blading dosen't make you win. Timing and strategical spells are key (I.e. infect, dispels, doom, sacrifice, various off school tc's ect). They best a spammer can get to is Knight imo although I have seen some warlords and overlords although they seldom win against me or people I see in general. Storm is and will always be a 2v2 - 4v4 school at max level, although I've taken up the challenge up of raising one, but I only plan to take him to 60 to avoid walls of Ice and only have to face up to knight 60-80 no matter how high his rank gets :P. Once it gets high enough or I tire of 1v1 Storm I'll level up to do 2v2-4v4 with friends.

well i can always just use a prism for myth and then woaaah no resist! or not nearly as much at any rate

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
Update: I am now a CAPTAIN with a rank of 721 and a record of 53-37. For those people who say it will stop wroking eventually, it has been serving me well, so i dont know how you are using it, or what you are thinking. Doesnt appear to be slowing down, however it is getting harder.

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
thejordanator wrote:
Update: I am now a CAPTAIN with a rank of 721 and a record of 53-37. For those people who say it will stop wroking eventually, it has been serving me well, so i dont know how you are using it, or what you are thinking. Doesnt appear to be slowing down, however it is getting harder.

Thejordanator I congradulate you on becoming captain it is not easy to become it took me a while to get to it I was finally able to get to commander (aiming for warlord). Recently I have been playing against a lot of storms and some are warlord. I am not sure if you are doing this now but maybe this might help you.

I highly recommend you use infallible with all you attacks it makes them way more effective and since you attack often the aura will work for you. Also for your heals stick with fairies. ( I think it's the one for 400 health I always get them mixed up)

I am as you probably know a death. I found the best way to counter storms is fight them like they fight you I go with blade infallible skeletal dragon. Then infection vampire. By this time the battle might be over if not another vampire. ( note all attacks have colossal)

I hope I could give you some help gl with pvp.

Explorer
May 07, 2011
Can't wait until he meets an ice with 100% resist to Storm, and 50% resist to Myth.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
BlueHighwind wrote:
Can't wait until he meets an ice with 100% resist to Storm, and 50% resist to Myth.

That is what Infallible and other Armor Piercing spells are for.

I do have a Storm Wizard, he has not lost a match yet since reaching Archmage, is still a Warlord and I have played both 4v4 and 1v1 matches.

I have gone up against Ice that have Immunity. Yet, they get defeated and I am not, so don't lose heart, because it can be done. Storm has many ways to be very powerful now and can heal, and can keep Ice from massively blading.

Delver
Oct 05, 2010
BlueHighwind wrote:

50% is easy to deal with especially with a 20% infallible :)

Delver
Oct 08, 2010
on my storm i just used the basic stack and shatter strategy, like i said its basic but it was very effective the way i set it up.

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
Garrett15141 wrote:
on my storm i just used the basic stack and shatter strategy, like i said its basic but it was very effective the way i set it up.

How can you make sure your opponent doesnt simply shield again? How can you make sure your opponent doesnt kill you by the time you have enough pips for the shatter, and i am assuming levy strategy. All strategies in pvp have a way of being countered. No iffs, No buts.

Sorry for the late response