Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Minding your own business

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Apr 28, 2009
I understand taking care of a family safe game, but some things boil down to why do you even care.

So let's take a true as an example, me and my friends are chatting in a what we thought was a empty PvP lobby (we purposely look for these) so we start a good conversation talking about what happened in the last PvP (a 4v4) and how mad they were at the end and how it was funny to watch them cuss, scream, yell, and lie about how their parents work for kingsisle and will ban us.

Well a girl happens to get online, in our server in one of those corners completely unnoticed by any of us. So we start quoting how some of them cussed and raged at us with a lol in-between. And she reported all of us. Didn't bother me much but my other friends got a little upset about it and explained to her what we were talking about and how she should have minded her own business instead of worrying about something that doesn't affect her at all.

She said she was sorry, and we just rolled our eyes in that yea what ever manner and just moved on. Nothing came from the report but the story stuck to me for a good few months. And it just now came back to mind and I sat in class wondering why people care, and why some jump straight to the report instead of learning the story, especially when it didn't effect them.

I may just be mad about the whole thing, what do you all think. Did she do the right thing, or was it a misunderstanding, or do you think she just needed to mind her own business. All criticism i'll take as positive feed back.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
I consider everything said in public chat as "fair game" when reporting someone. If it breaks the rules,then i report it.

Delver
Jul 21, 2009
Even thought this is in the wrong topic, It's best to put them people on ignore and move on and forget all about them. it's good that you all try to go were there is no one around but here is a tip for now on it may be best if you all go to one of yours or his/her house and talk then you wont have to worry about anyone being around. Long as your not breaking rules you have nothing to worry about. good luck.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
TJCAR wrote:
I understand taking care of a family safe game, but some things boil down to why do you even care.

So let's take a true as an example, me and my friends are chatting in a what we thought was a empty PvP lobby (we purposely look for these) so we start a good conversation talking about what happened in the last PvP (a 4v4) and how mad they were at the end and how it was funny to watch them cuss, scream, yell, and lie about how their parents work for kingsisle and will ban us.

Well a girl happens to get online, in our server in one of those corners completely unnoticed by any of us. So we start quoting how some of them cussed and raged at us with a lol in-between. And she reported all of us. Didn't bother me much but my other friends got a little upset about it and explained to her what we were talking about and how she should have minded her own business instead of worrying about something that doesn't affect her at all.

She said she was sorry, and we just rolled our eyes in that yea what ever manner and just moved on. Nothing came from the report but the story stuck to me for a good few months. And it just now came back to mind and I sat in class wondering why people care, and why some jump straight to the report instead of learning the story, especially when it didn't effect them.

I may just be mad about the whole thing, what do you all think. Did she do the right thing, or was it a misunderstanding, or do you think she just needed to mind her own business. All criticism i'll take as positive feed back.

Sorry, but she did the right thing. It is a reportable offense regardless of the situation. You should not even "QUOTE" what was said in the game that is against the rules. You should have reported those that did it in the first place. I am an adult and I would have reported it myself if I had seen it.

It does not matter whether it effects them directly or not. Many of us have young children that play and some even have open chat since they do play with family members. We don't want our children or grand children exposed to that kind of stuff in the game. The REAL WORLD IS BAD ENOUGH!!!!

I don't even tolerate foul language used in my own house. I realize that children will eventually learn it anyway, but games are not the place for it. Using this type of language is not only disrespectful to others, but IMHO it is self degrading as well.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
I agree with goldendragon18.
The terms of service apply to YOU as well as everyone else, and this includes you quoting someone. The girl did nothing wrong. You and your friends, however, did.
If you are going to talk about something you don't want anyone to hear, here's an idea: go to someone's 'house.' Or private message.

By swearing, even though quoting, you were violating the rules. Sorry.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
All chat is logged and can be investigated by KI (even if your talking to yourself).

If you don't want others prying into your business, conduct your chat at another player's house or in group chat.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
If you are going to cuss, I recommend you do it in the privacy of your own home or private chat, not in public, where there could be children. Heck, you shouldnt even be cussing in the first place!

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
RavenLady777 wrote:
I agree with goldendragon18.
The terms of service apply to YOU as well as everyone else, and this includes you quoting someone. The girl did nothing wrong. You and your friends, however, did.
If you are going to talk about something you don't want anyone to hear, here's an idea: go to someone's 'house.' Or private message.

By swearing, even though quoting, you were violating the rules. Sorry.

RavenLady777 made a suggestion that can be used, BUT, KI logs ALL chat whether it is private, at someone's 'house' or even if you are just talking to yourself. KI has the right to BAN or MUTE you regardless of where you are or who you are talking to. If at anytime KI does review those logs, then you are subject to any penalties they impose.

Your best course of action is DON'T VIOLATE THE RULES and that includes quoting another player. You don't even have to quote that player if you report them at the time of the incident. Just letting KI know that foul language is being used is enough. They do respond very quickly to these kind of reports.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
The girl you mention did nothing wrong. She followed the rules. Your friends and you did do something wrong. You broke the rules. You all took the time, effort and thought to type out everything you did. Just as the the people you quoted did.

Sorry when you are typing things that I can see it is not private. As pyrsik said so well I consider it all fair game. I do report and will not apologize for doing so. Everything we say out in the open and in private chat is logged. KI says the routinely read logs for unreported offenses. They also take action on offenses.

Everyone of us agreed to TOU and to follow them. The best thing to do is just that.

Megan

Survivor
Feb 27, 2010
Foul language is foul language, no matter where you use it. Wizard 101 is a CHILD'S GAME and should be foul language free. I always report bad language and if a member of my family (household) is caught by me using it in game, they get the game taken away from them until they can use the right language in the game, or i go into the master account and turn off their chat myself, giving them only the option to menu chat. To all players, if you are a foul mouth outside of wizard 101 that's your problem, but being a foul mouth in wizard 101 is the entire game's problem because if you are saying it in a public place, like the pvp arena, it is disrupting other players.

To the poster of this topic, I guess you should have stuck to just talking about it and not quoting it. Just talking about it (without using the language) is probably not a violation, you deserved to get reported when you started quoting the other players foul language.

Two wrongs will never make a right.

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
if you didnt want people in your business you should go talk in your house. You were in a public area even though you thought it was empty. The girl was well in her rights to report you. I must say I would have done the same.

ellie