Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

When team PvP hands you lemons...

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Someone on another board recently said that PvP is "proof of who's stronger". As a total PvP-noob (as I'll probably get called once this post goes through), I have to wonder- how much of it is strategy/skill, and how much is just dumb luck?

Things to consider:

1. who you get teamed with (I have never played 1v1),
2. who fizzles when
3. first-cast advantage

All of these play a huge part in who wins. Skill is definitely an asset, but it's not the deciding factor in these matches, IMO.

For example, I went into a random 3v3 recently. We were all level 70, and teams were:

#1: Me (a sorcerer), a pyromancer, and a diviner.
#2: A conjurer, theurgist, and thaumaturge.

We had first-cast advantage, but that was it. Our Storm had only 2100 health and was knocked out before she even got a shot off, so I ended up having to be the tank AND the healer.

On the other side, Myth just spammed Earthquake (no buffing for us) and Life cast Rebirth every few rounds; in my humble noob's opinion, that's not strategy or skill- it's a cheap cop-out. Plus, Ice is immortal, so the whole fight was rather one-sided.... only good part is that I was the last one to die... LOL.

-

Afterwards, I wondered if there was anything we could have done differently... and hit a wall. Because, honestly, there was nothing we could have changed- we were outmatched, pure and simple.

I really don't like PvP, but I'd like to give that other team their comeuppance, should we ever cross paths again. So, my question is... how do we avoid a repeat incident?

El Veeb/Shadowsong
transcendent sorceress & team-PvP noob.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
LOL. I have to laugh, because I'm basically a noob when it comes to PVP as well, and have wondered the same thing .... is it truly skill, or dumb luck.

When I first started playing, I did about 5 PVP 1v1 battles. I won some, however, I had such a bad experience because I was taunted, bullied, and 'cursed' at before, during and after the battles, that I stopped playing.

I'm a level 74 Sorcerer, so I think you and I should get together and see if we can tame the savage beasts (LOL).

One of the things I noticed in the teams, you ended up with the two schools that fizzle the most. The other team had a 'shatterer', a 'healer', and a 'tank'. Sounds to me like their team plays together in PVP matches.

Hopefully, some people will jump in and give intelligent answers ...... I know I can't !!!

Rowan Dragonstrider

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
In pvp, it is a combination of skill and luck:

Luck:
The order of cards you recieve as the game progresses
When you fizzle
When your opponent fizzles
If your cards come in time
and etc

But if your skilled, you can manipulate and use the luck system to your advantage, tkae each card and determine it's uses and etc.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
QueQueg wrote:
I'm a level 74 Sorcerer, so I think you and I should get together and see if we can tame the savage beasts (LOL).

So am I- sounds like a plan!

My wizard's name is Laura Shadowsong- she wears a lot of red, flies a purple glider or nightflame pegasus, and hangs out on the Lincoln server (or Wraith, if that's full). We should totally go for a 2v2 sometime. :)

QueQueg wrote:
One of the things I noticed in the teams, you ended up with the two schools that fizzle the most. The other team had a 'shatterer', a 'healer', and a 'tank'. Sounds to me like their team plays together in PVP matches.

Yeah, it just seemed a little too lucky to be "random", which leads me to wonder how random the "random" teams are.

Thanks for commiserating. :P

Explorer
Apr 27, 2011
The battle system is really terrible, and of course the PvP system is one of the worst from all mmorpg games.

The system has never been fair nor balanced...

1st turn advantage... Stun chain, exploit of glitches, and exploit of unfair matches low level players and high level players...

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
ArmoredRaptor wrote:
The battle system is really terrible, and of course the PvP system is one of the worst from all mmorpg games.

1st turn advantage... Stun chain, exploit of glitches, and exploit of unfair matches low level players and high level players...

Agreed

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
vonawesome1 wrote:

So am I- sounds like a plan!

My wizard's name is Laura Shadowsong- she wears a lot of red, flies a purple glider or nightflame pegasus, and hangs out on the Lincoln server (or Wraith, if that's full). We should totally go for a 2v2 sometime. :)

I'm not sure if you were in Lincoln realm today, but I THINK I saw you, or someone that looked like you. Whomever it was, was riding their broom pretty hard, and I found it difficult to catch up to see if it was you ..... LOL

I'll stay in Lincoln realm and I'm playing every day. I'm going back and forth in Avalon from the Abbey to Dun Dora (that's as far as I've gotten so far).

Rowan Dragonstrider ..... rides a Bruin Ram, wearing purple/black turban and costume, with my Judgement pet, named Angel (in case I ditched the mount and am standing around with my finger up my nose).

I think we should try PVP at least once together to see what happens .... :)

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
ArmoredRaptor wrote:

I wouldn't really say so. The first turn advantage, who cares? They use that in pokemon! Why not go complain to nintendo about it? Remember, wizard101 is like a game of cards, or even chess, you can't play at the same time, or it just wouldn't make any sense. The stun chain problem was fixed years ago There are no damage glitches in pvp, nor match-up glitches, so I don't know where you're getting this from.

Low levels vs. high levels? Yeah, if you don't set a level cap. Or even if you're a high rank at ranked pvp. There's absolutely no problem with that, because in practice pvp, level cap! Hooray! Why not just do that? Also, in ranked pvp, if you're fighting a lot higher levels then you, then your rank title wasn't meant to be one of your badge symbols yet. Everything takes time, and everything takes skill. In chess, is there not a first turn advantage? If you say no, why not? Because the second player can defend themselves before the first player attacks? :-o I never knew that! Yeah, we should have everyone go at the same time, it would make sense. The second player gets (Believe it or not) more of an advantage then the first player, why?

1. The first player usually think they have the game in the bag, so they hardly defend themselves, leaving an open space for the other wizard to defend themselves, making an offense vs. defense battle. That means that both players have a 50 50 percent chance of winning.

2. Now what? The second player has shielded, now the first player will just ram into the shields? No! No skilled player would unless they had armor piercing or a cover-up spell to breaking the shields. (Examples: Wands, DoT's, 2 pip spells, Shatter, Pierce, or just simply stealing the shield). Why would this be an advantage to the second player? Because the 1st player would be taunted to break the shields and then use a powerful spell.

3. While the 1st player uses a ram-into-shield-attack, the 2nd player will use a hard hit.

4. A Death wizard would simply heal off any damage taken when going second.

There are countless reasons why going 2nd gives you a major advantage...

Survivor
Aug 12, 2009
QueQueg wrote:
LOL. I have to laugh, because I'm basically a noob when it comes to PVP as well, and have wondered the same thing .... is it truly skill, or dumb luck.

When I first started playing, I did about 5 PVP 1v1 battles. I won some, however, I had such a bad experience because I was taunted, bullied, and 'cursed' at before, during and after the battles, that I stopped playing.

Hopefully, some people will jump in and give intelligent answers ...... I know I can't !!!

Rowan Dragonstrider

Lol, Us 3 i am a warlord at level 50 (now 70), no one cares about rank because of puppet teamers, so i wouldnt get your tail up in a naught

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
joujou11cool wrote:
ArmoredRaptor wrote:

I wouldn't really say so. The first turn advantage, who cares? They use that in pokemon! Why not go complain to nintendo about it? Remember, wizard101 is like a game of cards, or even chess, you can't play at the same time, or it just wouldn't make any sense. The stun chain problem was fixed years ago There are no damage glitches in pvp, nor match-up glitches, so I don't know where you're getting this from.

Low levels vs. high levels? Yeah, if you don't set a level cap. Or even if you're a high rank at ranked pvp. There's absolutely no problem with that, because in practice pvp, level cap! Hooray! Why not just do that? Also, in ranked pvp, if you're fighting a lot higher levels then you, then your rank title wasn't meant to be one of your badge symbols yet. Everything takes time, and everything takes skill. In chess, is there not a first turn advantage? If you say no, why not? Because the second player can defend themselves before the first player attacks? :-o I never knew that! Yeah, we should have everyone go at the same time, it would make sense. The second player gets (Believe it or not) more of an advantage then the first player, why?

1. The first player usually think they have the game in the bag, so they hardly defend themselves, leaving an open space for the other wizard to defend themselves, making an offense vs. defense battle. That means that both players have a 50 50 percent chance of winning.

2. Now what? The second player has shielded, now the first player will just ram into the shields? No! No skilled player would unless they had armor piercing or a cover-up spell to breaking the shields. (Examples: Wands, DoT's, 2 pip spells, Shatter, Pierce, or just simply stealing the shield). Why would this be an advantage to the second player? Because the 1st player would be taunted to break the shields and then use a powerful spell.

3. While the 1st player uses a ram-into-shield-attack, the 2nd player will use a hard hit.

4. A Death wizard would simply heal off any damage taken when going second.

There are countless reasons why going 2nd gives you a major advantage...

Going second is never an advantage. If you face a skilled enemy they will shield only fools would get over confident to going first. Dispels beguile and shields will work best when you go first. You get the picture. :|

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
vonawesome1 wrote:
Someone on another board recently said that PvP is "proof of who's stronger". As a total PvP-noob (as I'll probably get called once this post goes through), I have to wonder- how much of it is strategy/skill, and how much is just dumb luck?

Things to consider:

1. who you get teamed with (I have never played 1v1),
2. who fizzles when
3. first-cast advantage

All of these play a huge part in who wins. Skill is definitely an asset, but it's not the deciding factor in these matches, IMO.

For example, I went into a random 3v3 recently. We were all level 70, and teams were:

#1: Me (a sorcerer), a pyromancer, and a diviner.
#2: A conjurer, theurgist, and thaumaturge.

We had first-cast advantage, but that was it. Our Storm had only 2100 health and was knocked out before she even got a shot off, so I ended up having to be the tank AND the healer.

On the other side, Myth just spammed Earthquake (no buffing for us) and Life cast Rebirth every few rounds; in my humble noob's opinion, that's not strategy or skill- it's a cheap cop-out. Plus, Ice is immortal, so the whole fight was rather one-sided.... only good part is that I was the last one to die... LOL.

-

Afterwards, I wondered if there was anything we could have done differently... and hit a wall. Because, honestly, there was nothing we could have changed- we were outmatched, pure and simple.

I really don't like PvP, but I'd like to give that other team their comeuppance, should we ever cross paths again. So, my question is... how do we avoid a repeat incident?

El Veeb/Shadowsong
transcendent sorceress & team-PvP noob.

Alright I see some problems that you faced. One you choose to do a random team match for yourself which will ruin you. It is key that you know your team I do 2v2 and I will only play with certain people due to the fact that I know them and they know me and we have plans to take down the other team.

The second problem you faced was you were fighting a team that new what they were doing. The myth kept you from doing killing blows the life healed and I am guessing the ice just stacked until he had enough blades for a kill. What you have to do is either a pray to god and hope for a critical or b come up with a plan. What I would have done is made sure the storm lived long enough to hit the life you would all have to hit the life to kill. Then either use life dispels and gloom to keep the other team mates from bringing him back to life. Then kill the myth which shouldn't be too hard since they have low health. By that point you can handle the rest.
Now me personally I would use that first turn advantage to my advantage I am death so I would have used plages mixed with a beguile on the myth to ruin the other teams attack and allow my team to blade once they were bladed we would attack the life once life is down I throw doom up and my life partner starts putting up life dispels once healing is neutrilized I go for the myth then the ice.

In your situation I would expect to lose since none of you know each other I know I would lose in that situation if I didn't have my team. I hope I gave you some help you friend Ethan Titanhammer