Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Unbalanced PVP

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 09, 2009
So my daughter today lvl 32 Ice got beaten by a lvl 5 commander. Why is that fair???? She is upset because she can't win a single pvp match. It said the levels and ranks were balanced, but with the equipment and pets it is way out of balance. Can anyone shed light on this??

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Well, at level 32, she has a lot more health than a level 5. She also has a bigger deck and more trained spells.

As for a pet, anyone can get a great pet, it just takes time and effort.

As for gear, Ice is already given Universal resistance with damage boost and accuracy. While commander gear does give power pips, accuracy, and damage boost, it also does not give any health, especially for a level 5.

Treasure cards are available to any wizard at any level.

Best I can say, is be prepared and ready for anything. It's not like she was level 5 and facing a level 32 commander, that would be totally unfair.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Well, if it's ranked pvp you're doing, then just don't do it yet. Try doing practice until you get great at it and most win most of your battles, then go to ranked pvp later on.

If it's practice you're talking about, then fix up your deck, get the perfect gear that you want (Sometimes getting "up-to-date" gear isn't always the best thing (As you can see at level 30-35 how much your health drops to journeyman health, and also at level 40 how you lose many stats. At level 50 you'll lose everything just to gain critical, or you lose all of your secondary stats for primary stats. So, you can see a lot of gear changes and if some are better then others) So, sometimes don't just grasp for the new level gear, patience can help at many times (Most wizards, like me, are in high hopes for better gear since level 60)

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Talorinki wrote:
So my daughter today lvl 32 Ice got beaten by a lvl 5 commander. Why is that fair???? She is upset because she can't win a single pvp match. It said the levels and ranks were balanced, but with the equipment and pets it is way out of balance. Can anyone shed light on this??

Talorinki,

This level 5 Commander may be what we often call an assasin, or someone that has perfect gear, pet, wand, deck setup, and has a ton of skill.
This player may have many Warlords, and know exactly how to take down a higher player that does not know how to play very well.

I have seen level 30's and 40's fall to my Myth level 5.

It's the skill set, and how the training points, etc, that can allow this to happen.

I do want to ask one question, was she in ranked, or was she in practice?

If she started off in Ranked, that was not a good choice, as rank matches, are "much" harder to win.
Practice is where all players should start until their deck is setup, and they can win 65 - 70 % of their matches, imo.
She should also go to central and read some of Digby Strongheart's Ice guides, they can really help a beginner.

Joe.
Josepeh LionHunter, Level 80 Ice, (currently sleeping).

Survivor
Jun 09, 2009
Well, I don't understand how I can help her be a better pvp player (her record today stands at 0 wins and 28 loses most of which were lvl 10 or lower opponents) when she can't stand against any other character.

I thought maybe having her create a lvl 1 and starting pvp from there, but she was pitched against a lvl5 knight. I just think the system is a flawed.

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
The problem is that "very experienced" players say levels 70-80 are making "smaller" level wizards playing pvp for easier chances at pvp.. They pass their best pets down through the banks giving the awesome pets to their lower levels and buying treasure cards that do more damage. I see it everyday in the arena.. Sorry she is unhappy.. Tell her to keep trying.. Like darth said I can't imagine why a level 30 something would be fighting her anyways- doesn't sound fair to me, but the arena has been uncrowded lately it could be that the ice person was all there was to fight.. good luck to her.

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
Lvl and spells are an important aspect in pvp thats for sure, but it's only good as the person playing it, this commander was probably very skilled in pvp, and i've seen many low lvl warlords and commanders and such.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Talorinki wrote:
Well, I don't understand how I can help her be a better pvp player (her record today stands at 0 wins and 28 loses most of which were lvl 10 or lower opponents) when she can't stand against any other character.

I thought maybe having her create a lvl 1 and starting pvp from there, but she was pitched against a lvl5 knight. I just think the system is a flawed.

Talorinki,

The best way to help her is to find her a teacher for PvP. Put up a posting asking for help, explaining her Ice, level, and what gear she has etc.
Also, track down the posting here done by TravisAK, on helping beginners.
Read every posting and then print it off. It has a good amount of very important information in it. Talk over each posting with her in detail, as some items are not really for a beginner.

Go to the Wizard101 Central Website, and go to the Guides, as suggested above. Find all guides for her Level, and make sure she gets as much of the gear as possible. The guides are what is going to help the most.

Help her make her own Treasure cards.. and if needed she can always farm for gold.

Hatching a good pet is very hard and take a long time, so this may want to be an on going project.

Have her go into Practice and sit with her to help her. After a while, she will get the idea, and be off and running. This is exactly what my brother did, to help me get started. I may not be the best in the game, but I can sure hold my own against almost anyone.

Joe.