Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Idea's on First Turn advantage.....

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
I have seen several suggestions on how to correct the First Turn Advantage, and I don't agree with many of them at all.

One states, we need to reduce the cards of the person going first, sorry I don't like the idea. As that could put the person going first at more of a disadvantage in the long run.

Another states to give the person going second one more Pip.

One stated to give the second person an extra shield, or a spirit and elemental shield.

One stated to keep switching the person going first, after so many rounds.

Another state to use chess moves, and after each move the spell is complete. Not a bad idea, and better than what we have now.
The problem here is that the first player is always one pips and one turn up on the second. Maybe not a huge advantage, but for some it is clearly a advantage.

I still think the best way to fix this, is to have both select their spells at the same time, and the spells are completed then.
The damage shows up at the same time, and you don't have player that is blind for the entire match.
Next round, both players select their spells, both spells are completed, and damage is done at the same time.
This would work for 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4.

For example, in 4v4, the 1st two opposing wizards would select their spells and they would complete. The Second would select their spells and the spells would complete, then the third and fourth set of wizards. Each set of Wizards damage would show up as soon the the spell was completed, but to both sides at the same time.
This way it not all one side using their spells, it could be one side, one wizard and then the other side (one) wizard casting his one spell.

From my point of view, this would work so much better than what we have now.
The going first advantage would be crushed, and PvP would be much more enjoyable, then getting stuck going second 75% of the time.

Looking for suggestions or comments on why this would not work.

Thanks,
Joe.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
So if I understand you.....it is still turn based, but the effects for both sides would not be applied until the next round, correct?

So a first turn player could cast stun, but the second player would continue to cast. The second player would be stunned on their next turn, after drawing a card.

Interesting, but the side affect is that players can react to all spells now. Not a bad thing, but players are more likely to see less results from their debuffs (since players that have said card in their deck will be able to use it, if it comes up in their hand).

Explorer
Jul 18, 2009
Lion359 wrote:
I have seen several suggestions on how to correct the First Turn Advantage, and I don't agree with many of them at all.

One states, we need to reduce the cards of the person going first, sorry I don't like the idea. As that could put the person going first at more of a disadvantage in the long run.

Another states to give the person going second one more Pip.

One stated to give the second person an extra shield, or a spirit and elemental shield.

One stated to keep switching the person going first, after so many rounds.

Another state to use chess moves, and after each move the spell is complete. Not a bad idea, and better than what we have now.
The problem here is that the first player is always one pips and one turn up on the second. Maybe not a huge advantage, but for some it is clearly a advantage.

I still think the best way to fix this, is to have both select their spells at the same time, and the spells are completed then.
The damage shows up at the same time, and you don't have player that is blind for the entire match.
Next round, both players select their spells, both spells are completed, and damage is done at the same time.
This would work for 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4.

For example, in 4v4, the 1st two opposing wizards would select their spells and they would complete. The Second would select their spells and the spells would complete, then the third and fourth set of wizards. Each set of Wizards damage would show up as soon the the spell was completed, but to both sides at the same time.
This way it not all one side using their spells, it could be one side, one wizard and then the other side (one) wizard casting his one spell.

From my point of view, this would work so much better than what we have now.
The going first advantage would be crushed, and PvP would be much more enjoyable, then getting stuck going second 75% of the time.

Looking for suggestions or comments on why this would not work.

Thanks,
Joe.

Personally, I think giving 2nd turn 1 more white pip is an excellent idea.
Since your first you will have 1 less pip, but that makes up for NOT being 2nd...

I guess the only disadvantage would be that 2nd turn can "Storm Lord" or stun and hit spell before first turn can, But people would be prepared for that kinda thing, I think the 1 white pip thing is a great idea.

However I am interested in your idea as well.

Defender
Oct 15, 2009
There is another game that uses this approach. It hasnt turned out very well. It seems like the foundation of the game will never truely to be able to get rid of the "someone goes first" approach.

However it would be nice to have some part of the selection process. Before the match starst have each player click to roll a random number generator, magic dice, whatever. While this does not address the advantage problem it would at least help counter the feeling the coding is being unfair. Almost giving the players at little more of having influence into whatever fate awaits them.

The other way would be to incorporate a spell or bubble that reverses the turn order. Can you image getting into a bubble war with that one? I dont know if that would be a good thing or not, but there are alot of spells that seem unfair until we are the ones using them.

There is a great sense of satisfaction pulling a win from going second especially in the high levels.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
This idea will not work, and any idea that changes the rotation will not work.
KI would have to change the entire game to do that, so ignore this posting.
Please read my other posting on New idea for First turn advantage.

Thanks,
Joe.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
As a side note, I moved it over to the Dorms, as I cannot post it under PvP.

Joe.