Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

People asking you to Gift

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 29, 2009
Ok so usually it gets on my nerves to see people run around asking to be gifted. Even when you say no they still bother and bother you or everyone else. Somehow this should not be allowed.... It should be a reportable offense.. Today however did me in... I am sitting in the commons and there are at this moment at least four people who have been asking for over an hour. Not only are they asking one of them is saying his mom died so people should gift him. another its their birthday. over and over and over this is going on. Maybe because I'm an adult and value every precious penny but this really gets on my nerves. I've read several posts of people quitting the game because this is getting to be such a problem There has to be a way to stop this. I don't want to report and get in trouble for a false report so what can be done. Not only is the asking to be gifted relentless they are also very rude when you tell them no. And call you names etc..... does anyone else feel my pain.

Historian
May 01, 2010
There really is no way for people to stop this. Either remove it all together, and hurt the vast majority that gift because they want to, or make it blocked in the tect chat filter, which why block 'can you gift me', or other phrases like that (there are hundreds), and waste a bunch of time, or block 'gift' which is widely used outside of this. As for making it reportable: 2 friends, one is asking to gift them a prize from something. A common by-stander sees this and reports. There are countless other situations like that, so no, it 9/10 wont be reportable. The best ways to aviod this is to not really hang out in the commons, change realms, or if you have to, just put them on the ignore list.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Heather824 wrote:
Ok so usually it gets on my nerves to see people run around asking to be gifted. Even when you say no they still bother and bother you or everyone else. Somehow this should not be allowed.... It should be a reportable offense.. Today however did me in... I am sitting in the commons and there are at this moment at least four people who have been asking for over an hour. Not only are they asking one of them is saying his mom died so people should gift him. another its their birthday. over and over and over this is going on. Maybe because I'm an adult and value every precious penny but this really gets on my nerves. I've read several posts of people quitting the game because this is getting to be such a problem There has to be a way to stop this. I don't want to report and get in trouble for a false report so what can be done. Not only is the asking to be gifted relentless they are also very rude when you tell them no. And call you names etc..... does anyone else feel my pain.

There is a very simple solution, and one readily available to everyone: Ignore.
Just click on the beggar and choose ignore. There's no way I can see to stop it, especially for people with open text. This is one reason I go through the commons as quickly as possible. Way to much childishness there.

Delver
Apr 10, 2010

Oh yes, that was a new low when the person said his mom had died. I've never been faced with that. Yet. there's the folks who want to "be your friend" and first thing they do is ask to be gifted. EVEN after you tell them that you don't gift,( not even your own family) they will persist.

I actually don't mind giving some of my treasure cards to people sometimes. But the begging does seem to have gotten out of hand over the past months.

And let us not forget the old "I need a boy/girl" pleading too.
I just don't get it, I guess, because I'm one of those older players.

Just look for new potential friends, not someone who will give you something. Because strangely enough, I don't like being used.

Mastermind
Aug 10, 2011
Ok, not to be rude but,

This is a MMORPG. No matter what there is going to be people asking you to gift them. I am sorry, but it is gonna happen. You can't let it bother you.

If i were you, i would not quit such a wonderful game for beggars.

You can ignore them. I don't see why you should Report them. Yes, that would be False Reporting. The correct and mature thing to do is just Ignore them and/or walk away.

Do not call them names back, it will make it worse. And do not report them unless they start breaking the Rules.

Explorer
Dec 29, 2009
I play many MMORPG's and this does not happen in any of the games I play or ever have played. In fact I can't remember any other mmorpg I have played that even has a gifting system. So I'm not sure what games you are playing that this frequently happens in but I'm not aware of gifting in any mmorpg, but I have not played them all and I'm sure their is in a few... But people should not be forced out of an area because of someone constant nagging and rudeness.... And telling people your mother just dded to get a gift is sickening if it isn't the truth. And I can tell you from experience when my mother died I was not on a video game asking for gifts due to her death. Give me a break.....
And when you kindly tell someone no, and get all caps raged on it is unnecessary and if I had children and caught the behaving this disrespectfully to anyone it would not be tolerated.
And as for your attitude take it somewhere else. I wasn't rude in my post so it is uncalled for. Here is that disrespect thing I mentioned earlier.

Survivor
Jan 08, 2012
Well out of all the MMO"S we play i don't remember any gifting going on b/c everyone i played didn't even have the gifting option available, and that's over a dozen games, me and Heather(my wife) have played and , that's real money that people work for , when we were raised our parents would ground us for a month if we begged anyone for anything, that's just rude and anyone in their sane mind would say that it was just manners not to.

And the kid that asked me for a pack b/c his mother just died is just wrong, i don't care who you are that was offensive to me.

And now as long as im ingame i will put a stop to it in a peaceful manner ,but i can guarantee i wont get a good response, as usual i will be called a noob or to go !@#$ off b/c i didnt gift them, it is wrong offensive and dishonest, come KI what image do you really want.

It needs to be a bannable offense

And for Randomperson16 obviously you are a beggar too, do you have parents?
If so, why not ask them?
and if they don't why don't you earn your own money for it, that's real money dude adults work very hard for the little bit we earn and y'all think its free and just abundant.

*NEWS FLASH* its not just look at the economy i know you are that literate and you tell me where jobs are and where all this money is?

and just let me know what other game besides Navyfield that you can gift in.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
I feel your pain ..... believe me.

I swear, every time I hit the Commons, or run through it, I'm seeing people beg others to gift them. They will run all over the Commons, asking just about everyone. "It's my birthday" is the most common. Maybe it is their birthday (or not).

Most of the people that play are kids. They don't have the crowns to be gifting the people that beg. Even an adult doesn't have crowns to give away by gifting a beggar.

If I'm in the Commons and see a beggar, I will wait till they ask at least five people, then I will go up to them and very politely ask them to stop. For some that ask "why?", I let them know that many people don't have crowns to buy gifts to people, especially ones they don't know, plus I let them know in a nice way that it is very rude to beg. And then there are beggars that harass ...... trying to bully someone into gifting them. When that person says "no", sometimes I see the beggar use some choice, creative, wording that could easily be read as swear words.

I try to teach people about the 'ignore' button, and will suggest someone change realms and have their friends port to them (to get away from the harassing beggar), or if things get really bad, report the offender.

Even though I'm not an official 'monitor' or anything, I try to help out when others are getting harassed, bullied, etc. I've been in customer service for 30+ years. I've seen and heard just about everything. I believe in a Code of Conduct, both in real life and online.

The begging won't stop completely, but some of us can help those that are begging (being polite and informative), and those that are being harassed (again, being polite and informative).

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
well i would just ignore. you cant get in trouble and you dont have to gift them. usually i just tell all the people that add me these rules and if they break them at all i remove them:

1. no asking to be gifted
2.no begging for help on a boss/dungeon if i say no. no means no and you will either get a yes or a no, so no begging
3.no asking to hatch unless you are on the top of my friends list and i will let you know if you are
4.no constantly porting to me for no reason

this isnt really that bad its rather easy to follow seeing how i let them know this before i even add them. If they forgot, or werent listening or simply dont care, i remove them. its that easy

Survivor
Jan 08, 2012
jordannator, just to clarify we arent adding them they are just random players that leech off of other players which isnt fair i know its an MMO and the game wa designed to play and have help of other players but leeching is wrong.For those who wonder what I call a Leech, it is the beggars, and we arent adding them as friends but they can beg without that.

I will personally stop it....my wizards name is Blaze Shadowpants all you beggars beware

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
When people get obnoxious, I delete them; if they aren't friends, I ignore and change realms. Yes, it's annoying and horribly-rude, but I don't think that KI will ever make begging reportable.

Case in point: I was battling with someone the other day, who was actually a decent player, so I didn't bat an eyelash when he sent me a friend-request. In fact, it wasn't until a few hours later that I got a message from him asking for gifts- I told him no and, when he persisted, said that my gifting is turned off and will stay that way. I went on to block and delete him.

Jordanator makes a good point as well- begging for help constantly is just as annoying as being asked for items. I once had a guy on my friends'-list who did this, without ever reciprocating, and it got so bad that I was forced to delete him.

Just remember- it's *your* money, and only you can decide how you spend it (the exception to my no-gifting rule is my real-life best friend, who plays with me, and she doesn't beg me for stuff). When you tell someone no, you don't owe him/her an explanation- just block and change realms.

All the best,

L.S.
transcended sorceress & non-gifting wizard.

Defender
Feb 23, 2010
Heather824 wrote:

the irony is, that while you can't report them for constantly asking for gifts, you can report them for harassing or cursing at you if you refuse. Even it they get around the language blocks by using creative spelling, KI specifically states that doing so is a violation of the rules. So, refuse their requests or simply ignore them. If they start cursing or calling you names for doing so, then feel free to report them for that. I call it the Al Capone method. If you can't get them for the initial offense, then get them for the resulting offenses that spring up.

Defender
May 15, 2010
They are obviously lying. If your mother died, would the first thing you would think to do is get onto an online game and ask for sea dragons?

Delver
Jul 21, 2009
Heather824 wrote:
There has to be a way to stop this. I don't want to report and get in trouble for a false report so what can be done. Not only is the asking to be gifted relentless they are also very rude when you tell them no. And call you names etc..... does anyone else feel my pain.

Sure there is KI can just that ( can you gift me ) out of the game :P

On a real note, I really think it stinks and I hate it also best thing to do is put them on ignore and go on with your day.

Defender
May 17, 2011
I just nicely say that I do not have any crowns (even though I sometimes do) and offer them a decent treasure card. They often take it. If they still bother me after I give them the card, then on the ignore list they go! It is kinda lame when they go around saying that they only have three more months to live and thats why people should gift them. If they aren't lying, they should do something more worthwhile with their three months! So yeah, went off topic, but gifting questions are a problem.

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
slammer111 wrote:
There really is no way for people to stop this. Either remove it all together, and hurt the vast majority that gift because they want to, or make it blocked in the tect chat filter, which why block 'can you gift me', or other phrases like that (there are hundreds), and waste a bunch of time, or block 'gift' which is widely used outside of this. As for making it reportable: 2 friends, one is asking to gift them a prize from something. A common by-stander sees this and reports. There are countless other situations like that, so no, it 9/10 wont be reportable. The best ways to aviod this is to not really hang out in the commons, change realms, or if you have to, just put them on the ignore list.

dont talk to them but mention to them that beggers cant be choosers so if someone does gift they can only give what they want to gift
and if ya have 600 or so crowns to spare gift them a dream ghoul or whatever it is called and watch there face XD

best idea to hit ignore on them cause some cases can be really ubsetting afterwords

Defender
Nov 05, 2011
It seems that quite a few people DO ask for people to gift them, and this is what I say...

"Gifting costs crowns and crowns cost money. Why would we give stangers things worth money?"

And then there are the people who constatly ask "I need a boy/girl" it drives me NUTS NUTS NUTS! Sometimes I doubt the game is worth being called child friendly when that sort of language occurs, it's teaching children a bad lesson.

Jasmine IceBringer, hate to burst your bubble but I'm in Celestia

Defender
Oct 24, 2010
When i was a free to play player i sometimes will beg people to gift me rare items, and they just trick me on trading treasure cards (i really dont need them). But now i learn my lesson on stop asking people. And now people would beg me for stuff. I really feel scared when they keep asking me over and over again, because when people see people do things like begging they will copy their idea's and use on other people. That's what happen one day when some people was begging for a long time for treasure cards and crown stuff. etc, and when people saw it the idea spread around the game. So i guess it will never stop, and sometimes it waste my time just to say " sorry i can't gift you anything". All you have to do now is to ignore it :( .

Explorer
Jul 31, 2011
I agree 110% on this. We also wish KI would make Begging for Gifts (not Treasure cards, but I am talking crown items, hoard packs etc) a reportable and mutable offence. The gifting system is an okay system to have in place, but it is also something that is abused, maybe it needs to be restricted more similar to open chat, or removed all together. IF my daughter wants something I transfer crowns to her account so she can purchase what she wants, but I do sometimes surprise her with a gifted item, so when she logs on she sees that little package icon.... but it is just an extra feature that is not required nor helpful towards gameplay so maybe one day KI will check the logs of the constant begging and attached rudeness/harassment from those beggars and remove the gifting feature entirely. They say this is a family friendly, all age, and fair game, so maybe removing the gift feature would be best... one less unfriendly thing to worry about.

Remember, if you hang out in the commons you are bound to find all the drama, begging and dating site roleplay, just switch realms, hit ignore or stay out the the commons....

my business mind tells me KI will never ever remove gifting because users spend real money on crowns, so any feature that will encourage spending of more crowns will stay.