Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Muted for 10 years?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 02, 2009
So i've been muted for 10 years aparently and they have yet to give me a reason. 10 YEARS!?!?! Are you kidding me? I won't be playing this game when i'm 28 years old. I'll have a life. This is really ridiculous in my oppinion. I have been a paying customer since 2008 and i've never had any problems with KI before this incident. I have never said a mean word to any player on Wizard101 and i've probably only been reported twice in my entire 4 years of playing. Has this happened to anyone else?

Administrator
That's correct. You were sent an email to the email address associated with your Wizard101 account that explained your infraction.

In lieu of suspension, your account has been muted until Fri, 20 May 2022. Should you continue to engage in any type of behavior that violates the terms of use, your account will be suspended and can be permanently banned.

If you have questions about your sanction, reply to the email that you were sent requesting more information.

community@wizard101.com
Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
I suggest you follow up with why you were muted.

As for the punishment I believe it is a bit ineffective because who is going to be muted for 10 yrs? A shorter time may actually teach the person KI doesn't fool around, wizards may actually wait for a few weeks or months to get chat back but not 10 yrs. - how many times have you heard - my other account was muted, I hear it daily now? Any infraction that leads to a 10 yr mute should really just be a ban and get it done with. Consider if you have a yearly membership though - banned and you would probably be entitled to some sort of refund for time you clearly can not use - muting is an easier route because you could still use your account you paid for just not the way you paid for it originally.

Many of the games areas are Menu Chat restricted - meaning they are shunned so Text chat players would actually loose a lot of game areas to play also so being muted isn't your only punishment - any place with a cheating boss etc would be out.

As for having at life I think you would be surprised how many older players with a life do play this game - just saying - since I am one of them.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
brwac wrote:
I suggest you follow up with why you were muted.

As for the punishment I believe it is a bit ineffective because who is going to be muted for 10 yrs? A shorter time may actually teach the person KI doesn't fool around, wizards may actually wait for a few weeks or months to get chat back but not 10 yrs. - how many times have you heard - my other account was muted, I hear it daily now? Any infraction that leads to a 10 yr mute should really just be a ban and get it done with. Consider if you have a yearly membership though - banned and you would probably be entitled to some sort of refund for time you clearly can not use - muting is an easier route because you could still use your account you paid for just not the way you paid for it originally.

Many of the games areas are Menu Chat restricted - meaning they are shunned so Text chat players would actually loose a lot of game areas to play also so being muted isn't your only punishment - any place with a cheating boss etc would be out.

As for having at life I think you would be surprised how many older players with a life do play this game - just saying - since I am one of them.

As Brwac stated, find out why you were muted for 10 years by requesting the info through the email you or the main account holder received. IF someone else also has access to your account, you are still responsible for their actions.

Brwac, KI does not refund. That is a forfeit. That is also explained in the ToU. But you are right about the fact that many that have been muted or banned have just created new accounts. KI can track those accounts as well and if the owner of the account continues with the same actions they were banned or muted for, KI can PERMANENTLY ban them.

I am also an older player and I DO have a LIFE outside of the game.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
What always interests me about these posts is that they complain about their infraction in an open forum. While I may disagree with KI on several game issues and mechanics, I hardly think they suspend or mute anyone without just cause.

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
Thats funny...my friend got muted for 10 years too. Why? No reason! This is getting to the point of ridiculous.

Administrator
wizardgirl1840 wrote:
Thats funny...my friend got muted for 10 years too. Why? No reason! This is getting to the point of ridiculous.

There was a very good reason for your friend to be muted permanently. We don't sanction accounts without reason. If your friend is too embarrassed to tell you why they were sanctioned, don't assume that there was 'no reason'.

Chatting in Wizard101 is a privilege. Abuse of that privilege and breaking the terms of use will result in sanctions against accounts including but not limited to revoking chat privileges.

community@wizard101.com
Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Hi All,

Just want to share a follow up link to augment this discussion:

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/43920.ftl#246836

Professor Greyrose provides a thorough explanation of how KI deals with muted account holders who have started new accounts.

To the OP, follow the rules, respect yourself and others, and you will not experience disciplinary action. Always remember that you are in a public space inhabited by a multi-age community. Contribute a positive influence to the Great Spiral, please :)

Happy Saturday,

Qbb/Iridian/Moira/Alexandria

Explorer
Apr 20, 2009
Hero
Jun 08, 2009
If you were Muted for a 10-year duration, you did something to deserve it. You could have used foul language, behaved innapropriately, or anything else of the sort. Remember, folks, this is a kids game. Please keep our Spiral clean, and DON'T do that sort of thing.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
@Qbb and Bionaknight, THANK YOU very much.

I have just spent the last 30 minutes doing some research on the E10+ rating that KI has set for this game. Their ESRB rating is exactly as it states on the rating Icon at the bottom of the page which is "CRUDE HUMOR & MILD FANTASY VIOLENCE". Although there are some games that are rated E10+ do allow "Mild language", even this is not allowed under KI's rating. Sexually explicit or suggestives are not allowed either.

For anyone wanting to check the ratings, there is a link under "Parents" (ESRB) to the left of the boards. You can even do a search for a specific game to see if there is any additional information on their allowed content.

I don't have a problem with players saying things like "heck, darn, shoot, poop and even a few others." But those are not SWEAR words and have never been considered as such. Under KI's rating, even the mildest swear word is not allowed.

I have recently sent private chat to some using the mild swear words and asked them to please refrain from this use and some do stop. I have met with considerable backlash from a couple of them and was reported by one or two as making a false report when I finally did report them for repeated swearing. In my opinion, it is they who are making a false report.

If I have ever reported the wrong person, I sincerely appologize for this. I have found recently that the chat flows so fast that it actually very hard to tag a specific players.

I think KI needs to make some changes in their ToU to explain better just exactly what is and is not allowed and make it a madatory acceptance before being able to continue registering to play the game.

_--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The only thing that is not rated in this game is PLAYER INTERACTION. This is something that KI needs to take into consideration.