Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why Guardian Spirit should NOT be changed!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
While I really don't feel like reading each post entirely word for word (yes I'm being honest) I've skimmed over a solid seven or so, and while quoting others as well is great to stick a point to someone personally - I have no qualms with any one poking the proverbial finger in my face.

Every time a spell gets in the way of a PvP participants' comfy strategy, we hear the agonizing groans from the masses to change and augment another school's spell. We heard the same from the stats on the crafted wands out of the Floating Lands, and now we have only our selves to blame going up against monsters in Avalon who start off with 9 pips.

I'm Pro for having Guardian Spirit staying the way it was in test, and even the way it was, shy of yesterday's update.. I could add my 2 cents in and complain, but why should I antagonize KI to flip flop while I cry in the name of a victim complex.

Right now, most (yes I'm overly generalizing) wizards stash a life mastery amulet in their back packs for the sole reason of healing as freely as we life school wizards do.. and not all of these 'most' actually picked life as their second school to begin with. With these amulets, all owners can now easily throw a rebirth into the PvP mix and not have to worry about batting an eye. I think it was in this thread itself that someone said that Unicorn was readily available in the tc shops, but with pets having this as a talent, I don't see why unicorn should be such an issue.

What does burn me is that if Rebirth can be crafted and traded and then spammed by any life mastery amulet toting wizard - why the issue with Guardian Spirit. If the player on our team we are trying to set up with a little bit of 'Insurance' has a high life block, it does not matter if we critical with it on the cast. Also, to those saying they drained their pips and then the other team revives - don't you think its a strategic deficiency on someone's part to have all players on one team drain their pips when the Auto-Life halo of Guardian Spirit is clearly visible? Besides, its not like we get to keep our pips when we revive from a Guardian Spirit, in comparison to a non life wizard rebirth, and that defeated player 'does' get to fire an attack.

I could go on, but I do realize I have a really long post and I am late for a date with Young Morganthe. So please.. feel free to point that proverbial finger in my face.. but a 15% auto life on HP that crosses or comes close to 4k is completely not worth it for a 5 pip spell.

Sincerely,
Hunter OwlCaller (lvl 79 Life)

Survivor
Feb 14, 2010
Well, it has been changed now, and it's completely useless. I figured it would happen with all the complaining PVP players were doing. I don't suppose we will get another spell to replace it, since it is basically a pointless spell now with the downgrade. Now we have other schools with strong attack spells, and life school is left with basically nothing good. I was so excited when I got this spell because I new how useful it would be when soloing boss fights (which I do a lot of), but now I won't use it. It uses so many people with very little benefit. It's more likely to get me killed.

Delver
Jul 09, 2009
darthjt wrote:
This is exactly what I have been saying all along Braveline, it's about time someone else gets it.

People are very stubborn and don't want to think of a possible strategy to defeat anything. They would rather complain on the message boards stating its too overpowered, it's unfair.

While every school has something that is unfair, or too overpowered. Some say Gnomes is life's overpowered spell, because it has 2 life dispels, yet, some schools dont require life spells to heal. That and the fact that they can shield and shield and shield, life has no DoT attack, life has no 4 pip AoE. While almost every other school does. So, life finally gets a good spell and because it makes life harder to kill, which life should be difficult, seeing as they are life, people complain.

People even post that their match has lasted over 4 hours, yet want to complain. Life obviously did not kill them either, so something has to be severely overpowered on their school. Hmmm, to think, it's no longer come down to strategy, but who has the best complaint?

Hey bro I think you're becoming a tad bit hypocritical now. If I'm correct in that thread "Nerfing Spells" was it you said lazy PvPers whine, complain, say things should be nerfed, but good PvPers would think up a strategy, right? Your the one who in the same post also said fire should be nerfed a lot of times and hasn't. Hmm, I smell hypocrite.

None the less, I agree with PvP has become who has the best complaint. I simply just go to Practice or don't PvP at all. Now I know this is gonna stir some people up, but PvP is ruining the game. Remember when the cap was 50 everyone was happy. Even at 60 there weren't complaints, until legendaries started PvPing. The complaints brought no changes because Ki put their feet down and said: "No!" When I see Wizard101 commercials they aren't informing you to PvP, but to play W101's PvE. Without PvE, you'd have everyone using scarab or storm snake. Complaining about spells constantly is annoying. Kingsisle sees it the first time and gets it. 5-6 posts are enough, but a constant barrage of: "Blank is Op" is nerve racking. The people at Ki are humans and humans are awesome at making mistakes. How about a simple "Thanks for the new update" or thank you for fixing this, Ki you guys are amazing!" once in awhile. Ki needs time to fix these flaws and work on new things for us to enjoy. Just like Puppet teaming issues, Ki is deciding when to address these issues and how.

Aaron Drakewalker Archmage Pyromancer

Delver
Jul 09, 2009
darthjt wrote:
Lion359 wrote:
If KI decides to drop this to 15%, my life will still have a huge advantage.
My life now has two crafted rings, 30%, 20% and 21%.
Plus my other boost, am I going to complain, no, why would anyone?

15% of 4000 and then I get to double that, and after I'm defeated.
As soon as I'm defeated, anything that is on me, traps, feints, infection, dispels are all lost.

Please anyone tell me why I should complain on this?

Joe.

Gee Joe, does life have a 4 pip attack all? Does life have a DoT? Does life have a boosting enviornmental? Is life at the top of the PvP Leader Boards?

The correct answer Joe is no to all of the above. The pet that gives a boosting enviornmental is a 1 shot card and a death pet to boot, so, does not count. The point is, most complaints are from Fire & Balance? Fire, who has been and still is Top of the Leader Boards in PvP. Balance, who has no school shield? Yeah, these schools really have so much to complain about.

Sorry, but changing this spell from 25% to 15% is not gonna make a huge difference in PvP. If you can't inflict enough damage to finish life at a heal of 25%, what makes you think you are good enough to at 15%?

No, the real problem is, as it has always been. People are just too complacent to adjust and rather than try and get a real strategy, they complain and cry about it. Joe, this spell is not a game changer, nor is it a game breaker. It's a spell.

Now, when Fire starts getting hit with the major nerf bat, instead of constantly being boosted, then changing this spell would be acceptable, but as it stands, KI keeps listening to people that want the easy road.

Fire is on top of the PvP LeaderBoards, both in 1v1 PvP and group PvP, yet, they are boosted, while Life, who was at the low end, now gets nerfed?

Did you Joe, not state, that PvP proves if the schools are balanced? Does that not prove that Fire and Myth both need to be Nerfed before life is?

How can you possibly justify your statements?

Something called stress man. If you didn't notice most people play games to get rid of stress. Challenging things or thinking are fun for many, but when someone can simply be brought back to life right after they are defeated is nerve racking. People make rash choices when upset and don't think before they act, you can't call them lazy for that. You're judging people on things and don't have the right to do so. People are going through rough times and come to chat with online friends and relax on W101, but get annoyed if someone keeps coming back to life after being defeated and can reshuffle to use the spell countless times. You owe a lot of people an apology, Darthjt.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Quote:"Every time a spell gets in the way of a PvP participants' comfy strategy, we hear the agonizing groans from the masses to change and augment another school's spell. We heard the same from the stats on the crafted wands out of the Floating Lands, and now we have only our selves to blame going up against monsters in Avalon who start off with 9 pips. "

RavynShadows,

I expect that you do not PvP, just based on your first line. I do, and all I can say is that I have never had a comfy sttrategy, every battle in 1v1 is long and hard. Plus, I will say, I am tired of trying to make people understand the average PVP'ers issues.

I understand PVE, because I have brought up two wizards to level 80, and three up to level 70, (with my last one almost there). Plus I have a low level account for PVP when I want to really enjoy the game.

What I now understand, is that people that do not PVP, cannot understand how complex it is. I don't even had to think for most PVE battles, and can use almost any random deck setup I want, and still win.
You cannot do that in PVP, you would lose the match quickly.

In PVP, it takes a long time to build up your wizard the way it needs to be.
Setting up your treasure cards also takes a ton of gold, to keep them in supply. Getting the pet you need for upper level PVP takes a year sometimes or more for some. I have seen many players that never get the pet they really need. You have to keep going in the Waterworks over and over to get your clothes. The Tower of the Helephant is the same to get your rings. These are not as easy as normal PVE, much harder.
Then you have to fiqure out how to set up your deck, and side deck.
Then, once you get everything you need, you have to form a stratergy that will work with your style of fighting and how your wizard is setup.
You need to prepare for each type of Wizard, and know how fast you can get what you want. This is just a basic overview, but it give a overview of what the Captains and above have to do just to prepare for PVP.

So when I hear a PVE'er complain about what the PVP group say, it bothers me, a great deal. We put a lot into this game, a lot more time and effort.
When we say a spell is not right, it's because we are not fighting a simple PVE battle, we are in ranked matches, and know what the spell can do.

Yes, in PVE we can blast an enemy with 2000 with a simple spells.
But in PVP, the same spell will only do 400 on a another player.
There is a huge difference between the two, and all that post things like you have posted, should step into our shoes and PVP up to Warlord.
After that, then they should come back and post what they think.

Joe.

Survivor
Feb 14, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
Quote:"Every time a spell gets in the way of a PvP participants' comfy strategy, we hear the agonizing groans from the masses to change and augment another school's spell. We heard the same from the stats on the crafted wands out of the Floating Lands, and now we have only our selves to blame going up against monsters in Avalon who start off with 9 pips. "

RavynShadows,

I expect that you do not PvP, just based on your first line. I do, and all I can say is that I have never had a comfy sttrategy, every battle in 1v1 is long and hard. Plus, I will say, I am tired of trying to make people understand the average PVP'ers issues.

I understand PVE, because I have brought up two wizards to level 80, and three up to level 70, (with my last one almost there). Plus I have a low level account for PVP when I want to really enjoy the game.

What I now understand, is that people that do not PVP, cannot understand how complex it is. I don't even had to think for most PVE battles, and can use almost any random deck setup I want, and still win.
You cannot do that in PVP, you would lose the match quickly.

In PVP, it takes a long time to build up your wizard the way it needs to be.
Setting up your treasure cards also takes a ton of gold, to keep them in supply. Getting the pet you need for upper level PVP takes a year sometimes or more for some. I have seen many players that never get the pet they really need. You have to keep going in the Waterworks over and over to get your clothes. The Tower of the Helephant is the same to get your rings. These are not as easy as normal PVE, much harder.
Then you have to fiqure out how to set up your deck, and side deck.
Then, once you get everything you need, you have to form a stratergy that will work with your style of fighting and how your wizard is setup.
You need to prepare for each type of Wizard, and know how fast you can get what you want. This is just a basic overview, but it give a overview of what the Captains and above have to do just to prepare for PVP.

So when I hear a PVE'er complain about what the PVP group say, it bothers me, a great deal. We put a lot into this game, a lot more time and effort.
When we say a spell is not right, it's because we are not fighting a simple PVE battle, we are in ranked matches, and know what the spell can do.

Yes, in PVE we can blast an enemy with 2000 with a simple spells.
But in PVP, the same spell will only do 400 on a another player.
There is a huge difference between the two, and all that post things like you have posted, should step into our shoes and PVP up to Warlord.
After that, then they should come back and post what they think.

Joe.

So what you are basically saying is that since you think PVP players are such superior players and because you think they invest more time and energy into the game (I completely disagree with this by the way based on my own experience and what I have done to build up my wizard), that PVP players should be allowed to call the shots for the entire game. So PVE players wants and needs should be completely ignored in order to accommodate PVP. Yup, that sounds fair. I guess PVE players no longer matter in this game. I'm sorry but your post is exactly why I don't PVP anymore. PVP players are just too darn arrogant for their own good, and they do think that this game should revolve around them and their demands and complaints and that PVE players should just go with whatever PVP players want.

Since the guardian spirit spell has been changed to suit PVPers it has now become basically useless to those of us who mainly PVE in the game. I have actually taken it out of my deck because now it does more harm than good. It is no longer worth the five pips and using it now is a good way to get yourself killed. I solo most of my battles, even when I am up against four enemies, so when the guardian spirit first came out I was excited because I knew what an asset it would be in more difficult boss fights when I am alone. Now that it has been knocked down to 15 percent because PVPers were complaining, I can't even use it. So basically, life has no new useful upper level spells. Other schools got stronger attack spells and we got guardian spirit, but now that it's useless, we basically got nothing new, so we will be easily overpowered by enemies and other players.

BTW I know full well the potential of this spell. PVP players have a tendency to think they are the only ones who truly know the game and the potential of certain cards. While I understand it is an obstacle for PVP, I also know that new strategies can be developed if PVPers would take the time, to overcome this obstacle. Instead they decided to complain and complain until the card was downgraded and rendered completely useless in all aspects of the game, and yes, it is useless. If I am up against four enemies and have guardian spirit up, when I die I lose all blades and get knocked down to one pip (two if I get a power pip). When you are against four enemies, especially those with strong spells, you literally have no time to save yourself after guardian spirit revives you at 15 percent. If I don't critical, it only gives me about 1000 life points now, and those can easily be knocked down by four enemies in one or two rounds while I am trying to build my pips up and set up for an attack. While it may revive you, it's almost impossible to set up for an attack afterwards because at that point, you are basically just trying to stay alive, but as long as it's been adjusted so that it's no longer a threat to PVP players that's all that matters I guess.

I have to say I am a member just like you, and I invest a lot of time and money in this game just like you. However, the change with this spell was the final straw. I am finally fed up, and seriously considering not paying my money for a game that will not consider all players needs equally. You want the spell gone from PVP then request it not be able to be used in PVP, but don't ruin the card for everyone in the entire game.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
flarzedrago9 wrote:
darthjt wrote:
Lion359 wrote:

As soon as I'm defeated, anything that is on me, traps, feints, infection, dispels are all lost.

Joe.

Gee Joe, does life have a 4 pip attack all? Does life have a DoT? Does life have a boosting enviornmental? Is life at the top of the PvP Leader Boards?

The correct answer Joe is no to all of the above. The pet that gives a boosting enviornmental is a 1 shot card and a death pet to boot, so, does not count. The point is, most complaints are from Fire & Balance? Fire, who has been and still is Top of the Leader Boards in PvP. Balance, who has no school shield? Yeah, these schools really have so much to complain about.

Sorry, but changing this spell from 25% to 15% is not gonna make a huge difference in PvP. If you can't inflict enough damage to finish life at a heal of 25%, what makes you think you are good enough to at 15%?

No, the real problem is, as it has always been. People are just too complacent to adjust and rather than try and get a real strategy, they complain and cry about it. Joe, this spell is not a game changer, nor is it a game breaker. It's a spell.

Now, when Fire starts getting hit with the major nerf bat, instead of constantly being boosted, then changing this spell would be acceptable, but as it stands, KI keeps listening to people that want the easy road.

Fire is on top of the PvP LeaderBoards, both in 1v1 PvP and group PvP, yet, they are boosted, while Life, who was at the low end, now gets nerfed?

Did you Joe, not state, that PvP proves if the schools are balanced? Does that not prove that Fire and Myth both need to be Nerfed before life is?

Something called stress man. If you didn't notice most people play games to get rid of stress. Challenging things or thinking are fun for many, but when someone can simply be brought back to life right after they are defeated is nerve racking. People make rash choices when upset and don't think before they act, you can't call them lazy for that. You're judging people on things and don't have the right to do so. People are going through rough times and come to chat with online friends and relax on W101, but get annoyed if someone keeps coming back to life after being defeated and can reshuffle to use the spell countless times. You owe a lot of people an apology, Darthjt.

Stress, as you call it, is made by your own personal choice. If you choose to PvP, you are adding your choice to make additional stress.

PvP has and continues to limit the ability of wizards, powers, and expansion in this game.

I owe no one an apology. If these people choose to PvP, it is their choice and accept the fact that they are choosing to take on the additional stress factor. Not pass the buck.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
jekbeau wrote:
Lion359 wrote:
darthjt wrote:
Lion359 wrote:

Joe.

Darthjt,

You make the assumption that everyone is just like you, not so.
You must also make the assumption that everyone can attain High Honor Roll in School, not so.
You must also make the assumption that everyone can get a 200K a year job with or without a college education, not so.

Calling people lazy because Wild bolt became to much for most players, and they couldn't handle it, is wrong.
Calling people lazy because Guardian Spirit was way to much for most players, again is wrong.
This game is for the average play, not just the top 1% of the extreme players. Calling 90% of the players that play the game lazy, is again, just wrong.

Joe

So agressive towards him... geez. Darthjt makes a good point. You're making assumptions about Darthjt, Joe.

People can never be happy with what they get. They always have to complain about it .

Joe just did that to avoid my points. He can't prove me wrong, so he had to post the assumptions excuse.

Joe also can't deny, well, he can, but he would be wrong again, if he did, that PvP is keeping the game from expanding. It is nerfing not only the spells, the power of wizards, but the whole process of Ideas.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Darthjt Quote "Joe just did that to avoid my points. He can't prove me wrong, so he had to post the assumptions excuse.

Joe also can't deny, well, he can, but he would be wrong again, if he did, that PvP is keeping the game from expanding. It is nerfing not only the spells, the power of wizards, but the whole process of Ideas."

Darthjt,

Everyone has their opinion, and ours just are not the same.
PVP is the extreme of the game but is critical to the game, and you don't seem to get that, as many others.
Lets just look at a few of the games I have played, Call of Duty (Black ops), Wow, Zombies, and my list can go on and on, PVP type games are huge. How huge, pick up gamer mag or game informer and read up on how many play PVP type games. I can tell you this, and it is solid facts.....,
These games dorft W101, their is absolutely no comparison in the numbers.
Pick up the Mags for a while and read up, you will quickly see that they are absolutely massive.
KI knows this, they know that PVP is critical to the game, why do you think they moved so fast to correct this spell?
PVP is just as much a part of this game as is PVE, they are both intergal parts. Take one out, and the game will fade, just as others that have.

As you always say to me, try to open your eyes and expand a bit more.

Joe.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
Darthjt Quote "Joe just did that to avoid my points. He can't prove me wrong, so he had to post the assumptions excuse.

Joe also can't deny, well, he can, but he would be wrong again, if he did, that PvP is keeping the game from expanding. It is nerfing not only the spells, the power of wizards, but the whole process of Ideas."

Darthjt,

Everyone has their opinion, and ours just are not the same.

Yeah, I am not young, I have wisdom and experience on my side.

PVP is the extreme of the game but is critical to the game, and you don't seem to get that, as many others.

PvP is an Aspect of the game Joe, not the extreme and it's certainly not Critical to the game.

Again, I am having to repeat myself Joe, this game started, advanced, and became quite huge without the PvP factor.

At that time, people wanted PvP, craved for it, so it was introduced into the game. PvP did thrive for some time, until pretty much the release of Celestia.

Lets just look at a few of the games I have played, Call of Duty (Black ops), Wow, Zombies, and my list can go on and on, PVP type games are huge. How huge, pick up gamer mag or game informer and read up on how many play PVP type games. I can tell you this, and it is solid facts.....,

Yes, PvP games are huge. Call of Duty is definitely a PVP game, yes, it has a PVE mode, but its basis and core foundation is PVP. It also hinges on real-time scenarios. Not Turn based, school based, and pip based. These 2 games are entirely different in concept, structure, and design, you can't compare them.

These games dorft W101, their is absolutely no comparison in the numbers.
Pick up the Mags for a while and read up, you will quickly see that they are absolutely massive.

I don't know about these games Dwarfing W101, since W101 is game of the year, and runner up last year. Wizard101 is very unique and offers a different concept of play, a different design and battle system.

KI knows this, they know that PVP is critical to the game, why do you think they moved so fast to correct this spell?

PvP is not critical, but KI does like to listen to their players. The problem as I said, it does not fix the actual Problem in PvP Joe, it calms some of the masses that are half witted, because they truly dont do the math, but anyone that is calculating and intelligent can see, it did not change PVP.

However, and this is your biggest mistake Joe, it does effect PvE. You state, that PvE players should just change their gear then, so it's ok for PVP to dictate what PVE can and can't wear, what the spells are? You are Wrong Joe, on so many levels.

PVP is just as much a part of this game as is PVE, they are both intergal parts. Take one out, and the game will fade, just as others that have.

As you always say to me, try to open your eyes and expand a bit more.

Joe.

PvP is not just as much a part of this game as PVE is Joe!
That is like saying PVE is as much a part of Call of Duty as PVP is.

No, you can live without the PVE in Call of Duty and PVE will survive in Wizards without PVP, it's how the game is setup and what its geared for.
I know you don't grasp the concept of this, but one does not require the other, but both maximizes the benefits.

The problem with PVP complainers, is that they demand changes, without thinking of the consequences. As we both know Joe, the nerf to Guardian spirit did not change much for PVP, but it did quiet a lot of the simple minded complainers. However Joe, you can't dispute that it does disrupt the PVE community. You say you don't care and that's the whole point and problem in a nutshell, PVP players don't care about anything but themselves.

Hence, why I post as often as I do, some agree with me, some disagree, Usually it depends on if I am pro your school or against your school. Because I am truly about Balance, but that Balance has to keep PVE in mind also, not just schools, but all aspects of the game.

You are a smart kid Joe, you will eventually figure this one out.