Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Quest Arrow Confusion

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
***Update***
#1 will be changing later this week:
If you are using Quest Arrow to track a main storyline quest and accept another main storyline quest - the Quest Arrow should switch to the newly accepted quest.

Um well it's kind of the end of the week.. and it still hasn't changed yet. This has been extremely annoying.

Delver
Feb 28, 2012
Maybe you can put in options for the quest arrow? Something like:

1. Most recent
2. Least recent
3. Most pertinent to main story
4. Side quests: a. Closest, b. Furthest, c. Quest helper not allowed (quest arrow disabled, of course!)
5. Eeny meeny miny mo (random choosing)

Right now everybody seems stuck with 6. Press "q" pick a quest, because the quest helper is not helping the way we want it to!

Explorer
Dec 10, 2009
Professor Greyrose wrote:
***Update***
#1 will be changing later this week:
If you are using Quest Arrow to track a main storyline quest and accept another main storyline quest - the Quest Arrow should switch to the newly accepted quest.

thanks i really needed this to happen! it was so time consuming to have to look for the new quest in my spell book. and bringing up my spellbook tends to make my computer lag a bit.

Explorer
Jul 31, 2011
My daughter and I have noticed the quest helper is completely messed up now. Honestly, I am from the thinking, if it is not broken, do not fix it... prior to the change it was fine. Yes, sometimes you had to enter your quest pages to pick the quest you wanted to work on, but it was fine, easy for newbies, fine for us as veterans. It always seemed to default to the main story line quest as accepted.

Now that we are working on newly created wizards since our originals maxed out we see a frustrating issue.

Now every single time we get a new quest, be it a side or a main, the quest helper/arrow always goes back to tower of Helephant (for me) and for my daughter it brings up the Warehouse in MB. (We are the same level and have accepted all of the same quests at the sale time) It makes no sense at all, is frustrating but also mind boggling why it would be programmed to do that..... defaulting to different quests for us and not staying within the story line that we are currently working. (The only sitting quests we have are Waterworks, Tower Of The Helephant and Warehouse, none of which are mandatory, so common sense would make main story line quests we accept defaulted to current (arrow) quest, not those)

Not sure it will ever be fixed but I can see this causing huge confusions for newer users or those not paying attention. I guess it is just a pain to have to continually go into my book and quest pages and re-choose the quest we just accepted.

Hope KI can correct this, because it really seems to be working incorrectly.

Defender
Mar 13, 2011
jennm2203 wrote:
Honestly, I am from the thinking, if it is not broken, do not fix it... prior to the change it was fine. Yes, sometimes you had to enter your quest pages to pick the quest you wanted to work on, but it was fine, easy for newbies, fine for us as veterans. It always seemed to default to the main story line quest as accepted.

Now that we are working on newly created wizards since our originals maxed out we see a frustrating issue.

amen

Explorer
Feb 07, 2010
Dam3991 wrote:
Oh please give KI a break......... Have you not heard of Gremlins before. They will get all fixed as soon as possible.

The problem I have been having is I am in the Wyrd in avalon and everytime I accept a side quest it goes to the uncomplete quest in Pigswick and I have to go back and choose the quest I want to get my tracking arrow back to where it needs to be. Have a great weekend and just chill out.

Same with me. It's this quest I really wanna finish, but it's too hard!

Explorer
Feb 22, 2011
Could you please make the quest arrow while in an instance to prioritize in that instance? It is a tad difficult in some place like Waterworks for the quest arrow to change to another area after completing a quest, such as you pull one lever.

Thank you!

Defender
May 15, 2010
I agree with the Raven Lady. My ice is trying to quest in grizzleheim and it is annoying switching the quests every time I get a new spell.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
RavenLady777 wrote:
I would like KI employees to go into the game and play with the quest arrow update. It's obvious no one has.
Go into any dungeon. And try to think like a new player.
You will get the quest arrow for the boss only.
All quests leading up to that boss do not track unless you figure out how to do it manually.

This is not an acceptable or even logical change to this system.

If you want people to not "lose" main quests, color code them, use a star or something else that has been suggested here many times over. This does not work.

I agree with this totally - just so you know my carpal tunnel is screaming now that I have to do 2-3 extra clicks to stay on track, play the game for an hour or so and count the extra clicks now - ouch.

Yesterday I went to Wysteria with my balance wizard - most of the quest givers give you 1-2 quests at a time and not once did the quest arrow point to any quests in this world. After I took quests it always wanted me to go to Krock Land. The only time I save clicks is if the quest I do set it on has stages or parts to complete then it stays with me - other wise it's hunt and peck though the quest book.

I now use Q to access the quests after each one taken but still if I have more then one page in there it's more clicking. I am getting so sick of my husband getting lost with it, he had a hard enough time staying on track when it was the other way - now forget about it, I am constantly saying you have to press Q and find the quest you just took, which by the way he never listens to.

If this is what I have to live with now please just explain to me how to use it more efficiently - am I only suppose to have only one quest in my book at a time - if so I won't take on any side worlds until I finish main ones then decline last world quests until I finish the side world ones? All I know is I have been working on this since the change and I can not find a happy medium no matter what I try.

Survivor
Jul 28, 2011
Thanks, Please take your time with fixing this...It's really annoying to have to switch the quest helper every time you receive a quest, but I'm sure everyone will be patient, now knowing KI is working on it. I was just about to ask this on here, until I thought of looking to see If there was already an answer. Thanks again for helping to make the game, a much better experience!

Defender
May 19, 2012
I just finished Dragonspyre, and after almost every single quest update, I had to go into my quests to re-select the quest I was working on, because it kept reverting to a quest I haven't finished in Grizzleheim. I would really like to see it set up so that the quest helper only points to quests in the world you are currently working on, unless the quest in that world is pointing you to another world.

I reiterate again, I don't want the quest helper reverting to main story line quests every time I get a quest update from a side quest. If I am working on a side quest, and I turn in one part and accept the next part, I want the quest helper to automatically point to the update on the side quest and not to a main story line quest.

RavenLady777's suggestion to color code the quests for main story line quests, side quests, crafting quests, etc, is an excellent idea and people are not going to lose their main quests if this was done. Just please, fix the quest arrow so that it automatically changes to your new updates on the current quest line you are working on, whether it be a side quest or a main quest either one.

When you are in a dungeon, the quest arrow should point to whatever quest you are working on in that dungeon, and not to a quest outside the dungeon. This is much the same as being on a different world, and should work the same way. Thank you!

Explorer
Jan 06, 2009
Mine is still switching. Every time I accept a new quest, main or side, it switches to a random side quest.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
CandyGirl120 wrote:
Thanks, Please take your time with fixing this...It's really annoying to have to switch the quest helper every time you receive a quest, but I'm sure everyone will be patient, now knowing KI is working on it. I was just about to ask this on here, until I thought of looking to see If there was already an answer. Thanks again for helping to make the game, a much better experience!

Um, KI is not working on this at all. The "fix" that they did has already been done and did nothing to help the game function like it did. All side quests are ignored.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
RavenLady777 wrote:
CandyGirl120 wrote:

Um, KI is not working on this at all. The "fix" that they did has already been done and did nothing to help the game function like it did. All side quests are ignored.

It hasn't been fixed yet. The quest arrow is not working as described here:

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/49928.ftl

According to the update notes, only the quests in Wizard City and Krokotopia are working as intended.

"For Wizard City and some areas of Krokotopia, if you are currently working on a Main Quest and accept a side quest, Quest Helper will continue to point you along on the Main Quest, instead of switching to the side quest."

https://www.wizard101.com/game/update-notes/may2012

The quest arrow was suppose to be fixed a week ago (as indicated in the forums), but I assume the fix got delayed.

Survivor
Jun 27, 2011
I think KI should change the arrow back to the way it used to be. If I accept a new quest main or side it's because I plan on doing it, and I don't mean in a week I mean right when I accept it. If I don't want to do it I just don't accept it.

I have no idea how new wizards are dealing with this change I've been playing for almost a year and it took me more than a week to remember about changing my quest arrow. It's very confusing and annoying.

Survivor
Sep 19, 2011
Still having this problem. So I guess it hasnt been fixed yet?
Please fix it KI.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
* Quest Helper will now differentiate between different goals in a quest. If a quest has some goals that allow Quest Helper, and some goals that do not, Quest Helper will act accordingly based on the goal you choose

* For Wizard City and some areas of Krokotopia, if you are currently working on a Main Quest and accept a side quest, Quest Helper will continue to point you along on the Main Quest, instead of switching to the side quest.

Thank you for pointing this out - apparently it is only suppose to effect the first 2 worlds you quest in and from there on it goes back to normal?

I am still not sure this won't cause major confusion for new players and when I make new wizards it will be good to know that once I get past there my quest arrow will start to work with me again.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
brwac wrote:

Thank you for pointing this out - apparently it is only suppose to effect the first 2 worlds you quest in and from there on it goes back to normal?

How in the world does that makes sense? Geez, let's just confuse everyone. *sigh*

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
brwac wrote:

The fix is on the test realm now, should be sent to live in the coming days.

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
kingurz wrote:
brwac wrote:

Still having problems with the quest arrow, after the June Updates. Played on two different wizards. Was working on a Main Quest. Accepted a Side Quest. The quest arrow switched to the side quest, instead of staying on the main quest. Both problems were in Wysteria. Sent two e-mails to support@wizard101.com with details on the quests.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Honeybee313 wrote:
kingurz wrote:
brwac wrote:

Still having problems with the quest arrow, after the June Updates. Played on two different wizards. Was working on a Main Quest. Accepted a Side Quest. The quest arrow switched to the side quest, instead of staying on the main quest. Both problems were in Wysteria. Sent two e-mails to support@wizard101.com with details on the quests.

I noticed that too. Seems not all the quests (maybe the majority?) are still not fixed after two live pushes and a session on test. I think KI needs the exterminator for this bug.

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
Found more quest arrow problems today in Grizzleheim and in Marleybone. Working on a Main Quest. Accepted a Side Quest. The quest arrow switched to the side quest instead of staying on the main quest as it should. Reported both problems.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Personally I am really starting to miss the old quest arrow. New way and then new and improved way I am still in my quest book sorting out way to much. I am lucky to know all of wizard city so just didn't use it there, toward the end of Krockotopia I get a little fuzzy on where to go and it was very annoying to take quest, open book, select quest just taken, proceed on - ugh.

Maybe I am one of the few that takes a main quest and then along the way pick up sides, which I prefer to complete before I go back to the main quest? In the end do I have to relearn how to play the game so the quest arrow works with me?

I think people who do take main and side quests if it only stays on main ones are going to end up with their quest books full in no time. How many new players even visit the quest book?

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
Still continuing to find quest arrow problems. Found three new ones again today in Zafaria, Marleybone, and Cyclops Lane.

Working on a Main Quest. Accepted a Side Quest. The quest arrow switched to the Side Quest, instead of staying on the Main Quest.

Reported all three problems to support.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
brwac wrote:
Personally I am really starting to miss the old quest arrow. New way and then new and improved way I am still in my quest book sorting out way to much. I am lucky to know all of wizard city so just didn't use it there, toward the end of Krockotopia I get a little fuzzy on where to go and it was very annoying to take quest, open book, select quest just taken, proceed on - ugh.

Maybe I am one of the few that takes a main quest and then along the way pick up sides, which I prefer to complete before I go back to the main quest? In the end do I have to relearn how to play the game so the quest arrow works with me?

I think people who do take main and side quests if it only stays on main ones are going to end up with their quest books full in no time. How many new players even visit the quest book?

I don't think you're one of the few who takes on side quests. I do the same, more in some worlds than others, but isn't that why the side quests are there? To do them?

And although the quest arrow is working better, it's still not 'right.'

As for it remaining on the main quest, I still say no. As you stated, how many new wizards are going to know what to do? *sigh*

Sadly I guess we're stuck with the 'new and improved' quest arrow.