Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Nerfing spells.

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Nerfing spells.

This board gets a ton of complaints, on the nerfing of spells,
for PVE. That is just silly, the only complaints that should
be stated, imo, are those for PVP.

Why do I say that for two reasons.
No spell would ever have to be nerfed if we did not have PVP,
but we do.
Who would care if one school was stronger than the other in PVE,
no one would care.
Everyone loves to have a Life or a Storm on their team in PvE.

PVP is what tells you if the Wizards are balanced in their power.
It is what propells the game to a much higher standard, and
makes one wizard's skill so much higher than another in PVE.
PVP is, without question, what Nerfs spells, but it only
nerfs the spells that create a huge difference in PVP.

It wouldn't matter if Wild Bolt could hit for 1000 each time
it was cast, if there was just PVE. Put it in PVP and you
have a spell that made a match unfair.
It wouldn't matter if Guardian Spirit could heal for 100%, or
for just 25%.
Not one of the Monsters in the game would complain.
Put that same spell in PVP, and you have a problem.
Monsters don't care, but people can tell when the game has become
unfair.

When KI nerfs your school's spell, think before you complain,
just because you want more power. PVP needs to stay Balanced,
and telling us that PVP to just change our stratergy, is not the right
thing to do. Keeping the game balanced for PVP is the correct thing
to do. Because anyone can beat a Boss even with lower spells, please
remember the Boss that you can only use Rank 4 and Lower spells.
The Monsters are weak, even in the Dungeons they are weak.
If we only had PVE, then the spells we have could be a lot weaker,
and it wouldn't matter, so ah yeah.

Joe.

Delver
Oct 05, 2010
Armiger
May 10, 2010
I have a problem with your theory Joe.

Lets just say Joe. You are always facing me in PvP. So, would that make any spell I use as being overpowered and needing to be changed? Would that mean all schools are unbalanced because you never win?

How can you effectively state that PvP determines how balanced the schools are, especially since you are the one that started a rank the schools post?

Remember, the one with :
Fire, Myth, Life, Ice, Storm, Death, and Balance.

If they have a rank on the majority, how exactly is that balanced either? If life has not made top rank in PvP from a spell, how is that spell overpowered and needing to be changed?
It was not Life, Fire, Myth, etc....

Wild Bolt was changed because of where the game was going and is going. You now have pets that can have 10% storm accuracy, 6% universal accuracy and another 6% strom accuracy. You also have enchantments with 30% to 35% accuracy. These are the reasons WildBolt was changed, not due to the fact that the spell was overpowered, but because KI knew they would be still increasing accuracy, which would make the spell Overpowered.

Now, imagine this spell now, with 100% accuracy, storms boosts and critical chance. Yes, storm would be 1st in the rankings.

Which is why, I dont understand the change to guardian spirit and the nerf of this spell.

All I know is, I have a buffet of cookies and cheese ready.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Well, Joe, That's just insulting. Can you prove that PvP in Wizard 101 would survive without the enormous PvE community? I sincerely doubt you can do so.

Hmm, which came first? PvE or PvP? I've been playing this game for a long time, and it seems that without PvE, you can't really do much with PvP.

Warmest Regards,

Qbb/Iridian

Explorer
Jul 05, 2009
Joe,

I totally agree with your post, and it baffles me that people always seem to complain about how pvp is "ruining" the game. Well, first off all, there shouldn't be a "battle" between pvp and PvE, they are both equally important, and both have a large community! So I will not try to put one above the other.
But, as Joe said, if only PvE existed, how would one know if the school are balanced in power? In PvE, even death can do massive damage, but in PvP, it's a whole different story.
Note: just because one school is dominant in Pvp doesn't necessarily mean that that school is more powerful than the other. Like I said, some school are more fitted for group pvp than 1v1. How can one possible compare Fire to Life in 1v1? Fire was basically made to be great in 1v1. Just like I believe storm is better fitted for group pvp.
If you do not work at KI co. you cannot possibly know where the game is going. What if KI tends to improve healing boost even more in the next update, can one see how problematic Guardian Angel will be then?
All in all, I believe that PvP is essential and crucial in measuring the school's powers. Like you said Joe, who would have cared if Bolt could hit 1000 all the time if there were no PvP. Storms would be just loved even more in PvE, but in the arena, that is a problem, hence the change!

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
doudjy wrote:
Joe,

I totally agree with your post, and it baffles me that people always seem to complain about how pvp is "ruining" the game. Well, first off all, there shouldn't be a "battle" between pvp and PvE, they are both equally important, and both have a large community! So I will not try to put one above the other.
But, as Joe said, if only PvE existed, how would one know if the school are balanced in power? In PvE, even death can do massive damage, but in PvP, it's a whole different story.
Note: just because one school is dominant in Pvp doesn't necessarily mean that that school is more powerful than the other. Like I said, some school are more fitted for group pvp than 1v1. How can one possible compare Fire to Life in 1v1? Fire was basically made to be great in 1v1. Just like I believe storm is better fitted for group pvp.
If you do not work at KI co. you cannot possibly know where the game is going. What if KI tends to improve healing boost even more in the next update, can one see how problematic Guardian Angel will be then?
All in all, I believe that PvP is essential and crucial in measuring the school's powers. Like you said Joe, who would have cared if Bolt could hit 1000 all the time if there were no PvP. Storms would be just loved even more in PvE, but in the arena, that is a problem, hence the change!

Words of wisdom, PvP and PvE co-exist for the reason of everyone's preference. I myself prefere PvE over PvP just because i'm honestly terrible at the current system, a lot of other people prefere PvP for the challenge and "fun" they can have.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Well, Joe, That's just insulting. Can you prove that PvP
in Wizard 101 would survive without the enormous PvE
community? I sincerely doubt you can do so.

Hmm, which came first? PvE or PvP? I've been playing this
game for a long time, and it seems that without PvE,
you can't really do much with PvP.

Warmest Regards,

Qbb/Iridian

QBB,

All I can say is, almost 99% of the PVP players are also PVE.
So your correct in that aspect. We that play PVP, are
PVE players to some degree, as how else are we to gain level?
Plus we PvE to gain the gear and things we need for crafting.

I really do believe that in PvE it does not matter if Guardian Spirit
can heal for 25%,100% or 200%, why would it?
(I did not mean to be insulting to anyone, it just that you, from your point of view, read that into what I stated).
I only have 10 to 14 cards in my deck when I go into a PVE match.
I can assure you that is not the case when I PvP.
The Power of the spell has a different effect in PvE, than the
effect in PVP. I know that most PVE only players will not understand
this, but it is very true.

We appear to be back to back, in our view on this. So I don't
expect you or any person that only PVEs to understand what I wrote.
If you don't understand why I enjoy PvP, how can I expect you to
understand my point of view, I don't.

The basic issue, between you and I, you enjoy Pve, and I don't really
care much for it. You may enjoy the conversations in Pve, I
usually turn off my chat box (unless with close friends).

Different people enjoy different things in the game, and that is
why PVP is so important to the game.

If a Spell makes PvP unfair or makes it not worth trying to play,
Then PvP’er need to complain. To not complain and quit the game will hurt the game to a huge degree. If you instantly lost 30 to 50% of the players, it will also hurt many trying to complete worlds.

Next time you are out and about in the spiral, try clicking on
different players, and just see how many PvP. There are a lot of
us that don't wear our ranks....

Joe.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
doudjy wrote:
Joe,

Doudjy,

Thanks for the reply, I'm glad others can see what I was saying and the pont i was trying to make.

Thanks,
Joe.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
darthjt wrote:

Lets just say Joe. You are always facing me in PvP. So, would that make any spell I use as being overpowered and needing to be changed? Would that mean all schools are unbalanced because you never win?

How can you effectively state that PvP determines how balanced the schools are, especially since you are the one that started a rank the schools post?

Remember, the one with :

If they have a rank on the majority, how exactly is that balanced either? If life has not made top rank in PvP from a spell, how is that spell overpowered and needing to be changed?

Wild Bolt was changed because of where the game was going and is going. You now have pets that can have 10% storm accuracy, 6% universal accuracy and another 6% strom accuracy. You also have enchantments with 30% to 35% accuracy. These are the reasons WildBolt was changed, not due to the fact that the spell was overpowered, but because KI knew they would be still increasing accuracy, which would make the spell Overpowered.

Now, imagine this spell now, with 100% accuracy, storms boosts and critical chance. Yes, storm would be 1st in the rankings.

Which is why, I dont understand the change to guardian spirit and the nerf of this spell.

Darthjt,

We have already had this discussion in the past, and you already know my replies. I know you don't care for Central players, but that is beside the point.
Also, who's to say that I would lose any PvP match with you, we haven't met up yet on the 1v1 battleground.

Joe.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
darthjt wrote:

Remember, the one with :

Darthjt,

I really think that over the past six months or so, all you have been doing is playing the devil's advocate, nothing more. Maybe you find this funny, but I have been trying to be a advocate of integity. I won't waste my time with a reply, as I don't think you really believe in what you wrote.
Don't worry, keep your buffet, I can feed myself.

Joe.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
doudjy wrote:
Joe,

I totally agree with your post, and it baffles me that people always seem to complain about how pvp is "ruining" the game.

PvP does not ruin the game, it takes away from the game. Why, because almost every PvP player whines and cries at almost anything that changes their norm. If anything at all is a challenge, it is overpowered and needs to be changed. This fact is proven time and time again on message boards everywhere.

Well, first off all, there shouldn't be a "battle" between pvp and PvE, they are both equally important, and both have a large community!
No, there should not be, but, as long as PvP players constantly complain about spells, gear, etc, and changes are made that effect the game, players will complain about the PvP players complaints. It is a viscious circle.

So I will not try to put one above the other.
Try? When exactly did you try? The only way to try, it to want PvP and the game to be entirely Seperate. Where the wants of PvP does not have any bearing on the game, spells, gear, etc.

Yes, PvP is a whole different story, you can't see whom you are facing before you start a battle. You have to prepare for every spell in the game when you PvP, unlike PvE. Hence, PvP players complain that decks are too small, resistance is too high, spells are too powerful, the list goes on and on!

Note: just because one school is dominant in Pvp doesn't necessarily mean that that school is more powerful than the other.

Really? What? Huh? I can't believe you just said that and meant it.

Like I said, some school are more fitted for group pvp than 1v1. How can one possible compare Fire to Life in 1v1?

Fire is not fitted for group pvp? Really? Fire is only designed for 1v1? What? Really? Where you get this stuff? I find it amusing, a bad joke if you will. Anyway, go on.
Fire was basically made to be great in 1v1. Just like I believe storm is better fitted for group pvp.

So, Fire can't be great in group PvP but it can be in 1v1 pvp, while life and storm can't be great in 1v1 pvp but can be in group pvp? I think you have had one too many meteors strike near you, it's got you flaming.

Guardian Angel is not a problem as it is now, except for the lazy PvP players, that only want to complain about this spell, instead of devise a strategy to defeat it, like the good pvp players do.

If you truly believed that, then you would not have thrown that 1v1 non-sense at us and would accept the fact that Fire, as it has always almost always been at the top of the ladder in PvP is way too overpowered and needs to be hit with the nerf bat many times, way more than any other school.

But, that is where the problem is, most people are biased to one school. Where most don't look at the entire equation. But you can't teach an old dog new tricks or change the mind of someone who has put on blinders to where they can't see the truth, even when it is right in front of them.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
Well, Joe, That's just insulting. Can you prove that PvP
in Wizard 101 would survive without the enormous PvE
community? I sincerely doubt you can do so.

Hmm, which came first? PvE or PvP? I've been playing this
game for a long time, and it seems that without PvE,
you can't really do much with PvP.

Warmest Regards,

Qbb/Iridian

QBB,

All I can say is, almost 99% of the PVP players are also PVE.
So your correct in that aspect. We that play PVP, are
PVE players to some degree, as how else are we to gain level?
Plus we PvE to gain the gear and things we need for crafting.

I really do believe that in PvE it does not matter if Guardian Spirit
can heal for 25%,100% or 200%, why would it?
(I did not mean to be insulting to anyone, it just that you, from your point of view, read that into what I stated).
I only have 10 to 14 cards in my deck when I go into a PVE match.
I can assure you that is not the case when I PvP.
The Power of the spell has a different effect in PvE, than the
effect in PVP. I know that most PVE only players will not understand
this, but it is very true.

We appear to be back to back, in our view on this. So I don't
expect you or any person that only PVEs to understand what I wrote.
If you don't understand why I enjoy PvP, how can I expect you to
understand my point of view, I don't.

The basic issue, between you and I, you enjoy Pve, and I don't really
care much for it. You may enjoy the conversations in Pve, I
usually turn off my chat box (unless with close friends).

Different people enjoy different things in the game, and that is
why PVP is so important to the game.

If a Spell makes PvP unfair or makes it not worth trying to play,
Then PvP’er need to complain. To not complain and quit the game will hurt the game to a huge degree. If you instantly lost 30 to 50% of the players, it will also hurt many trying to complete worlds.

Next time you are out and about in the spiral, try clicking on
different players, and just see how many PvP. There are a lot of
us that don't wear our ranks....

Joe.

Joe, you said in your first message that the only complaints that should be allowed in these forums are those of the PvP community. That is insulting ande belittling to the PvE community.

Please answer my question: Does PvP exist without PvE? If not, then PvE is at least as important as PvP, and so are the 20 million PvE wizards who DO have valid opinions about our spells. The PvP community is tiny, and does not deserve to dictate the terms of spell casting for the rest of us. Period.

I agree with you that we have different points of view, and we will likely never find common ground. I disagree that PvP is more important than PvE in the Spiral.

Regards,

Qbb

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Remember, the one with :

Darthjt,

I really think that over the past six months or so, all you have been doing is playing the devil's advocate, nothing more. Maybe you find this funny, but I have been trying to be a advocate of integity. I won't waste my time with a reply, as I don't think you really believe in what you wrote.
Don't worry, keep your buffet, I can feed myself.

Joe.

Advocate of Integrity? Then explain why you have not been asking for nerfs to Fire & Myth, as they have always been on top of the PvP Leader Boards? Why have you not been asking to nerf Balance?

I am happy to hear you think of me as the Devil's Advocate, it means that you know, I am your greatest opponent, however, you might want to ensure you are on the right side Joe. When someone thinks they are doing good and just, they blur the line of right and wrong and find themself on the dark side.

I will state this once again, you are asking for a nerf to a Life spell, because it makes PvP last too long, according to your words.

Ice, who already has this ability with their resistance.

Fire, Myth, and Balance, all way ahead in the PvP LeaderBoards.

Where are their nerfs?

Now, life, whom you all are picking on, where is life's 4 pip AoE?
Lifes DoT Spell?
Lifes attack boost enviornmental?

1 spell, that puts Life in the running of PvP and it must be Nerfed? Does not even put Life in the #1 spot, just the running. WoW, just wow.
How can you possibly justify calling yourself the advocate of Integrity?

Explorer
Jul 05, 2009
darthjt wrote:

PvP does not ruin the game, it takes away from the game. Why, because almost every PvP player whines and cries at almost anything that changes their norm. If anything at all is a challenge, it is overpowered and needs to be changed. This fact is proven time and time again on message boards everywhere.
Oh give me a break! People complain because KI is NOT perfect. There are humans working there, and they make mistake.
At the end of this post you start complain about how Fire is too overpowered, so doesn't make you a whiner as well?!

No, there should not be, but, as long as PvP players constantly complain about spells, gear, etc, and changes are made that effect the game, players will complain about the PvP players complaints. It is a viscious circle.
well, looks like you just joined the league of whiners with your comment about fire needing to be nerfed because it is "overpowered". What is exactly do you want KI to do in order to nerf fire? As of today, I hope you stop with giving anyone lesson about "complaining", because asking for a school to be nerfed is as low as it gets!

Try? When exactly did you try?
Do you not understand english? I said I "will not"? So, where do you get that I tried anything form my post??

The only way to try, it to want PvP and the game to be entirely Seperate. Where the wants of PvP does not have any bearing on the game, spells, gear, etc.
A lot of people don't care about PvE. What do you think happen in the space between updates? People who pvp KEEP paying to pvp, whereas people who only quest can cancel their sub, and only renew it when a new world comes out!

Yes, PvP is a whole different story, you can't see whom you are facing before you start a battle. You have to prepare for every spell in the game when you PvP, unlike PvE. Hence, PvP players complain that decks are too small, resistance is too high, spells are too powerful, the list goes on and on!
If I recall properly you were one of the persons complain about Ice's huge resist to fire and storm. What, suffering from short term memory syndrome?

Really? What? Huh? I can't believe you just said that and meant it.
Yes, I said it. And I can't believe you had nothing more to say to it than being stunned.

Fire is not fitted for group pvp? Really? Fire is only designed for 1v1? What? Really? Where you get this stuff? I find it amusing, a bad joke if you will. Anyway, go on.
Ok, I am growing tired of you constantly putting words in my mouth, which seems to be one of your argumentative "skills". You quoted me, but in that quote, where did you see me say that fire is not fitted for group pvp?? where??!! And where did I said that fire is "only" fitted for 1v1?? What is amuzing, and a joke, is your ability to misquote me all the time. Again, you still follow the same logical fallacy "After this, therefore because of this". geesh!

So, Fire can't be great in group PvP but it can be in 1v1 pvp, while life and storm can't be great in 1v1 pvp but can be in group pvp?
Again, Darth, stop putting words in my mouth!

I think you have had one too many meteors strike near you, it's got you flaming.
time for YOU to get a pair of glasses, or attend some speech classes.

Guardian Angel is not a problem as it is now, except for the lazy PvP players, that only want to complain about this spell, instead of devise a strategy to defeat it, like the good pvp players do.

If you truly believed that, then you would not have thrown that 1v1 non-sense at us and would accept the fact that Fire, as it has always almost always been at the top of the ladder in PvP is way too overpowered and needs to be hit with the nerf bat many times, way more than any other school.
Yes, you finally show yourself as one of the complainers! Asking for fire to be nerfed. I've seen people ask for their school to get more power, but asking for a school to be nerfed, i have never seen that. So, congrats on winning that medal. You are extremely good at putting words in my mouth, and coming up with an invalid rebuttal. I will STOP any debate with you as you are more interested in misquoting me, than having an honest debate. And you can do the same for me...

But, that is where the problem is, most people are biased to one school. Where most don't look at the entire equation. But you can't teach an old dog new tricks or change the mind of someone who has put on blinders to where they can't see the truth, even when it is right in front of them.
Yes, you can say that. Most people are biased to one school, and you definitely biased towards storm. But, holding a grudge against a school is new to me. For someone like you who is always quick to talk about strategy, it seems like you are having major problem with fire. Otherwise, why would you ask for it to be nerfed? Why don't you start working on a strategy to beat fire instead of whining about how "way too overpowered" they are. Take you own advice for once!