Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

behavior in the pvp world

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 21, 2009
with all the rudness,whinning and constant complaints I'm surprised pvp is still on this game. I personaly have never seen such nastyness directed at so many as i have in this part of the game and think it promotes poor sportsmanship i for one will not pvp due to this.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
alex132444 wrote:
with all the rudness,whinning and constant complaints I'm surprised pvp is still on this game. I personaly have never seen such nastyness directed at so many as i have in this part of the game and think it promotes poor sportsmanship i for one will not pvp due to this.
Well, that's PvP for you. I'll still PvP, however. I enjoy the strategic planning it involves, and once in a while I do meet a friendly player there.

Delver
Jun 02, 2010
In some ways I agree with you, but personally I think it would be better off if PvP was not even in the game. If PvP was not around in the first place, then a large majority of complaints in the game would have never happen as well has much of the rudeness. PvP makes can easiely make players out to be enemies and hate each other. There are so many insults being toss in PvP arenas. In PvE it is not so bad, because players are working with each and their goal is to get through a challenge, but the thing is that in PvP the players are supposed to be obstacles to others.

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
alex132444 wrote:

Trust me it use to be a great and wonderful part of the game, filled with fun, laugher, friends, and awesome sportsmanship! , then those players came...

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
I cannot agree, I think that PVP is a very important part of the game.

First if all you did was PVE, would you spend the time to attain all the reagents for the crafting, all the time going in the Water Works for the gear, all the times trying to hatch over and over for the perfect pet, and then all the time farming, trying to get gold and trying to get the perfect Wand?
We in PVP have to, otherwise we are not able to compete in PvP. This takes countless and countless hours, believe me.
To put this into a different perspective, I did Celestia in two days. It’s taken me over a year to get my Myth Wizard to the point where he has the setup I wanted for PvP.

If you take out PVP, I do believe the game would be adding world at a much, much slower rate. Why do I say that, I did Celestia in two days, and then what would I do. I would quit and wait for the next world to come out.
There would be fewer players that would keep their accounts up. I could just buy cards when the new world comes out. Why pay all year long, when the world takes me two or three days to complete?
PvP gives me a reason to stay in the game, and for many, it's the only reason we stay.

Joe.

Survivor
Feb 14, 2010
First if all you did was PVE, would you spend the time to attain all the reagents for the crafting, all the time going in the Water Works for the gear, all the times trying to hatch over and over for the perfect pet, and then all the time farming, trying to get gold and trying to get the perfect Wand?
We in PVP have to, otherwise we are not able to compete in PvP. This takes countless and countless hours, believe me.

Actually, yes. I don't PVP anymore and I did all the crafting, and I still craft some things. I also did WaterWorks several times (but tbh you can't craft gear in Zafaria that is nearly as good), and I have been hatching pets trying to get a stronger one. The same goes with the farming and the wands. I know how many hours it takes, but don't think for a second that only PVP players do all this stuff. Those of us that PVE strive to be strong players as well.

I honestly think that PVP players think they rule this game more than they do. Some PVP players also have huge attitude problems, and they ruin PVP for some people. People like that are the exact reason I no longer PVP. Sure you can block their text, but then they have their friends port and shout at you from the sidelines, then you have to block them too, lol. It's irritating. I have walked away from a couple fights because it got so bad I wasn't even enjoying the fight. There are some nice PVP players but they are few and far between now days.

Survivor
Dec 21, 2009
answering you a bit . I was sitting in the comons when a warlord comes over looks at me and because i am a private in pvp he decides to harrass me for about 30 mins calling my arch mage a wimp really?
I have well over 250 crit and other very high stats on my wiz yet because i dont pvp I became a target this is what i am talking about. oh and p.s he shut up when i produced my only wiz i ever did pvp with it is a level 25 warlord I earned with out cheats way back the other guy was a captain

Survivor
Dec 21, 2009
Survivor
Dec 21, 2009
P.S.S when the rudeness carries out into the pve world then in my mind we have an issue!

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
alex132444 wrote:
P.S.S when the rudeness carries out into the pve world then in my mind we have an issue!

@alex132444,

Yes, I agree. It is unfortunate that this problem is already tainting the PvE environment. Witness the unpleasantness in Avalon in test and live game; lots of solo wizards have become unwilling to cooperate with others in street battles. Wizards post complaints in the test and live game forums saying they do not like other wizards to join their battles, they want the option to lock battle circles in MOB encounters, they disdain menu chatters. They get angry that other wizards "take" their traps or "steal" their defeats in MOB battles. They often echo the same message: I don't want to play with others. I want to solo. Leave me alone. I don't care if this is a socially-oriented game environment.

The bickering starts within a couple of days of release of a new world, and it peaks around a month later, when the hard core players have finished the new content a few times. Interestingly, the first spell, gear, and pet complaints are often found in the PvP forums. Then complaints of civility start to show up in the Ravenwood Commons, Halston's Laboratory, or the Dorms forums. That's what happened with the last update to the game.

I always test the new content when it is made available, and I have seen the same issue since the release of Celestia. It was around that time that the game seems to have shifted to cater to the PvP crowd; at least that's what the archives of these forums suggest.

Maybe I'll take on a research project this summer to gather links to illustrate these patterns in the forums. If summer classes allow, I will start a new topic to track the problem. Anyone want to help?

Happy Sunday,

Qbb/Iridian

Armiger
May 10, 2010
queenlybluebean wrote:
alex132444 wrote:

@alex132444,

Yes, I agree. It is unfortunate that this problem is already tainting the PvE environment. Witness the unpleasantness in Avalon in test and live game; lots of solo wizards have become unwilling to cooperate with others in street battles. Wizards post complaints in the test and live game forums saying they do not like other wizards to join their battles, they want the option to lock battle circles in MOB encounters, they disdain menu chatters. They get angry that other wizards "take" their traps or "steal" their defeats in MOB battles. They often echo the same message: I don't want to play with others. I want to solo. Leave me alone. I don't care if this is a socially-oriented game environment.

The bickering starts within a couple of days of release of a new world, and it peaks around a month later, when the hard core players have finished the new content a few times. Interestingly, the first spell, gear, and pet complaints are often found in the PvP forums. Then complaints of civility start to show up in the Ravenwood Commons, Halston's Laboratory, or the Dorms forums. That's what happened with the last update to the game.

I always test the new content when it is made available, and I have seen the same issue since the release of Celestia. It was around that time that the game seems to have shifted to cater to the PvP crowd; at least that's what the archives of these forums suggest.

Maybe I'll take on a research project this summer to gather links to illustrate these patterns in the forums. If summer classes allow, I will start a new topic to track the problem. Anyone want to help?

Happy Sunday,

Qbb/Iridian

That is gonna be one extreme Project Qbb. I absolutely agree with you and yes, it can absolutely be proven that since the release of Celestia, the game has changed and catered to PvP.

Major examples as I have already stated are +2 pip wands, Simplify, Elucidate, IceZilla. These are some of the things that started out in test realm of Celestia, but never made it to the game. Why, because PvP players complained that 7 pip spells could be used on 1st or 2nd turn. At that time, there was no fix for earthquake, so there were no multiple stun shields that could not be removed.

Other changes were mass accuracy on gear, new accuracy enchantments, hence the major change to Wild Bolt.

There is a lot of information in the posts that will support your theory Qbb, good luck finding it all, hope this information helps you on where to start.

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
Lion359 wrote:

To put this into a different perspective, I did Celestia in two days. It’s taken me over a year to get my Myth Wizard to the point where he has the setup I wanted for PvP.

If you take out PVP, I do believe the game would be adding world at a much, much slower rate. Why do I say that, I did Celestia in two days, and then what would I do. I would quit and wait for the next world to come out.
There would be fewer players that would keep their accounts up. I could just buy cards when the new world comes out. Why pay all year long, when the world takes me two or three days to complete?
PvP gives me a reason to stay in the game, and for many, it's the only reason we stay.

Joe.
you know lion i saw in one of your post on a different forum you said that pvp is the base of all live games(like call of duty zombies witch you did mention in a different forum) well you know what all live games on your game system have in common? the story and pvp are completly SEPARATE. if KI would just separate the two then would this forum that im quoting on now even exist? i think not because not only could Ki fix pretty much anything by puting limits on spells or banning a wand( i am thinking of the 2 pip wand that pvp players hated for some reason that i cant imagine) lion i know you love pvp but do you agree with this. comepletly separating the 2 just like on call of duty

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
Lion359 wrote:

Joe.
and btw joe i would craft and do all that stuff because then i would be completly ready for the next world so for you to say you know what 20 million people would do is pretty ridiculous

Survivor
Mar 01, 2010
I will still be playing it.It is wonderful for training and I enjoy the arena tickets.
some people were mean to me to. I just ignored them just do that. and report them. they said they will hack me too.

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
I get the rudeness at times myself, that is why I chose to block enemy pvp chat.. Now I have came across MANY people that ARE NOT nasty at all and I end up being friends with them when the match is over, so it really just depends on who you are fighting against..

I find more rudeness from people in the crowd watching. Usually they are the ones who cause the most annoyance.. People that know very little about pvp come into a match and flap their chops when they know very little about pvp period.

Try blocking people if you like pvp. If people come to the arena and start flapping, just ignore them- it helps alot- happy playing :)

Survivor
Jun 18, 2009
Oh where to begin on this thread.... I am an Avid PvPer who was lucky enough to get there favorite pet the first time lol. I agree that attitudes especially those of warlords are outrageous and it should be a bannable offense do be as rude as some of them are. But that goes for PvE players as well as PvP. I have seen as many 0 win 0 loss wizards in the commons being just as miserable to other players as PvP warlords. Second I believe PvP should be silent in the arena, all members not playing in the arena should be muted to players in the arena and opponents should also be muted. Teams can talk amongst them selves but otherwise complete silence, that would prevent the problem in the arena anyways. But as I have posted on many other Tabs in these forums, this is only the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

Defender
Nov 05, 2011
Sigh, pvp has and always will be like this. However I hope with the release of pirate101 people will have a fresh start. If there is pvp in pirate101 though.

Jazzy

Survivor
Dec 21, 2009
Hero
Jan 24, 2010
I have an experience to relate from yesterday:

My youngest son was just granted filtered chat in-game. He is so proud and excited! Everyone in our friends' group is so nice to him, chatting, asking questions, in general making him feel like we want him to message us in-game.

He was so happy...

THEN, he went to PvP to watch one of our friends fight. He was calling encouragement to his friend, and wizards on the other team called him names, told him to get a life, to go away, and various other mean statements. Let me tell you, Dolan Mythcaster's feelings were hurt. He was shocked, even asked me if wizards are always this mean to each other.

As a mom and a long-time player, I am so very disappointed and hurt for my child.

Qbb

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
queenlybluebean wrote:

My youngest son was just granted filtered chat in-game. He is so proud and excited! Everyone in our friends' group is so nice to him, chatting, asking questions, in general making him feel like we want him to message us in-game.

He was so happy...

THEN, he went to PvP to watch one of our friends fight. He was calling encouragement to his friend, and wizards on the other team called him names, told him to get a life, to go away, and various other mean statements. Let me tell you, Dolan Mythcaster's feelings were hurt. He was shocked, even asked me if wizards are always this mean to each other.

As a mom and a long-time player, I am so very disappointed and hurt for my child.

Qbb
yes pvp is getting out of controll. Fact no argument there what so ever. and as if the rudeness in pvp battles was bad enough but for it to carrie into the pve world just isnt right. not only that but these outragous people are taking controll over pve just look at some of the new spells we got. Ki needs to do something about it when the next world comes out. :(

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
In my vision, PvP shouldn't be added to a game in the first place. Although it's in most Online Games, it brings anger, disrespect, and plain rudeness to fellow players.

Then there's the issue of exceeding levels and ranks. The higher you get, the tougher you get, thus causing unfairness to lower levels.

Exceeding levels and ranks brings new powerful spells, some of which help you cheat your way through PvP. Like Spirit blade from life class for example.

Treasure Cards bring on surprising turns for higher levels when low levels use advanced ones, and usually it also breaks into a fight after the battle.

False reports are sent, causing more trouble amongst groups.

I know this would never happen, but if PvP was removed from the game, we'd adapt to it instead of staying sad and angry it's gone forever. Eventually everyone may get a little nicer with competition out of the situation. It'd be more…. family friendly.

All in all, PvP is advanced, and troublesome. But you either must deal with it, or walk away from it. I PvP'd up until Celestia came out. I wasn't going to get into the mess that I saw was starting with critical. And I was right for what I saw.

James Skullwielder level 73 necromancer

Survivor
May 07, 2011
I have to agree, the lack of sportsmanship and civility is what sours me on PVP. I only began to play PvP at level 70 on my Life wizard out of curiosity and I can assure you that when I reach warlord, I will cease. Not because it isn't fun, not because it isn't a thrill to face an unexpected challenge, not because of the intricate strategy required, but because of the rudeness.

I can understand the sore losers to a certain extent, it hurts when you lose, I get that. But then, it's only a game. When you lose you lose, go get another match, you might win the next one.

And then there's another set of players who can't even seem to win with any class. Really? You won. Now you feel like you need to be insulting about it? Again, it's only a game.

But the lowest, most unsavory part of it, is that it really isn't the competitors doing the bulk of the trash talking.

Who are these people who never seem to play the game, but hang out endlessly in the commons and on the sidelines of the arenas? Is that the best part of the game for them, needlessly abusing strangers who have done them no wrong? What happened in their lives, exactly, that makes them feel this is an appropriate way to spend the hours of your life?

But the truth is, it's the same sort of lack of decency that pervades much of the internet. The anonymity and lack of consequence often reveals the worst aspects of human nature. PvP didn't start that, but the competitive nature of PvP exacerbates it, I suppose.

So yes, I have always preferred PvE and the cooperative nature it engenders.

Sorry for ranting so much
Calamity Skullblood
Archmage Theurgist

Defender
Apr 26, 2009
gweedoboy wrote:
queenlybluebean wrote:

He was so happy...

Qbb
yes pvp is getting out of controll. Fact no argument there what so ever. and as if the rudeness in pvp battles was bad enough but for it to carrie into the pve world just isnt right. not only that but these outragous people are taking controll over pve just look at some of the new spells we got. Ki needs to
do something about it when the next world comes out. :(

As great as change would be there will always be mean and rude people. You may think that I'm saying to bad, but the thing you can't control what people will say. Everyone is entitled to their opinions good and bad. Just ignore them!

Explorer
May 02, 2010
I can no longer keep quiet about the issue of behavior during PvP. Please KI open your ears and listen up. I love the turn off enemy chat in PvP, it seriously helps block out the name calling and berating comments. Now finish the job and give us the ability to turn off spectator chat. The spectators have become downright rude crude and ugly. I have even seen opponents go as far as logging in a second account so they can insult their opponents. Simple fact is
that almost all my reports have been while in, watching or waiting on a match.
At least while waiting on a match you can realm change or wait elsewhere. But that option is just not available during a match. In short give us the option of blocking spectator chat from appearing in our chat box.

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
lilycat1111 wrote:
gweedoboy wrote:
queenlybluebean wrote:

He was so happy...

Qbb
yes pvp is getting out of controll. Fact no argument there what so ever. and as if the rudeness in pvp battles was bad enough but for it to carrie into the pve world just isnt right. not only that but these outragous people are taking controll over pve just look at some of the new spells we got. Ki needs to
do something about it when the next world comes out. :(

As great as change would be there will always be mean and rude people. You may think that I'm saying to bad, but the thing you can't control what people will say. Everyone is entitled to their opinions good and bad. Just ignore them!
i didnt say say no one should not voice there opinions in fact i beleive in freedom of speech more most of the stuff on this game and yesi know it will not stop anything just like us asking for a new ww isnt getting anywhere but yet we post and ask for it anyway in hopes that they will listen.