Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Please communicate with us!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 19, 2011
Thank you for your invitation to post our thoughts about PVP on the forums. I am happy to hear that you are listening to the players thoughts.

We understand that you can't make everyone happy, and maybe it's because of this that you stand silent with your thoughts and ideas and the direction that you see for PVP and for the game in general?

The players are very vocal with their thoughts and ideas and feedback. Could we please get some indication from you about where YOU think PVP is at this time? Where do you see PVP going in the future? What issues within PVP are you aware of and actively working on at this time? When can we expect to see some of the issues with PVP addressed?

At the moment, the only communication we have with you about where you all see PVP is based on the items that are released and many think you've jumped the shark and no longer care about balance in the arena based on what has been coming down the pike. Maybe you have a grand plan that isn't obvious to us at this time? Please communicate with us!

Also, in regards to the packs. I personally do not see them as gambling. However, I do not like or enjoy them. I would prefer to pay a set amount for a sure thing. I would rather have bundles than packs. I prefer to pay a set amount for a sure thing. How about a bundle including the gear set, the mount, a house, etc for $39 and then packs that include the items for the usual 399 crowns? That way, people can choose. They can either get it all for $39 (a VERY fair price), or if they would rather pay less and take the risk, they could buy a pack for a chance to get some of the items. The bundles don't have to be sold in stores. You could sell them on your site or in the crowns shop just as some of the older bundles are currently being sold.

Lastly, PLEASE allow us to trade the wands from the hydra pack to our other wizards. I opened quite a few packs and received the storm wand on my storm wizard which is worthless to me! However, it would be a great benefit to my balance wizard. I really can't understand why you would make a move like this? I opened a lot of packs, and I think I deserve to be able to actually use the items that I received.

Thank you for listening!

Administrator
Lunari wrote:
Thank you for your invitation to post our thoughts about PVP on the forums. I am happy to hear that you are listening to the players thoughts.

We understand that you can't make everyone happy, and maybe it's because of this that you stand silent with your thoughts and ideas and the direction that you see for PVP and for the game in general?

The players are very vocal with their thoughts and ideas and feedback. Could we please get some indication from you about where YOU think PVP is at this time? Where do you see PVP going in the future? What issues within PVP are you aware of and actively working on at this time? When can we expect to see some of the issues with PVP addressed?

At the moment, the only communication we have with you about where you all see PVP is based on the items that are released and many think you've jumped the shark and no longer care about balance in the arena based on what has been coming down the pike. Maybe you have a grand plan that isn't obvious to us at this time? Please communicate with us!

At this time, I can confirm that we have plans to make changes to Player vs Player combat, but we are not ready to discuss what those changes are, or how extensively PvP will be altered.
We are also not ready to release information about a timeline on these changes. The feedback here on the Player vs Player section of the official message boards are referenced during our discussions about the current state of PvP.

Lunari wrote:

Also, in regards to the packs. I personally do not see them as gambling. However, I do not like or enjoy them. I would prefer to pay a set amount for a sure thing. I would rather have bundles than packs. I prefer to pay a set amount for a sure thing. How about a bundle including the gear set, the mount, a house, etc for $39 and then packs that include the items for the usual 399 crowns? That way, people can choose. They can either get it all for $39 (a VERY fair price), or if they would rather pay less and take the risk, they could buy a pack for a chance to get some of the items. The bundles don't have to be sold in stores. You could sell them on your site or in the crowns shop just as some of the older bundles are currently being sold.

Lastly, PLEASE allow us to trade the wands from the hydra pack to our other wizards. I opened quite a few packs and received the storm wand on my storm wizard which is worthless to me! However, it would be a great benefit to my balance wizard. I really can't understand why you would make a move like this? I opened a lot of packs, and I think I deserve to be able to actually use the items that I received.

Thank you for listening!

This will give you some more information: https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/50325.ftl

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Sep 22, 2011
One of the problems with pvp are puppet teams. In pvp, midlevel teams get teams that are archmage and novice 75%-90% of the time, how are magus supposed to defend theirselves against the crazy critical rating of an archmage? Someone tell me how that is fair.

Hero
May 02, 2009
Professor Greyrose wrote:
Lunari wrote:

At this time, I can confirm that we have plans to make changes to Player vs Player combat, but we are not ready to discuss what those changes are, or how extensively PvP will be altered.
We are also not ready to release information about a timeline on these changes. The feedback here on the Player vs Player section of the official message boards are referenced during our discussions about the current state of PvP.

Lunari wrote:

Thank you for listening!

This will give you some more information: https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/50325.ftl

Its good to know that KI is listening to the players about the current state of pvp. I personally do like pvp, but I don't let it control everything I do, as I mostly play to try to have fun.

I do have one question though, you say that the pvp threads here are taken into consideration when thinking about it; what about the ones over on wizard101 central? I use both of these message boards (after all, I do like to post the feedback fridays over on central), and so I'm curious as to if your also taking centrals pvp threads in mind as well and not just these.

Survivor
Feb 10, 2011
flash33 wrote:

I do have one question though, you say that the pvp threads here are taken into consideration when thinking about it; what about the ones over on wizard101 central? I use both of these message boards (after all, I do like to post the feedback fridays over on central), and so I'm curious as to if your also taking centrals pvp threads in mind as well and not just these.

This is a great point.

There is a group of players on Central who have been working diligently on real "PvP solutions" for the past few months. I am in the group and can tell you that the results of their work is amazing! They have been posting in the KI Feedback section, hoping to gain some attention to these extremely well thought-out ideas.

I wonder if a KI representative would be interested in their work... it would be wonderful if KI could open a dialogue with that group and hear some of the issues they are tackling.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
There is an important thread in particular on the matching system that i feel should be looked at while considering change. From a group of people with an incredible amount of pvp knowledge over at central in the Kingsisle feedback section. Just in case it has fallen through the cracks I would hope the information gets to the right people. Called matchmaking 101.

Plz read http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287329 Matchmaking101

Ty for your time and consideration

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
azores333 wrote:
flash33 wrote:

This is a great point.

There is a group of players on Central who have been working diligently on real "PvP solutions" for the past few months. I am in the group and can tell you that the results of their work is amazing! They have been posting in the KI Feedback section, hoping to gain some attention to these extremely well thought-out ideas.

I wonder if a KI representative would be interested in their work... it would be wonderful if KI could open a dialogue with that group and hear some of the issues they are tackling.

The problem is some of the issues associated with these people (central pvp) are not always the concensus of the whole community. Some of the people over at central would push for thier site tournament rules to be implemented in pvp, more specifically the unwarrented restriction of treasure cards. An aim in my opinion to reduce costs players have to pay to play ranked pvp. The "group" has good ideas about the matching system (puppet teams) but also exhibits some views about other mechanics that are not supported by me or anybody i pvp with. Any Limitation on TC spells will further hurt and unbalance pvp in the current matching system where you can fight somebody three times your level, will put the lower level player at more of a disadvantage. They even speak of including pet cards people have WELL EARNED in lvl spell restriction talks over there and it is quite disturbing to people like me who have put time AND money into making these pets for a specific character. Ty for the consideration and your time

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Well, these forums are populated by wizards who are paying members. Some of the Central posters are not paying members; they are not able to post to these forums.

My thought: These matters really should be decided in favor of paying members. So, those Central posters who are members should post their thoughts to these forums. That way KI will know who pays and what we think.

Regards,

Qbb

Survivor
Dec 04, 2010
Explorer
Feb 22, 2011
From a statistical point of view, the programmatic issues are (beyond those stated in the "My Thoughts on PvP" thread):

1) Fix the matchmaking system.
2) Prevent downranking exploits.
3) Improve the Scoring System

As is stated by others, there is a thread in Central that discusses some formulae that could improve from the current matchmaking system. We are still discussing the rate of change (that is, the differential functions) amongst ourselves as to which would be a better fit.

There are also 2 more threads in development to address the other issues.

Further, please do not dismiss the thoughts of members who do not pay for subscriptions. There are some very insightful crowns players who have put in an extensive amount of organization and research into these issues.

Survivor
Dec 30, 2009
There is another associated matchmaking thread from that same group, called Matchematics. It has a lot of mathematics and goes into different formulas that KI can use for matchmaking.

You can find it here:

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289178

Survivor
Dec 25, 2008
travisAk wrote:
azores333 wrote:
flash33 wrote:

This is a great point.

The problem is some of the issues associated with these people (central pvp) are not always the concensus of the whole community. Some of the people over at central would push for thier site tournament rules to be implemented in pvp, more specifically the unwarrented restriction of treasure cards. An aim in my opinion to reduce costs players have to pay to play ranked pvp. The "group" has good ideas about the matching system (puppet teams) but also exhibits some views about other mechanics that are not supported by me or anybody i pvp with. Any Limitation on TC spells will further hurt and unbalance pvp in the current matching system where you can fight somebody three times your level, will put the lower level player at more of a disadvantage. They even speak of including pet cards people have WELL EARNED in lvl spell restriction talks over there and it is quite disturbing to people like me who have put time AND money into making these pets for a specific character. Ty for the consideration and your time

I would think a large percentage of people on Central, myself included, would have no problem with you using the high level cards versus huge mismatches, but what's also happening is low level players using them versus other low level players creating huge damage spikes that are unsurvivable by even experienced players due to low health.

Not sure if that's your playstyle, but it appears you're ignoring the reality of using extremely overranked cards.

Explorer
Apr 10, 2010
queenlybluebean wrote:
Well, these forums are populated by wizards who are paying members. Some of the Central posters are not paying members; they are not able to post to these forums.

My thought: These matters really should be decided in favor of paying members. So, those Central posters who are members should post their thoughts to these forums. That way KI will know who pays and what we think.

Regards,

Qbb

Actually for the most part there aren't that many free-to-players over there, although there are plenty of knowlage able Overlords who want to see PvP fixed. The main reason an avid PvPer would go over there is so that they can have real time responses, competitive tournaments, and the ability to communicate with other people who know what they are doing and talking about. I see more whining and complaining on these message boards than Central's. Also just because you don't elect to pay for a membership dosen't make you any less insightful. Some people who raise multiple wizards would rather pay by area to save money in the long haul.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
cca714 wrote:
Further, please do not dismiss the thoughts of members who do not pay for subscriptions. There are some very insightful crowns players who have put in an extensive amount of organization and research into these issues.

I see that you missed it, but I did state PAYING members' thoughts should be considered. Paying does include crowns players who make REGULAR crowns purchases, such as when KI allows certain crowns' players to access beta testing. However, I don't think the occasional $10-20 crowns purchase indicates "paying member". That's what I was talking about.

For example, a subscribing member who has been here since the beginning SHOULD be listened to BEFORE a crowns player of 6 months. A crowns player who has purchased the entire game probably has something valuable to say, as opposed to the kid who received a $10 gift card and has a month sub. Make sense?

Maybe KI has a reason for this limitation. Perhaps asking them for an explanation would be your best course of action.

IMHO, it's probably so that the forums aren't full of griefing and nonsense.

Anyway, I do stand by my humble opinion that paying members, sub or crowns, should be able to post here AND often hold thoughtful opinions.

Warmest Regards,

Qbb

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Lucario450 wrote:
Actually for the most part there aren't that many free-to-players over there, although there are plenty of knowlage able Overlords who want to see PvP fixed. The main reason an avid PvPer would go over there is so that they can have real time responses, competitive tournaments, and the ability to communicate with other people who know what they are doing and talking about. I see more whining and complaining on these message boards than Central's. Also just because you don't elect to pay for a membership dosen't make you any less insightful. Some people who raise multiple wizards would rather pay by area to save money in the long haul.

That's great Lucario! As long as they don't have enormous egos and wish to turn Wizard 101 into PvP 101, fine by me,oh AND as long as they care enough about this game to pay to play it.

Warmest Regards,

Qbb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2011
I just wanted to acknowledge the extraordinary work of Ivanna in Central. :)

She has put together a series of remarkable threads on potential solutions for:

Matchmaking:
http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297466&highlight=
http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289178

Downranking:
http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297466&highlight=

She makes the formulas relatively palatable. :)

I did not want such an amazing effort to go unnoticed.

Survivor
Aug 10, 2009
I agree with the post about PUPPET teams a level 80 warlord teams with level one private so they face a team of level 40 to 50 that cant block a critical attack i think the way to stop this is put a 5 level cap on meaning a level 75 can team with a level but a level 30 can not at the most a 10 level gap the people who puppet have no skill they pray upon weaker levels so they can have a title that if they tried on thier own they couldnt rank to warlord its a slap in the face to mid levels who like to learn legit how to PvP