Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Quest Arrow Confusion

AuthorMessage
Administrator
***Update***
#1 will be changing later this week:
If you are using Quest Arrow to track a main storyline quest and accept another main storyline quest - the Quest Arrow should switch to the newly accepted quest.

We've seen a few players indicating that the Quest Arrow seems to be acting up, and selecting a quest to follow at random.

We're looking at what changed, and fixing this, but until then, please be patient with us.

How it should work is as follows:

1) If you are using Quest Arrow to track a main storyline quest and accept another main storyline quest - the Quest Arrow should not switch to the newly accepted quest.
2) If you are using Quest Arrow to track a main storyline quest and accept a side quest - the Quest Arrow should not switch to the newly accepted side quest
3) If you are using Quest Arrow to track a side quest and accept a main storyline quest - Quest Arrow will switch to point in the direction of the main storyline quest.
4) If you are using Quest Arrow to track a side quest and accept another side quest - Quest Arrow will switch to point in the direction of the newly accepted side quest.

community@wizard101.com
Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
Professor Greyrose wrote:
We've seen a few players indicating that the Quest Arrow seems to be acting up, and selecting a quest to follow at random.

We're looking at what changed, and fixing this, but until then, please be patient with us.

1) If you are using Quest Arrow to track a main storyline quest and accept another main storyline quest - the Quest Arrow should not switch to the newly accepted quest.
2) If you are using Quest Arrow to track a main storyline quest and accept a side quest - the Quest Arrow should not switch to the newly accepted side quest
3) If you are using Quest Arrow to track a side quest and accept a main storyline quest - Quest Arrow will switch to point in the direction of the main storyline quest.
4) If you are using Quest Arrow to track a side quest and accept another side quest - Quest Arrow will switch to point in the direction of the newly accepted side quest.

Now I'm really confused.

I don't understand the logic in #1 above. Was it a typing error?

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
Archon
Oct 24, 2010

No offense, but this makes no sense whatsoever. If I accept a new quest, main storyline or not, the quest arrow should switch to the new quest, as it did in the past. There are many, many new wizards who will be thoroughly confused by this. To me it's a frustration.
Example: I accepted a school quest. Did the quest arrow switch? No. Seriously?
Please change this back.

Defender
May 30, 2010
i was in the world of zfaria and when i ever i got a main quest from koto in drum jungle it changed to another minor side quest so i had to change it back so i can see how far i had to go and where to go please fix, i found this on balance person lvl 72

Defender
Jun 23, 2011
Defender
Jun 23, 2011
Survivor
Oct 07, 2010
Oh please give KI a break......... Have you not heard of Gremlins before. They will get all fixed as soon as possible.

The problem I have been having is I am in the Wyrd in avalon and everytime I accept a side quest it goes to the uncomplete quest in Pigswick and I have to go back and choose the quest I want to get my tracking arrow back to where it needs to be. Have a great weekend and just chill out.

Survivor
Feb 19, 2011
Thank you for the update. My arrow is just not working. If I complete a quest, it goes back to hele tower, which I still haven't finished. If I receive a new quest of any kind, it does not switch. If I get another new quest, having just received one, any story line, does not switch. If I have a quest selected, arrow indicates distance but does not point in any direction except the one I am going, lol. I can tell if I'm getting closer by the distance number going up or down.

Couple of days ago had same problem, was able to close out game, come back and it worked for awhile. Didn't help if I just changed characters. Today, it's just stuck except for the distance.

In any case, changing or not, does not seem to be working like it used to work, which while I never thought much about it, was predictable.

Thanks for you time.

Survivor
Feb 02, 2009
Maybe it is just me, (have not played since just after Zafaria was released until just a couple days ago) but this doesn't seem to be the case for me. While I am tracking the main questline in Celestia (so I can get access to Zafaria) and I complete it and move along to the next quest, it randomly picks a quest to track. I have been having to go in after each time I turn in a quest and/or accept a new quest to make sure the main questline is still being tracked; and most of the time it is not. Thus I have to manually fix this every few minutes :(

On a side note, I am still having issues with my raven mount flying too high, it flies at the top of my screen (they were suppose to be looking into fixing it before I stopped playing and not quite sure where to post on this to see what is going on with it. It has not been fixed and they sent me the response saying they would have to look into lowering it but that too has been quite a few months ago :(....any help and sorry this part is not really related)

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
The quest arrow kept changing to the Crab Alley quest for my life wizard every time she accepted another quest. It bothered me enough that I had her finish the place so I would no longer have to keep looking at it.

So again, a big Thank You to KI.

Historian
Jun 14, 2009
I think I am confused by #1 as well. If I accept a main storyline quest, it won't change to the new main storyline quest that was accepted? This doesn't make sense to me. How will I know where to go, unless it's one of those were you can't use the quest arrow? Than that would make sense.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
I understand the logic behind not switching to side quests automatically (to keep you focused on the main quest), but why won't the Main Quests switch to the one your working on? I agree with the others, Rule #1 doesn't make sense. Seems if you complete one main quest requirement, it should automatically give you the quest arrow for the next main quest requirement.

Also, I thought there was only one string of Main quests so how can you switch to another main quest?? Was that a typo?

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
The current quest arrow issue also includes the the added "complete" at the begining of most quest titles. I'm pretty sure the now newly renamed "Complete White Hart in The Wyrd" is a glitch, since that doesn't make sense. Numerous quests have had this renaming effect.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
I would like KI employees to go into the game and play with the quest arrow update. It's obvious no one has.
Go into any dungeon. And try to think like a new player.
You will get the quest arrow for the boss only.
All quests leading up to that boss do not track unless you figure out how to do it manually.

This is not an acceptable or even logical change to this system.

If you want people to not "lose" main quests, color code them, use a star or something else that has been suggested here many times over. This does not work.

Defender
May 19, 2012
When I am questing and working on a quest line, side or main, either one...I want the arrow to remain on the quest line I'm working on. I don't want it switching to a new quest line, period, unless I actually go into my quest journal and change it myself, or finish a quest line. I noticed that every time I am working on a side quest, when I move onto the next step of that quest line, it keeps popping back over to a main story quest line. This is extremely annoying, as it means I have to keep popping into my quest journal to manually change it back to the quest line I'm working on.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Oh noes, confused quest-helper is confused!

This has been happening to my Storm wiz lately. She's in DS and, every time she turns in part of a main quest, the arrow defaults back to the incomplete one in Grizzleheim... Good to know it's being looked at, though. For a minute there, I thought I was the confused one. :P

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
fiziali wrote:
When I am questing and working on a quest line, side or main, either one...I want the arrow to remain on the quest line I'm working on. I don't want it switching to a new quest line, period, unless I actually go into my quest journal and change it myself, or finish a quest line. I noticed that every time I am working on a side quest, when I move onto the next step of that quest line, it keeps popping back over to a main story quest line. This is extremely annoying, as it means I have to keep popping into my quest journal to manually change it back to the quest line I'm working on.

*nods* Exactly what I've been talking about.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
While the update will help, it still does not fix the problem. You have posts here stating that they had to finish Crab Alley... not a main quest just get the quest arrow to stop defaulting back to it.
Just put the quest arrow back the way it was; it worked and actually helped. As they say, "if it isn't broken, don't fix it." :)

Explorer
Jun 09, 2010
I hope this is something that is getting fixed soon as it's very annoying. It was not fixed as of this morning.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
I am not quite sure what the purpose of the change is? I do know that now I spend a lot of time saying "hold on I have to fix my quest arrow" to my friends while I open the book and switch to the quest I am on. I save some time knowing from previous wizards where things are but some times it's just nice having the arrow along the way. I can't imagine how new wizards are going to deal with it. When working on two worlds it gets even stickier, aka Westyria, Grizzlehiem, Wintertusk. Currently I am working in Celestia and my quest arrow keeps going back to where I left off in Wintertusk.

I preferred the quest tracker the way it was, it kept up with the quest I was currently doing be it main quest line or a side. I tend to walk though areas on main quests and find side ones and take them - complete them and then return to the main quest line - rather then pass them by and forget to do them. I do all main and side quests though DragonSpry. I get selective in Celestia, Wintertusk and Zafaria and don't plan on doing Avalon at all. When available, I also stack quests so I do probably check my book more then most but now it's constant.

I guess in the end it would be handy to know why the change and how to work with it? Is the plan to make it so wizards stick to the main quests and build up sides in their book? If people start declining main story line quests to avoid arrow confusion it may become an issue of them being lost when they do want to pick it back up - a lot of wizards don't use their map to keep track of areas either.

Explorer
Mar 06, 2010
Is it really that hard to just go to quests and click on the one you want? You can press the Q button if you want to do quickly, I don't really see why this is such a big problem.

Survivor
Jul 08, 2009
***Update***
#1 will be changing later this week:
If you are using Quest Arrow to track a main storyline quest and accept another main storyline quest - the Quest Arrow should switch to the newly accepted quest.

2) If you are using Quest Arrow to track a main storyline quest and accept a side quest - the Quest Arrow should not switch to the newly accepted side quest3) If you are using Quest Arrow to track a side quest and accept a main storyline quest - Quest Arrow will switch to point in the direction of the main storyline quest.

See, i want it to switch to a side quest. Because when i am doing side quests i always finish it and get the next side quest in that one quests storyline, it always points to main quest. I liked how it used to be. its really annoying to try to find the side quest i was doing and re-track it. PLEASE put it back to how it used to be.

Explorer
Jun 09, 2010
I do see it as a problem and as of last night it was still not fixed. When you have several pages of quests and every time you turn in a main quest and take the next one you have to stop and flip through the pages to find that quest.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2011
I am having an issue with my quest arrow not working at all. It does not track my steps or point me in the right direction. It just sits there like it is frozen.