Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wow. Just wow. >_<

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
So, I was farming in DS the other day, and noticed that the bosses were spamming Black Mantle, instead of Weakness. Was there an update that we weren't made aware of? *is confused*

El Veeb/Shadowsong/Sestiva
transcended sorceress/master diviner

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
vonawesome1 wrote:
So, I was farming in DS the other day, and noticed that the bosses were spamming Black Mantle, instead of Weakness. Was there an update that we weren't made aware of? *is confused*

I guess since everyone complained about weakness being the number one spell used in DS they decided to replace it with Black Mantle now, even more fun, lol.

It seems to me that Wizard101 is headed more toward becoming a gamers game rather then a family fun one - not that any of my kids made it past Mooshu but just saying.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
brwac wrote:
vonawesome1 wrote:

I guess since everyone complained about weakness being the number one spell used in DS they decided to replace it with Black Mantle now, even more fun, lol.

It seems to me that Wizard101 is headed more toward becoming a gamers game rather then a family fun one - not that any of my kids made it past Mooshu but just saying.

It's true. Everything past DS is geared towards "professional" gamers, rather than the casual crowd- in spite of the weakness/mantle spamming, I adore Dragonspyre... After that, KI just went nuts with giving the monsters insane power. Bosses in Avalon have at least Malistaire's health and start with 10 pips; street mobs have 8- at this level, it's nothing I can't handle, but I can't imagine how a child (say, my nephew's age) would feel about it.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
vonawesome1 wrote:
It's true. Everything past DS is geared towards "professional" gamers, rather than the casual crowd- in spite of the weakness/mantle spamming, I adore Dragonspyre... After that, KI just went nuts with giving the monsters insane power. Bosses in Avalon have at least Malistaire's health and start with 10 pips; street mobs have 8- at this level, it's nothing I can't handle, but I can't imagine how a child (say, my nephew's age) would feel about it.

This is possibly true. Although my oldest son finished DS and enjoyed it, he has yet to finish CL, and is completely disinterested in Avalon. His tween self is simply unwilling to make the effort necessary to work in those areas, even with a companion. At this point, his year-length sub is wasted cash :(

I may take it for my own. LOL, I would have an extra Legendary Pyromancer to help in Avalon. Hmm..

Anyway, I think your observation is accurate, @vonawesome1. The higher level worlds require patience, strategy, and discipline. I see fewer and fewer youth players in CL and WT. We'll see with Avalon. Maybe the story line will renew their interest in the game. I hope so; it would be so nice to quest with my Hunter Skullthief again :)

Regards,

Qbb

Defender
Sep 18, 2009
Yeah, My son was excited about Zafaria when it came out. He played for an hour the first day it was in live realm and hasn't played the game since. He has no interest in Avalon. When he saw me get hit by a critical Storm Lord (stunned) by enemy 1, a critical 1000 point insane bolt by enemy 2, (skipped due to stun), then another critical 1000 point insane bolt from enemy one followed by a critical Triton from enemy 2, killing me before I even got a turn (thanks to a temporarily non-functional crit block), he just slumped his shoulders and walked away. It just isn't fun for a young child to have to do strategic planning for every battle.

On the other hand, this game has a massive adult player base and they repeatedly cry fowl when things are made easier. They seem to think this needs to be a hard-core game in order to be interesting. And a lot f them don't seem to remember what it was like to be a young child whose brain is not wired for plotting every move in battle for 5-6 turns ahead of time.

I love Avalon as an adult player, but so far, I have only met one leveled up player there who I believe was under 10 years old. Lots of menu chat level 30-ish who try to ambush friend me every time I go through Caliburn, but not a lot of at-world-level ones.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
natenkate wrote:
Yeah, My son was excited about Zafaria when it came out. He played for an hour the first day it was in live realm and hasn't played the game since. He has no interest in Avalon. When he saw me get hit by a critical Storm Lord (stunned) by enemy 1, a critical 1000 point insane bolt by enemy 2, (skipped due to stun), then another critical 1000 point insane bolt from enemy one followed by a critical Triton from enemy 2, killing me before I even got a turn (thanks to a temporarily non-functional crit block), he just slumped his shoulders and walked away. It just isn't fun for a young child to have to do strategic planning for every battle.

On the other hand, this game has a massive adult player base and they repeatedly cry fowl when things are made easier. They seem to think this needs to be a hard-core game in order to be interesting. And a lot f them don't seem to remember what it was like to be a young child whose brain is not wired for plotting every move in battle for 5-6 turns ahead of time.

I love Avalon as an adult player, but so far, I have only met one leveled up player there who I believe was under 10 years old. Lots of menu chat level 30-ish who try to ambush friend me every time I go through Caliburn, but not a lot of at-world-level ones.

Several good points here- I am a very casual gamer, and what most people in the Arena would probably refer to as a "noob" (even though I'm level 76). I don't have the time or patience for some of the stuff we're supposed to do- at least my waterworks gear was worth the many hours I put into farming it; the legendary crafting quest was not. And I feel your son's pain- I didn't like Zafaria, but Celestia and Marleybone's Spiral Geographic are much worse.

As an adult gamer, I enjoy a challenge and like to strategize. But, sometimes, I just want to have FUN (because that's what games are for, right?), and cheating bosses/things that makes my brain hurt are NOT fun. KI could save the cheating, etc. for optional towers/dungeons- and, if the older/more-experienced players want a "challenge", that's what PvP is for.

My idea of "fun"? I like taking my adept/magus friends to visit Malistaire- we farm for rare drops and our level 50 gear (since mine has yet to make an appearance., haha) My friends love it, and I don't mind taking them- I go there to get away from cheats, and other annoying things (though there is no escaping the dreaded Weakness/mantle, haha).

The other day, I had one such friend port to me while I was fighting a street mob in High Road. He got kind of freaked out, and asked if he should flee- I just laughed and said no, stay awhile and check it out, I'll heal if anything goes wrong. Fortunately, he's a nice kid and was very helpful, so having him on board was not an inconvenience. :)

I just hope that KI doesn't forget that we inexperienced players ( young and old) are people, too.

Explorer
Jul 22, 2009
vonawesome1 wrote:

I really think they should change it back considering Black Mantle really only involves luck. With Weakness, people could find a way around it with skill.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Mario2463 wrote:
vonawesome1 wrote:

I really think they should change it back considering Black Mantle really only involves luck. With weakness, people could find a way around it with skill.

This is true.

When faced with Weakness-spammers, I just wand them off before blading up (since we have no way to get rid of it after the fact, without taking our blades with it). I also carry Cleanse Charm TCs or, because I'm a sorcerer, stack Unbalance (Balance dispels) and spam that instead.

Between Unbalance, Availing Hands, and Mana Burn (which, when it works, is awesome), I have time to blade/buff/heal everyone, keep the Weakness-spamming at bay, and stop the Master of Death from taking cheap shots at my teammates when he has no pips (because I stole them, d'uh).

That said, I defied the odds the other night, and beat the black mantle all 4 times it was cast on me. My accuracy isn't super-high, either (only 85% base- I'm still in WW gear), so I definitely got lucky there. :)