Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ice or Death?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 20, 2011
Hey guys, I was wondering what school you think is best. Ice or Death? I'm having a hard time picking, so I'm just going to see how many votes they get and pick a random one.

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
MythCelestial wrote:
Hey guys, I was wondering what school you think is best. Ice or Death? I'm having a hard time picking, so I'm just going to see how many votes they get and pick a random one.

these both could be considered the hard schools of magic meaning hardest to get the hand of and become good at
really depends on your style
necromancers are soooo easy to solo with and you rarely will need health
better for wizards that like control over the field and dont worry bout health as much as long as you gain power
ice is for those that just want to absorb hits and shield off hits but are weak in damage terms and not so good for soloing

overall pick what sounds better to you

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
MythCelestial wrote:

Attack-wise, Ice and Death are equal in strength... it all depends on how you like to play.

If you are a team-player and want to take on a "tank" role, go with Ice. They're practically immortal, though their base damage/accuracy isn't that great (though it can be improved later with gear boosts). Tara, my journeyman thaumaturge, is pretty durable; she still fizzles a lot, but can take a ton of damage and, as a result, has never died in combat.

On the other hand, Death is a trap-heavy class that requires extensive buffing, in order to be effective. It gets harder after Dragonspyre (my necro, Valerian, is level 54 and has completely lost his footing in Celestia), but it's a good school to be in if you're patient and don't mind taking a few extra rounds to build up an insane hit (as of now, Val's highest damage is 12,500 to a Life boss in CL- not even my Storm wiz has hit that high yet).

Good luck deciding!

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
LOL Sorry, I have both of those schools and love them both. My ice has awesome health and her upper level attacks (especially with boosts, such as gargantuan and colossal) really pack a wollop. Only minus was the fizzle rate when she was lower level.
My death wizard is equally awesome, just doesn't have as high a health. But her fizzle rate is quite low.

Survivor
Apr 05, 2011
well, weigh out the perks and problems of each...

Death: decent health at higher levels, lots of half-healing and a healing card, very powerful and has high accuracy, plus death wizards are kinda cool :P/ problems: lots of un needed weird and crazy spells, kinda hard to get spells(not from [training point ones] teacher)

Ice: low attack power, very high health and lots of shields, pretty cool pet :), good accuracy/ problems: very weak when attacking, no healing unless you take life (I think), i find it pretty hard to solo

so, I'd personally go with death (Grandmaster necromancer :) ) but it's really up to you :) i find soloing with death wizards a lot easier because we can gain health when we attack :) and we get a blade quicker than ice...

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
MythCelestial wrote:

Death - it's fun to play with all the get back spells, Ice if you want more of a challenge.

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
My only character is a death wizard, so I can only comment on that.
The greatest asset of a death wizard is the drain spells. Healing while you attack allows you to solo much easier that with other classes.
When I picked death, I picked it for the drain, accuracy (85% base) and amount of buffs that death gets.
If you like to (or have to) solo a lot, death would be a very good choice.
One big downside is that you get your first AoE spell at level 48, so your battles may last longer until you get an AoE.

Survivor
Aug 17, 2010
MythCelestial wrote:

Death, Death, Death, Death, and Death. LOL. Does that count as five votes?

Delver
Aug 12, 2009
It depends on your play style, but my favorite of the two is Death.

Devin Darksong – lvl 65 Death
Digby Darksong – lvl 60 Life
Duncan Darksong – lvl 60 balance
Dylan Darksong – lvl 60 Storm
Dustan Darksong – lvl 60 Myth
Dolan Darksong – lvl 60 Ice

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
I have Balance (L77), Ice (L60), Death (L42), Myth (L13), Storm (L6), and Fire (L6).

Death is pretty cool to play with, but I agree, that it takes a bit more buffing to get the damage you need.

Ice is a tank. I enjoy playing this one as well, maybe a little more than Death. At the higher levels, when you get decent gear and spells, your damage can be pretty high. It's tough going up against another Ice, so my second school is Death .... :)

Defender
Sep 18, 2009
At low levels, death has higher accuracy (85% -vs- 80%), you getter better attack boosts on gear, and you get your blade spell a lot sooner, which is great for the drain and heal spells. Death can be one of the easier classes to solo with.
At high levels, Ice has much higher health, accuracy in the 90's (my level 70 ice is at 96% accuracy while my level 78 death is still at85%), higher defense and higher group attack damage. With a spritely pet, healing is seldom necessary. She also now has 4 stackable blades from spells, gear and pet, making for some pretty powerful group attacks.

So both have great perks. Of the 2, I think I like death better, just because I can heal myself OR someone else (using sacrifice), but I wouldn't say it is the easier class once your level hits the mid 50's or so.

Try them both and see.

Explorer
Aug 21, 2010
IMO both are slow schools, and if you solo the whole spiral, you will find it rather long and tedious. But on the other hand, both are killers at PvP, ice especially, and if you learn how to use them properly will get you warlord in no time.

The other side is storm, which will breeze through most of the PvE (yes even with its low life), but when it comes to PvP, storm really can't compete with ice. Unless you are really skilled at PvPing with storm (as i am)

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
grvy123 wrote:
MythCelestial wrote:

these both could be considered the hard schools of magic meaning hardest to get the hand of and become good at
really depends on your style
necromancers are soooo easy to solo with and you rarely will need health
better for wizards that like control over the field and dont worry bout health as much as long as you gain power
ice is for those that just want to absorb hits and shield off hits but are weak in damage terms and not so good for soloing

overall pick what sounds better to you
Not true. I soloed well on my ice, who is my third wizard, and wasn't defeated until DS when they got me for the first time ever. They had my death wizard in KT.

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
Go with life cause with the new guardian sprite spell they just return from the dead over and over again. No one can kill them. & they don't even have to attack but once to win.

Explorer
May 10, 2009
This depends on how you like to play out your cards. If you like defense more, you will love Ice. If you like to attack more, you will love Death. In my opinion, I like to defend my friends more so I like Ice better. They are both good for solo, if you use your cards correctly. So, choose whatever you want. It's your choice.

Survivor
Feb 23, 2012
i would say ice, death is good too but ice is my favorite :)
am currently in Avalon (in the wild)... and my ice has never lost a battle.. i soloed till date. i does soon ice has a weaker damage but if you can buff up and train the astral schools right... it is powerful. all you need is patience :)
the best ting about ice is the high resist and with right gears you can get perfect accuracy too.. if not get the accuracy astral spells and you'll be good to go :)
death on the other hand has decent health, low fizzle rate but after the mid lvl50s it kinda gets a bit difficult. besides, death gets its first AoE at 48... so thats a major drawback
but thats my opinion :)
try playing both, both are awesome with right strategies
Good luck!

Miranda- Archmage Pyromancer
Vanessa- Archmage Thaumaturge
Destiny- Archmage Necromancer
Cheryl- Transcendent Theurgist
Alexis-Transcendent Conjurer
Alicia- Transcendent Diviner

Survivor
Nov 21, 2010
I myself prefer Death over Ice.

My Death is the first wizard I created. And I enjoy playing her tremendously.
My Ice was my fourth. He is fun, but not as much as my Death.

Death was tougher for me. Maybe because she was my first and I was still learning as I played her. Plus all the gear choices now, were not available back then.

Ice went easier, because of all the gear choices I had.
Between the high HP and the tower shield, he is very durable.

My Death wizard is level 80 and my Ice wizard is level 70.

Survivor
Jun 16, 2009
Death for sure (Lvl 48 Death Mary Owl ) I do not have a reason why but Death is better for sure Life is awesome too.

My short reason why is i'm a lvl 48 death with life as my second school. Is that a good enough reason lol .