Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ice or Balance

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Dec 11, 2011
Since you can only have 6 wizards and there are 7 schools, I would like to know the best out of each:

Ice: Good: Resist, Health, Tower Shield
Bad: Weak attack (cant think of others)

Balance: Good: Blades, 2 heals, power pips, shields, Spectral Blast
Bad: Medium everything (resist, health, etc)

If you can think of others, add on!

I hope i can add my final wizard and work on him through the summer :D

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Both my Balance and Ice are Archmage (level 80) wizards.

Balance was my first wizard. When I struggled to learn the game, I also struggled with her. However, I've learned that to be a good Balance wizard, it takes more practice than other schools.

Advantages: Blades, shields, great healing. A Balance wiz is great on a team because they can do everything. Once you get to higher levels, things start to look up in getting better damage boosts. Spectral Blast and Chimera are awesome spells. Great combinations with blades & traps.

Disadvantages: Low to medium damage with basic balance spells, like Sandstorm, Nova, and Ra. Hydra isn't that great, until you do a bit of buffing. Basically, Balance blades and traps are very weak compared to other schools. The Hex, Tri-blade and Tri-trap cost one pip to use (or 2 pips if all you have are power-pips).

The Waterworks hat and robe work the best throughout the game. The Boots of Avalon are best when you get to level 74+ (I think that's what level they are to use). Any other outfits, including crafted clothing, just don't give a Balance wizard the advantage they need to make it through the game. Keep mixing and matching clothing and other equipment to get the best results.

Rowan Dragonstrider: Balance (Level 80)

Health: 4469
Mana: around 600
Damage: 70%
Resistence: 27 (or 28 ) across the board
Healing In: 39%
Power Pip: 87%
Critical: 130
Critical Block: 157 (or 187) across the board.
Accuracy: 85 base + 8% boost

Ice is my second wizard to reach Level 80. I had learned a lot with my Balance wizard, so my Ice made it through the game easily.

Advantages: High health. The possibility of super high resistance. Tower shield, stun & stun block, taunt (drawing enemy fire so others can hit hard). Great for soloing the game. You rarely need shields, especially at higher levels. Lots of blades & traps to stack for some great damage attacks.

Disadvantages: Low attack damage base, especially at lower levels. Higher fizzle rate than Balance.

I gotta say, I love my Ice wizard more and more. She has soloed every single boss in the game. Around level 68+, the Waterworks gear just doesn't work as well any more. The Wintertusk crafted gear (before or while your farming WW gear) is very good. Once you get to Celestia, some of the crafted and drop gear is good. During Zafaria and on up, crafted gear is the way to go with Ice. You lose a little bit of damage boost, but the other advantages make up for it. Accuracy, resistance, healing boost, critical block goes way up.

Brynn Iceblade (level 80)

Health: 5501 (could be higher if I can get my Ice ring drops)
Mana: 546
Damage: 38%
Resistance: 61% (Fire), 57% (Storm), 27% for the rest of the schools
Healing In: 15%
Critical: 137% (or 147%, I forgot which)
Critical Block: 181 (Storm), 157 for the other schools
Accuracy: 80% base + 21% boost (no fizzles!)

Hope this helps! :)

Mastermind
Dec 11, 2011
QueQueg wrote:
Both my Balance and Ice are Archmage (level 80) wizards.

Balance was my first wizard. When I struggled to learn the game, I also struggled with her. However, I've learned that to be a good Balance wizard, it takes more practice than other schools.

Advantages: Blades, shields, great healing. A Balance wiz is great on a team because they can do everything. Once you get to higher levels, things start to look up in getting better damage boosts. Spectral Blast and Chimera are awesome spells. Great combinations with blades & traps.

Disadvantages: Low to medium damage with basic balance spells, like Sandstorm, Nova, and Ra. Hydra isn't that great, until you do a bit of buffing. Basically, Balance blades and traps are very weak compared to other schools. The Hex, Tri-blade and Tri-trap cost one pip to use (or 2 pips if all you have are power-pips).

The Waterworks hat and robe work the best throughout the game. The Boots of Avalon are best when you get to level 74+ (I think that's what level they are to use). Any other outfits, including crafted clothing, just don't give a Balance wizard the advantage they need to make it through the game. Keep mixing and matching clothing and other equipment to get the best results.

Rowan Dragonstrider: Balance (Level 80)

Health: 4469
Mana: around 600
Damage: 70%
Resistence: 27 (or 28) across the board
Healing In: 39%
Critical: 130
Critical Block: 157 (or 187) across the board.
Accuracy: 85 base + 8% boost

Ice is my second wizard to reach Level 80. I had learned a lot with my Balance wizard, so my Ice made it through the game easily.

Advantages: High health. The possibility of super high resistance. Tower shield, stun & stun block, taunt (drawing enemy fire so others can hit hard). Great for soloing the game. You rarely need shields, especially at higher levels. Lots of blades & traps to stack for some great damage attacks.

Disadvantages: Low attack damage base, especially at lower levels. Higher fizzle rate than Balance.

I gotta say, I love my Ice wizard more and more. She has soloed every single boss in the game. Around level 68+, the Waterworks gear just doesn't work as well any more. The Wintertusk crafted gear (before or while your farming WW gear) is very good. Once you get to Celestia, some of the crafted and drop gear is good. During Zafaria and on up, crafted gear is the way to go with Ice. You lose a little bit of damage boost, but the other advantages make up for it. Accuracy, resistance, healing boost, critical block goes way up.

Brynn Iceblade (level 80)

Health: 5501 (could be higher if I can get my Ice ring drops)
Mana: 546
Damage: 38%
Resistance: 61% (Fire), 57% (Storm), 27% for the rest of the schools
Healing In: 15%
Critical: 137% (or 147%, I forgot which)
Critical Block: 181 (Storm), 157 for the other schools
Accuracy: 80% base + 21% boost (no fizzles!)

Hope this helps! :)

Thank you for the wondful statistics, but thats not exactly the question.

I am asking which school. Ice or Balance. From those stats, which do you think is better?

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
gtafreak101 wrote:

Thank you for the wondful statistics, but thats not exactly the question.

I am asking which school. Ice or Balance. From those stats, which do you think is better?

He kind of gave you a way to figure it out for yourself.
I prefer Ice over Balance. I have soloed almost everything with my Ice wizards. You ultimately have to decide for yourself. Use the stats that have been given you and make the call. The easiest thing to do is create one or the other. If you don't like them, delete and try the other. :)
Have fun!

Survivor
Sep 05, 2011
I like balance better.Yes,ice has better health but it is weak.Ice doesn't even get a blade till level thirty something!I HAD an ice wiz and deleted him at level 16.I have been soloing on balance where as on ice i needed help on regular mobs.USE BALANCE!

BALANCE wizard level 59 (i want waterworks!)