Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Housing Item: The Gauntlet Game

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Apr 05, 2012
Greetings Professors, and Wizards of all levels.

I am an old D&D/AD&D player. One thing that I have not seen in any game for a long, long time is an endless battle dungeon; also known as a Gauntlet.

Let me try to explain what I mean...

I used to put together gauntlet dungeons for my AD&D group every week. It was an endless line of battles that would test the skill and teamwork of the players involved because the mobs would get progressively more difficult with each battle. My players loved these gauntlets, not just for the rewards, but for the challenge I gave them each week.

Here's how this idea might be applied to W101:
Appearance:
>It would look like a game table similar to the tag or treasure hunt game.

Function:
>When activated it would take the players in that wizard's group to an arena-like setting based on the home it is placed in.
>There could be a pressure plate or wall button to set options, and a lever to signal the start of the first round.

Options:
>Choose "Zone mobs" or "random"
->"Zone Mobs" mean mobs found in the zone the house is based on, or mobs of the same school as the hosting house
->"random" means from anywhere in the spiral.
>Boss cheats on/off
>Difficulty settings*
>Progression settings.**
>How many fights between rests and how long of a rest for using potions.

Rules:
>The wizard that activated the game would be the one that sets the options.
>Maximum mob level is 15
>Starting mob level can not be higher than the lowest group member.
>Maximum number of fights is 50
>Porting out of the gauntlet would have to be disabled so the group members can not leave to replenish mana, health or potions. You can only use what you bring with you.
>Porting in would also have to be disabled so a group less than four can not call for help.
>The Crown Shop would have to be disabled so wizards can not purchase henchman or potions to aid them in battle.
>The group would fight sets of mobs according to the set rules until all party members are defeated.
>When the last member is defeated they are all sent back to the hosting house and issued prizes.

Prizes:
>All of the regular gear the mob would drop at 50% frequency
>Quest gear, pets and rare items are not dropped in the gauntlet. You would still have to farm for those items.
>Gold and experience gained at 50% normal
>Gear drops, gold and experience awarded at the end of each battle.
>Trophies for different battle events.***

Now let's set up a hypothetical gauntlet:
Party:
Level 45 Balance
Level 50 Fire
Level 63 Life

Options:
>30 rounds
>5 round intervals
>five second rest
>Random mobs
>Mobs start at level 1
>Medium difficulty
>Slow Progression
>Boss cheats on

The Gauntlet:
First round:
>Three level 1 mobs
Second round:
>Three level 1 elites
Fourth round:
>Three level 1 bosses
Fifth round:
>Three level 2 mobs

Rest for five seconds.

Sixth round:
Three level 2 elites
fifteenth round:
>Three level 5 bosses

Rest for five seconds

thirtieth round:
>Three level 10 bosses
END

Results:
>Various gear and lots of gold gained by everyone! Woot!
>Ice and balance gained a level each
>Ice earned the "most fizzled" and "hardest single target hit" badges
>Life earned the "largest single heal" and "largest group heal" badges
>Balance earned the "most rounds defeated", and "longest fizzle streak" badges as well as a damaged participation ribbon

I know that there could be improvements on what I have here. There might also be something that someone will disagree with.
What do the rest of you think?

Difficulty Options:
(It could have the titles of wizards at different levels...novice, transcended, etcetera)
>"Henchmen": The party battles a henchmen. Good for a single person.
>"Mirror": The party fights against A.I. copies of themselves - including pet abilities.
>Simple: One mob at a time
>Easy: Two mob at a time
>Medium: Three mobs at a time
>Hard: Four mobs at a time
>Extreme: Four mobs to start. When one mob is defeated, another of the appropriate level based on the progression rule immediately takes its place.

Progression Options
->Slow Progression:
-->First battle populated by level 1 mobs
-->Second battle populated by level 1 elite
-->Third battle populated by level 1 bosses
-->Fourth battle populated by level 2 mobs
-->etcetera
->Medium Progression:
-->Each proceeding mob is a step higher. Level 1 mob, level 1 elite, level 1 boss, level 2 mob, etcetera.
->Hard Progression:
-->Bosses only
->Extreme Progression:
-->First battle populated by one level 1 boss, one level 2 boss, one level 3 boss and one level 4 boss.
-->Second battle populated by one level 2 boss, one level 3 boss, one level 4 boss and one level 5 boss
-->etcetera.

Trophies:
Good:
>Greatest outgoing damage dealt to a single mob in a single round: Given to the wizard that deals the most damage to a single target
>Greatest outgoing damage dealt to all mobs in a single round: Given to the wizard that deals the most 'all enemies' damage
>Greatest incoming damage deflected from a single mob in a single round:Given to the wizard that deflects the most damage from a single mob
>Greatest incoming damage deflected from a all mobs in a single round:Given to the wizard that deflects the most damage from all mobs
>Greatest single heal: Given to the wizard that heals the most health to a single target
>Greatest group heal:Given to the wizard that heals the most health to all party members combined

Bad:
>Most fizzles: Given to the wizard that fizzled the most
>Longest fizzle streak: Given to the wizard that fizzled the most times in a row.
>Most rounds defeated: Given to the wizard that spent the most rounds in a defeated state

Other:
>Participation ribbon: "I survived the gauntlet". Everyone gets this for having one or more health at the end of the gauntlet
>Damaged/Torn Participation ribbon: for those that also receive the most rounds defeated

Explorer
Apr 05, 2012
It's such a shame that this post was lost in the flood. I was really hoping to see what others had to say about it

Survivor
Jun 20, 2010
This looks like it could be fun. You might want to add in an option that makes all wizards the same level. For example:

Level 10 cap: all wizards bumped up to/reduced to level 10 base stats. Equipment & other bonuses stay the same. You keep all spells, but you caonnot recieve power pips or hit criticals, etc.

You could do this with any other level, though level 20 or higher would have the power pips, crits, etc.

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
I think that would be a cool idea. Also have a badge for completing the gauntlet. The only problem would be 50 matches would take forever. Adding a check point maybe every ten or 5 lvls would be good.

Survivor
Mar 07, 2009
I love this idea! It would be very fun and with a little tweaking and work it could be un-exploitable and quite a good thing to do on your free time
Another neat idea would be an "Arena Master" idea. Which could control a boss or what spawns while everyone is inside

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
um, no thanks.
D&D is still a game being played. Let's keep it there. This doesn't seen little kid friendly at all. Sorry

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
RavenLady777 wrote:
um, no thanks.
D&D is still a game being played. Let's keep it there. This doesn't seen little kid friendly at all. Sorry

Wow, in practically every post regarding an idea, you always have a way of putting the idea down.
I mean honestly, enough. You never used to post in this manner. Your post style has changed significantly in the last few months.

I think a gauntlet game is a wonderful idea. And it would be loved by kids of all ages.

No one is asking that D&D be brought into wizard101. That your opinion.
Lots of elements in this game have been taken from other MMOs, such as housing and pets.
Do you think the developers at KI said "nope sry we can't have housing or pets or mounts, because it already exists in another game"?
Obviously they didn't.

In the video game world, elements are always traded and borrowed from other titles, as that's what players have come to expect.

No one is turning wizard101 into another type of game with this suggestion.
Kids would love this cool, challenging addition more than you realize.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
loki1201 wrote:
RavenLady777 wrote:
um, no thanks.

Wow, in practically every post regarding an idea, you always have a way of putting the idea down.
I mean honestly, enough. You never used to post in this manner. Your post style has changed significantly in the last few months.

I think a gauntlet game is a wonderful idea. And it would be loved by kids of all ages.

No one is asking that D&D be brought into wizard101. That your opinion.
Lots of elements in this game have been taken from other MMOs, such as housing and pets.
Do you think the developers at KI said "nope sry we can't have housing or pets or mounts, because it already exists in another game"?
Obviously they didn't.

In the video game world, elements are always traded and borrowed from other titles, as that's what players have come to expect.

No one is turning wizard101 into another type of game with this suggestion.
Kids would love this cool, challenging addition more than you realize.

I don't put every idea down, just the ones that do not appeal to me; perhaps the ideas have changed and not me. Perhaps I'm tired of seeing the same ideas over and over again. (not yours; yours is unique and well thought out)
There are other ideas that I have supported. I guess you missed those. :?

Back to your idea: Kids like a challenge, just like the rest of us, but I just don't think this is a good fit. You normally don't see 8-10 year olds playing D&D and those kids are here, a LOT of those kids are here. In fact someone just complained about how crafting is way too hard and her kid(s) were frustrated. Not everything works for the younger kids.

As I said, SORRY, I just don't think the idea would be adapted into the game, and I'm sorry if you can't accept my opinion and reasoning. I will refrain from commenting on your posts in the future.

Perhaps KI will comment...I would like to see their opinion. It is really the only one that matters in the long run.

Survivor
Apr 05, 2012
This is a great idea!!! I would love it, KI please make this idea happen. Please? :D

Alyssa Starsinger
Level 40, Master Diviner
"Always there to HELP"

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
thesims3fan123 wrote:
This is a great idea!!! I would love it, KI please make this idea happen. Please? :D

Alyssa Starsinger
Level 40, Master Diviner
"Always there to HELP"

Although this exact idea is not in the game, there is a guantlet dungeon available for wizard's castles/homes. The official KI announcement is forthcoming.

Explorer
Apr 05, 2012
Greetings Professors and wizards of all ages!

RavenLady777: Your posts were fine, and your opinion has been received. Don't let others rial you up with troll flames.
RavenLady777 on June 26, 2012 @ 8:16 pm wrote:
...You normally don't see 8-10 year olds playing D&D...
I started to watch my brother play D&D at age of three. I was playing by five and wrote my first campaign when I was ten (I think I still have it in a folder someplace).
My intention was not to pull the D&D/AD&D concept and cover W101 with it like a blanket, I was only using it as an example to put my idea across. More people playing W101 know what D&D is, not all of them know what a gauntlet dungeon is.

~^v~^v~^v~^v~^v

kingurz on June 28, 2012 @ 2:53 pm wrote:
Although this exact idea is not in the game, there is a guantlet dungeon available for wizard's castles/homes. The official KI announcement is forthcoming
Is this an item in the test realm?

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
vollans wrote:

Although this exact idea is not in the game, there is a guantlet dungeon available for wizard's castles/homes. The official KI announcement is forthcoming

It is in the live realm.

Keep watching this official website for the announcement (when it is released). Or, you can go to Wizard101Central.com and search through the forums and find the posts by the wizards who have already bought it.

Survivor
Mar 07, 2009
The Midnight Sun Pagoda is a very toned down version of this! Congrats man! :D

Explorer
Apr 05, 2012
That's why I have never heard of it. That item is available only at Target stores in the United States. I live in Canada. I guess I'm out of luck.

Survivor
May 08, 2010
kingurz wrote:
vollans wrote:

It is in the live realm.

Keep watching this official website for the announcement (when it is released). Or, you can go to Wizard101Central.com and search through the forums and find the posts by the wizards who have already bought it.

I hope your right :D

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
AnimalGrrl wrote:
This looks like it could be fun. You might want to add in an option that makes all wizards the same level. For example:

Level 10 cap: all wizards bumped up to/reduced to level 10 base stats. Equipment & other bonuses stay the same. You keep all spells, but you caonnot recieve power pips or hit criticals, etc.

You could do this with any other level, though level 20 or higher would have the power pips, crits, etc.

This is one of the best ideas I have ever heard!! I would certainly buy crowns for this item.

This would add multiple levels of gameplay to wizard101, and best of all, would never get outdated!! This is an amazing idea I hope KI adds it. Gameplay fun would increase tenthfold.

Jace Beleren wrote:

Learning from your mistakes is good, but I prefer to learn from the mistakes of others.

Mastermind
May 13, 2011
when you were talking about how gauntlets are, i was thinking about tomb of the beguiler and kensington park. ever noticed that the end is a stockload of fights?