Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Choosing your school

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 21, 2011
I have thought about it quite a lot. No school offers anything better than any other school. Although it is true, it really depends on preference. All schools have ups and downs and some schools make better secondary schools. As for ice, if you are a selfish person, and don't care about healing others, ice is for you, but only as a first school or primary school. Since the main good thing about being an ice wizard is a lot of health and you don't get that with a secondary school. I, personally think that fire, storm and life are the best secondary schools depending on your pets and again, your preference.

Pet Influences:
Also your pet should influence the desicion of the spell card given by your pet is not from your school, if you have a pet that gives a decent school's card, then make that school your secondary school. If you don't, well my best sugestion is just to go with it or just simply get a new pet, or, if you don't already have a spell pet, get one from a decent school.

Remember, before you pick a school, primary or secondary, think about the ups and downs and what you like and what you will receive from the school.

My Personal favorites:
As I have said, I think Fore, Storm, and Life are the best secondary schools. As for a primary school, it really depends on you, but I like balance. (I am one :D) It doesn't have a lot of anything but it gives you a bit of everything. (Does that make sense to you?)

Defender
Nov 05, 2011
The idea of the schools is to give you powers from a wizard that matches your personality. For example, apparently, Balance wizards are charming from the discription and I have met several Sorcerers who are very charming.

However as a secondary school that is choice and prefference, I suggest looking through all the schools available secondary spells and choose your favorite.

Yours sincerly,

Jazzy
Balance at heart.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
IKL626 wrote:
The idea of the schools is to give you powers from a wizard that matches your personality. For example, apparently, Balance wizards are charming from the discription and I have met several Sorcerers who are very charming.

However as a secondary school that is choice and prefference, I suggest looking through all the schools available secondary spells and choose your favorite.

Yours sincerly,

Jazzy
Balance at heart.

Me, charming? Bah. I'm evil, and I'm not ashamed of it... but I have a soft spot for carnivorous bunnies!

I'm an archmage sorceress, and I loathe Balance as a primary school. It's a support class, not intended to do a boatload of damage... therefore, its base-damage is extremely-weak. As badly as I want that One In A Million badge, it's not going to happen, because Balance simply doesn't have the boosts required to get those kinds of numbers.

Honestly, I don't even bother with secondary schools. The exceptions to this rule are my Storm and Myth wizards, who can't heal and have terrible health. Both Patrick (Myth/22) and Sestiva (Storm/48) have Life as their secondary school, but neither is getting a mastery amulet until my Balance wiz manages to successfully farm for one.

@ the OP~ why the hate-on for Ice wizards? I don't think they chose their schools to be "selfish", as you say... any school can have that attitude, but it depends on the individual.

For example... I am a solo player; my deck is only big enough for one of me, meaning that I don't carry any more than what I need for myself. By your standards, I guess that makes me selfish, too.

But wait! There's more...
https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/49278.ftl

If I'm working with a group (say, on Waterworks) , I'll change my deck to suit the instance/whatever role I take... If I'm the healer, I pack Availing Hands; if I'm the tank, I tank (LOL) and, if I'm the heavy-hitter, I load up my best spells. Otherwise, I'm not obligated to look out for anyone else, especially not those who randomly join me and start demanding that I buff or heal them. I always put myself first... but, if you are polite and respectful, I have no problem helping you out as well.

/rant

El Veeb/Shadowsong
archmage sorceress, divinomancer at heart. :)

Explorer
Feb 12, 2011
@ the OP~ why the hate-on for Ice wizards? I don't think they chose their schools to be "selfish", as you say... any school can have that attitude, but it depends on the individual.

Thank you El Veeb for that comment - just about to say it myself.

Speaking as an lvl 80 Ice wizard (first and favorite school, thank you very much) you know our job in a team setting is to take the damage while everyone else sets up to hit, right? So I don't think that Ice is by nature a selfish school My ice also travels with a life amulet - and she is often the healer too (my friends all seem to be fire and storm - they love to see me join a fight, trust me)

I also would like to agree that the idea of a fixed secondary school is not necessary. My lower lvl wizards now hold on to training points so they can spend them on sun spells. I do train life, because I move my life amulet around as needed - not to mention the amulet without Satyr would just be silly.

Mastermind
Aug 10, 2011
kelseydog112 wrote:
I have thought about it quite a lot. No school offers anything better than any other school. Although it is true, it really depends on preference. All schools have ups and downs and some schools make better secondary schools. As for ice, if you are a selfish person, and don't care about healing others, ice is for you, but only as a first school or primary school. Since the main good thing about being an ice wizard is a lot of health and you don't get that with a secondary school. I, personally think that fire, storm and life are the best secondary schools depending on your pets and again, your preference.

Pet Influences:
Also your pet should influence the desicion of the spell card given by your pet is not from your school, if you have a pet that gives a decent school's card, then make that school your secondary school. If you don't, well my best sugestion is just to go with it or just simply get a new pet, or, if you don't already have a spell pet, get one from a decent school.

Remember, before you pick a school, primary or secondary, think about the ups and downs and what you like and what you will receive from the school.

My Personal favorites:
As I have said, I think fore, Storm, and Life are the best secondary schools. As for a primary school, it really depends on you, but I like balance. (I am one :D) It doesn't have a lot of anything but it gives you a bit of everything. (Does that make sense to you?)

I really don't see a point on hating ice. What did they do to you? Why do you hate Ice?

BTW, there is alot of spelling mistakes here. Apparently you think Fore is a best Secondary School. Since when did FORE become a School of Magic lol? ^^

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
I have an Archmage Balance and Ice. I have other schools, but they're much much lower than these two schools.

I love my Balance wizard, but I struggled with her throughout the game, because she's not much of a hitter. She's fantastic in a group, but as a solo player, it is difficult. I agree with vonawesome. in that Balance is better as a support class, not as a primary school.

All the schools have advantages and disadvantages. It takes practice to learn to use each one efficiently. It takes strategy to figure out what you need to get the job done.

Personally, I don't think Ice wizards are selfish. They don't have healing capabilities. Other schools do. Just because I have high health and you don't, doesn't mean it's my responsibility to keep you alive by healing you. I can provide Ice Armor. I can provide shields. I can help blade if necessary. But, I'm not a healer, and I (and other Ice wizards), aren't going to waste extra pips to provide Satyr, etc, because you can't heal or shield yourself. Ice is a tank. I always offer to go first. Since my health is currently at 5501, I can take a lot of hits. My resistance is pretty good, so those damage hits are seriously reduced.

I don't use full secondary schools. I get bits and pieces of what I need for all my wizards. Mostly the tri-blades and any extra traps I can get. Sun and some Star school spells. Reshuffle. Extra shields from the Fairgrounds trainer.