Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

behavior in the pvp world

AuthorMessage
Defender
Apr 26, 2009
People are listening and KI tries to fix these problems, but people just don't get the fact that with open and text chat mean things will be said and that you just have to ignore them

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
lilycat1111 wrote:
People are listening and KI tries to fix these problems, but people just don't get the fact that with open and text chat mean things will be said and that you just have to ignore them

How can we be sure? No moderator has ever posted on one of these kinds of threads about pvp. We would at least like to know that people are listening.

Anyways PvP is a little crazy lately. People are rude to those of us who are of a lower rank. I guess you can say i occasionaly PvP, but not competitivly. When i do PvP, the rudeness and mean things that are said to each other is not a joke. Its real. It exists.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
lilycat1111 wrote:

@lilycat1111,

Such an attitude is part of the problem. We don't have to deal with the hostility and ugly language. In fact, the rules of use state that those sorts of verbal behavior are bannable offenses. Ignore it? I think not. Report it? I say YES!

KI can't fix it if they don't know about it. Yes?

We all have to learn the rules of polite society at some time early in life. I'm sure that every person who uses such foul language in-game knows it's wrong and does it for the thrill of breaking the rules and/or getting a rise from another player. Such behaviors are rude and disrespectful of the self and others.

Oh, and if you know people who use such language, you should really consider if such friends are worth the possibility of being tarred with the same proverbial brush and being banned or muted.

A Clean Chat is a Happy Chat,

Qbb/Iridian

Explorer
Apr 10, 2010
alex132444 wrote:
with all the rudness,whinning and constant complaints I'm surprised pvp is still on this game. I personaly have never seen such nastyness directed at so many as i have in this part of the game and think it promotes poor sportsmanship i for one will not pvp due to this.

PvP is the duct tape that helps keep players in the spiral even after they've completed all of the worlds and it will never go away. As for the whining and complaining, it is expected seeing as PvP will never truely be perfected and someone will always be the king of the hill or at the bottom of the bucket. As for the other the rudeness, nastyness ect., that is also to be predicted as it PvP is very competetive. No matter how hard one tries, you can never expect the internet to conform into the perfect image of cleanliness and pleasentry.

Luke

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Interesting observation:

I visited Wu realm late last night to see what sorts hang out there and what the kerfuffle is all about. To my great surprise, the Commons was packed with lions, tigers, and warlords...

It was a different world; one in which wizards form clans and act like they live in WoW. And, just like WoW, much cursing was present. I reported a few who repeatedly used a certain popular creative spelling of the infamous "F" word. I couldn't catch the ones who seemed fond of the term for a female dog. Simply lovely.

One charming young lady warlord said aloud, "I don't care about reports :)".

Is PvP drawing undesirable players into the Spiral? Perhaps we should discuss if PvP is a child-friendly sport, or if it is more of a professional gamer's hobby. Hmm.

I highly recommend a moderator or two spend the evening in Wu realm. Just go stand around in the Commons.

Enlightening, to be sure,

Qbb, Irate Parental Unit, Crusader for a Clean Spiral

Explorer
Apr 10, 2010
queenlybluebean wrote:

Is PvP drawing undesirable players into the Spiral? Perhaps we should discuss if PvP is a child-friendly sport, or if it is more of a professional gamer's hobby

No it probably isn't a "Child friendly sport", but then again it isn't KI's job to talor make the ENTIRE game for all of little Menu chatters, there has to be something for the other gamers out there or they'd lose a big percent of their paying playerbase. PvP requires a certain degree of skill and patience that some of the younger gamers just don't have. Mind you it's still not impossible seeing as I was a commader on my only max level before I even had text chat (which I promtly upgraded because of how clunky it was). As long as we are both defining 'children' as kids 12 and younger, they shouldn't be exposed to whining and outlashes if there PARENTS don't give them text or open prematurely.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
queenlybluebean wrote:
Interesting observation:

I visited Wu realm late last night to see what sorts hang out there and what the kerfuffle is all about. To my great surprise, the Commons was packed with lions, tigers, and warlords...

It was a different world; one in which wizards form clans and act like they live in WoW. And, just like WoW, much cursing was present. I reported a few who repeatedly used a certain popular creative spelling of the infamous "F" word. I couldn't catch the ones who seemed fond of the term for a female dog. Simply lovely.

Is PvP drawing undesirable players into the Spiral? Perhaps we should discuss if PvP is a child-friendly sport, or if it is more of a professional gamer's hobby. Hmm.

I highly recommend a moderator or two spend the evening in Wu realm. Just go stand around in the Commons.

My son told me about Wu realm a long time ago. It can be a disgusting place. I do wish our esteemed Professors would visit there. It is hardly a welcoming face for this game.

It has been my experience most of the players I report have PvP badges and rank. It seems Arena behavior comes to PvE quite often. I agree with Lucario450 the root cause for many can be competitiveness.

Lucario450 said this, "As for the other the rudeness, nastyness ect., that is also to be predicted as it PvP is very competetive. No matter how hard one tries, you can never expect the internet to conform into the perfect image of cleanliness and pleasentry.

Luke"

I disagree. Being on a family oriented E10+ game should give one their first clue how to act. KI has clearly stated rules, no swearing is one of them. People ignoring and tolerating bad behavior is another contributing factor. I don't and won't accept it.

I find it sad I trace many of the less than stellar behaviors to the Arena. I know there are PvPers who don't like the goings on and are being tarred with same brush as the reprobates.

I hope KI can fix the broken ranking system in PvP and get rid of the boorish behavior there too. Megan

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Lucario450 wrote:
queenlybluebean wrote:

Is PvP drawing undesirable players into the Spiral? Perhaps we should discuss if PvP is a child-friendly sport, or if it is more of a professional gamer's hobby

No it probably isn't a "Child friendly sport", but then again it isn't KI's job to talor make the ENTIRE game for all of little Menu chatters, there has to be something for the other gamers out there or they'd lose a big percent of their paying playerbase. PvP requires a certain degree of skill and patience that some of the younger gamers just don't have. Mind you it's still not impossible seeing as I was a commader on my only max level before I even had text chat (which I promtly upgraded because of how clunky it was). As long as we are both defining 'children' as kids 12 and younger, they shouldn't be exposed to whining and outlashes if there PARENTS don't give them text or open prematurely.

Well, aren't you a charmer :)

Correct me if I'm wrong:

Wizard 101 is a family game
Wizard 101 is a good game for children 6-106
Wizard 101 makes money from catering to families
Wizard 101 provides a family safe atmosphere for those families
Wizard 101 states that cursing and other inappropriate language is a violation of the Terms of Use

So, are you saying the KI should abdicate their responsibility to the demographic they chose to serve with this game? Are you saying that PvP players are above the rules? Are you saying that, ahem, PvPers are the most important players in game, and we should just say, "Aww, it's OK, curse away, be terribly rude. We don't mind, you're just so awesome!" Haha, yeah, right.

Skill in PvP does not free one from following the rules, polite behavior, kindness to others. Follow the rules or don't play in this environment.

Btw, my "little menu chatter" just graduated to filtered chat. I expect him to be free to use it without unnecessary taunting from other wizards in PvE AND PvP.

Qbb/Iridian Shadowweaver, Transcendent Theurgist, Irate Mom

Explorer
Apr 10, 2010
queenlybluebean wrote:
Lucario450 wrote:
queenlybluebean wrote:

Well, aren't you a charmer :)

Correct me if I'm wrong:

Wizard 101 states that cursing and other inappropriate language is a violation of the Terms of Use

So, are you saying the KI should abdicate their responsibility to the demographic they chose to serve with this game? Are you saying that PvP players are above the rules? Are you saying that, ahem, PvPers are the most important players in game, and we should just say, "Aww, it's OK, curse away, be terribly rude. We don't mind, you're just so awesome!" Haha, yeah, right.

Skill in PvP does not free one from following the rules, polite behavior, kindness to others. Follow the rules or don't play in this environment.

Btw, my "little menu chatter" just graduated to filtered chat. I expect him to be free to use it without unnecessary taunting from other wizards in PvE AND PvP.

Qbb/Iridian Shadowweaver, Transcendent Theurgist, Irate Mom

**cough**cough** Sorry just gagging there for a sec from all of the words being put into my mouth. It was the correct statement and was more from a stratigical stand point than an outlook on behavior in the spiral.

1). Yes it is. 6-12 year olds need not worry about what ever profanity my occur throughout the spiral. 13-18 ought to be mature enough to ignore it as well as (and especially) 18+ users.
2). Who do you think invests more annually in this game, a casual family of players or the hardcore gamers you think of as sociopaths for the most part?
3). There is absolutely no way of insuring that in an online MMO.
4). I never said that I condoned profane behavior and yes, it is by all means reportable, and no, higher status dosen't exempt you from the rules that everyone else has to follow.

And yes, I am quite the charmer aren't I? :)

Luke

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
Lucario450 wrote:

1). Yes it is. 6-12 year olds need not worry about what ever profanity my occur throughout the spiral. 13-18 ought to be mature enough to ignore it as well as (and especially) 18+ users.
2). Who do you think invests more annually in this game, a casual family of players or the hardcore gamers you think of as sociopaths for the most part?

Luke

OK this just got my goat in a major way.
#1 --EVERY last one of us regardless of age agreed to TOU. SOOOOO we should all abide by them PERIOD. Especially the 12-18+ age groups you highlighted, they all are MATURE enough to understand what they agreed to and to know right from wrong. Nobody should be subjected to or have to ignore those behaviors. They have no place in a family oriented E10+ game.

#2- FAMILIES do. Must of my friends are FAMILY players who have multiple accounts. We buy Crowns and multiple Subs. One of my friends has spent thousands of dollars since Beta on their and their family members accounts. That friend also has bought most of the game for another friend. My other friends and I spend nearly as much on our multiple FAMILY accounts as well. My friend says, "Family players spend their Crowns on pretties for fun." Meaning we jump to buy newly released Crown shop items like Mounts, Plants, Mastery Amulets etc.. We buy Crowns to stitch, buy Megas Snacks and buy energy to train pets and garden. We spend to enhance our fun and enjoyment of the game.

Megan

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Lucario450 wrote:
**cough**cough** Sorry just gagging there for a sec from all of the words being put into my mouth. It was the correct statement and was more from a stratigical stand point than an outlook on behavior in the spiral.

So, why are you posting your thoughts in the "Behavior in PvP'" thread? We aren't talking about strategy here. We are talking about how people disregard the Terms of Use, curse around the filters, and pollute the environment in the Spiral. We are talking about this in the context of PvP because it seems that the worst of the behaviors originate in the Arena.

We are concerned about this currently large problem because we are parents, children, and other civic-minded people who care about our game, who want to keep it viable for families and safe for kids.

Do you have disagreements with these concerns? If so, please do state them.

Kindest Regards,

Qbb

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
mom2mykidzcrcj wrote:
Lucario450 wrote:

Luke

#2- FAMILIES do. Must of my friends are FAMILY players who have multiple accounts. We buy Crowns and multiple Subs. One of my friends has spent thousands of dollars since Beta on their and their family members accounts. That friend also has bought most of the game for another friend. My other friends and I spend nearly as much on our multiple FAMILY accounts as well. My friend says, "Family players spend their Crowns on pretties for fun." Meaning we jump to buy newly released Crown shop items like Mounts, Plants, Mastery Amulets etc.. We buy Crowns to stitch, buy Megas Snacks and buy energy to train pets and garden. We spend to enhance our fun and enjoyment of the game.

Megan

Hehe, I'll do a quick calculation for my family's expenditures in the Spiral per year:

3 yearly subs @ 50.00 (if I'm lucky and get the special deal) = 150.00
1 crowns account @ 60,000 crowns x2 yearly = 120.00
Additional 60,000 x4 Crowns yearly =240.00

I spend approximately $510.00 annually for my family to maintain our accounts.

Add Miscellaneous gifts (per last year):

1 year sub for a super friend = 60.00
Mega bundle x2 for gifts = 80.00
Various gift cards for friends & behavior rewards = 50.00

Yearly, I can expect to sink approximately $700.00 into KI's coffers. Multiply that by 3, since I've been here since close to the beginning.
Over the course of my tenure in the Spiral, I have spent over $2000.00.

Do I pay enough to warrant a clean and safe gaming environment in PvP and PvE?

Megan, I'll see you in the Spiral later today :D

Regards All,

Qbb

Mastermind
Mar 28, 2009
As an archmage I really have nothing to do.. sitting in the commons is boring -.-" PvP is all I have and so do others.. I love the strategy.. One day disaster struck.. it was.. LEGENDARY.. Everyone loved level 50, we could farm many major ds bosses for level 50 gear. When people started criticalling every attack with gargantuan.. an imp could be deadly! People hated low block on a lot of gear. Took a LONG! time for people to learn about the ww gear. I wanted level 60 to come, but nobody ever expected critical to come! Critical changed pvp a whole lot. Zafaria made it a whole lot worst when life had almost 200 critical. Colossal wasn't helping either. Now avalon, Guardian Spirit made people mad, enfeeble, and bad juju made people MAD! I wish KI made a game that stayed at 50 because those were the good times.

Survivor
Jan 24, 2010
The behaviour in the PVP world IS terrible. I have a story that can relate to this subject. So i decided to make a new character so i might get somewhere with the PVP. Just so you know, I am TERRIBLE! at PVP but I am trying so hard to get a stinking robe, Anyway, I got in battle with this boy and greeted him with a Hi. After a while during the battle I used a treasure card (yes i know it is annoying but my plan on getting this robe isnt working) which defeated him. After the battle I ported to the PVP Lobby to sign up for another battle but then this boy I vsed earlier banned me and kept sending me rude comments. Telling me I am stupid,noobish, weak and many other things. After a while i couldnt take anymore of his annoy and rude text messages so I went offline feeling anxious and hurt. This isnt the first time it happened to me but this was the worst case I have exprienced. I totally agree that the behaviour of PVP players is terrible. Thanks a million for reading my comment.
Anna UnicornBlossom
Life
Level 67

Survivor
Jan 24, 2010
I go on the server Wu a lot,because it is usually at the end of the server list which means least players online. And your quite right. I dont spend much time in the commons as i usually did for this reason. Many Warlords and other like to pick on Privates thinking its 'cool' and they can do whatever they want because they are warlords. I also read the comment about your son. I'm sorry about that but what happened to him also happened to me and there are probably hundreds of more players that it has happened to too. But with me yes i was cheering on my friend that was competing but then the player he was vsing had a 'girlfriend' that was cheering her friend on too. She tried to do better encouragements then i did, then after my friend won she said "dont worry honey there just a couple of noobs :P" then ported away. This really needs to stop and i agree with you a lot.
queenlybluebean wrote:
Interesting observation:

Defender
Mar 09, 2009
KingsIsle should send snippets from the logs with the users colorful language highlighted to the email on the account. I'd be willing to bet most of them are a parents email. I know my kids wouldn't be able to sit for awhile, and would be taking a vacation from the computer.

Rogan

Survivor
Dec 22, 2008
hey by the way... why do they even allow the word "noob" on the filter?

Survivor
Aug 25, 2009
Ya I got ya. But I say that if you meet a rude player, don't lash out at them and start a fight. That just fuels them. Instead, stay friendly and report them at the end.

Delver
Apr 12, 2011
In pvp the ignore button is your best friend and quit complaining about simple strategies (unless puppet teams) all my words on this subject /:

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
Well, I am getting tired of it. When i pvp in a 2v2 with any of my friends, we usually win. When we do, more then 3/4 of the people call us noobs, and tell us we stink, and some other words that should not be repeated. Its getting annoying that people cant accept a loss as a loss, and people are just so immature that they have to swear to you to try to make themselves feel good during a loss. I must say, it isnt all, however. Also apparently if you use a one power pip tempest with colossal enchant twice in a row, its spamming, and i sit there going back and forth with the person about how it isnt a spam. I had a full deck of 64 cards and only 4 of them were tempest. After a while, the people started stepping up their insults from spammer, and noob. I am not sure how much longer i can even hit the button for go to arena, or even join a match for that matter.

Explorer
Dec 12, 2010
Pvp is getting nasty it is a disgrace but I still love it!!! :) Without Pvp you wouldn't see this Captain around the spiral no more! Lol!

Survivor
Jan 29, 2011
Pvp has been horrible chaos to due to level set ups,Treasure cards,and school advantages,behaviours to someones level,rank etc. Here my point is people have been acting very evil in pvp, name calling that i won't say, But people would say your a noob etc. cause you either lost or beat them. Next, is Treasure card advanages, some people can buy monstrous which is only -50 less that gargantuant, its very cheap and and bought from the archivist in district of stars what im trying to say is Medusa etc those cards should have a level cap because today people are winning due to treasure cards and also turns should be alternative than just 1 whole team. KI HERE ME FIX THESE THINGS

Survivor
May 05, 2009
Survivor
Feb 20, 2009
alex132444 wrote:
with all the rudness,whinning and constant complaints I'm surprised pvp is still on this game. I personaly have never seen such nastyness directed at so many as i have in this part of the game and think it promotes poor sportsmanship i for one will not pvp due to this.

well it is pvp. there are always people that canstantly complain fight and argue due to the fact that someone owned them in a match. makes them feel terrible and weak. especially if they are mocked after they loose. so basically if everyone got over there own pride it will be much much better.

Survivor
Feb 20, 2009
AstroStorm wrote:
alex132444 wrote:

Trust me it use to be a great and wonderful part of the game, filled with fun, laugher, friends, and awesome sportsmanship! , then those players came...

ever since the newer players or the people that think they are better than other came into the game it became a mess....only thing to do is make sure you beat them in pvp