Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ice resist.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 13, 2010
Ok does anyone else agree that ice resist towards fire and storm are just plain crazy?

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Here's the thing.

Everyone keeps complaining about the resistance for Ice wizards. If there is high resistance, then the other stats are in the tank. There's no getting around it. You can't have super high resistance without sacrificing a whole lot of other necessary aspects of your wizard ..... damage boost, power pips, healing, accuracy, critical, and even critical block.

Other schools can have high resistance to fire and storm, and you can add ice resistance in there, too. It's all in the gear. You can get all-schools gear to boost the resistance. You can craft gear that has the higher resistance. But, again, other necessary stats for your wizard will go way down. I've seen other school wizards have higher resistance to fire and storm than me, and I'm an Archmage Ice.

Ice is great at DEFENSE. Shields, ice armor, high health, good resistance are all part of the package. Ice is not made for OFFENSE. Fire is. Storm is.

Should Ice wizards start complaining about the high damage hits from Fire and Storm? Or complain about Myth's minions, or earthquake, or shatter? Or complain about Life being able to heal everyone? Or complain about Death sucking the life out of you while healing themselves?

I think not. It's all part of the game. Each school has their good points and bad points. We all learn how to deal with each aspect of the different schools.

Survivor
Jul 23, 2011
Yes at 85%-80% resist to fire and storm, its getting crazy, maximum it should reach is 65% which is even way a lot ... and frankly i know this mistake is costing KI to lose some players and income... at least from myself

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
QueQueg wrote:
Here's the thing.

Everyone keeps complaining about the resistance for Ice wizards. If there is high resistance, then the other stats are in the tank. There's no getting around it. You can't have super high resistance without sacrificing a whole lot of other necessary aspects of your wizard ..... damage boost, power pips, healing, accuracy, critical, and even critical block.

Other schools can have high resistance to fire and storm, and you can add ice resistance in there, too. It's all in the gear. You can get all-schools gear to boost the resistance. You can craft gear that has the higher resistance. But, again, other necessary stats for your wizard will go way down. I've seen other school wizards have higher resistance to fire and storm than me, and I'm an Archmage Ice.

Ice is great at DEFENSE. Shields, ice armor, high health, good resistance are all part of the package. Ice is not made for OFFENSE. Fire is. Storm is.

Should Ice wizards start complaining about the high damage hits from Fire and Storm? Or complain about Myth's minions, or earthquake, or shatter? Or complain about Life being able to heal everyone? Or complain about Death sucking the life out of you while healing themselves?

I think not. It's all part of the game. Each school has their good points and bad points. We all learn how to deal with each aspect of the different schools.

higher resistance to fire and storm then ice? Oh wow that's some funny stuff. I just saw an ice with immunity to fire and storm in the arena (that means over 100% to both). Pls explain to me how you top 100% resist and which school you've seen do this. Highest I've seen is 102% fire resistance and 100% storm with craftable gear on an ICE (picture on central I
Under screenshots)

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
travisAk wrote:
QueQueg wrote:
Here's the thing.

higher resistance to fire and storm then ice? Oh wow that's some funny stuff. I just saw an ice with immunity to fire and storm in the arena (that means over 100% to both). Pls explain to me how you top 100% resist and which school you've seen do this. Highest I've seen is 102% fire resistance and 100% storm with craftable gear on an ICE (picture on central I
Under screenshots)

I would like to see a link to that because if that is the case, then there is no debate or question at all, ice has become immortal to 2 whole schools. absolutley insane. Kingsisle needs to overhaul everything now because as a diviner i will quit the game if i cannot do any damage to an ice even with piercing which isnt high enough to make a difference

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292152
Ice Immunity to Fire/Storm Thread on central

Click on thumbnail in first post. The reaction shouldn't be to quit though, everything is counterable in this game as there have been things introduced by kingsisle to do this (ex:pierce) The thing is it is just not very functional and really takes the fun out of pvp if you are fire or storm fighting an ice. Nobody should have the option of being immune to another school of magic in pvp as creates frustration. T

In my opinion I beleieve there should be some sort of resist cap that would prevent resistance from climbing so high in pvp (not main game).

Does anyone have some real, or functional strategies for fire and storm to use against an ice with over 100% resist? If so pls share to help the average person dealing with this scenario right now as I fear many have already quit the two lowest health schools directly because of this.

Realistically if the top tier fighters see this as a major issue I can only imagine what the average player is feeling.

Survivor
Aug 13, 2009
QueQueg wrote:
Here's the thing.

Everyone keeps complaining about the resistance for Ice wizards. If there is high resistance, then the other stats are in the tank.

I just wanted to explain that this is a common misconception, it's like a wizard101 urban Myth.

Ice wizards do not have to put all of their other stats in the tank to achieve massive resist. In fact, the crafted gear gives such solid block stats that I've seen some of them use a Sidhe Staff and have better accuracy/pips than they would otherwise. They do lose the block from wand, but you don't need much block when you have 85% resistance and a critical Efreet only does 500 damage to you. lol

The tradeoffs for this resist do not represent some weak point in the setup that can be exploited. It's just not true that these players are giving up great stats in exchange for resist.

I have some screen caps I'd like to share to disprove this point, if only there was any way to post them here.

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
i would just like to point out that my friend has 90 fire resist 80 sometin storm resist and for the other schools he resist is 60 something. now that to me is to much resist

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
This is insane. If that is real, then we finally may actually get an overhaul of the system or something to help with that, because that is insane. I use a levy and i see the damage come up as 0 i would be so mad. If you did not pack piercing blades, or piercing gear, then you are toast is you are fire or storm. There is no way she will lose to you if all you packed was fire and or storm spells, and she can actually kill you with her spells

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
heavyprints wrote:

I just wanted to explain that this is a common misconception, it's like a wizard101 urban Myth.

Ice wizards do not have to put all of their other stats in the tank to achieve massive resist. In fact, the crafted gear gives such solid block stats that I've seen some of them use a Sidhe Staff and have better accuracy/pips than they would otherwise. They do lose the block from wand, but you don't need much block when you have 85% resistance and a critical Efreet only does 500 damage to you. lol

The tradeoffs for this resist do not represent some weak point in the setup that can be exploited. It's just not true that these players are giving up great stats in exchange for resist.

I have some screen caps I'd like to share to disprove this point, if only there was any way to post them here.

It's a misconception that Ice will keep stats decent if they focus on super high resistance. If there is an Ice with 100% resistance to Fire and Storm, then there are some serious sacrifices that the Ice made in stats to be able to have the high resistance.

I don't have near the 100% resistance on my Ice wizard, but my other stats are pretty good for an Ice. I tried to get/craft gear that would have a good balance of what I wanted. Of course, I'm talking about PvE. Maybe I should start doing PvP to see how well I do.

travisAk wrote:

higher resistance to fire and storm then ice? Oh wow that's some funny stuff. I just saw an ice with immunity to fire and storm in the arena (that means over 100% to both). Pls explain to me how you top 100% resist and which school you've seen do this.

I'm saying that I've seen other school wizards have higher resistance to fire & storm than ME.

It's called 'crafted gear'. There are plenty of all-schools crafted gear out there that can provide a huge amount of resistance to fire & storm for ALL wizards, not just Ice.

Defender
Jun 30, 2009
QueQueg wrote:
Here's the thing.

I am sorry bro but no ice can do it all they got deffense and offense i have like 20 ice friends who all hit way higher than me and i am fire and i propse a change in blade set up with strongest blades going to the stongest and weakest going to the weakest but besides that ice is a super wizard if u need a job done call a ice friend it is pathetic how beast they are when it comes to offensive and just plain sadaning when it comes to resist

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
Zeon96 wrote:
QueQueg wrote:
Here's the thing.

I am sorry bro but no ice can do it all they got deffense and offense i have like 20 ice friends who all hit way higher than me and i am fire and i propse a change in blade set up with strongest blades going to the stongest and weakest going to the weakest but besides that ice is a super wizard if u need a job done call a ice friend it is pathetic how beast they are when it comes to offensive and just plain sadaning when it comes to resist
next time you see your ice friends ask them if they have colossal and check there damage boost then compare it to yours becuase buddy i can gaurentee you they have colossal and they have better damage boost then you do(probaly ww gear

Survivor
Oct 08, 2011
as a fire wizard i feel ice is becoming op with 70 and 80 resist to fire and storm. i tried using converts, they did a lot more compared to my regular fire attacks. but fire wizards and storm wizards cant always be using converts on ice. plus ice's gear is way op. fire's new gear only gives about 60% attack and 21% resist to all schools and fifty resist to ice. our waterworks gear is better than that.
i feel if ices resist is going to raise then fire and storms attack must raise.

Survivor
Apr 04, 2010
iChar000 wrote:
Yes at 85%-80% resist to fire and storm, its getting crazy, maximum it should reach is 65% which is even way a lot ... and frankly i know this mistake is costing KI to lose some players and income... at least from myself
the thing is though, with 80-85%fire/storm resist(which i have never had, and i'm a level 74 ice)Ice would have to figure out how to deal with limits of:
Damage(up to probably -50% of previous damge points)
Critical(its already hard enough for us to get it without waterworks gear, take away our critical and we're powerless)
Critical Block(one of the most crucial things in Celestia, Zafaria, and Avalon)
Health(and Ice is also supposed to have that!)
Mana(remember being a lower level and having to refill your mana every half hour? We dont want to put up with that each time we play)
Incoming/Outgoing life(even though we have high life,and resist, a few good hits can leave us with small life. And, since we cant heal frequently, we have to make the most of each little sprite, pixie or satyr)
See? If an ice has that much resist, its likely that their other stats are trashed. Think of that next time, before you complain again.

Survivor
Oct 08, 2011
hermionejeangrange... wrote:
iChar000 wrote:
the thing is though, with 80-85%fire/storm resist(which i have never had, and i'm a level 74 ice)Ice would have to figure out how to deal with limits of:
Damage(up to probably -50% of previous damge points)
Critical(its already hard enough for us to get it without waterworks gear, take away our critical and we're powerless)
Critical Block(one of the most crucial things in Celestia, Zafaria, and Avalon)
Health(and Ice is also supposed to have that!)
Mana(remember being a lower level and having to refill your mana every half hour? We dont want to put up with that each time we play)
Incoming/Outgoing life(even though we have high life,and resist, a few good hits can leave us with small life. And, since we cant heal frequently, we have to
make the most of each little sprite, pixie or satyr)
See? If an ice has that much resist, its likely that their other stats are trashed.
Think of that next time, before you complain again.

Resist is basically all you need to make someone flee in pvp . And nowadays
All ice wizards have life mastery amulet. All an ice needs to do against a fire wizard is just wait till they get full pips then satyr. Then mammoth with 7 blades and kill us. And it won't matter much if we have a 70% shield. And as far as I'm concerned I haven't seen many fire or storm wizards carry prisms

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
Yes, us pyromancers cannot beat 80% fire resist. And no, not gonna bother with resist. And on like all the other schools, 40 resist. Yes, ice is supposed to be good at resist but...this is just overboard. And you never know when your fighting a ice so ice resistance gear and converts are out of the question.

Jasmine FireBlade, lvl 76 pyromancer
Jessica SparkleGem, lvl 70 thaumaturge

Defender
Jul 10, 2011
I've seen a Ice dude resist 100% fire 92% storm 67% Ice (yes i remebered the numbers)

Wolf SilverSpear ~ Master Pyro

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
QueQueg wrote:

I'm saying that I've seen other school wizards have higher resistance to fire & storm than ME.

It's called 'crafted gear'. There are plenty of all-schools crafted gear out there that can provide a huge amount of resistance to fire & storm for ALL wizards, not just Ice.

The difference is Ice can retain 43% universal resist to all other schools while maintaining 100% fire and storm resist, making it a viable option.

For other schools to obtain school specific immunity would mean dropping WW gear and also trading specific resist for universal which would never happen so your point is invalid. Even if another school had the option of immunity that would also be broken as one player not being able to damage the other without tricks (converts, ect) does not function in a turn based arena, we all learned this I the past when school specific resist gear could make you immune to one school with no universal resist.... That was broken, this.. This feels more like a bad dream or sick joke to people that care about the game. I have a high level Ice btw..

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
To put it flatly ice is over powered. They can have this ridiculously high resistance and not have to sacrifice their other stats. For all those people out there stating ice must lose other stats to gain a nice resistance you are wrong. I have seen warlords and I have an ice friend. With the new Avalon crafted gear ice just gains everything from critical, block, resistance,health,etc. I didn't check if the accuracy changed but that isn't a huge deal. So yea my point.

Survivor
Jun 30, 2009
Guys, ice is becoming overpowered, there is just no way around it. I mean immunity to 2 schools is just insane, plus 60 resist to all? Come on guys. And I want to point out the gear that they get can give them a ton of attack, as one of the hats that give storm and fire resist comes with an elemental blade card, and you can get the ice blade necklace, and the ice blade wand. Come on guys, this is seriously getting out of hand.

Survivor
Jun 16, 2009
spyda007 wrote:
Ok does anyone else agree that ice resist towards fire and storm are just plain crazy?

Nah your not right Ice is not overpowered in resist cuz like you see max ice damage is about 40 with the best gear. And with the WW clothes every school get minimum 25% resist. And what we Ice to say when we all have seen storm with 100+ damage? I think storm is overpowered. And have you asked why we get Ice Armor, Legion Shields, Tower Shield, Frozen Armor, etc.? Um this is because we are good at DEFENSE. Storm get Supercharge thats 10% dmg per pip -- means 140% will full power and with their min. 80 damage is incredibly overpowered! Now to fire the got the new trap (Backdraft) which is 15% per pip -- means 210% dmg and they have nearly 60% dmg so its overpowered too.
Next Life they got the Guardian Spirit which revive them when die and have a lot of healing spells. Myth no comment - Shatter, Pierce, Earthquake - Minions!
Death health-stealing and infection... Balance Mana Burn, Super Nova... So see ice is not overpowered when you see what other schools has.

Survivor
Jun 30, 2009
hakera101 wrote:
spyda007 wrote:

Nah your not right Ice is not overpowered in resist cuz like you see max ice damage is about 40 with the best gear. And with the WW clothes every school get minimum 25% resist. And what we Ice to say when we all have seen storm with 100+ damage? I think storm is overpowered. And have you asked why we get Ice Armor, Legion Shields, Tower Shield, Frozen Armor, etc.? Um this is because we are good at DEFENSE. Storm get Supercharge thats 10% dmg per pip -- means 140% will full power and with their min. 80 damage is incredibly overpowered! Now to fire the got the new trap (Backdraft) which is 15% per pip -- means 210% dmg and they have nearly 60% dmg so its overpowered too.
Next Life they got the Guardian Spirit which revive them when die and have a lot of healing spells. Myth no comment - Shatter, Pierce, Earthquake - Minions!
Death health-stealing and infection... Balance Mana Burn, Super Nova... So see ice is not overpowered when you see what other schools has.

Hey, NONE of that if half as bad as immunity for 2 schools. The only type that stands a fighting chance against ice now is myth. If you have 100 percent resist by the way, that means you can't be hurt by that ty

Survivor
Oct 08, 2011
hakera101 wrote:
spyda007 wrote:

Death health-stealing and infection... Balance Mana Burn, Super Nova... So see
ice is not overpowered when you see what other schools has.

Storm and fire have pip buffs, yes but have you ever considered our pip rating and how much time it would take to build up 210% and 140%. Storm isn't overpowered you just need to time your shields and attacks correctly plus their health is so low now days. Fire OP! Fire is a normal and easy school to beat they have ok resist and normal attack 60% attack is normal. Balance they only have 2 blades to use each 20%, some of us just tower shield and some others weakness.
Now ice wizards have snow angel which is pretty strong when you enchant it and have 7 blades and their resist is 53% plus and their fire storm resist is 90%, 75% respectively. Plus their health is 5000 plus so you have no reason to call fire, storm and balance op

Delver
Oct 08, 2010
spyda007 wrote:

Its supposed to be or it wouldnt be fair to ice.

Survivor
May 22, 2010
Hello,

The ice resist is super huge now pvp it's mostly a completely waste. You do 1v1 you're most likely vs Ice, 2v2 vs Ice, 3v3 vs Ice, and 4v4 vs Ice. Now every team has an Ice Wizard.

I am an Archmage Storm and I hit the other 2,000 with storm lord and in Ice I hit 500... Now hos is that Fair?
Storm has low health, low power pip chance and low accuracy. The only thing they have good is damage. But they have fixed that too... Sirens used to be better but they complained and with wild bolt too. They should raise a little bit the health or power pip chance; not accuracy because it is good how it is.

What can I do as a Storm Archmage to defeat Ice Wizards?