Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Mana Burn?

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
I just got the spell a few minutes ago, tried it out for the first time... and I'm really confused!

#1- it's only useful if you have first-cast advantage. If you don't, the enemy will throw something big at you and leave you with no pips to take.

#2- that's what happened while I was fighting the harlequin knight down on High Road. BUT, in addition, the spell took my pips but did NO damage at all. NOTHING. NADA. ZILCH. Is the spell broken, or just useless?

For the first time since level 60, I (as a sorcerer) feel like we were really ripped off here.

L.S.
Lv. 74 Balance

Survivor
Aug 05, 2010
Same here!!!! I think this spell is useless and for a spell that is that useless, I think it should be less than 5 pips.

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
Sigh you people don't seem to understand this spell. Mana Burn is a spell that requires timing you need to guess when your opponent will attack so you use the spell before that happens.

You don't see death complaining about beguile being a useless spell it only works if you opponent will attack so its about timing. You will learn a thing or two if you use it enough. -.-

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
brians5 wrote:
Same here!!!! I think this spell is useless and for a spell that is that useless, I think it should be less than 5 pips.

Oh, you'll love this: I just used Mana Burn on an enemy who, even though I took his pips, still hit me with a 6-pip spell... Something definitely isn't right here.

A few minutes later, I was helping a friend in Dragonspyre and just kept spamming Malistaire with Mana Burn... It took his pips, but he didn't hit me with a skeletal pirate /after/ I took them (which is what happened in Avalon, versus Flavel), which makes me think that this may be an isolated incident. But I've had all manner of issues with the spell, and am starting to get annoyed.

KI, please fix this- you wouldn't want the entire Balance school to revolt, would you?

Vive la resistance!

El Veeb/Laura Shadowsong
transcendent sorceress

Survivor
Dec 20, 2011
I have used this spell several times removing pips and the opponent still cast the spell. So can someone explain how this spell is suppose to work? If you cast mana burn on an opponent do they get to cast the spell they have already chosen or should that eliminate the spell, also I have taken all pips away and stll the opponent cast a spell. So please give me an answer. Thanks :(

Survivor
Nov 08, 2009
Survivor
Aug 12, 2009
its horrible for pve and awesome for pvp. it put balance higher on the pvp scale and helped fix the 1st vs 2nd barrier imo. also works great on bosses in avalon that start with 14 pips.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
shadow217354 wrote:
its horrible for pve and awesome for pvp. it put balance higher on the pvp scale and helped fix the 1st vs 2nd barrier imo. also works great on bosses in avalon that start with 14 pips.

I agree with you- as someone pointed out on another board, the new Balance spells were designed for PvP... great, for those who play it, and terrible for those of us who don't.

The main problems people seem to be having with this spell, myself included:

1. it takes the pips, but the opponent still casts for free;
2. it takes the pips, but doesn't do any damage (card says 80/pip)

It's not a matter of "not understanding" the spell, as Snowy said. I know how it's supposed to work, and it isn't doing its job.

That said, I finally did get it to work in PvE- it only worked properly the once, but I did get a nice critical off for 2000 damage. If only it did what it was supposed to do, ALL the time.

Survivor
Aug 20, 2009
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
KyleSChen wrote:
so I shouldn't look forword to mana burn?

I wouldn't go that far... it has its moments. I once got a nice critical off with blades and Amp, for 2K damage. That's the only time it ever worked properly for me. :/

Otherwise, it just lets your opponent cast high-rank spells for no pips.

Survivor
Oct 17, 2009
NO, manaburn is junk, when i go first and kill pips the other players attack still plays. better off using shields.

Survivor
Feb 20, 2011
vonawesome1 wrote:
I just got the spell a few minutes ago, tried it out for the first time... and I'm really confused!

#1- it's only useful if you have first-cast advantage. If you don't, the enemy will throw something big at you and leave you with no pips to take.

#2- that's what happened while I was fighting the harlequin knight down on High Road. BUT, in addition, the spell took my pips but did NO damage at all. NOTHING. NADA. ZILCH. Is the spell broken, or just useless?

For the first time since level 60, I (as a sorcerer) feel like we were really ripped off here.

L.S.
Lv. 74 Balance
HEY! im balance level 73! and dont have mana burn, ive done GH and WT and no quests... can you please help me i got both spells from erik and still nothing! PLEASE HELP!!!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
deathwish2011 wrote:
vonawesome1 wrote:

L.S.
Lv. 74 Balance
HEY! im balance level 73! and dont have mana burn, ive done GH and WT and no quests... can you please help me i got both spells from erik and still nothing! PLEASE HELP!!!

Hey, Deathwish!

In order to get Mana Burn, you must:

-be level 72+ (which you mentioned you are);
-have completed your spell quests for Elemental Defuse, Spirit Defuse, and Availing Hands;
-complete the quest "No Pain, No Agravaine" in Avalon.

Recommended reading:
http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Spell:Mana_Burn

Honestly, it's not that great~ my archmage sorceress doesn't even keep it (or Supernova, for that matter) in her deck at all. Until KI fixes the obvious flaws, these spells are meant for PvP and, therefore, useless to me.

Good luck, though!

El Veeb/Shadowsong
archmage sorceress/crusher of hopes and dreams.

Survivor
Jul 13, 2009
unfair, what only balance can take pips? it's like storm gets only to attack and take blades away, still attack is still epic :-) i wish storm would get another cool thing like a stun, ice and fire can but why not storm?!?! are fire and ice supposed to be better than storm?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
lalalalalalalalala... wrote:
unfair, what only balance can take pips?

To be fair, Balance doesn't have a DoT, can't stun, and has no stackable, school-only blades/traps, either.

As I said, Mana Burn is a free cast for the enemy. It doesn't act like a dispel, because that might actually be useful.

It's like storm gets only to attack and take blades away, still attack is still epic :-)

Nope. Both Fire and Storm take blades away... but, in the future, don't hijack my threads, please & thanks.

i wish storm would get another cool thing like a stun, ice and fire can but why not storm?!?!

Wrong again. Storm, Ice, and Myth can stun~ the other schools cannot. But this isn't about that.

are fire and ice supposed to be better than storm?

That's a whole other thread. But no~ we're all pretty equal~ Storm and Fire can hit big, at the expense of accuracy and health; Ice's base-damage is weak, but they make up for it with their infinite health and resistance.

El Veeb