Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The new life spell called: Guardian spirit

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 06, 2010
The life spell "Guardian spirit does not work on a defeated wizard i tried it on a wizard and it just made me pass

Explorer
Jan 03, 2011
batistapopal619 wrote:
The life spell "Guardian spirit does not work on a defeated wizard i tried it on a wizard and it just made me pass

Simply put guardian spirit is not a heal as much as it is safety net. You put it on players that are alive and they get revived when they die.

Administrator
The Guardian Spirit spell is considered to be a utility spell ( Manipulation ) not a healing spell so defeated wizards aren’t considered valid targets.

community@wizard101.com
Defender
Apr 26, 2009
With this spell, life should rule at pvp now. My friend used it on me and it was awesome.

Jessica Shadowhunter

Survivor
Jan 06, 2010
oh.. i get it thx now i think life is even more better!

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
Yes Life will rule pvp now- can't kill someone who uses guardian spirit every chance they get and then they heal to full health with it by the time the gear boost ect- Right, real fair to say oh death wizards who get bad juju where they have to hurt themselves to get a weakness that players can just wand off- real fair right?? Now life can just spam this spell and keep raising from the dead, time and time again.. & people were worried about the BAD bad juju spell- i don't even see death wizards wanting to use this. This game just isn't even fun no more when pvp is being ruined, and really for high level wizards, pvp is all that is left!! Honestly i would think Raising from the dead would be a DEATH spell but whatever.

Defender
Feb 23, 2010
jakehjk3 wrote:
Yes Life will rule pvp now- can't kill someone who uses guardian spirit every chance they get and then they heal to full health with it by the time the gear boost ect- Right, real fair to say oh death wizards who get bad juju where they have to hurt themselves to get a weakness that players can just wand off- real fair right?? Now life can just spam this spell and keep raising from the dead, time and time again.. & people were worried about the BAD bad juju spell- i don't even see death wizards wanting to use this. This game just isn't even fun no more when pvp is being ruined, and really for high level wizards, pvp is all that is left!! Honestly i would think Raising from the dead would be a DEATH spell but whatever.

Here's a thought: make a new wizard. Every account can have up to six wizards on it. If you've taken your first wizard all the way through Avalon and finished all the quests, then make a wizard from a different school. Not only will you have a lot to do, you'll learn to fight in a new way. Besides, while I know there are a lot of people who really love PVP, it's a bonus. The core of the game is PVE...the quests we do to progress through the story. You may complain about how Guardian Spirit is used in PVP, but it could save you in a major boss battle in PVE. Enjoy PVP all you can, but remember that it's a bonus game within the game that adds additional value to your membership. KI should never focus on it to the point that they're removing things useful in PVE just so that people won't complain about it's effects in PVP.

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
No-One should "have to make a new wizard." Do you know how silly your idea is??

Again, I don't think anyone has a problem with guardian sprite when we are playing the Actual questing games..

When high level wizards have nothing left to do they turn to pvp.. This is where the issues come in, because it is a totally unfair spell in pvp.. FACT!!

I'm not about to make another wizard b/c I shouldn't have to- that's outrageous and I don't have the time- I picked my death for a reason.

If they want to keep this spell around- fine with me- but make it available for everyone as a treasure card- OHHH but wait I have already seen life people begging this not be a treasure card.. Why is that?? Point proven.

Everyone uses death's good spells like sacrafice and infection but we can't use guardian sprite- right.. nice try.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
stanklepoot wrote:
Here's a thought: make a new wizard. Every account can have up to six wizards on it. If you've taken your first wizard all the way through Avalon and finished all the quests, then make a wizard from a different school. Not only will you have a lot to do, you'll learn to fight in a new way. Besides, while I know there are a lot of people who really love PVP, it's a bonus. The core of the game is PVE...the quests we do to progress through the story. You may complain about how Guardian Spirit is used in PVP, but it could save you in a major boss battle in PVE. Enjoy PVP all you can, but remember that it's a bonus game within the game that adds additional value to your membership. KI should never focus on it to the point that they're removing things useful in PVE just so that people won't complain about it's effects in PVP.

Yes, thanks, Stanklepoot (I love to type that!) It's nice to see someone call the situation as it is, without the drama.

PvP is NOT the central focus of most players in Wizard 101, and KI should not ruin our spells just to make PvP'ers happy. Honestly, I think they just can't stand the idea that Theurgists aren't easy defeats in PvP anymore, and that makes them upset.

The idea that it's all about high level players is erroneous; the game is home to many players in the mid-to-lower levels. Make a new wizard and check it out. It's amazing how different each magic school is, and how much can be learned from trying out a new strategy.

As the proud human equivalent of 4 high level wizards, I don't find it at all outrageous to suggest that someone fly a mile on my broom. Train a theurgist, then suggest corrections to life spells. Until you've been in our position, you have no idea what spells are most useful to us in PvE.

Again, KI, please don't nerf our new spell due to PvP Outrage.

Regards,

Qbb/Iridian Shadowweaver, Theurgist

PS: Also, KI, please stop making Theurgy spells available to anyone who wants to buy one. It's insulting to Theurgists to see our spells shared out as if they are not special markers of our prowess as healers.

Defender
Feb 23, 2010
jakehjk3 wrote:
No-One should "have to make a new wizard." Do you know how silly your idea is??

Again, I don't think anyone has a problem with guardian sprite when we are playing the Actual questing games..

When high level wizards have nothing left to do they turn to pvp.. This is where the issues come in, because it is a totally unfair spell in pvp.. FACT!!

I'm not about to make another wizard b/c I shouldn't have to- that's outrageous and I don't have the time- I picked my death for a reason.

If they want to keep this spell around- fine with me- but make it available for everyone as a treasure card- OHHH but wait I have already seen life people begging this not be a treasure card.. Why is that?? Point proven.

Everyone uses death's good spells like sacrafice and infection but we can't use guardian sprite- right.. nice try.

You don't HAVE to make a new wizard. I was simply pointing out that KI has set the game up so that you can have up to six wizards on just one account. I'm glad you love your Necromancer, but each school has its pluses and minuses, and mastering as many of the different styles of play will not only help you be more effective in the way you play, it'll give you a much better understanding of how wizards from other schools will most likely act. There's really no need to make it sound like creating another wizard is some horrible requirement. I've had grandmasters from every school, and currently have Archmages in Storm, Life, and Fire and Legendary Wizards in Death and Balance. If you don't want to take advantage of the extra value KI has given all of us as a part of our subscription, then that's your choice. If you choose not to, however, then you need to realize that it takes time for KI to plan out and develop new worlds. There's quite a bit that goes into it, from storylines, to enemies, to the way our wizards level up. So, if you stick with just one wizard, you'll have much more down time than the rest of us. Again, that's your choice.

Now, as for your FACT that Guardian Spirit is unfair, what about Medusa? Medusa stuns for two rounds, and that can be absolutely deadly in combat. Ice has ridiculous levels of resistance. Every school has special traits that, if used well, can give them an advantage in battle. As for Guardian Spirit itself, it kind of balances out the fact that Life attacks are weak, and there are few actual attack options. A life wizard's big advantage in battle is that it can take a bunch of hits and keep going as long as it can heal itself. Guardian Spirit is an extension of that. then again, no offense, but I don't really care about your complaint because I don't play PVP. I've done it a handful of times and did well enough at it, but there were simply too many players there who were just no fun to play with. I play Wizard101 to have fun, not to get into stupid arguments or listen to people try to trash others.

Oh, and as for Life wizards not wanting Guardian Spirit to be a treasure card, are you really surprised? All along their sole advantage was healing. Now, with life mastery amulets and some treasure cards, any wizard can heal almost as well as a life wizard (with the exception of the chance to critical on healing spells). Is it really so odd that they want to have at least one thing that no one else can do?

Survivor
Dec 03, 2011
queenlybluebean wrote:
stanklepoot wrote:

Yes, thanks, Stanklepoot (I love to type that!) It's nice to see someone call the situation as it is, without the drama.

PvP is NOT the central focus of most players in Wizard 101, and KI should not ruin our spells just to make PvP'ers happy. Honestly, I think they just can't stand the idea that Theurgists aren't easy defeats in PvP anymore, and that makes them upset.

The idea that it's all about high level players is erroneous; the game is home to many players in the mid-to-lower levels. Make a new wizard and check it out. It's amazing how different each magic school is, and how much can be learned from trying out a new strategy.

As the proud human equivalent of 4 high level wizards, I don't find it at all outrageous to suggest that someone fly a mile on my broom. Train a theurgist, then suggest corrections to life spells. Until you've been in our position, you have no idea what spells are most useful to us in PvE.

Again, KI, please don't nerf our new spell due to PvP Outrage.

Regards,

Qbb/Iridian Shadowweaver, Theurgist

PS: Also, KI, please stop making Theurgy spells available to anyone who wants to buy one. It's insulting to Theurgists to see our spells shared out as if they are not special markers of our prowess as healers.

I agree. A LOT of our hitting spells aren't as powerful without blades, traps, strengtheners, ect. We have no over time spells thus causing us to delay in hitting so that we can set ourselves up to get a good hit in. But it's made more challenging by the fact that we keep having to use our pips to heal ourselves thus prolonging the amount of time it takes for us to get just one effective shot in. I personally don't do PVP as I have too much fun questing. But think about this... How many times will you do a group PVP and ask a LIFE wizard to join you to keep you alive? I'm at level 78 now, just starting out in Avalon because of the amount of times I have been called on, by my friends, to go and help them in their quests. I was starting Zafaria at level 72 and everyone automatically thought I was able to go to Avalon. Lifers give up our time in our quests to help our friends because that's who we are. We don't complain about it and we actually enjoy doing it. To finally have a spell that can give us an extra edge is fantastic! And having other wizards to train makes the game so much more fun because you learn to adapt to a different fighting method than what you usually would do. This game is not centred around PVP. But the way some PVP'ers talk, I'm glad I stay away from it! If you don't want to fight against life, then don't. Simple as that. I for one am glad lifers have a new healing spell to look forward to!

Survivor
Apr 02, 2010
The spell is Spirit Guardian, not Guardian Sprite.
Just to be clear, so everyone's on the same page: Guardian Sprite is a minion spell that summons a Sprite minion to help lower level Theurgist's in battle.

Sprit Guardian is the new spell that is the topic of this discussion. If cast upon a player (it would show as a type of halo encircling above the player whom it was cast upon), then that player would receive an extra layer of protection should they get defeated. It is useless unless that player gets defeated. It adds no extra healing or shields them from damage. It merely allows a defeated player to return from their defeat, at only 25% their original health. Oh excuse me, at 15% their original health. It was 25% in the test realm.

K.I. has a responsibility to its players to maintain balance in the spiral. Every school has its own unique strengths, and its own unique weaknesses. As wizards in training, it is our responsibility to identify these strengths and weaknesses, learn how to utilize them to the best of our ability, and adapt to changes as they are introduced. While Wizard101's main arena is PvE, it has also added the PvP arena for players to go and hone their craft, practice using new spells, and trying out new strategies, all while building their skillset and earning higher ranking titles.

For the PVP community, some enhancements to the game are met with resistance, while others are met with open arms. The Spirit Guardian spell has been met by this community with great resistance. And rightfully so (to a degree). I can totally understand how a PvP player who has just defeated a theurgist (or a member of the theurgist's team), has their celebration interrupted by the shocking discovery of seeing this player now back from the dead. It becomes a 'new challenge' to them to have to defeat this player again once and for all.

For the theurgist in the PvE community, it has become quite common in the spiral to meet up with bosses who can render a wizard lifeless in a matter of just a couple short rounds. For schools that have a lower attack rating (i.e. Life School), the Spirit Guardian becomes a life-line for them; a safety rope if you will. Something to keep them from falling to their utter demise after one fail swoop of a wand from an opposing force.

So consider, if you will, a wizard who enters a boss fight with 3000 health. Most bosses are starting off with 8-10 pips (4-5 power pips); the first cast of their wand could be Medusa, which will stun poor theurgist for two entire rounds. Within those two rounds, that boss could easily throw another hit or two and now said wizard has been completely defeated without having had the chance to cast a single spell. Consider then that maybe this wizard was lucky enough to gage 5 pips and cast the Spirit Guardian spell on himself. This enables him one last ditch effort at recovery and redemption.
But wait! There's more!

This wizard just spent 5 pips to recover at only 15% of their health. Let's do the math: 3000 x 15% = 450. At 25% (test realm Spirit Guardian), that equates to 750, improving their odds somewhat, but still not great.

PvP'ers seem to have an issue with theurgists "spamming" this spell. Um, hello PvPers! It takes a couple/few rounds to build up 5 pips again. Spamming this spell would not only be difficult, but renders the theurgist completely unable to do much of anything else while they need to build those pips again, thus putting them at risk of further damage, or death (should they decide to favor building pips over healing themselves).

PvE'ers have an issue with this spell having been "nerfed" from 25% to 15% now due to the outrage from the PvP community. I think the decision to change the return rate from 25% to 15% proves a disservice to the Theurgist community, who really did need a spell of this type in order for them to keep up with the advances other schools were receiving.

So again consider the wizard who has just returned from the dead at only 15% their health, or 450 health. Every school has a Rank 4 spell (4 pip cost) that could easily eliminate that player who returned, giving them pretty much no chance at all at recovery. Their last kick at the bucket swiftly removed from within reach.

But consider they return at 25%, or 750 health. That rank 4 spell might be a bit more difficult to eliminate them, making that bucket just a little bit more within reach.

In the PvE world, it still remains a large challenge for that wizard to be able to build their pips again enough to carry forward on their chance at survival (remember now, they lost ALL their pips when they got axed). The Spirit Guardian was clearly designed for those times when the wizard may not have the advantage of teammates to help him, or crowns to purchase henchmen to help him, and has to solo his battles, particularly those boss battles where the bosses come out swinging with big hits.

In the PvP community, again it adds another element of challenge to the whole battle. The defeated player gets another chance (albeit a weak one) and the opposing side needs to merely adjust their strategy.

Sure a great divide has occurred between the PvP and PvE communities - this divide will only increase as levels increase and spells become stronger. It is K.I.'s job to keep this gap bridged or provide safeguards to ensure a happy viable spiral, for all the communities that reside within.

I don't think that nerfing, or in my words "dumbing down", the Guardian Spirit spell was the right approach. Obviously a great deal of thought and planning went into the development of the spell in the first place. For a Life Wizard to spend 5 pips on a "slight chance" at survival is a huge risk - it was risky at a 25% return; it's a much higher risk at only a 15% return. 15% will only prolong the agony of defeat, whereas 25% would at least provide a bit of a chance (and not necessarily an 'extra edge').

If change really is required to ensure a balance between the schools where the Guardian Spirit spell is concerned, then perhaps a change to restrict how it is used in PvP or not allowed in PvP at all. But to kill 10% of its value for the soloing PvE'er and keep the pip cost the same, just renders the spell completely useless, in my opinion.

Destiny
Transcendent Theurgist
Transcendent Sorcerer
Archmage Necromancer

Survivor
Mar 25, 2012
First of all guardian spirit's percentage has been lowered two times. First it was 50% than it was 25% and now its 15%. What is the point of having guardian spirit if it keeps getting lowered. I suggest if you dont make the percentage higher, than give us a new life spell.