Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Quest Helper Changes

AuthorMessage
Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
Quest helper still not working as expected. Was following a Main Quest - "Check This Out" - Belladonna said to talk to Hugo Chatterly in Pigswick Academy. I picked up a Side Quest - "All That Glitters..." - Belladonna said to talk to Oliver Quickneedle in Pigswick Academy. The quest arrow switched to the Side quest, instead of staying with the Main quest. I did submit a "bug" report.

Delver
May 04, 2009
Quest arrow not working as expected as in Prof. Greyrose's note:

3. If you are using Quest Arrow to track a side quest and accept a main storyline quest - Quest Arrow will switch to point in the direction of the main storyline quest

I was working on a side quest - "Everything's Vine" - to trim 3 vines in Pegasus Place for Verne. I accepted a Main quest - "Portal Remains" - to go talk to Belladonna since I had defeated Lord Graustark.

The quest arrow stayed with the side quest, and it did not switch to the main quest.

Survivor
Jan 23, 2011
Quest arrow not working as expected.

Was working on a Main Quest - "My Brother's Enemy" from Hagen to Talk to Soren The Wise in Savarstaad Pass.

Stopped along the way and accepted a Side Quest - "Armed for Bear" from Roneth the Unlucky to collect his shield, sword, and helmet.

The quest arrow switched to the Side Quest, instead of staying with the Main Quest as it should.

I did submit a "bug" report.

Survivor
Mar 17, 2009
My quest was "Painting the Town Red" in Avalon. (I am guessing that it is a Main Quest.) I talked to Page Jimmy and the arrow changed to "Bad Company" (which I am assuming is a Side Quest.)

Delver
May 04, 2009
Quest arrow still not working on some quests as expected.

Was following a Main Quest - "Retribution" - to talk to Shalek the Wise in Emperor's Retreat.

Stopped along the way in The Library and accepted a Side Quest from Zanne - "Brief History of Time" - to talk to Hetch Al'Dim in The Oasis.

The quest arrow switched to the Side Quest, instead of staying on the Main Quest.

Survivor
Mar 17, 2009
I had the main quest “Painting the Town Red” in Avalon, when I stopped to get the side quest “Bad Company” from Page Jimmy. The arrow changed to that quest. So I decided to do it.
When I finished that quest Page Jimmy gave me “In Through the Out Door”. I picked up another side quest at that time, "Variations of the Field". When I finished "In Through the Out Door" quest the pointer went to other side quest. After finishing that one, the pointer went back to the main quest, “Painting the Town Red.

By way of comparison, I was at the same point in the regular game. In that one, as I was doing “Painting the Town Red, I got the side quests “Variations of the Field” and “Bad Company”, the pointer did not change to either of them and stayed on my main quest.

Explorer
Jun 16, 2012
Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
XxCandyClanCanxX wrote:
Ugh! Can't we just go back to the normal jump and Quest Helper?

Here here I agree - well I have gotten over the jump but the quest arrow is going to be more of a chore then a help for those who do chose to do side quests as part of their normal playing. It won't matter to me much past DragonSprye but will have to put up with it till then.

Defender
May 19, 2012
I don't know why you can't just color coordinate side quests and main story line quests so people can know just by opening their quest journal up. In fact, can we please have the option to switch our quests to list view? I really don't like the way the quest journal is set up to begin with.

I really like it if my quest helper arrow always stays on the current quest line I'm working on, whether it be a side quest or a main story quest line. I hate having to go into my quest journal to keep changing it back every time I update the quest. If I want to change to a different quest line, then I would prefer to just manually change it. Thank you!

Survivor
Feb 08, 2009
I think the quest helper should just change to whatever quest you accept. Maybe in the book you can make the main quest a diffrent color than the side quests, so you know which one is the main quest.

Delver
Feb 28, 2012
Colors is a good idea. May I suggest:
Yellow: main
Green: side
Red: Quest helper not allowed

Survivor
Mar 26, 2012
My Quest Helper stopped when I was doing my side quest for the Dryad spell at "84" where ever I go pointing forward.

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
Well, one of my wizards finally made it to The Tomb of Storms in Krokotopia. And I was dreading it, because I know that it has so many side quests. And with the quest arrow problems since the June Updates, I thought for sure that it would be a nightmare. (I’ve already submitted more that ten quests that had problems with the arrow, between my three accounts).

But, guess what! I have already made it to the quest for the Karanahn Palace, in Karanahn Barracks, and the quest arrow has worked “exactly as expected” on all of the quests. Most of the time, I was following a Main Quest, and I purposely stopped and picked up all of the Side Quests that I could see. And the quest arrow “stayed with the Main Quest”, as expected.

I even switched to a Side Quest, and when I turned it in, the quest arrow followed the side quest as it should. It was so much more fun to be able to play the game and not have to worry about going back into the Quest Log book and fixing the arrow. Now I can go back and work on the side quests whenever I want.

Just wanted to let you know that it “is” working as expected in some areas. Now, if we could just get those other areas fixed.

Survivor
Sep 11, 2010
Personally I am glad it is almost back to normal. I much prefer my arrow following along with me and do not look forward to it not changing when I take on side quests. This past week I have not had to fool around with my quest book much at all, accept when I take on several side quests of course - what a relief after the weeks of it being so annoying I dreaded questing.

If so many wizards are having issues with not following the main quest lines I think the color coded idea is a great one rather then take the arrow away from those who do want to complete side quests. Otherwise the only option is to make some sort of note on the quest when it is given, which I think would be too much work.

Would love a huge red OPTIONAL on some of the tower fights though, my friends always get stuck with them and no one to help, MarleyBone Warehouse, BriskBreeze, Helephant Tower, all way above their playing skill and my want to do them again and disappointing them when they are defeated and have to find group to run though again and again.

If the arrow does go though as planned many wizards are going to end up with a back log of side quests they won't have a clue how to figure it out, half won't even realize they are there - knowing this from 2 players I help out, I have all I can do to get them to look in their quest books let alone be organized with it.

Explorer
Dec 15, 2009
Professor Greyrose wrote:
2. If you are using Quest Arrow to track a main storyline quest and accept a side quest - the Quest Arrow should not switch to the newly accepted side quest

I'm afraid this rule is being broken by my quest arrow! The arrow switches to any new quest I take, whether it's storyline or side quest!
If it helps, I am currently questing in ZF, and was doing so when the update came out, and when I noticed the problem!
Hope this helps!

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
Found one more new quest arrow problem in Savannah, Zafaria. Was working on a Main Quest. Stopped along the way and accepted a Side Quest. The quest arrow switched to the Side Quest, instead of staying on the Main Quest.

Like I said in my earlier post (above), when the new quest arrow changes "do" work, it does go much easier and smoother in the game. Looks like there are still a few quests that slipped through the cracks.

(I did report the quest problem to support@wizard101.com.)

Survivor
Nov 03, 2010
Put it back! It is so frustrating to do a quest now! Sorry I over reacted... But still guys, put it back like it was please.

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
Found another new quest arrow problem in Zamunda, Zafaria. Was working on a Main Quest (Shadow of a King). Accepted a Side Quest (Stars and Striped). Quest arrow switched to the Side Quest, instead of staying on the Main Quest as it should.

(I did send an e-mail to support@wizard101.com with the details.)

Should we still be reporting these problems when we find them?

Survivor
Aug 25, 2011
I wish KI would put the quest arrow back the way it was before, as well. This new system is frustrating.

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
Still continue to find new quest arrow problems in Zafaria. Working on a Main Quest. Accept a Side Quest. The quest arrow switches to the Side Quest instead of staying on the Main Quest as it should.

(Reported the new quests to support@wizard101.com again.) :(

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Honeybee313 wrote:
Still continue to find new quest arrow problems in Zafaria. Working on a Main Quest. Accept a Side Quest. The quest arrow switches to the Side Quest instead of staying on the Main Quest as it should.

Honeybee,

I'm not even convinced the issue is tied to the quests themselves. I've noticed that if I do the same quest with two different wizards, it will work correctly for one, but not the other. Sometimes it works correctly for both and sometimes it doesn't work at all for either.

It's sorta like sometimes the game will remember which character I last played when I log in, but other times it stays "stuck" on the same character.

Like these other players:

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/51404.ftl

It seemed that both of those issues started around the same time.

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
kingurz wrote:
Honeybee313 wrote:

Honeybee,

I'm not even convinced the issue is tied to the quests themselves. I've noticed that if I do the same quest with two different wizards, it will work correctly for one, but not the other. Sometimes it works correctly for both and sometimes it doesn't work at all for either.

It's sorta like sometimes the game will remember which character I last played when I log in, but other times it stays "stuck" on the same character.

Like these other players:

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/51404.ftl

It seemed that both of those issues started around the same time.

Thanks for the info. This just seems to be getting more and more confusing.

I'm only playing on the one wizard right now in Zafaria. And this has happened on "different" quests each time.

I wonder if I should even continue to send the e-mail notices to support? I started keeping a list, and right now I'm up to 18 ... :(

Survivor
Nov 24, 2010
I don't think it's working because when get on it always give me the direction of a side quest can you kingsisle let's us remove our side quest I have a tons stuck in my quest book and I don't want to do it

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
hndsa1997 wrote:
I don't think it's working because when get on it always give me the direction of a side quest can you kingsisle let's us remove our side quest I have a tons stuck in my quest book and I don't want to do it

Quests can not be removed once taken, I suggest you try to get them out of your book by working on them here and there. Some side quests have more then one part so when you hand in first part Decline the next to avoid it in your book.

I wish certain optional quests could be removed from your book - such as MarelyBone Warehouse, Helephant Tower. People take these quest unaware they are optional and can spend weeks trying to get them completed. Or at least add to the quest line Optional so they know they are not required to take the quest to progress in the game.

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
Just another update ... still finding new quest arrow problems in the Waterfront, Zafaria. Found three new ones today. Reported the specific quest information to support@wizard101.com.

Was following a Main Quest. Accepted Side Quests. Arrow switched to the new Side Quests instead of staying on the Main Quest.

And, at the end of a dungeon on a Main Quest, the arrow switched to a random side quest instead of continuing with the Main Quest.