Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

My thoughts on the Hydra's Hoard pack...

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Good morning, fellow wizards (though it probably won't be by the time this post clears~ LOL)!

So, I read about the new hoard pack this morning and, since I had some crowns left over, I decided to try my luck. Didn't do too badly~ the wand and mount didn't show up (darkness, despair!), but I did get a full set of gear, a family of crablings (they live in my basement), and a seraph... I collect pets, so that worked out quite nicely.

I even got 2 of those cute little beast pets... and, great galloping Storm Lords, they are ADORABLE! I totally took screenshots of them curling up by my feet, when I put them in my castle... if that's not cute to you, go join Malistaire, because you're a horrible human being with a heart of ice (just kidding). :P

*cough*
/youthful enthusiasm

Anyway... based on some of the stuff that turned up in there, I have a few questions/thoughts on the subject...

1. Though I ended up with some good stuff, I have to wonder what place mist wood (yes, I said mist wood) has in hoard packs. I don't need to spend crowns to get mist wood, so that seemed a bit lame... I'm just glad that I didn't spend a zillion crowns, the way some people probably will, and end up with mist wood. Even though it's partly their fault, those people are going to be annoyed.

2. The gear I got said it was for level 80+ only. Fine, since I got them on my archmage sorceress... but, when I was selling some stuff at the bazaar, I saw a level 40 Ice wiz wearing the exact-same gear (I actually clicked on him and confirmed that it was the same gear), except his said it was for level 40+ only...

Does it depend on which wizard buys the pack? Like, if my level 31 Life wiz bought the pack, would the gear show as for level 30+ only? I find it a little unfair, and odd, that a level 40 and level 80 would have the same stats (though I'll probably stick with my WW gear, since it still has better ones).

Anyone else have opinions to share?

(Please stay away from bashing KI, since we all know they're a business, blah blah).

El Veeb, archmage sorceress
(& crusher of hopes and dreams!)

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
I spent a few crowns on the new pack. I got two of the mandolin wands, 3 common pets, an excellent hat and boots for my Pyromanceress, and a grandfather clock. I got other stuff too, but it wasn't worth mentioning.

The only thing I see about this pack is that one wand gives Guardian Spirit at 20%, which is already causing a spike in complaints among PvP wizards. Sigh...

Anyway, thanks El Veeb, for reminding me to thank KI for the new loot :)

Happy Day,

Qbb/Iridian

Hero
May 02, 2009
The gear in the packs has always scaled to those particular levels ever since the dragon's horde pack was released, so its nothing new. They may offer the same card(s), but the stats are different and are usually resonable for that 10 level bracket, which is what they scale by.

As far as mist wood goes, those kinds of common reagents are in a couple packs and not just the horde packs. It shouldn't bother you that much as you can just sell it at the bazaar like any other reagent or pet snack you don't need.

I haven't bought a pack yet (waiting until I level up to lv.80 to do so), but from what I've seen so far it seems interesting. Sadly it seems whenever a new pack comes out, people always gotta bash it, regardless of what goodness it has.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
queenlybluebean wrote:
I spent a few crowns on the new pack. I got two of the mandolin wands, 3 common pets, an excellent hat and boots for my Pyromanceress, and a grandfather clock. I got other stuff too, but it wasn't worth mentioning.

The only thing I see about this pack is that one wand gives Guardian Spirit at 20%, which is already causing a spike in complaints among PvP wizards. Sigh...

Anyway, thanks El Veeb, for reminding me to thank KI for the new loot :)

Happy Day,

Qbb/Iridian

I agree~ most of the other stuff isn't worth mentioning.

There is also a pair of boots that give a Guardian Spirit card, and gave it to my Life wiz, since my Balance has no use for it. Still hoping that one of the wands will turn up, though~ I also saw the Hydra mount this morning, and it's gorgeous! I imagine the poor rider has already been spammed with a zillion friend-requests... heh.

Happy day to you as well!

El Veeb

Explorer
Jul 18, 2009
I loved the new pack, I spent about 20,000 crowns on them the day it came out.

What I got was:

-8 Couch Potatoes
-Roughly, 50 rank 8 snacks (25 xp)
-All 3 different wands
-The Hydra Mount
-A full set of gear
-All the beastly pets
-A couple seraphs
-A ton of crablings

If you add that up, A 3 person mount would probably cost 15,000 crowns on its own, if it were up for sale. Put together all 3 wands at 5,000 crowns each? thats another 15,000 crowns, So total so far is 30,000 crowns. Add in the pet snacks, and that would equal about 10,000 crowns in Mega Packs. So that's 40,000 crowns, Add in the gear set, 2,500 crowns, So thats 42,500 crowns, Plus I just rounded all the pets I got, (which was about 30) to eh, 10,000 crowns.

So basically, I got 52,500 crowns worth of stuff for 20,000 crowns!!!!!

That's pretty good, and well "the odds were in my favor"

I love the new Hydra Packs!

and everyone should stop complaining about the guardian spirit treasure card...If KI didnt make things super powerful, nothing would be super cool!!!

@jackflame

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
skier339 wrote:
I loved the new pack, I spent about 20,000 crowns on them the day it came out.

What I got was:

-8 Couch Potatoes
-Roughly, 50 rank 8 snacks (25 xp)
-All 3 different wands
-The Hydra Mount
-A full set of gear
-All the beastly pets
-A couple seraphs
-A ton of crablings

If you add that up, A 3 person mount would probably cost 15,000 crowns on its own, if it were up for sale. Put together all 3 wands at 5,000 crowns each? thats another 15,000 crowns, So total so far is 30,000 crowns. Add in the pet snacks, and that would equal about 10,000 crowns in Mega Packs. So that's 40,000 crowns, Add in the gear set, 2,500 crowns, So thats 42,500 crowns, Plus I just rounded all the pets I got, (which was about 30) to eh, 10,000 crowns.

So basically, I got 52,500 crowns worth of stuff for 20,000 crowns!!!!!

That's pretty good, and well "the odds were in my favor"

I love the new Hydra Packs!

and everyone should stop complaining about the guardian spirit treasure card...If KI didnt make things super powerful, nothing would be super cool!!!

@jackflame

Congrats, jackflame~ sounds like you got really lucky there!

Only downside is, I was hoping that a hydra would eventually become our school-only mount (there's been a lot of talk in the dorms about stuff like that)... there goes that idea. Darkness, despair!

Oh, well,
El Veeb

Defender
May 21, 2011
I personally haven't tried because i have too little crowns, but it seems very good.

Survivor
Jan 21, 2012
I thought I would try my hand at obtaining a Hydra mount. The Hydra mount seemed like the perfect idea as I generally quest with two other friends (one being my brother irl and the other one of his friends). Seeing as though I am the only one out of the three of us that currently has any spare cash (fingers crossed my financial situation doesn't change for the worst) I was more than happy to throw some crowns down in my attempt for the mount.

Sadly, it is 70,000 crowns later and still no mount :(

I have however received a mountain sized pile of robes, boots and hats which is incredible, but I can't do anything with my 15 odd sets of each new type of clothing. It would be amazing if KI would make a system in which you could trade these items between friends yadda yadda yadda insert rant about trading items here (but I am completely wandering away from the point of this post).

I've asked a few people about how many attempts they made at getting the mount, and general consensus informs me that most people got it on their first attempt (I'm assuming this is completely false, as they probably just don't want to tell me they threw down 200,000 crowns to try and get it)

Anyway, I guess I'll have to try again next week when I have spare money again :(

Anyone else struggling to get this elusive mount?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
I finally got the mount!

Last night, I bought some crowns on sale... and promptly decided that my 30,000 free ones would be spent solely on hoard packs. I may or may not have overdone it (lol), but it was only on my 7th or 8th pack that I finally found a Hydra... Oh, happy day! My Balance wizard feels complete at last, haha.

(If you guys spot me riding around the Spiral, feel free to ask for a joyride! I'd be more than happy to take the nice people from this forum for a spin, if I can ever figure out how it works... LOL.)

I think I also have all the beast pets now...

Shadow Beast (Death)
Strange Beast (Myth)
Spark Beast (Storm)
Forest Beast (Life)
Desert Beast (Balance)
Blaze Beast (Fire)
Snow Beast (Ice)
Mythic Beast (???)

~

Lots of good stuff... only problem is, I've run out of space in my castles to put it all!

El Veeb

Survivor
Oct 30, 2011
I got the hydra mount, and I don't know how it works! I know, lame of me. How do I invite someone to ride?

Administrator
Calocagathia wrote:
I got the hydra mount, and I don't know how it works! I know, lame of me. How do I invite someone to ride?

There's a help page in the game that describes how multiplayer mounts work, young Wizard. Press Escape then click the Question Mark Tab for a lot of useful information!

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Jun 21, 2009
Thanks for the explanation Professor, one problem I've had is that when trying to explain how to ride the Hydra mount to people without text chat, there is no way to tell them how to join my group in order to ride. There's nothing in the Pet category or any other category to tell them "Join my group in order to ride."

I spent a frustrating 5 minutes or so, trying to find a way to tell a new friend to join my group. She was already in a group and I couldn't explain, given the Menu chat, that she needed to drop her group and join mine to ride the Hydra mount.

Professor Greyrose wrote:
Calocagathia wrote:

There's a help page in the game that describes how multiplayer mounts work, young Wizard. Press Escape then click the Question Mark Tab for a lot of useful information!

Survivor
Jul 20, 2009
Wow guys, seems like everyone spent a ton of crowns trying to get a hydra! I got pretty lucky and only had to spend about 4000 crowns to get one :D. I spent another 2 thousand, and here's all i got:

1 hydra mount
3 or 4 beast pets.
Bunch of awesome pet snacks :D.
And a hat.
I did get a few seraphs, but only kept one or 2.

I still have 10,000 crowns left, unsure wether to buy a storm mastery for my fire[80] or a myth one for my life [at 59]. I mean i could farm luska for a myth one [he drops it right o:?] Unless there's some other boss [hopefully not in TOTH [oh the pain and misery :(] where i can get a storm one.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
jmiser420 wrote:
Wow guys, seems like everyone spent a ton of crowns trying to get a hydra! I got pretty lucky and only had to spend about 4000 crowns to get one :D. I spent another 2 thousand, and here's all i got:

1 hydra mount
3 or 4 beast pets.
And a hat.

I still have 10,000 crowns left, unsure wether to buy a storm mastery for my fire[80] or a myth one for my life [at 59]. I mean i could farm luska for a myth one [he drops it right o:?] Unless there's some other boss [hopefully not in TOTH [oh the pain and misery :(] where i can get a storm one.

Fortunately, I didn't have to spend the entire 30K of my "fluff crowns" on hoard packs to get my mount... 7 or 8 packs, I think (about 3000 crowns). I may or may not have spent them anyway, but it was fun. :D I'm happy that I got the Mythic Beast, before it was removed from the pack. ;)

As for the mastery amulets~ my personal opinion is that it's cheating, and that I'll never buy one; it's another thing entirely, if you get one as a drop, because you /worked/ for it. I guess it's like jail, in that sense... you can either spend Crowns, or craft/farm for what you want. Pay the fine or do the time. LOL.

I think there are amulets in the ToTH, but I've heard there are some in Mirror Lake and other WW bosses as well. Good luck to you!

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
jmiser420 wrote:

1 hydra mount
3 or 4 beast pets.
And a hat.

i heard luska drops all
just saying i heard it off i think k i? when they annouced waterworks
yeah that seems right

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
vonawesome1 wrote:
Good morning, fellow wizards (though it probably won't be by the time this post clears~ LOL)!

So, I read about the new hoard pack this morning and, since I had some crowns left over, I decided to try my luck. Didn't do too badly~ the wand and mount didn't show up (darkness, despair!), but I did get a full set of gear, a family of crablings (they live in my basement), and a seraph... I collect pets, so that worked out quite nicely.

I even got 2 of those cute little beast pets... and, great galloping Storm Lords, they are ADORABLE! I totally took screenshots of them curling up by my feet, when I put them in my castle... if that's not cute to you, go join Malistaire, because you're a horrible human being with a heart of ice (just kidding). :P

*cough*
/youthful enthusiasm

Anyway... based on some of the stuff that turned up in there, I have a few questions/thoughts on the subject...

1. Though I ended up with some good stuff, I have to wonder what place mist wood (yes, I said mist wood) has in hoard packs. I don't need to spend crowns to get mist wood, so that seemed a bit lame... I'm just glad that I didn't spend a zillion crowns, the way some people probably will, and end up with mist wood. Even though it's partly their fault, those people are going to be annoyed.

2. The gear I got said it was for level 80+ only. Fine, since I got them on my archmage sorceress... but, when I was selling some stuff at the bazaar, I saw a level 40 Ice wiz wearing the exact-same gear (I actually clicked on him and confirmed that it was the same gear), except his said it was for level 40+ only...

Does it depend on which wizard buys the pack? Like, if my level 31 Life wiz bought the pack, would the gear show as for level 30+ only? I find it a little unfair, and odd, that a level 40 and level 80 would have the same stats (though I'll probably stick with my WW gear, since it still has better ones).

Anyone else have opinions to share?

(Please stay away from bashing KI, since we all know they're a business, blah blah).

El Veeb, archmage sorceress
(& crusher of hopes and dreams!)

beast pets are the new wyvern and foo dog pets
also it may have same name as your robe ( to difficult for them to program more names for the robe just cause of lvl diff so they put multiple ones of same name just edited stats)
higher is better
lower if worse

Survivor
Jul 19, 2012
You are right. The little beasts are soooo cute! :D My friend and I call them cagons. I got two life ones and a fire one. I was happy because I'm a pyromancer. They have good talents and derby powers too. My house looks a lot better with the housing items from it 8) .

Survivor
Apr 30, 2012
Even though it says the beasts are ultra-rare i think there so common. . My friend had gotten a bunch of crowns for her birthday and even though she said she was using it to buy places i begged her to give me one pack to try my luck at the beast! And i got one, they are so cute btw.

Delver
Jan 13, 2010

Srsly, same stats 40+ to lvl 80+, what, i dont get it. Doesnt that mean a lvl 40+ MIGHT be able to defeat a lvl 80+, they should have different stats whether or not they would be able to defeat a lvl 80+

Survivor
Mar 14, 2009
I spent about 1600 crowns on the hoard pack for the heck of it, to see what sort of 'odds' you get at all this stuff.

Have to say I'm pleasantly surprised, or 'the force was with me';

Hydra Mount
1 Blaze Beast
Leprechaun (2)
Seraph
Crabling (2)
lots of good snack foods, 3 25's, good half dozen 15's, and a lot of others
3 items (1 boots, 1 hat, 1 armor)
and a few seeds and treasure cards

For 4 card packs, I'm a bit surprised at the loots I got, especially the 3 person mount. If sold in store for crowns separately, I figure that's a 10000-12500 mount at very least..

Does make it easier to round up my 2 girls and take them around for some questing though... :D

Defender
May 19, 2012
What I have noticed about these packs, and not just the Hydra packs, is the level of the gear depends upon the level of the wizard making the purchases, but, the stats on the gear also vary according to the level.

So I've gotten some of the armor at different levels depending on my wizard's levels, and some of it is duplicate, but the stats on the level 30 gear is not as good as the stats on the level 50 gear, etc. Even the cards the gear gives change with the level of the gear you obtain.

Survivor
Feb 11, 2012
Ok, I really dislike the chances at getting this mount. I wish i could just buy it. I collect mounts and houses and i want the wyvern, hydra and blood raven. But the chances are ridiculous the only good thing I've achieved is getting lots of gardens and housing items, due to renovating my new house. But i really would love these mounts i just wish they would put them to sale. I don't mind buying them but eventually I will run out of ideas on how to reorganize, redecorate my homes.

Explorer
Dec 24, 2008
i love the hydra hoard pack. when i switched to my other wizard on my first try i got the hydra mount. Yay! i went riding on that thing, making people jealous.Hoard of the hydra pack rules! (then again i did try about 15 times on my balance wizard)