Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Instanced Areas - Too Long?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Feb 21, 2009
I believe that this game's Instances are WAAAY too long. Katzenstein's Lab took me two hours with a group of 3. Some of us do not have this much time during the week, and must wait until the weekend to do these areas.
Normally I would skip them, but a lot of them are REQUIRED. It's almost a rip-off for some subscribers, as their memberships waste away while they wait for the weekend to come.

This problem could be easily solved by a very simple solution, cut down on the number of mobs. In areas such as Katz lab, there are places where you CANNOT get by without getting in a battle. I've seen places where one section of building is covered with 5-7 mobs. If you cut that number to 2-3, you have a chance, and can save 15 minutes of your valuable time (yes, sometimes the battles DO take that long).

Please post your thoughts about this.

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
There are some long instances, but Katzenstein's Lab isn't one of them. There are what, three battles that you have to do in the whole instance? Four if you want to do Smogger, too, I guess, but there's no reason to do more than that.

I'm not familiar with the Dragonspyre instances (of which there are only three), but other than that, for a typical class playing solo, Sunken City, Counterweight East, and Counterweight West are on the order of an hour and a half, while Big Ben and Tomb of the Beguiler are more like 2+ hours. Kensington is reputedly longer yet, but I haven't done it. The rest of the instances should be on the order of an hour or less.

I would like to see the long instances cut into two separate parts. Katzenstein's Lab is fine, though.

Survivor
Feb 20, 2009
I agree with you 100%. Some of the instanced areas are way to long. I do not have the time to spend 1 - 2 hours playing non stop. During the week or on the weekend. I also feel that having them so long makes it harder to find people to join you. You have to find people to join you that have a lot of time at the same time you have a lot of time. I've also been left hanging because my friends didn't realize how long it would take to complete and they had to leave.

My suggestion would be to keep them to 20 -30 min to play. Period. After that amount of time, anything gets boring and it's time to move on.

These long instanced areas are the only thing a really dislike about the game, and the more of them I get to the more I dislike them. It really leaves me a negative feeling about the game.

Defender
Feb 18, 2009
I agree with this completely. I like the challenge but at the same time, being a father, it is very difficult to be able to sit in front of the computer hours upon hours just to finish one task. I've tried it in many ways such as doing part of it and then coming back, nope that doesn't work because once you leave the instance (even if you quit in the middle to come back later) your put back to the beginning to start all over. I've tried doing a bit, going to eat dinner, and then coming back, nope that logged me out. I've tried it with help, and yes this works but only to a certain extent. Meaning it only works because with multiple players help battles go faster but at the same time there's more risk of one of them getting pulled into a battle by accident in which case you have to go back and help them or be mean and wait for them to battle it on there own or be defeated. A good example for me was the Tomb of the Beguiler. It took over 2 1/2 hours for three of us to get through it all and we hardly got pulled into mob battles. I think it was only 4 at the most throughout the whole level.

I've even been caught in one of these levels by myself because those that were helping had to leave for one reason or another (usually a parent telling them to get off the computer, dinner, bedtime, or something like that).

I don't want it to be shortened so much that it takes the challenge out of it but at the same time, the consideration that members just don't have that kind of time to sit in one spot for that length should be considered.

Thanks,
Hunter SilverHeart

Explorer
Feb 21, 2009
Quizzical wrote:
There are some long instances, but Katzenstein's Lab isn't one of them. There are what, three battles that you have to do in the whole instance? Four if you want to do Smogger, too, I guess, but there's no reason to do more than that.

I did everything in Katz lab, but the big thing about it taking so long was the fights. People in my group (me included) were continually getting in fights, and when fighting mobs 3v4 it can take a while. Also, one of the people I was working with was level 20, so we (the other member of the team) had to keep her alive as she only had about 1,000 HP.
gnreno3 wrote:
I don't want it to be shortened so much that it takes the challenge out of it

I agree, I don't want them completely nerfed, I would just like to see the number of street mobs drop.

Explorer
Feb 07, 2009
i would like to see the time drop because i only have 4 hours a day and 2 hours is half that and my mom gets mad at me if i take more time maybe 20 - 30 min. at the most i dont have 2 hours ! :( :(