Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Life is being displaced ... unicorn in shops

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
Just saw that the unicorn card is in Zafaria card shops giving anyone group healing capabilities with low pip cost whether they use the life amulet or not. Since not all life players have high outgoing, almost anyone can heal as high as life heals with this card if they go with high outgoing. I also noticed that life's pixie card is no longer castable upon others for two pips which was always a life thing, and that pixie cards castable upon others are available in the card shop. Also noted is that balances healing hands is one power pip quicker to cast than life's healing touch card which most life players don't put in their decks cause its pip cost is simply too high.

With unicorn now available in card shops, and with spritely and unicorn on pets, and life's pixie card in shops with life unable to cast it now upon others, life has been displaced.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
seasnake wrote:
Just saw that the unicorn card is in Zafaria card shops giving anyone group healing capabilities with low pip cost whether they use the life amulet or not. Since not all life players have high outgoing, almost anyone can heal as high as life heals with this card if they go with high outgoing. I also noticed that life's pixie card is no longer castable upon others for two pips which was always a life thing, and that pixie cards castable upon others are available in the card shop. Also noted is that balances healing hands is one power pip quicker to cast than life's healing touch card which most life players don't put in their decks cause its pip cost is simply too high.

With unicorn now available in card shops, and with spritely and unicorn on pets, and life's pixie card in shops with life unable to cast it now upon others, life has been displaced.

None of this is new. These cards are available as treasure cards in the bazaar and have been for quite awhile now. You just seemed to have stumbled on them in a world-specific shop.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
seasnake wrote:

Not sure what you saw as far as a Unicorn card in Zafaria card shop. Not one there or any other card shop, and I just came from that shop.

The Pixie you are referring to for 2 pips as being castable on others is in fact Fairy. Why this card is in Card shops is beyond me. It should not be there. You are right about this one. It has always been a Life school only, but now appears it can be bought by other schools. Don't like that KI.

The Pixie card that is castable on others by other schools is a 1 pip card and has always been this way. That card is the Sprite card and has been available in the card shops as long as I can remember.

Balance's "Healing Hands" is a 3 pip spell but their "Availing Hands" is a 4 pip. The Life's "healing touch" that you are referring to is Regenerate and it has always been 5 pips. I don't know many life wizards that actually load more than 1 of those if even that. It is also available on an amulet. Occasionally this spell does come in handy.

To sum this up, Unicorn is NOT available in the card shops, so you must have seen a temporary glitch. Life can still cast the FAIRY on others to heal. And as for others being able to have SPRITE, that has always been there. As to the pets with SPRITELY or UNICORN, neither of these spells give enough heal to displace Life Wizards.

Be Content. Life wizards are still going to be around for a long time. In the long run, even if other schools can use some of the heals, it gives us Life wizards some chance of actually using our attacks and still be able to keep ourselves and others alive when necessary.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
seasnake wrote:

Yeah, and with the crafted gear, life can be storm now. I mean they can heal as life, but with a storm mastery amulet and crafted gear, they get storm accuracy, storm damage boost, storm critical and all the storm treasure cards are out there too?

Oh wait, it is like this for every school. So, every school is now displaced.

What ever are we to do? Oh me Oh my Oh!

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
Life has never been able to learn pixie.

In unicorn way, every school but Life obtains the pixie card. Life learns FAIRY which can be cast on others.

As a life wizard, I do not feel displaced just because someone can buy unicorns and pixie cards. I say let them. They can do all the healing while I cast forest lord.

As for the touch healing you mentioned, I suppose you are talking about regeneration. I do happen to use that card--frequently. I actually like the heal over time more than the one time heal. It keeps a person healed even when they are getting hit by the enemies every round. No, it is not good to revive someone that is dead, or near dead, but like every spell in the game, there is a time to use and a time not to use.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 70 Life

Adherent
May 20, 2010
Pixie was never usable on other wizards. Life wizards get the Fairy spell, which has the same characteristics of the Pixie spell, except that it can also be used on the caster.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
@Seasnake,

I agree with your observation that Theurgy as a special school of magic is being diluted. I'm conflicted as to my opinion, though. On one hand, I love the idea that my theurgists will now be free to focus on damage strategies but, on the other hand, my theurgists are losing what makes them incredibly special in the game, the singular ability to give life to others.

I worry about the idea of healing spells being diffused among whomever wants to buy them for a couple of reasons. But the most significant reason is this: People choose Theurgy as their magic school because they really want to be Life wizards, their personalities resonate with the school of Theurgy, and there's some spark of kindness and generosity that marks them as Theurgists. We Theurgists are proud to dedicate our time and efforts to patience and teamwork.

If Theurgy is diluted as a special school of magic, then the game dynamic could be changed significantly in terms of teamwork and community, the very traits that mark Wizard101 as a very special game environment.

Ugh, I guess I'm lingering on the side of reducing the number of Theurgy-specific spells that are available in libraries, amulets, pets, robes, etc. Every wizard gains a pixie spell for self heals. There's no need to allow wizards who are not Theurgists and who did not train Theurgy as a secondary school to now access these unique spells.

I realize that this is probably not a terribly popular idea with those wizards who have not spend the time and effort to train a Life wizard in the Great Spiral. Unless a wizard has flown on a Life wizard's broom, s/he has no idea the challenge that a Theurgist faces alone in the Spiral. It seems to me that the beautiful heal spells we achieve should continue to be special to the school of Theurgy.

Here's hoping that my baby Theurgist, Taryn Earthsinger, will have the chance to play a unique role in the Spiral, as has her older sister, Iridian Shadowweaver.

May the great Moodha shine his wisdom upon this topic,

Qbb/Iridian Shadowweaver, Taryn Earthsinger, Scarlet Ravensong, Rowan Earthsong, Alex Dreamwalker, primary and secondary Theurgists

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Seasnake, I have a correction to make to my original post concerning the Unicorn heal in the card shop. Due to some info that I found this morning, apparently that spell IS available in the card shop in Avalon.

Although I do think that some spells regardless of school, should remain as a school only spell, I have to agree with Queenlybluebean on the fact that it does give Theurgist the chance to actually do some damage and believe me, some of them can do considerable damage when given the chance.

I don't have a problem with other schools being able to use some of the heals, BUT, I do think that if you CANNOT train a certain spell as a secondary school, it should not be showing up in any of the card shops or the bazaar as a TC.

Unless, something is changing with Avalon, you could not train any secondary school spells over a rank 6 and there are some lower rank spells you can't train either. The untrainable spells have always been school of focus only. Any spell that is not trainable or over a rank 6 should not be available as a TC to any other school.

The unfortunate problem is that some Crafting quests require the use of spells that also have to be crafted and it also makes those spells tradeable and sellable. I am hoping this is just a minor oversite that KI may have missed.

At any rate, I still think that Life wizards even if slightly diluted as Queenlybluebean said, will still be a very useful school to have around in many battles. Hopefully, KI will make some adjustments and correct some of these issues soon.

Explorer
Dec 29, 2009
OMG Treasure Cards from all schools are sold all around the spiral. So I guess each class should pick something they don't want anyone else to be able to use and complain about it here. So Balance should say I don't want anyone to be able to use our helping hands. Or storm to say no one should be able to buy tempest treasure card. Ridiculous. If you are not wearing a mastery amulet then its expensive to throw from another school. If you have an amulet and can not get the treasure cards then what is the purpose of the amulets. Please understand the mechanics of this game before coming here complaining things are wrong and should be changed.
So in your opinion we should say all our schools are being displaced......... Im sorry but they allow you to off spec schools for a reason and buy treasure cards. I seriously doubt allowing all wizards to use a tiny unicorn heal when they have no heal stats is going to mess up your flow. at most will no in or out heal if you get lucky and crit it may be a 1000 heal not worth three power pips if you are not wearing a amulet. Give it a break....

Defender
Feb 15, 2009
I have an Ice wizard and a Life wizard.

Life wizards don't have a 'teamwork' reputation to me. If anything, it would seem that that's Balance. And just because you're a Life wizard doesn't mean that you're kind and generous; I see kind and generous Diviners all the time, and even rude Theurgists.

I've always loved Ice, but if I'm stuck in a dungeon solo, then I need some help. That's why I bought the Life Mastery Amulet, and I've used it all the time since then. And before anyone starts about how that's unfair to Life wizrds, I've also healed Theurgists because they were too busy with Forest Lord to heal. Life can do more damage to enemies than Ice can, so it makes sense that they should be the ones attacking.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I started playing a life wizard, and I love it. It does not seem like Life is being displaced. I can see how the mood seems to change in battles as soon as my life wizard enters battles that others are fighting.

They see me as a life wizard, and the air just seems to lighten... just a little. I can fire healing spells quickly while the rest do their thing and fight the enemies. Treasure cards are expendable, and unless a player continuously keeps up their inventory, they'll run out.

I love being a Life wizard, they are exotic, powerful in every way, and highly sought after to make life easier for everyone else.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
goldendragon18 wrote:
I don't have a problem with other schools being able to use some of the heals, BUT, I do think that if you CANNOT train a certain spell as a secondary school, it should not be showing up in any of the card shops or the bazaar as a TC.

@GoldenDragon18,

This quote explains my position as well.

I also don't object to Life mastery amulets; I use one with my Fire, Balance, and Myth wizards, all of whom trained Life as their secondary school, including all of the spells above satyr. I also purposefully cultivate crafted gear, pets, and plants to augment my secondary school spells. My Pyromanceress and Sorceress can pull off a beautiful critical Satyr or Centaur :)

I just persist in the feeling that some Life spells are, well, special to Theurgy, and Unicorn is one of them.

Moodha's Blessings,

Qbb/Iridian Shadowweaver

Historian
May 01, 2010
Though, you got to remember, there is NO subsitute for life. Almost EVERY person complaining about 'life is getting useless', seems to miss the fact that those very life TC's are 1 time use only, real unicorns, fairies, and rebirths, however, are as unlimited as your mana (and in pvp, as unlimited as the battle).

Defender
Feb 12, 2011
Frankly speaking, as a level 70 Storm Wizard, I spend more time these days using healing spells (life mastery amulet) on other players (including life) then I do on hitting.

It is so seldom for me to encounter a life wizard that actually wants to still cast healing spells on other wizards. I get it, after playing for so long to build their wizards up to such a high level, the average life wizard is probably sick and tired of helping others.

But let’s not pretend that lvl 70 life wizards are widely known as "kind" and "ready to help heal." In fact from everything I've seen, the complete opposite is true.

that's fine by me, of course, it's there prerogative on how they choose to play the game - but any time I'm in a fight with others and a life wizard is present and doesn't heal - they almost always act angrily when asked to help heal someone who is hurt.

Now I've responded to Seasnake in another post on the same topic - and frankly speaking, that wizard just wont be happy until he gets his way - but for the rest of us high level and low health wizards (can I get a shout out from Storm and Fire?), the ability to cast a 2 power pip Satyr on ourselves is needed.

And, as I said early on in my post, I'm often the one casting Satyr on other wizards who have decided to hit early and have now pulled aggression from the enemy. Want to take my Unicorn spell from me? Fine by me - but then don't cry when you die in a fight and I intentionaly keep the Satyr card for myself :)

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
AmericanHappy wrote:
Want to take my Unicorn spell from me? Fine by me - but then don't cry when you die in a fight and I intentionaly keep the Satyr card for myself :)

No problem from me; I have my own Satyr spell. I would be embarrassed to take a storm wizard's heal from him or her. Such fragile creatures, storm wizards. I should know, I've spent a fair amount of time keeping them alive while they display their power and steal all the damage hits.

As I said in my earlier post, I don't have a problem with wizards who train life as a secondary school using some Theurgy-specific spells. I just don't think wizards should have access to those spells that are not trainable, including in treasure form. I feel the same way about all school spells, in fact. I think wizards should earn the privilege of school spells, not just buy them.

This is similar to the argument about buying versus crafting recipe items. Some wizards feel they should have the right to get those items for no effort other than to click "buy", while those of us who work for them disagree. In fact, this is also the same type of problem that I have with the new crowns gear that sports school symbols. Those outfits used to be gained only through dedicated farming, but now people can get them for no effort. It's disappointing for the wizard who farmed for those items.

As I also said in my earlier message, I know my position isn't terribly popular in this age of instant gratification. But I also know that there's more to Life than instant gratification :)

Moodha's Blessings,

Qbb/Iridian Shadowweaver, Transcended Theurgist

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
queenlybluebean wrote:
AmericanHappy wrote:
Want to take my Unicorn spell from me? Fine by me - but then don't cry when you die in a fight and I intentionaly keep the Satyr card for myself :)

No problem from me; I have my own Satyr spell. I would be embarrassed to take a storm wizard's heal from him or her. Such fragile creatures, storm wizards. I should know, I've spent a fair amount of time keeping them alive while they display their power and steal all the damage hits.

As I said in my earlier post, I don't have a problem with wizards who train life as a secondary school using some Theurgy-specific spells. I just don't think wizards should have access to those spells that are not trainable, including in treasure form. I feel the same way about all school spells, in fact. I think wizards should earn the privilege of school spells, not just buy them.

Moodha's Blessings,

Qbb/Iridian Shadowweaver, Transcended Theurgist

Queenlybluebean, WELL said. My thoughts exactly.

If you can't train it, then you should not have it in TC form. And that goes for ALL schools.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
AmericanHappy wrote:
Frankly speaking, as a level 70 Storm Wizard, I spend more time these days using healing spells (life mastery amulet) on other players (including life) then I do on hitting.

It is so seldom for me to encounter a life wizard that actually wants to still cast healing spells on other wizards. I get it, after playing for so long to build their wizards up to such a high level, the average life wizard is probably sick and tired of helping others.

But let’s not pretend that lvl 70 life wizards are widely known as "kind" and "ready to help heal." In fact from everything I've seen, the complete opposite is true.

that's fine by me, of course, it's there prerogative on how they choose to play the game - but any time I'm in a fight with others and a life wizard is present and doesn't heal - they almost always act angrily when asked to help heal someone who is hurt.

Now I've responded to Seasnake in another post on the same topic - and frankly speaking, that wizard just wont be happy until he gets his way - but for the rest of us high level and low health wizards (can I get a shout out from Storm and Fire?), the ability to cast a 2 power pip Satyr on ourselves is needed.

And, as I said early on in my post, I'm often the one casting Satyr on other wizards who have decided to hit early and have now pulled aggression from the enemy. Want to take my Unicorn spell from me? Fine by me - but then don't cry when you die in a fight and I intentionaly keep the Satyr card for myself :)

My first and favorite gal is my Theurgist. I hit or heal whatever my team needs. I am finding my Life gal is quite popular again. Sometimes my heals hide at worst possible moment. I ask people to hang around so I can heal them. I guess I am old school.

All of my other wizards have Life trained with a Mastery Amulet. My friend teases me saying all my gals get played like my Theurgist, even my Storm.

I have no problems at all with the Mastery Amulets. I love Wizards like yourself that help out in pinch. I do have problem when school specific spells are widely available to all. Anything one has to do a teacher quest to receive should not be available to other schools period IMO.

Megan

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
mom2mykidzcrcj wrote:
My first and favorite gal is my Theurgist. I hit or heal whatever my team needs. I am finding my Life gal is quite popular again. Sometimes my heals hide at worst possible moment. I ask people to hang around so I can heal them. I guess I am old school.

All of my other wizards have Life trained with a Mastery Amulet. My friend teases me saying all my gals get played like my Theurgist, even my Storm.

I have no problems at all with the Mastery Amulets. I love Wizards like yourself that help out in pinch. I do have problem when school specific spells are widely available to all. Anything one has to do a teacher quest to receive should not be available to other schools period IMO.

Megan

Megan,

First: Hello! It's wonderful to see you writing here again :)

I am old school as well, and I always play my Theurgist with my team's well being first and foremost in mind. That said, as a soloist, I set up mt deck to hit and heal :)

I also play my Fire, Balance, and Myth girls as healers; I think it's in my DNA. My Girl Power coven is a sight to see, with all the shared healing going on. We all train our wizards this way, and the benefit is that everyone gets to join in the fun of setting up for nice hits.

But I reiterate and agree, there are simply some Life spells that are special to the School of Theurgy. Especially those spells that are gained from school-related quests :)

Cya in the Spiral,

Qbb/Iridian

Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011
I am a level 80 Balance with Life as my second school (trained life to Satyr) , wear Life Mastery Amulet and use life treasure cards. It seems natural to me as Balance to also be a healer.

I don't see life as being displaced at all--and they aren't just healers. One of my favorite pvp partners is a Life and she does heal but wow can she ever fight!

A well bladed Forest Lord is something to fear!

Survivor
Dec 21, 2009
Just an observation but if you want friendly ,helpful life wizards how about we treat them as valuble "friends" and not tools to do our bidding? You may find that friendly requests work better then demands. P.S A little praise also helps them feel needed :D

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
A few things you overlooked:

Unicorn Treasure Cards have been Common Drops and commonly found in the Bazaar since W101's Launch.

By your logic, Life has been "displaced" since the Vial of Rebirth amulet was released with Celestia.

So yeah. It isn't that huge a deal. Don't worry.