Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Can't activate open chat on my 18+ account.

AuthorMessage
Hero
May 02, 2009
I tried contacting support about this but they weren't very helpful, so I'll just post it here.

With the recent changes to the "my accounts" area, players can no longer activate open chat. Support said that you can't change your age, and also that the system doesn't 'track' ages (i.e. if you initially registered your account as age 12, then 2 years later it would still be verified as 'under 13' since that's what you originally made the account as).

While I understand the first one can be for security measures, I find the second one to be a load of balony. When I initially made my account, I could only use text chat (open chat didn't exist back then), and when open chat came out, I still wasn't old enough to get open. Now that I am, I find that I'm stuck with text chat, and can't get open chat enabled.

I feel that if a player has proven to stay within the code of conduct and the wizard101 rules, that they deserve to get open chat, regardless of what they initially set their age as.

As more and more people are getting open chat, its getting harder for text chat players to communicate with them efficiently (sp?), so I think the solution/compromise I suggested above would be something that would be something that could work very well (for lack of a better word/phrase).

Thank you for your time.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
I can understand where this would be a problem. Is there any chance that your account is also under parental control? As an off chance, you may also want to check your options page ingame to make sure that BOTH chat options are on.

I do agree that this is something that KI does need to address.

KI, you really do need to set the controls to track ages or restore the original controls so that this can be addressed. I do realize that there are some that do lie about their ages, but not being able to upgrade this particular option is going to bring more ranting posts as there are players reaching the 18+ age every day.

Please fix this issue but also keep the entered birthdate locked so that it cannot be changed. It should be fairly easy for the system to track anyone trying to bypass the entered birthdate and recognize the fact that they have actually attained the 18+ age requirement for open chat......

Defender
Aug 06, 2011
goldendragon18 wrote:
I can understand where this would be a problem. Is there any chance that your account is also under parental control? As an off chance, you may also want to check your options page ingame to make sure that BOTH chat options are on.

I do agree that this is something that KI does need to address.

KI, you really do need to set the controls to track ages or restore the original controls so that this can be addressed. I do realize that there are some that do lie about their ages, but not being able to upgrade this particular option is going to bring more ranting posts as there are players reaching the 18+ age every day.

Please fix this issue but also keep the entered birthdate locked so that it cannot be changed. It should be fairly easy for the system to track anyone trying to bypass the entered birthdate and recognize the fact that they have actually attained the 18+ age requirement for open chat......
I agree to this, all though some people may set they're birthday wrong and realize the injustice of it (I.E. A 6-year-old kid trying to activate Open Chat, and then one of his/her parents find out. Oh no, you can't change it back. An innocent kid now stuck with a bunch of adults and foul language) so I think the birthday should be able to be changed, as long as it's going down.

Ian CrowRider
Level 72 Sorcerer
"Without Balance, the world would be chaos."

Adam GoldenEyes
Level 6 Pyromancer
"Your destiny is like an ember, ready to spark into greatness at any moment."

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
KingCobra022, I understand what you are saying. Yes, there are some that will also lie about their age in order to have open chat. And a 6 yr old should not even know how to set up an account on this site.

What I would like to see, is for KI to restore the original options instead of this new system. I do agree that a master Password is needed just to prevent the under 18 yr olds from activating open chat, but it is not really fair for those that have actually reached 18+ to not be able to have open chat. This is a problem that does need to be fixed.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
All you have to do is pay for your subscription with a credit card. If you use a credit card, you are essentially proving your age, and the open chat feature will be available to you.

However, you will need to look at your account settings to see if:

There is a parental passcode set up to limit your ability to change settings. If your parents set one up, they can give it to you and/or disable the parental controls and settings.

Check to see that your account shows an active credit card number in your name. If so, you should be able to send a service ticket to the support staff to have the open chat tool activated.

BUT, if the parental controls are still locked, you won't be able to do anything about the problem. So that sends you right back to the question of an activated parental passcode.

I was a crowns member for a while, and it was no trouble to get open chat when I became a yearly subscriber.

Good luck with this! Post back and let everyone know if you were successful :)

Regards,

Qbb

Survivor
Oct 11, 2009
I am over 18 and I have paid with a credit card, but I started this game when I was 15 so I input my age as that, but now that I am 18 I want to get open chat. KI plz bring back the old format, or at least some of it so people can attain their open chat.

Survivor
Jan 19, 2011
:-ok so i was in grizzleheim and did a quest for the battle of jotun and forgot to mark it in my quest tablet in my book and defeated him with my friends and i was battling for 2 hours straight and finally when we beated him i checked my spellbook and the quest was still there and i was very upset :(

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
tommy15243 wrote:
:-ok so i was in grizzleheim and did a quest for the battle of jotun and forgot to mark it in my quest tablet in my book and defeated him with my friends and i was battling for 2 hours straight and finally when we beated him i checked my spellbook and the quest was still there and i was very upset :(

To KI staff and Tommy15243. This post is in the wrong place. Please fix it.

this poster is having a problem with a quest in Grizz, not with open chat on 18+.

Defender
May 15, 2010
goldendragon18 wrote:
tommy15243 wrote:

To KI staff and Tommy15243. This post is in the wrong place. Please fix it.

this poster is having a problem with a quest in Grizz, not with open chat on 18+.
You have the backwards. Or should I say: Backwards the have you.

Survivor
Jun 11, 2009
flash33 wrote:
I tried contacting support about this but they weren't very helpful, so I'll just post it here.

With the recent changes to the "my accounts" area, players can no longer activate open chat. Support said that you can't change your age, and also that the system doesn't 'track' ages (i.e. if you initially registered your account as age 12, then 2 years later it would still be verified as 'under 13' since that's what you originally made the account as).

While I understand the first one can be for security measures, I find the second one to be a load of balony. When I initially made my account, I could only use text chat (open chat didn't exist back then), and when open chat came out, I still wasn't old enough to get open. Now that I am, I find that I'm stuck with text chat, and can't get open chat enabled.

I feel that if a player has proven to stay within the code of conduct and the wizard101 rules, that they deserve to get open chat, regardless of what they initially set their age as.

As more and more people are getting open chat, its getting harder for text chat players to communicate with them efficiently (sp?), so I think the solution/compromise I suggested above would be something that would be something that could work very well (for lack of a better word/phrase).

Thank you for your time.

dude i feel you my account birthday is set to 2010 and i even asked support to help but they dont there not even helping me so now i dont have open chat and i even made 2 purchases of crowns with my credit card and i still cant get open chat i dont see how its a big dea? why cant they just give people open chat that are loyal i've played the game since it came out and i dont get help? i feel hated and abandon i'm pretty sure they would have access to our birthday's like come on really?

Administrator
jerrynoah123 wrote:

dude i feel you my account birthday is set to 2010 and i even asked support to help but they dont there not even helping me so now i dont have open chat and i even made 2 purchases of crowns with my credit card and i still cant get open chat i dont see how its a big dea? why cant they just give people open chat that are loyal i've played the game since it came out and i dont get help? i feel hated and abandon i'm pretty sure they would have access to our birthday's like come on really?

It was your responsibility to give the correct birthday when you registered and no, it's against the law for us to keep birthdate information for those under the age of 13. We will not break federal law for you.

community@wizard101.com
Squire
Jun 19, 2009
I had gotten Open Chat in the earlier times of it's existence, and I slightly do agree on how it should be locked to change your age. UNLESS:

You first put your age over 18. If it was somehow by accident, or somewhat of that issue, you may be allowed to change your age. But be warned, once under 18, you may not change it again.

Although it is a bit ridiculous that the age doesn't continue to change as it does in real life, and I understand under law Kingsisle can't keep track of our ages, but surely they can solve this???