Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Arena suggestion and a spell idea

AuthorMessage
Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Just to get this out of the way before my Sub ends and I take a break:
Conjurers puzzle:
Two pips:
Either stuns a target for two rounds or places two myth traps on enemy.

Arena suggestion:

So there are many different ways to play and be successful in the arena. Without things like critical or attack boosts that are given to players based on the gear they very much do earn by completing challenging and time consuming tasks such as waterworks or anything of that nature, there is enough luck and chance involved already. Spells don't all have 100% chance to cast, turn order can put things in your favor and power pips and the frequency they appear can be a deciding factor in a fight as well. Ever won or lost because of a power pip or a fizzle? I bet you have!

Well, things are great with just those certain random factors. Why not have it so that when players enter the arena, gear boosts are nullified? If the arena can at its best be like chess, then let's try to preserve that without the lust for souped up gear. If players can have infinite mana or have their health restored right before the matches begin, why not have it so that attack and resist stats are ignored? Let the player's spells and their spell set dictate the action. We have enchants, we have pierce to soften shields, we have critical, conviction, all of these useful spells that can be applied in interesting ways. Do we really need gear stats to add on to those effects?

Let's nullify stats in arena and see how that plays out. No one can say that other players are hitting as hard as storm, or what have you. The base damage can only be increased by sun enchants or of course your charms and or environment bubble of choice (Ice dome, etc). There is enough luck involved.

And in doing this, we also bring back those old challenging spells. Things like minions, which Ice and Fire use almost as much as Myth, can last longer than before and are not immediately ruined by a critical shot. And spells like black mantle wont be less effective because of gear that gives players 25% accuracy to everything.

I think flattening the stats in this way helps preserve the effectiveness of spells and can also help soften the advantage of those going first as well. Let our spells dictate the fights and not our gear.

If mana can be ignored, so can other stats, yes?

Some things I know will be asked:
What about Ice's low attack power and high health? They need defenses and resist to survive": Enchants can boost their attack power, spells like fortify can beef up their defense, and they already have the highest health as designed when one plays as an ice wizard. They also have the most shields and armor spells to protect themselves and last in a fight.

What about athames and amulets?:
This should only affect attack, resist and critical/block stats. It should not affect things like mastery amulets or power pips.

Power pips?:
I think we take power pips for granted already, but we should leave power pips alone.

Heal boosts?:
Heal boosts granted by gear are ignored.

I'm sure there might be good reasons why this shouldn't be done, what are they?